Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 01:04   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

^^ I read that, and was only kidding

So Sonata Embera CDRi is not on the table here, huh?!! I love that car, and maybe will grab it when I sober down with age!!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 10:32   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

I also love the Sonata Embera CRDi, but that may be out of my budget

So, I will be going tomorrow to check out a few cars. If anyone on this forum, knows someone selling it please let me know (Elantra CRDi that is)
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 10:37   #18
BHPian
 
raj.barcode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 678
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Bingo you are absolutely right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpit View Post
@ phoenix



i think he sold it because of the above reason.
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 15:31   #19
BHPian
 
quicksilvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Excellent comparison raj.barcode.

As you had owned both cars at some point, I have a couple of questions -
  1. How about the cost of spares? As this is the first thing which put me off of Skodas.
  2. Your experience with Skoda vs Hyundai service - ASC vs elsewhere.
  3. On papers, the specs look like this:
Elantra - 112.16bhp at 4000rpm, 249Nm at 1800-2800rpm
Octavia - 90bhp at 4000rpm, 214Nm at 1900rpm
With a smaller turbo it should be spooling up much earlier. Any figures for comparison??


Last edited by quicksilvr : 19th February 2010 at 15:43.
quicksilvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 16:49   #20
BHPian
 
raj.barcode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 678
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

I generally don't believe in numbers as the acceleration etc depends on lot of things other than the size of the motor

Cost of spares (skoda) in the company is sky high but outside its probably not too much of variation than Hyundai as mentioned about 15% higher. If you want will let you know where to pickup in bangalore

Since i know people in Vinayak skoda they have been amazingly helpful and cordial; no issues what so ever.

But i have had bad experience with JPnagar Hyundai A.S.S as they say they don't stock even the Brake pads for elantra which was surprising and took two days for replacement.
and
They had not even polished my car properly after paying Rs.1800 for the same


Figures for Comparison nope; but night drives of Bangalore is enough to compare ones car to the other; IF you can understand what i meant



Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilvr View Post
Excellent comparison raj.barcode.

As you had owned both cars at some point, I have a couple of questions -
  1. How about the cost of spares? As this is the first thing which put me off of Skodas.
  2. Your experience with Skoda vs Hyundai service - ASC vs elsewhere.
  3. On papers, the specs look like this:
Elantra - 112.16bhp at 4000rpm, 249Nm at 1800-2800rpm
Octavia - 90bhp at 4000rpm, 214Nm at 1900rpm
With a smaller turbo it should be spooling up much earlier. Any figures for comparison??

raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 17:19   #21
BHPian
 
quicksilvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
I generally don't believe in numbers as the acceleration etc depends on lot of things other than the size of the motor
Totally agree with that. Just trying to narrow down on possible contributing factors.

Quote:
Cost of spares (skoda) in the company is sky high but outside its probably not too much of variation than Hyundai as mentioned about 15% higher. If you want will let you know where to pickup in bangalore

Since i know people in Vinayak skoda they have been amazingly helpful and cordial; no issues what so ever.
Interesting. If I had come across this information couple of months ago, it would've made my decision even more harder, but it's immaterial as I don't live in Bangalore. But good to know information!

Quote:
But i have had bad experience with JPnagar Hyundai A.S.S as they say they don't stock even the Brake pads for elantra which was surprising and took two days for replacement.
and
They had not even polished my car properly after paying Rs.1800 for the same
That is pathetic. Hope HMP, Chennai does a better job.

Quote:
Figures for Comparison nope; but night drives of Bangalore is enough to compare ones car to the other; IF you can understand what i meant
Oh yea...would love to be part of one of those sometime
quicksilvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 10:16   #22
BHPian
 
brraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 794
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

@thedreamcatcher - You can get an embera for around 7lakhs, you should give a try buddy.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 15:43   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Hi Guys

Checked out a few cars over the weekend

Classic Auto (luxury Car Showroom near Banerghatta Road) Showed me an Elantra 2004 reg in 2005 and a Skoda Octavia

Details are as below

Skoda Octavia (I tested this car first)

2002 Model - 1.9 TDI
4.67 Lakhs
2nd Owner

The car was maintained pretty well and was good through the gears as well Except I noticed some problem with the clutch. There was constantly some vibration being felt under the clutch pedal.

Anyways, I kept it out of my mind, because they were quoting a high price, that to with no Climate Control and TC. However, it did have Stanley leathers and a DVD ICE with Roof Mounted Display


Elantra

2005 Registered
Single Owner
Comp Insurance, Blue Colour
Decently maintained
Felt very comfortable in the car and it was good to drive

Price though, again was quite ridiculous
5.75 Lakhs

I told him my requirements and left the place. Said Ill pay him 4 for this model, else I am not interested

Also, spoke to a dealer on the Mandovi motors road, has two cars, but again quoting high prices

Elantra

2004 Model, 2nd Owner, Third Party Insurance and wants 4.70

another car was 2005 model, but for 5.80

Told him to take a hike

So still seeing some more cars today.

Raj.Barcode is being immensely helpful and trying to get some people to show me some cars. So, I am going with him this evening to see a car from a trusted source
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:22   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

No luck yesterday, as the guy who was supposed to show me the car, informed me that the owner was out of town.

Says he will show me the car today
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:34   #25
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Dreamcatcher I advise you to also contact Popular Automatch, which is the used car division of Nandi Toyota, who are located next to the soap factory near Iskcon. We bought a used accent from them recently and are immensely happy with the transaction.

They buy the car from the owners and then refurbish it and sell it, unlike others who act as brokers. They do not buy cars which have met with accidents and give a 1 year warranty for cars less than 5 years old. I do not know if they have an crdi elantra right now, but you should call them and let them know about your requirement.
hemanthisgreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:47   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Dreamcatcher I advise you to also contact Popular Automatch, which is the used car division of Nandi Toyota, who are located next to the soap factory near Iskcon. We bought a used accent from them recently and are immensely happy with the transaction.

They buy the car from the owners and then refurbish it and sell it, unlike others who act as brokers. They do not buy cars which have met with accidents and give a 1 year warranty for cars less than 5 years old. I do not know if they have an crdi elantra right now, but you should call them and let them know about your requirement.
Thanks for this. Will check it out.

Could you give me some details on the pricing. How much did they quote to you and how much did you get it for. Just want to understand what I will be up against
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:00   #27
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Thanks for this. Will check it out.

Could you give me some details on the pricing. How much did they quote to you and how much did you get it for. Just want to understand what I will be up against
The car in question is a 2004 model Hyundai Accent Tornado GTX. The top end model of Accent. It had run 50k. The price quoted was 3.15 lacs, we got it for 2.85 lacs. We were buying the car for my cousin and he knew someone in Trident, we took the car to Trident and got the car valued, ie at what price they would buy, they gave a figure of 2.7 lacs and said that 2.85 lacs was a fair price.
hemanthisgreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:27   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Superb. Thanks for the same. Will be giving them a call
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:31   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Also, can anyone provide me some feedback on the deals I mentioned above

And secondly, what do I need to look out for in an Elantra as check points
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:16   #30
BHPian
 
raj.barcode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 678
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

There are lots right from wind shields to engine checking it is quite a long list
best is to take to a local mechanic with you and

also check the history with the company best two things to do



Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Also, can anyone provide me some feedback on the deals I mentioned above

And secondly, what do I need to look out for in an Elantra as check points
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Skoda Octi vRS da MotorHead Shifting gears 4 7th December 2007 00:14
Elantra GT vs Elantra Crdi(Was skoda vs elantra) azifali Sedans 39 17th August 2006 12:56
elantra crdi gtd vs elantra crdi (leather pack) super_700a Sedans 3 10th August 2006 07:38
Elantra CRDi v/s Used Elantra CRDi v/s New Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi lamborghini Sedans 36 30th January 2006 00:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks