Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 28th May 2010, 09:15   #16
BHPian

Just try and get them into the back seat of a Manza and take a spin. They'll buy it, Tata or no Tata. It's that good.

Otherwise, the i20 is quite surprisingly spacious at the back, and comfortable too. And it has good safety ratings.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

The trouble with any tata is that it'll start rattling and breaking down in 6months. Having experienced meru cabs for a while, I'd definitely recommend a logan. Most of these cabs have 150k+ on their odo and the car still feels really solid. The ride is way better than any tata I've been in including the safari as it doesn't roll like a boat.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:50   #18
BHPian

Default Best Used Car for Rear Seat Comfort ( Diesel Preffered)

Dear All,

I need to buy a car for My Wife. She doesn't like to drive in Mumbai traffic hence it's has to be comfortable at rear seat. The monthly running expected will be around 1800 km ( 90% of which will be in city), hence it's important to buy a used diesel. My budget will be approx 4 to 5 Lakhs. The requirements will be Fuel Efficient, Comfort and being a 2nd hand low on maintenance. Will like to go for sedan as the rear space will be better as compared to Hatch

Thanking all of you in advance
Saurabh

Mods, I tried searching a thread with this requirement but couldn't find one which matches my requirement. Incase if any such thread exists kindly merge this into the existing one.

Last edited by saurabhkum : 1st June 2010 at 13:00. Reason: Spelling Mistakes, additional information
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

You open to Sedans as well or only hatch backs?

Scout around for a good Optra.
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:15   #20
BHPian

Go for a sedan only if you need the luggage space as well, especially since this is for city use. Otherwise, there are plenty of roomy hatches, like the Fabia.

You can get a good used Fiesta TDCi for that amount. Solid, reliable, roomy, frugal. It's also easy to drive, so you can drive it yourself it in a cinch.

Another option would be a new Indigo XL TDi at less than 6 lakhs. If you book quickly, you might even get free insurance. Since you have a driver (I assume) the bigger turning radius, turbo lag etc won't be a problem. You'll also be getting a new car with warranty, with excellent backseat comfort, rear AC vents, rear power windows, and as much legroom as a limo. Only available in white though. The TDi engine is reliable and frugal if not refined.
Old 1st June 2010, 15:20   #21
BHPian

Why not a Safari, big on rear seat comfort, you sit high as well, which is much better than sitting low in congested cities.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:25   #22
Team-BHP Support

You can get all the qualities you desire in a new hatchback, The Tata Indica Vista. The space is even better than cars twice the price, with the Multijet engine from Fiat its reliable and its cheap to maintain too.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, The Ford Ikon Tdci meets your criteria.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
You can get all the qualities you desire in a new hatchback, The Tata Indica Vista. The space is even better than cars twice the price, with the Multijet engine from Fiat its reliable and its cheap to maintain too.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, The Ford Ikon Tdci meets your criteria.
Very true, the Vista is mighty comfortable at the back, and you get a brand new car as well in your budget, how could I forget the Vista, after having one in the family.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 16:21   #24
BHPian

The Vista has rear seat which are comparable to cars in much higher segments. We have owned a Vista for almost 1.5 years now & my wifey uses the back seat only, she too is petrified by the traffic in my area (pump house, andheri) and she has found the rear bench to be excellent. Also the car is quite frugal, but the only problem is that the AC vents, if not adjusted properly do not tend to cool the back bench sufficiently. This is my personal observation since my driver used to divert all the vents towards him initially.
Its also got an ABS model only so it will also be a safe car to be in. Other option is the Swift, but I have never liked the rear bench & leg room is pretty cramped.
Maverick1977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:09   #25
BHPian

well i was not planning a new car and wanted a used one. also was not so keen on new tata car as resale is low and it's better in that case to find a used tata car to save initial buying cost.. it seems tata have finally made their presence felt.
I plan on 2nd hand to save on cost.
how are skoda's in used car segement, is it worth to put money on them as in this price cars will be approx 4 to 5 years old and have done 40 to 50 thousand kilometers.
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:42   #26
Team-BHP Support

^^ The only used Skoda car in your budget is Octavia. Octavia is a very good car, the only problem is very high cost of spares and poor service support. For Example: a clutch or AC compressor replacement with taxes can run close to one lakh rupees.

You may also do not like the lack of space, even the front passenger seat does not slide all the way back.

Finding a 4-5 year old diesel car that has done just 50k kms is a very tough task.

Last edited by .anshuman : 1st June 2010 at 18:45.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 23:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
well i was not planning a new car and wanted a used one. also was not so keen on new tata car as resale is low and it's better in that case to find a used tata car to save initial buying cost.. it seems tata have finally made their presence felt.
I plan on 2nd hand to save on cost.
how are skoda's in used car segement, is it worth to put money on them as in this price cars will be approx 4 to 5 years old and have done 40 to 50 thousand kilometers.
The newer Tatas don't seem to be easily available in the used car market yet, so resale is not yet an issue. I don't think it will be either, because the Vista is far less troublesome, especially the Quadrajet engine which is a gem. Don't pick a car based solely on resale. You end up catering to the eventual buyer's needs rather than your own. Why let some unknown person choose the car for you? You'll never gain money selling a used car unless it's a classic. So do yourself a favour and find a solution that suits you.

Cost - Since you are willing to put down 4-5 lacs, why not go for a new car? Tatas are unbeatable in rear seat comfort. That is why you see so many Tata taxis. A new car will some with a factory warranty. That will end up saving you money, especially vs a higher segment used car. Keep in mind tha higher seg. cars also mean higher seg. expenditures. I went through this 'Buy used C-segment sedan' idea myself before giving it up and settling for a new Indigo CS. I was close to buying an Elantra CRDi with 78K on the odo. Then I asked at the Hyundai ASC about routine servicing costs, upcoming maintenance etc, and got scared off by the prices quoted.

Skoda suffers from truly cutthroat ASCs. The problem with the higher segments is that most of the parts for them are imported, because a lot of the cars are only assembled here.
Old 2nd June 2010, 00:20   #28
BHPian

I feel the new Indigo CS - e Version, has just come in time for you, use for 3 - 4 years and the upgrade.
Pros - Class leading rear seat comfort, within budget, getting a new car instead of a used car.
Cons - Tata.
But the best bet incase you dont want a new Vista
neofromcapone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:44   #29

definitely the Indigo CS is a better bet. It has a better image,nice service back up, cheap to run and maintain, more comfortable and to top it all its also a new car. I guess its the best option for you.
architarora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
I feel the new Indigo CS - e Version, has just come in time for you, use for 3 - 4 years and the upgrade.
Pros - Class leading rear seat comfort, within budget, getting a new car instead of a used car.
Cons - Tata.
But the best bet incase you dont want a new Vista
I didn't recommend the new Indigo CS e-LX because it costs 5.65 lacs OTR for the CR4 diesel (price at Trivandrum, might be more in Mumbai) . The old TDi in LS trim will fall just above 5 lacs, but it can't be registered in Mumbai, being BS3. If you can get it registered (outside of Mumbai) then it's a good car to be driven in. The LX model with power windows and some other bits will be about 5.3 lacs OTR.

The Vista Quadrajet Aqua is available for 5.06 lacs. (OTR Tvm), ex-showroom price in Mumbai is 4.73 lacs. Only thing lacking is rear power windows, which can be added for additional 7K (OEM). Better rear seat comfort than most sedans, efficient and proven 1.3 multijet diesel, and the wife can even keep an eye on the speedo from the rear seat!

Last edited by vivekgk : 2nd June 2010 at 11:01.