Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 10th May 2010, 21:22   #1

Default Moving up the ladder

I am sure that this is one of the dilemmas that most of us would have faced till date.. WHAT CAR?.. I am one with the same.

Having owned cars in the mall and C+ segments the urge to move up now has been on the mind for some time. I have spent some time quietly researching the threads for what I would look at for my car, sadly the opinion is always mixed like a thread by vids, which went from accords/crv/jetta and settled on altis.

The need would be for a car in segment of 15-20 L. The next bit would surprise most of the people here...yes the car would primarily sitting at home and would be used for the occasions where the status would demand the same. It would also be the car for highways while traveling with family. The car would be chauffeur driven 80% of the time and rest by us.

We would need a car that would be safe basically ( the thud of the palio doors still rings in my ears). It should also have lots of space since we are used to stretching our legs completly . Good comfort is the factor that would clinch the deal since parents love to have their siestas during travel

Petrol would be the choice of fuel since our running doesnot make any diesel sense.

I havento TD ed any car as of today and would like to listen with open mind for any suggestion to help me take my plunge

Cheers
viana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 21:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Skoda Laura? But lets not get started about Skoda's A.S.S

If you are open to used cars, Accords, Camarys or maybe if you are lucky a BMW?
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 01:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

VW Passat 1.8 TSi M/T.
Fun to drive, has the status, safe and sturdy for the highways and in your price bracket IIRC.
Avoid the Skodas simply because of their A.S.S.

If not, then the only other worthwhile option would be the Sonata Embera or Accord.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 01:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Teana maybe. Read rumours on the forum that prices could come down a bit.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 02:08   #5
BHPian

I would suggest you an Accord 2.4 MT/AT in your budget. Ample legroom and will keep you happy when you drive. Laura is out since it is meant to be driven. Other cars you may get is a Superb 1.8 MT and a Passat. Check out a Superb, you will be amazed by the technology they give in the car. It can give hard times to the E-class too. But be wary about the bad A.S.S they (especially Skoda) give.

If you are open to 2nd hand cars, you could get a '07 C-class, 05/06 E-class, '06 5-series (hard to find) or maybe a CR-V.

EDIT : How about the Altis? Gives you great comfort, nice peppy engine and even saves you some dough.

2nd EDIT : How about this, eh? Looks extremely well maintained by the owner. You can't go wrong with this car and the spare parts won't even pinch your wallet.

Last edited by prateekm : 11th May 2010 at 02:19.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 15:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ Lambo

Passat is upward of 20 L. Thanks to ridiculous tax structure in Bangalore. Same goes to Accord.

@ Shuvc

Again that is above 20L

@ prateek

Same reason except for the Altis.
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 11:55   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The need would be for a car in segment of 15-20 L. The next bit would surprise most of the people here...yes the car would primarily sitting at home and would be used for the occasions where the status would demand the same. It would also be the car for highways while traveling with family. The car would be chauffeur driven 80% of the time and rest by us.

We would need a car that would be safe basically ( the thud of the palio doors still rings in my ears). It should also have lots of space since we are used to stretching our legs completly . Good comfort is the factor that would clinch the deal since parents love to have their siestas during travel
Chauffeur driven + highway usage + back seat comfort? Go take a spin in the Sonata CRDi. I know you've asked for petrol engine'd recommendations, but the diesel Sonata is the better bet. Its well built, has amongst the most spacious interiors from the segment, great engine + gearbox, and makes for a fantastic highway cruiser. The car is infinitely more comfortable than the Cruze / Laura / Jetta and fits well within your budget too.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 15:17   #8
BHPian

Agree with GTO on Sonata transform 2.0 crdi.

Test drove the manual version. It costs the same as Jetta diesel but it is more comfortable to live in with loads of space, easy to get in and comfortable ride at the back. For driving it is comfortable to cruise around. For chauffeur driven car it is better than anything under 20L.

The diesel should give more than 11 in city and on highways if one can manage the get into the 6th gear I think it should be more than 16.

The only thing that is putting all of us off is the Hyundai tag. The mind says its a excellent car but just that it does not offer a snob value. All ignorant people will say the first thing 'itne main to Jetta aa jaata, Hyundai kyun liya'

If someone pulls in a Jetta and other in Sonata, everything else being equal, Jetta will get more attention as its German known brand. But, once you are inside the car you will know that Sonata cannot be beaten by Jetta for the drive comfort and space.

Another thing with Sonata is the pain to find space on the road. It is way bigger than Jetta and if you drive yourself in the city on daily basis, stay away from this. With a driver, you can just enjoy the space and comfort at the back.

I'm confused between the two but might go for Transform after one final driving test comparo on the two.

Good luck with your purchase.
jawanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 20:47   #9
BHPian

I completely agree on jawanak & GTO, but if the car is primarily gonna sit pretty in the garage & go out rarely, why not consider a used 3-series.
Its a great package over all, good driver's car, safe as hell. Sure, you'd have to sacrifice some interior space compared to the sonata, but the snob value may tilt you
Musicmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote