Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy if you had 5 lakhs to spent?
i10 40 17.39%
Beat 25 10.87%
Figo 71 30.87%
Vista 30 13.04%
Ritz 27 11.74%
Swift 37 16.09%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 11:09   #31
BHPian

Voted for Ritz.

Has a great engine, better FE than I10, quite spacious, fresh design and is slowly growing on to people, decent interiors, composed ride and very suitable for highways too.

Added advantage of higher seating(boon for city drives), easy ingress-egress, strong MASS backup, spares priced more reasonably than hyundai.

All the same are applicable to the swift also.. but its only drawbacks are its age and the fact that it is more prone to rattles than the Ritz (going by the reviews).
SilkDrive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th May 2010, 11:32   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal99 View Post
Thanks amitoj for your suggestions. So im assuming you must be talking about the Ritz Lxi as i doubt Vxi would fit in my budget of 5lakhs on road, or does it?
I'm not sure about OTR price in your town.

We have an i10 as well and though its a great car with a nice pick up, its handling is shoddy to say the least.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 09:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Voted for Ritz.

Has a great engine, better FE than I10, quite spacious, fresh design and is slowly growing on to people, decent interiors, composed ride and very suitable for highways too.
All the same are applicable to the swift also.. but its only drawbacks are its age and the fact that it is more prone to rattles than the Ritz (going by the reviews).
True. Ritz is definitely something which i found very repulsive at first. It was a bit too Renault Meganish for me then. But since then it has kind of grown on to me. Going by the petrol 'engines' the maruti and the hyundais engines definitely seems to be on a different level than the others as far as i understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I'm not sure about OTR price in your town.
We have an i10 as well and though its a great car with a nice pick up, its handling is shoddy to say the least.
Yeah i checked the Ritz Vxi and its coming to about 4.36 showroom price here. So i guess it might just fit in 'On Road'.

Once again thank you gentlemen for all your extremely valuable suggestions. It definitely makes my decisions easier.
liquidmetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 18:06   #34
BHPian

From my view
i10 scores better: Resale Value, A.S.S of Hyundai, VFM, Peppy engine.
After all.. it is proving (you can see more of them added to the street every day than any other)
classicselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 15:33   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Amongst the petrols, its hard to beat the i10. Superb build & quality, great interiors, peppy engine and light controls for the city. It's rather practical too.

Its either the i10 or the Ritz for you.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Amongst the petrols, its hard to beat the i10. Superb build & quality, great interiors, peppy engine and light controls for the city. It's rather practical too.

@GTO Always glad to know ur suggestions. I did manage to test drive the i10,Figo and Ritz. Loved the hydraulic power steering on Figo with the weighted feel but felt it was really sluggish on the second gear. On level roads its still okay but if youre going uphill it just struggles in lower gears. And incidentally some spare time and boredom resulted in me going for an i20 test drive too. And i have to say i was truly imrpessed with the i20. Wasnt expecting that much of a difference from i10 Ritz or Figo.

It felt like a very refined engine and a very smooth car. Loved the shifter, beautiful interiors and exteriors of course. It was all great. As a result i happened to check out the price for i20 Era the base model and surprisingly (for me) it was only 20k higher than Ritz Vxi. For that i dont mind sacrificing rear power windows and a teeny weeny bit of performance and going for an i20 than an i10 or ritz. So the funny part is im still as confused as i was when i started. Duh! car buying is such a painful process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
From my view
i10 scores better: Resale Value, A.S.S of Hyundai, VFM, Peppy engine.
After all.. it is proving (you can see more of them added to the street every day than any other)
Yes i agree. I think Hyundai has very much proven themselves in that regard. I could really feel that difference when comparing my own personal experience of visiting the Ford showroom and the Hyundai showroom. The dealings were just so much better!
Old 31st May 2010, 23:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I10??
Ya its got good Engine, neat interiors, decent service and resale but such a car with scary dynamics is the last thing I expected from GTO. I was expecting more of a Swift or Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal99 View Post
@GTO Always glad to know ur suggestions. I did manage to test drive the i10,Figo and Ritz. Loved the hydraulic power steering on Figo with the weighted feel but felt it was really sluggish on the second gear. On level roads its still okay but if youre going uphill it just struggles in lower gears. And incidentally some spare time and boredom resulted in me going for an i20 test drive too. And i have to say i was truly imrpessed with the i20. Wasnt expecting that much of a difference from i10 Ritz or Figo.
It felt like a very refined engine and a very smooth car. Loved the shifter, beautiful interiors and exteriors of course. It was all great. As a result i happened to check out the price for i20 Era the base model and surprisingly (for me) it was only 20k higher than Ritz Vxi. For that i dont mind sacrificing rear power windows and a teeny weeny bit of performance and going for an i20 than an i10 or ritz. So the funny part is im still as confused as i was when i started. Duh! car buying is such a painful process!
Yes i agree. I think Hyundai has very much proven themselves in that regard. I could really feel that difference when comparing my own personal experience of visiting the Ford showroom and the Hyundai showroom. The dealings were just so much better!
Firstly why I20 over I10. I20 is more sluggigsh due to the extra weight, has got poor FE. Handling as bad as I10. The only place where it scores is the Interiors & space. And I think you mentioned rear seats will mostly be empty. So whats the point??

In my opinion Ritz has it all. Performs better than I20. Handles better than I20. Cheaper than I20. Cost of ownership will be significantly less. Reliability has no question. Definately more fuel efficient. Again I20 scores on space which again will be pretty much underutilized.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 05:38   #38
BHPian

Voted for Figo only because I thought you were going for diesel. For Petrol, one of the Marutis or the Beat for the creamy engine, good FE and service. Ford service has been horrible so far, and Hyundai parts are expensive (not available outside ASC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal99
Things i'd love to have in the car in the order of its importance,
1. Decent FE
2. Decent performance (within the limitations of my budget of course )
3. Reliability or lets say peace of mind in terms of maintenance
Your requirements spell out Maruti Suzuki. Get either the Swift or the Ritz. Get them in a weird, rare color if you feel they're too common. Sure, the Swift is old, but believe me, no one will fault you for buying a Swift. The Ritz is still fairly new. I don't like the styling, but the interiors are cool, esp the tach in a pod. And the engine/gearbox will make up your mind once you TD them. Very, very good.

i10 is too small a car for the money you spend. Not VFM at all. The base i20 is a much, much better option.

The Beat also has good FE and a good engine, though not as good as the Suzukis'. Peace of mind is guaranteed because of the maintenance plan.

I haven't tried the new BS4 Vista Safire yet. Be sure to TD it, because the interior space and ride blows away everything else in the class.

I'd also recommend extending your budget and going for the Figo Diesel. You can get the base LXi at 5.15 lacs OTR, and the better EXi at 5.4 lacs OTR. Highly recommended. Only problem - waiting period of 45+ days. We almost booked it, but decided on the Indigo CS diesel, because we wanted a sedan. The Vista Quadrajet Aqua is also available at this range - 5.06 lacs OTR.

Last edited by vivekgk : 1st June 2010 at 05:46.
vivekgk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 11:15   #39
BHPian

Have you manage dto TD Vista? Voted for Vista coz imho, that is one true VFM car, and TASS have improved a lot over the years - I can vouch for that from the treatment I am getting.

i10 is good, but it have never inspired much confidence in me while doing good tripple digit speeds - I felt more comfortable in Vista, but that may be just me.

having done some long road trips in both i10 and vista, I will choose vista any day over i10 - the seats are more comfy, and we were less fatigued in vista than i10.
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 11:27   #40
BHPian

I was in the same boat and after considering all the options, read many reviews, did TDs. Finally bought an i10 1.2 Magna for delivery tomorrow.
mukeshgoel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:19   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ya its got good Engine, neat interiors, decent service and resale but such a car with scary dynamics is the last thing I expected from GTO. I was expecting more of a Swift or Figo.
There is nothing scary about the i10's dynamics. Its a superb city hatch and is best used that way. Of course, on the highway, you need to be mindful of the tall boy stance (as is the case with the Santro, Ritz, WagonR etc.). These aren't race track cars that we are discussing here, rather honest urban hatchbacks.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:54   #42
BHPian

I think i10 is a perfect city car that would be perfect for people who already have a bigger car for travelling on the highways/long trips. However when you have just one car you have to compromise a bit and the best compromise to me seems to be the Figo(less expensive, Good Handler,Good Space, Mediocre engine and FE both) or the ritz(ritz is more expensive but it comes with a better engine. Drawbacks would be handling(only relative to figo) and ride quality). Also you might be a bit disappointed with i10 since getz(your parent's ride) is much more spacious than i10. Maybe you should look at Punto 1.2
vishnurp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 16:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Sure, the Swift is old, but believe me, no one will fault you for buying a Swift. The Ritz is still fairly new. I don't like the styling, but the interiors are cool, esp the tach in a pod. And the engine/gearbox will make up your mind once you TD them. Very, very good.

i10 is too small a car for the money you spend. Not VFM at all. The base i20 is a much, much better option.

I haven't tried the new BS4 Vista Safire yet. Be sure to TD it, because the interior space and ride blows away everything else in the class.
Thanks vivekgk for the suggestions. I know the Swift is very very good car. Its just that its gotten a bit too old for me. You may call it personal bias if you will.
And like you said the base i20 seems to be quite an attractive offer at this point. I like the fact that it looks great even though i'll sorely miss the smart steering wheel that comes with Sportz and Asta versions with the mounted controls and all that jazz. Is there any way i could get that fitted, anyone?? Also since most of my travel will be inside city limits i find the i10 engine(though slightly sluggish cos of the weight increase) along with the electronic power steering will be of some relief, even though it might not be as good on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Have you manage dto TD Vista? Voted for Vista coz imho, that is one true VFM car, and TASS have improved a lot over the years - I can vouch for that from the treatment I am getting.
Thanks theexperthand for the suggestions. I did check out the Vista and it was pretty good. Very spacious and comfortable though i found it slightly more sluggish than the other cars around. And at that point the i20 was never in the picture. But now that it is, its an easy pick if i had to pick between these two. Hence i left it behind for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I was in the same boat and after considering all the options, read many reviews, did TDs. Finally bought an i10 1.2 Magna for delivery tomorrow.
@mukeshgoel - Congratulations on that. That sounds like a good choice.

Quote:
There is nothing scary about the i10's dynamics. Its a superb city hatch and is best used that way. Of course, on the highway, you need to be mindful of the tall boy stance (as is the case with the Santro, Ritz, WagonR etc.). These aren't race track cars that we are discussing here, rather honest urban hatchbacks.
@GTO - True. True. If we were talking abt racing cars these wouldnt be the ones in question anyways. Considering Ritz and the new i20 base are almost the same price, what would be 'your' pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Also you might be a bit disappointed with i10 since getz(your parent's ride) is much more spacious than i10. Maybe you should look at Punto 1.2
Exactly whats going on in my mind. Its not a great feeling to be moving to i10 from a Getz. But Punto, what can i say about this one. This was my first choice and has always been. Unfortunately i dont fancy a petrol punto. If i want one it'd have to be the Diesel Emotion. and i so wish my budget would extend to fit that. But it wont. :( If it did i would never even have a second thought and this thread wont even exist.

Btw, I am very close to booking an i20 Era (Showroom price 4.59l). Do tell me if im making a mistake. Or if im missing something. I'd love to hear.
PS:Also if anyone has any experience with Kun/Talwar Hyundai in Hyd? Who's better? Any input is highly appreciated. Thanks again everyone!
Old 5th June 2010, 17:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

I would go with ritz. The i10 will be way too expensive on maintenance with Hyundai recently hiking labour rates by 10-15 percent.
TD the ritz and you will surely like it.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 17:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I would go with ritz. The i10 will be way too expensive on maintenance with Hyundai recently hiking labour rates by 10-15 percent.
TD the ritz and you will surely like it.
Thanks sidindica. I didnt know about the labour rate hikes. I was considering hyundai to be somewhat on a similar level to Maruti although may be not as good. Guess im wrong now.

Btw that was a great review of the micra.