Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Closed Thread

Old 7th June 2010, 09:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new acquisition sureshkishore. Would love to hear about your experience of purchasing and owning a carburetor esteem (or rather an upgraded 1000).
Old 7th June 2010, 10:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

Having driven 96 Esteem as family car for many years, I feel its a reliable car. But being more than a decade old, dont compare it with others especially with SX4. It requires a lil bit of extra care like close service intervals and proactive maintenence to avoid failing on road when it comes to regular use.

Old Esteems tend to have lot of rattling issues compared to type 2s and 3s, ensure you get adjusted with it as nothing much can be done .
Old 11th June 2010, 22:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Congrats! Old Esteems tend to have lot of rattling issues compared to type 2s and 3s, ensure you get adjusted with it as nothing much can be done .
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition sureshkishore. Would love to hear about your experience of purchasing and owning a carburetor esteem (or rather an upgraded 1000).
Thanks Guys!

Having bought the car. Took it for a Drive to Cochin on Monday.

After 2500Rs worth Petrol and 600kms my initial impression of her:

Driving Position: Reminds you of go karting. Like sitting on the road. I like it.

Engine: Buttery Smooth free revving Engine is a Real Highlight of this car. Excellent throttle response & Great Drivability (3rd gear pulls cleanly from 20 to 120). As good as an A/T car. A/C load is not felt at all.
Gear Shift is good. Slightly rubbery but each cog falls in place in a clean fuss free manner.

Steering is really good and it gives good feedback. Feels confident at 3 digit speeds.

A/C: Cools Well but takes Time.

Ride and handling: Not the most comfortable ride at slow speeds. But at higher speeds things get better and so does the handling. Inspires confidence to take it to the edge.

Braking: Only average. Does the job. But not that sharp.

I feel Both the above points may be solved by replacing OE 155/80 tires.

Built Quality: Plastics and Trims are not the best, to put it politely. Odd rattles i feel is inevitable.

Expenses:

Horn replaced: 175Rs Hella (OE one in Swift)
Front Bumper upper Peice: Rs 400
Radiator Cap: 75 Rs
ORVM: 1100Rs (Internal adjustable)

All done at Dealer Workshop.

Parts seem to be really cheap.

Overall Mileage seems to be around 14-15kmpl (Highway/city : 70/30). Which is ok.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Thanks Guys!
Built Quality: Plastics and Trims are not the best, to put it politely. Odd rattles i feel is inevitable.

Front Bumper upper Peice: Rs 400
Seems like you got a well maintained car.

Upper and lower bumper are merged closely? I found it to be a bad design on Old Esteems and 1000s, there will be some space between this and sometimes uneven too.

Regarding plastics, it becomes worse if exposed much to Sun. Always use a Windshield Screen while parking.
Old 15th June 2010, 06:42   #35
BHPian

@Jacs: The Split design of the bumper saves money in the case of small nics.

Yes the car I got was really well maintained. Will post imore pics
Old 15th June 2010, 07:32   #36
BHPian

Pics of the car

Name:  DSC03314.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  DSC03316.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  DSC03317.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  52.4 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by sureshkishore : 15th June 2010 at 07:38.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ahaa very neat car. You are lucky Sureshkishore to have cracked the deal of a very good condition car otherwise this model esteem usually has no takers (just because of the condition) and is eventually scrapped. Have found a couple of them brought to the scrapyard to be scrapped. BTW i loved the dashboard(double dash design) of the 1000 and this model esteem as they look a lot bigger in size due to the extended AC ducts on the front door. They kinda look cool. I think i may not be saying this but do keep her in good shape physically and mechanically.
Old 15th June 2010, 19:27   #38
BHPian

@samsag12: Yes its quite rare to come across one in such a good shape.
Surely I intend to take good care of her like the other cars in my stable!
Old 16th June 2010, 02:23   #39
BHPian

Just thinking aloud ... what will you do if you really fall in love with this car too?

I mean, the Esteem is no slouch in terms of good looks, or on the road ... it is highly likely that someone who keeps a classic M800 in prim shape will spend some money on this car too, with each upgrade going towards making the car better ... slowly, slowly, you will fall hard for the Esteem too...

What will you do then? Take the bus to office?

(No offense ... just fun intended...)
Old 16th June 2010, 23:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenParadox View Post
what will you do if you really fall in love with this car too?What will you do then? Take the bus to office?
Nice thought there . But the scenario is highly unlikely.

Because the esteem has no classic value or snob value attached to it I am not paranoid about leaving it on the roadside.

Hey I must admit that to most level headed guys around, my reasons for buying the car could be irrational.

But hey! for a car-'nut', excuses for buying a car could be even more ridiculous.

Hope I am not part of an endangered group.
Old 1st July 2010, 16:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You want to buy another car, when you already have two, only because your office parking is on the street? I'm sorry but I just cannot agree to that logic:

1. The purchase price is a small component of the total cost, when buying a 15 year old car. It will require work from time to time. That's why its cheap in the first place. Do you have the time & the money?

2. Use that SX4 to commute to work! I can understand the SS80 is a classic, but the SX4 is a regular C segment sedan that you have bought (presumably) to use on a daily basis. Its 3 years old too. C'mon, it ain't no Rolls Royce Ghost. So what if she will get some dings & scratches?! You should see what Mumbai, Bangalore & Delhi BHPians go through. If we started worrying about scratches, we'd never take our cars out on the road. Anywhere.

3. Other options : Find a nice parking spot close to your office (even if requires a monthly payment). Or take the bus / train to work.

Just being honest here : Don't worry so much about parking on the street. Cars are bought to be used & driven, not merely pose as garage queens.

Very well said. I totally agree with and the real fact is that people are not sure if they can ride their new car from showroom to their home without a scrach in the bangalore traffic.

The other thing is as you are buying a car which is of 15yrs old requires a proper maintanance if not it will a burden on you.
Suggest you to keep a driver for your sx4 so that he can drop and pick you up from office and meanwhile he can maintain both your cars during the day time by washing and cleaning.

Regards,
Saleem
Old 1st July 2010, 20:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

beetle_boy he has already bought the car and is quite happy with his purchase. Do go through the previous posts before making a new post.
Old 1st July 2010, 21:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Pics of the car
Congrats! I am inspired to get a car like this too! She looks really clean!

@ Chennai BHPian's, any leads to a dealer selling cars for around 50K?
Old 1st July 2010, 21:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Suresh..nice acquisition.Indeed you are a Suzuki aficianado from what it looks.
Congratulations mate.The seat covers look very peppy btw !!
Old 1st July 2010, 22:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Suresh..nice acquisition.Indeed you are a Suzuki aficianado from what it looks.
Congratulations mate.The seat covers look very peppy btw !!
Coming to think of it, of all the cars that i have ever owned (about 12 in all) , only 2 were non Maruti's. (One was a 97 Fiat Uno, the other a 97 PUG GLD).

Those aren't seat covers exactly. Those are Towels I picked up from Big Bazar. 796/- for the set.

Glad you liked it.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 1st July 2010 at 22:48.
Closed Thread