Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 22nd June 2010, 23:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Some points to clarify:

1. No 7 Series models are made in India.
2. The S500 is great but believe me the S350 CDI makes a smarter choice. It may not be as fast but will do everything else equally better and get quite easy on your pockets.
3. If a drivers car is your only criteria then you could think of cars like XF-R etc. which are more driver centric or else for pure all round cars I do find the S / 7 great. I am quite surprised you do not like the 7, but then looks are a personal matter so you cannot go wrong with any of the 2.
4. I find the rear entry of the X6 very awkward, but then maybe thats just me.

or the best thing, save half your money and get the BMW 530D (F10) and in 2012 you can upgrade the E to the new S(W222) Which will set new standards for luxury cars. But for now if you must blow your money, while the S is not a drivers car it sure is one of the best buys in the price, and it sure will drive better then most SUV's
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Like a few in this forum, I'd recommend the XFR. Since you and your family enjoys driving, the Jaguar should be right up there in the list. Internationally, the XFR has won rave reviews and in my opinion, it has the best interiors in it's class, along with a handsome design.

If it has to be a SUV, think about the Range Rover, it might not be as powerful as the Q7 in it's diesel avatar (by the way, have to tried out the Petrol version of the Range Rover, it goes like stink, with over 500 horses), but it is something that is equally comfortable off-road as it is on it. In fact, it's a much more accomplished car than the Q7. Looks are a personal, but I rate the simple Range Rover higher than the over-the-top Q7.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

How about an import like Cadillac CTS or Lexus LS460L, if not something Merc, Bmw or Jag.
agspins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Have you considered a Toyota LC ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 05:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Have You Considered the Cayenne? It is one of the Best Handling and Driver Oriented SUV's in the market today ,any day better than the Rangies.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 07:48   #21
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The Range Rover Sports is the car to have. It looks good, has enough presence, is comfy and spacious and packed with features.
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

If I were in your place, I would go for LC200. Already you have a sedan in family, so its good to have an SUV that is known for reliability and toughness.

One more option is to buy one car for Rs. 20-25 lakh and other car for rs. 65-70 lakh. But this way you will have more cars ( and more things to remember like maintenance, etc. ).
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Hi,

or the best thing, save half your money and get the BMW 530D (F10) and in 2012 you can upgrade the E to the new S(W222) Which will set new standards for luxury cars. But for now if you must blow your money, while the S is not a drivers car it sure is one of the best buys in the price, and it sure will drive better then most SUV's

Yea this isnt a bad idea as well. Unless you want to grow a field of your own in the rear cabin space, the 530D would do just fine for you. Cream of an engine, interiors borrowed from the 7...( have experienced them, nothing short of marvelous ) and of course, understated simple but classy looks with clean lines ! ( again, if u dont like the new 7....i dont know how much you would love or hate the f10 5 )
But all in all, its an amazing car to own with great power and diesel economy
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:10   #24
BHPian

how about Audi R8, or even R10 ? that will take you out of the Merc monotony and you get a super car !
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Does the M3 have very poor rear seat space?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Considering all the options given to you by the experienced bhpians, even I would recommend going for an SUV. It will be spacious and will bring a variety to your garage .

And in SUVs, like you yourself said, you should consider the Q7. Its stylish, very powerful and reliable too! Only thing is the number of service centers it has compared to Mercedes.

Along with Q7, try taking a look at the GL model. Its equally spacious and powerful (cant comment on the driving experience though).
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Considering all the options given to you by the experienced bhpians, even I would recommend going for an SUV. It will be spacious and will bring a variety to your garage .

And in SUVs, like you yourself said, you should consider the Q7. Its stylish, very powerful and reliable too! Only thing is the number of service centers it has compared to Mercedes.

Along with Q7, try taking a look at the GL model. Its equally spacious and powerful (cant comment on the driving experience though).

Spacious yes....but powerful ?...i doubt...if u r comparing it to the Q7 that is.
It has a 3 L diesel engine with 225 PS and 510 NM torque which isnt bad but considering its size and weight, dont expect it to be all that quick. The Q7 ,even with the 3.0 TDI has more power at 240 HP and similar torque rating & the 4.2 TDI ? ..hehe..lets just not compare
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:00   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
how about Audi R8, or even R10 ? that will take you out of the Merc monotony and you get a super car !
audi r8 is quite a bit over the budget mentioned here. and i think hes looking for a family car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Does the M3 have very poor rear seat space?
im 6 ft 4 and ive sat in the back of the m3 once. it was fine for a 20 minute drive. any more and it would be painful.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Have you considered the New Cayenne?

I believe that will a be a good option.
Avoid the S Class. It just doesn't feel as special as the new 7. Look at the 730Ld if you want a sedan, and the new 2010 Cayenne if you don't mind an SUV. I am not sure of the launch dates though.
If you are willing to wait a bit longer, check out the new Audi A8 which is supposed to be coming out this year.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:31   #30
DNS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
you mean XF my friend.
Sorry, my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
just my 2 cents here...as u mentioned if you r going to be driving around yourself most of the time and you thoroughly enjoy driving...frankly i do not think the S is the car for you..be it 350 or 500. besides which you already own a Benz. True you dont mind buying a second one but i suppose you can further explore your choices and ponder.
Sedans,you have a wide choice but seriously if somehow, you fall for an SUV make sure its the 4.2 TDI Q7. i own an Audi, and have test driven the 4.2 before. KILLER ! ..is a mild term for it ! Will be loved by one and all
I also have an Audi, so the having 2 of the same brand is never an issue. already have 2 mercs.

The flash factor is not a factor at all (don't believe in status & its symbols)

Have experienced the Q7 4.2TDI, and agree with u a 100%.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 12:09. Reason: Fixing quote
DNS is offline   Reply With Quote