Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 5th July 2010, 07:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Champion : .. I have a Chevrolet Lumina in Dubai and it is one gas guzzling machine (albiet mean and powerful).
Champ, the Lumina may be a gas guzzler, but I dont think the Endy falls in the same category. For all it's size & looks, it is pretty light. So much that the powerful engine would hardly break a sweat to pull even a loaded vehicle. I would not be surprised if it gave you a FE close to what you are getting with the Qualis.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 10:59   #17
BHPian

Unhappy My answers...

Dear aargee,

1) The status of the engine is clean since we service it regularly with Anamalais Toyota in Kumbakonam. But since the vehicle is primarily (99%) chauffer-driven, the driver has kind of strained the engine by driving in lower gears. He's of the stupid opinion that the car would deliver better mileage that way. So the only technical glitch I would say is that the car lacks the torquey nature that was previously there. My cousin spoke yesterday and he said that we should go in for a synthetic engine oil change which should resolve the problem. I am not sure this would help though,

2) The things that I would like to change are:
a) Seats,
b) Exterior paint, albeit I wish to just have touch-ups, not complete,
c) Audio system - DVD screen with proper ICE (I already have a Pioneer ICE with USB option though.)

And dear Condor, would you recommend the Endeavour? I have seen it in paper and in the forum, looks good but somehow I am not sure I would want to invest in such a huge vehicle.

And vivekgk, even as days pass by it does get difficult to source parts. The problems you pointed out is quite right. I had a very hard time sourcing parts for our previous Ambassador which had an imported Isuzu engine. I finally managed to find them in Pudupettai (which is a place in Chennai where you get used spares!).

Thanks
Champion
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 13:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Champ, can you explain what you meant by saying :
Quote:
the driver has kind of strained the engine by driving in lower gears. He's of the stupid opinion that the car would deliver better mileage that way
I am typically driving one gear lower than most people - but this keeps the vehicle in the power band, and I get a slightly lower FE. How does your driver do it ?

1. Why do you want to change the color ?
2. ICE is a common expense here - upgrade or refresh.
3. Seats is an extra expense for the Qualis.

So,
+ 6.5 for Qualis
+ 45 k saved for seats & interiors
+ 15k saved on painting (considering that the offer you have is based on current condition which the prospective buyer has seen & is ok with)

= 7.1 L.

Add 10L and you will get a new Endy. (I am not sure if the 17L is based on OTR or ex-Showroom price. So your final price will vary accordingly).

Check out the Endy before you decide.

Sorry, but I had to present the other side of this equation, now that you have presented a possible alternative.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:25   #19
BHPian

Default oops!

I got that wrong condor, its the opposite in fact. The Driver stays in the lower gears most of the time and does not change to higher ones immediately when he speeds. One weird practice but considering that I have learnt to drive from him, I am at a loss of words to explain this to him.

And frankly condor, I think it would be a better idea to trade-in the Qualis for another vehicle than refurbish her. I haven't got the time to do it and I am rather sorry for it. I come down for a month for my vacation every year and I find it odd if I have to spend that month refurbishing the Qualis rather than enjoying travelling around.

SO THANK YE ALL FRIENDS! I HAVE DECIDED ON PURCHASING A NEW CAR (MUV RATHER). JUST THAT I WILL HAVE TO COMPROMISE ON THE INCOMING VEHICLE. Nothing could be close what the Qualis has been all this while.

Car-searchingly yours,
Champion
Old 5th July 2010, 17:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Champ - that was a quick decision. Hope we helped.

Reg your driver's driving - you could explain to him the recomended gear-speed ratio's, as per the owner's manual. But atleast he does not seem to be lugging the engine, like most do. Curious, but have you been able to note down at what speed / rpm does he shift each gear ?
Old 5th July 2010, 19:39   #21
BHPian

Well condor, I haven't noticed the RPM levels when the driver does that, but I kind of notice when the engine struggles to get along. Will have to tell him clearly not to do that once I get the new vehicle. By the way, my heart is kind of leaning towards the Innova since it will be pocket-friendly than the Endeavour. And its a Toyota after all. I'll just have to do my maths properly now (not that I had been any good at it earlier!).

Such beautiful creatures these cars are that one can't be left for the other!!!

Mind-wanderingly yours,
Champion

And you guys certainly helped condor! I should be dropping down to Bangalore sometime in January next year. I hope to meet some of you then. We had a mini-meet out here in Dubai. Btw, do you guys (Tbhpians) meet up in often in Bangalore?

Thanks

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th July 2010 at 21:07. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 22:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but I look the other way
45K for seats & interiors
25k on painting
25K for miscellaneous
I still save 10 Lakhs & retain the gem
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 00:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Well condor, I haven't noticed the RPM levels when the driver does that, but I kind of notice when the engine struggles to get along. Will have to tell him clearly not to do that once I get the new vehicle. By the way, my heart is kind of leaning towards the Innova since it will be pocket-friendly than the Endeavour. And its a Toyota after all. I'll just have to do my maths properly now (not that I had been any good at it earlier!).

Such beautiful creatures these cars are that one can't be left for the other!!!

Mind-wanderingly yours,
Champion
You cant go wrong with Innova and in the bargain you also save your backside from the ride that the Endy rear leaf springs offer. In addition, the Endy last row is nothing to write home about as you practically sit on the floor.

Innova coil spring suspension as well as general ride and handling is much more sorted out and even a 6 footer can use the last row. Of course we are assuming that the person in the middle row agrees to share some of the huge the leg room that he has and slides his row fwd to sits like he would in a normal sedan.

You would of course miss the 3.0 litre Endy engine, automatic as well as 4*4 option but given that your driver drives it most of the time, that seems to be the least of the worries.

I own an Innova VX and love it. The ease of drive means my wife also takes it out by herself many times.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 6th July 2010 at 00:29.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 08:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Champion : The Driver stays in the lower gears most of the time and does not change to higher ones immediately when he speeds.
Champion : .. engine struggles to get along.
Champ, the above two lines are confusing.

If the gear is lower, then rpm is higher, and you actually have more power available. FE is lower.

Is the engine struggling to move the vehicle ? Or is it at higher revs ? Engine will struggle when you lug the engine - trying a higher gear at a low low speed.

So which way is it happening ? Suggest you sit behind the driver, note down the gear, speed & rpm to help understand what is happening.

With the kind of strength we have in BLR, we keep having a lot of mini meets. Not the type the Chennai gang has, though .. Come over, I'm sure you will be able to catch up with atleast a few of us.
Old 6th July 2010, 09:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well, the mechanics have been giving you wrong info. The Qualis engine will easily, with routine upkeep last another 2 lac kms in good health.

Coming to refurbishing part , I do not want to comment on the interior costs as that is personal tastes and budget but on the car, spending around 50-60k is completely justified and reasonable for a complete refurbish.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 10:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi Champion, looks like the vehicle is chaueffer driven most of the time ?

In this case, with your family size of 5 + kid (and considering the driver), a couple of your folks are bound to end up on the last row, in which case the Innova will definitely fit the bill better than the rest, in terms of comfort.

In any case, please ask your Dad to experience the ride (on varied surfaces) in the last row during test drives of all vehicles, before you make up your mind.

Of course, my above suggestion assumes that you have made up your mind on buying a new vehicle
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 11:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Sell it! 6.5 L is way a dream price for a 2004 model 9L+ category vehicle. I cannot believe that someone has offered 6.5L for the vehicle, No matter if it's a Toyota. Because even Innovas of 3-4 years old have hard time finding that price.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 11:43   #28
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess the only thing that may be going on in Champions mind is "Why do I sell a trouble-free vehicle which I had purchased brand new and buy a 2nd hand trouble free vehicle?"
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 12:00   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

@V12, what makes you think he is considering a pre-owned one ?
Old 6th July 2010, 12:16   #30
BHPian

Question

v12 - Well you could say that v12, but then since I've decided to go in for a new vehicle, I am not pondering with that question any longer. And like condor said, I am considering a new one v12.

mooza - Thanks for factoring my requirements. Even I am thinking on those same lines. The Innova would suit my needs, but its just that weird shape that we (Dad and I) have to get used to.

Now the only other thing I have to start doing is find the exact model according to my requirements. My requiremments:
1) Dual A/c,
2) Wooden Dash trims with the Door panels too (I kind of think they are cool),
3) A decent sound system (or that could be compromised for something better outside),
4) Rear Sensors, Body colored bumpers, Non-leather seats,
5) Cool Alloys,
5) And more particularly a Diesel.

Will all these requirements come under 12 Lakhs on road fellas and which would be the model that I have to ask for?

Thanks
Champion!