Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 6th July 2010, 13:25   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

@Champ - just head for the top-end model, Even if it went a tad above 12L. As much as the other features are desireable, I hope you dont skip the ABS & Airbags.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 13:39   #32
BHPian

Airbags and ABS are not option condor, they are a must. Albiet I should've mentioned that. Thanks.

I had waited 3 months for the ABS fitted Swift last year. I hope I wouldn't have to do the same with the Innova. Does someone know if a new Innova offering or a new variant is coming up by this year end?

Thanks
Champion!
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 11:21   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You have an offer of 6.5 lakhs on the Qualis. To refurbish it the way you want, it'll cost a lakh. Thus the real question is:

7.5 lakhs for a 7 year old car with 1.5 lakh kms, OR 9.xx lakhs for a brand new, thoroughly more modern, vehicle.

You have to be kidding. A brand new Innova without doubt! It is a superior MUV in nearly every way.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:12   #34
Team-BHP Support

If you dont like the Innova's looks from the outside, consider the Fortuner. you get better looking exteriors, and the same interiors as the Innova. Ofcourse, you do spend as much as the Endeavour. LOL!

However, you do have to put up with crazy waiting periods for the Fortuner.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 18:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Not surprised at the price that you were offered , since the Qualis has very good re-sale value. Cab operators will lap it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
...some auto myths that I am uncertain of. Firstly, I have heard from mechanics that a diesel engine is just good for 4 years/100000kms ...
Not true of the Qualis diesel engine...I know of well-maintained examples ( running as cabs) where vehicles have run 4-lakh+ kms with engine-timer-belt changed just once.

PS : Is your RS a diesel or petrol version? I was under the impression that the RS was available only in Petrol.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 7th July 2010 at 18:09.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 18:13   #36
BHPian

Thumbs up

Dear GTO, point noted. You are talking logic and I think that counts. I have already decided on the Innova now. Researching on the model to chose from.

And benbsb29, I don't mind getting the Fortuner back in India, but then if its only going to be chauffer-driven then i don't see the point in stretching the budget. We are there for a few days every other month and I think the Innova would do. So here goes, another Innova owner in the making.

Champion!
Old 7th July 2010, 18:26   #37
BHPian

Default My RS is a diesel!

Blue Thunder - Well I understand the engine's capabilities friend. My RS is a diesel and was one of the first to be delivered by Lanson Toyota, Chennai. Its a beautiful car, though unfortunately I don't have her pictures here in Dubai. Quite treasured.

Now the only other thing I have to do is run behind the guys at the RTO for a number. It would have been so good if one can retain the number like we do out here in Dubai, U.A.E. Its an added investment when you have to buy the number everytime you buy a vehicle. And at times they get so crazingly costly and what with the letters of recommendation for these single digit numbers, the going gets tougher.

Champion!
Old 7th July 2010, 18:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : If you dont like the Innova's looks from the outside, consider the Fortuner. ... Ofcourse, you do spend as much as the Endeavour. LOL!
Benny - not as much as the Endy - more than that, and almost twice the Innova

Quote:
Champion : .. I don't mind getting the Fortuner back in India, but then if its only going to be chauffer-driven then i don't see the point in stretching the budget.
would have been one lucky chauffeur !
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 01:53   #39
BHPian

You are really really lucky to get 6.5 for a 2004 qualis. I thought you could get a used innova at that price.
prasanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 02:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanth View Post
You are really really lucky to get 6.5 for a 2004 qualis. I thought you could get a used innova at that price.
Yea, you can get a used Innova for 6.5 lakh. But the Qualis is still in demand and hence enjoy a high resale value. I've seen prices as high as 7 lakh for a '04 model RS recently!
Anand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 03:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not true of the Qualis diesel engine...I know of well-maintained examples ( running as cabs) where vehicles have run 4-lakh+ kms with engine-timer-belt changed just once
+1; I don't know about 4L, but I've travelled in a Qualis with 2L Kms on odo & the ride was great.

@Champ - Since your Qualis is trouble free, you can pump in little money to beautify or add accessories or ICE better; OR buy a new car like Fortuner by spending a lot money.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 10:38   #42
BHPian

Smile

Dear aargee, we have decided to go in for an Innova. Just working on the model which would fit our bill. I think I could just sell the Qualis whole-heartedly since its being bought by an uncle. This is a recent development, albeit I doubt if I can ask for 6.5l from him.

I wish we had cars like the Toyota Previa or the Mitsubishi Grandis. It would have been such a pleasure owning either of them. Hmmm.

Champion!
Old 20th July 2010, 08:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi Champion, congrats on booking the Fortuner ! Just saw your post on "I booked my car" thread. Do keep us posted on the ownership experience, once it gets delivered in March. Have you decided to sell the Qualis ?
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 17:35   #44
BHPian

Hello Mooza,

Didn't notice that reply of yours. Thank you so much. It was a difficult decision. But it's my Dada who is rather insistent that he is driven in a Fortuner than the Innova and I couldn't convince him otherwise. So the Fortuner it is, and I am waiting. But you know what, that drooling isn't there. Those dreams of the new vehicle aren't there. Something's wrong. I am probably getting old!!!

Cheers
Champion!
Old 14th September 2010, 17:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hey Champ, nice to see your reply (maybe you might not have missed my post if you had followed the quick links / subscribed threads option, the most useful feature of TBHP ).

But then again, what happens to the Qualis ?
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote