Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 15th July 2010, 00:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

It's not like Santros are hard to find. All in all, it would be much better to find a petrol Santro and add a CNG kit from a reputed installer, for more peace of mind. You never really know what you're getting when picking up a used car, and better to pick up a car that's as stock as possible.
Very prudent advice and absolutely the right one. Do not buy the CNG Santro. Go for a petrol Santro for a significantly lower price.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:46   #17
SRG

Smile Update! Its Hyundai Santro

Update guys, finally got a decent Hyundai Santro. As adviced by fellow BHPian's I dropped the Idea of Ikon and started with my search on Santro. As adviced by Vivekgk & Amartya I didn't go for used CNG Santro either.
I was so busy with the work at office that even after finalizing the car, it took me nearly 2 weeks to take delivery of the car. I didn't even checked the car thoroughly, had no option but to believe in what dealer said. The knowledge gained on Team-bhp helped me a lot in finalizing the car, but couldnít look into the small details because of the busy schedule.

Here are the details of the deal.
Model - Hyundai Santro (Black)
version - xp
Mileage - 33000
Year of Manufactre - 2006 (registered in 2007)
Final price - 2,40,000
Down Payment - 1,00,000
Loan - 1,40,000
Rate of Interest - 18%
Condition - good (Tyres are good for another 5000km or so, minor scratches, non-accidental)

Paid 5000/- to dealer and spend another 6000/- on the insurance as the same has been lapsed. Checked the car's history with KUN Hyundai, as per them all the free services were done from them. The last free service was done in Feb, 2008 at around 4000km. It was brought again for service on Aug 2009 at 21000km. Since then the vehicle has not visited their service center again. Talked to the owner, he said he was getting the service done from outside. That was OK with me & I somehow got convinced that the mileage on odo was genuine. But later, after looking at the misalignment numbers on the odometer, it looks like as if the meter has been tampered. What do you all say?
I also checked the average through tank full method. To my shock it is giving just 10.05 kmpl with 50% usage of a/c, isnít it very low? I was assuming it would give me at least 13kpl with a/c. Please comment, if the average is OK or do I need to get it checked at service center.
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
I also checked the average through tank full method. To my shock it is giving just 10.05 kmpl with 50% usage of a/c, isnít it very low? I was assuming it would give me at least 13kpl with a/c. Please comment, if the average is OK or do I need to get it checked at service center.
Please share your usage details like
1. Driving condition-City/Highway
2. Driving Style
3. Most common speed and in which gear
etc

for better evaluation of FE

cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....The last free service was done in Feb, 2008 at around 4000km. It was brought again for service on Aug 2009 at 21000km. Since then the vehicle has not visited their service center again. Talked to the owner, he said he was getting the service done from outside. That was OK with me & I somehow got convinced that the mileage on odo was genuine. But later, after looking at the misalignment numbers on the odometer, it looks like as if the meter has been tampered. What do you all say?
Congratulations on your purchase. While I'd say that the price is on the higher side, there are some cars which are immaculately preserved, and hence justify the price. Since it has barely been a year since the last registered service, it is very unlikely that the metre has been doctored. Unless, the usage pattern changed drastically (I assume that the owner is the same), or the car was being used as a taxi, even if the odometer has been doctored, it probably hasn't run more than 40K.

At this point, it is useless to speculate about the car's age or the number of miles it has run. The Santro engine is an ultra reliable unit, so I would wish you luck with the car. It's your car now, take care of it, and it'll serve you well. If indeed you still want to judge the age of the car, take a look at the following:

a. Look at the manufacturing date of the tires (on the tire sidewalls). At 33K, with 5K more to go(according to you), I'd say that the car should still be on the first set of tires. Hopefully, the tire would be units manufactured in 2006. Look at the spare too, usually all five tires are from the same month of manufacture (give or take a couple). This is not an accurate method, for obvious reasons.

b. Take a look at the pedals, specially the clutch pedal. Look at the wear pattern, share a picture if possible. Again, on a car with 33K on the odo, the wear pattern should be reasonably minimal. This too is just an indicative method.

Most of all, if the check at KUN Hyundai didn't spring any surprises, stop worrying and enjoy the car. Wishing you all the very best.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 11:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get about 13.5 in a mix of city (60%) + highway (40%) in rains (which means the AC is on at least 40% of times) and regular traffic jams. And that's about the lowest I have been able to get. Mine is a Santro XP (2003 model).

It would be best if you can get the car serviced thoroughly, which would include changing all the fluids and also injector cleaning, throttle body cleaning etc. Also get the tyres checked and inflated to the correct tyre pressure. It would be better to compare the FE after these jobs have been done. You never know if the previous owner maintained it well or not, in the absence of any records/documents.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 15:30   #21
SRG

I have been driving the car in city, in moderate traffic only. Just for the sake of checking the average, I kept it witin the limits. In fact, till now has not taken her beyond 80kph. I think, I should get it serviced, though it's running fine otherwise.

Amartya, I also checked the tyres, they are 2006 make. The pedal looks OK for a 3 year I'd car. I guess I should stop worrying about it now!

Will update all about the average, after the service. Thanks all for your help.
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote