Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 4th July 2010, 16:20   #1
SRG

Question Used Ford ikon flair or Hyundai Santro

Hi Fellow Bhpians,

Though this is my first post, but I am not new to T-BHP, have been a follower since last three years. I never posted on forums firstly because of the limited knowledge I have compared to the members(or even the newbies), secondly because I never felt the need to(have always found answers to my questions by searching on the forum).

Currently I am looking for help to decide which car to buy. I have recently been transferred to Hyderabad, couldn't bring my old zen as the same was needed by my parents back home.

I have a budget of 2 lacs. My daily running would be around 25 kms (home-office-home). I have zeroed down on two cars; either used Santro or used Ikon flair. I will keep the car for 2 years and then part with it while going back. The problem is for a santro xing I have to stretch my budget a bit and Ikon seems to be heavy to maintain. I am confused....

Please suggest which car should I go with.
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the Santro would also hold its value better over the 2 years. So you'll lose less when reselling the santro relative to the ikon.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 23:03   #3
BHPian

between the two IMO santro.but may i ask why these two options? there are many beter cars in this price range.
procircuit_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 01:23   #4
BHPian

Since your running is so low (25kms x 25 days x 24 months = 15K kms), I don't think that regular maintenance will be such a huge issue. You 'll have to do just three services at most, and one at best. So, if you like the Ikon better, go for it. Just make sure that there are no immediate expenses coming up.

You haven't mentioned if your running is in highway or city. If it's mostly city, a small hatch makes more sense. On highway, the Ikon is a much better handler with better ride. Santro will be more efficient, but with your running being so low, it wouldn't really matter. Assume that the Santro gives 15 kpl and Ikon 13 kpl. Then, you will need about 6.4L more petrol per month, which is Rs. 350. It's up to you whether that extra Rs. 350 per month is worth paying for owning a larger sedan.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 02:32   #5
BHPian

my vote for Santro, ford ikon can be expensive in repairs (if it has a break down) due to expensive spares.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 03:08   #6
BHPian

Personally, dump the value after 2 years; you have no clue if you might love it enough to take it back to F'bad or get a good deal to dump it in H'bad anyway. Right now, you have 2 choices to make. lets see them both.

They will both drive you in and around the city.

Santro: Will hold value better, will give better mileage, service/spares cheaper, easier ro live with around a city (up to debate), Lack of space (No boom boom on the back seat unless you are a midget ),
Ikon: Brilliant drive depending on the engine, more space in comparison (remember the boom boom), expensive expensive to maintain and drive.
and these are just some random thoughts.

Overall, despite the Santro costing more, it would be cheaper to run, cheaper to live with in times of dinks and part replacement and prompt service, it is tops. The Ikon, on the other hand, might be cheaper to buy but will be more expensive to run, maintain and fix in the 2 years you spend there. And yes, the Santro will probably sell for more after 2 years.

And just incidentally, just to muddle you up a little bit more, how about a oldish used Lancer. Brilliant to drive, lil low on the power but decentish on the mileage for a car like that, spares are cheap on the outside (outside the @$$, that is) Of course, after 2 years, if will be valued very little but the 2 years, ah well, it will bring a smile to you face. And who knows, you might become a total petrol-head and mod her like a baby and never let go of her.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th July 2010 at 20:54. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. In future, you can use the EDIT button to add to a post within 20mins. Thanks.
thewhiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 05:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
my vote for Santro, ford ikon can be expensive in repairs (if it has a break down) due to expensive spares.
I think this has become more of a mindset thing. True ikon spares were expensive but ford has worked hard towards reducing the spare parts costs and is very reasonable now. But in any case i would still vote for the santro as it is really a good car without any hassles (i owned a santro before) and will give you far more peace of mind than the ikon
ishaanranderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 05:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

^^ First of all, iKon parts are among the lowest priced in it's segment. What you've pointed out was true 2-3 years back. In fact, in all segments, Ford's spare parts baskets are almost comparable to Maruti's.

Now, to answer the question, if the choice is to be restricted to the two mentioned, I'd recommend the Ford. Purely because it is a very practical car and is much better for the occasional highway jaunts. The iKon has one of the best rear-benches in the country - very comfortable - and it's a hoot to drive (even with the 1.3Rocam).

Now, the question, why just these two cars? With a little bit of bargaining, you can get a 2005 Getz GLS, and countless Accents (from 2000 - 2004). Now, the Getz is a much superior car compared to the Santro, and both the Getz and the Accent are quite reliable too.

I did a quick search on Carwale for you (at Faridabad), check this out: Used Cars - Search used cars available for sale in India - CarWale.com.

Now it is also important to try and NOT buy a car from a second hand car dealer unless you know him personally. All dealers are in the habit of doctoring the odometer.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 11:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes with the Santro. Having got a 5-year old Santro that was flooded by rainwater in the July 2005 floods in Mumbai, it's now in its 7th year and supremely reliable. If you are going to cover just 25 kms a day in city driving, the sheer practicality and reliability of the Santro should give you a peace of mind for as long as you own it. And if you do decide to go for an occasional outstation trip, the Santro should serve you well with five adults and their luggage of a couple of days. My hunch is since you have been shifted out of your hometown, you won't be carrying five people with full luggage anytime in these two years. On top of that, the Santro is shorter in length and higher in seating position, which will help you park it and also drive it much easier than an Ikon.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 14:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think you should go for the Santro for the following reasons -

Reliability
FE
Low cost of maintenance
higher resale

Go for it.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 14:49   #11
BHPian

Yes, you can go in for a santro. You can also have a look at Spark 2007/08 model. You can get it for 2.2.-2.25L. This would be an excellent buy. I am sure most spark owners would agree with me
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 20:56   #12
SRG

Thanks everyone for replying. Seems like the decision is unanimous: Santro. Actually at a point of time i also considered having accent and Getz, But then droped the idea because of the fear of high maintainence cost. Though santro looks like a best bet, I somehow feel that I can get a better car with in my budget. But which one??????

Just for my clarity, what is the average maintaince cost of ikon and accent?
Moreover I am geeting a 65000 kms driven 2005 Santro with a cng kit for 2.3 lacs. Is it a good deal? Pls comment.
Old 5th July 2010, 23:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

You can browse through the sticky thread on the things to remember when buying a used car. Moreover, if the Santro has a CNG kit, make sure it has been endorsed on the RC book. Any unauthorized mods, specially such as CNG/LPG kits should be avoided at all costs.

Since you are away from your native place, I am assuming you don't know the buyer or are trying to buy the car from a dealer. Make sure the service records are in order. Any car that's been maintained at authorized service stations should have its service history available with the workshop (if not with the owner). These records will also give you a clue to the real mileage of the car. If possible, try and check the insurance details too to see if any major claims were lodged. And remember: if there's a doubt about any of the car's characteristics, walk away from the deal. It's better to use buses/auto rickshaws and sacrifice a little convenience than to get an abused vehicle and pay a fortune to maintain it.

Please keep in mind: the opinions posted here about Santro or Ikon are related to the specific models and their general characteristics. The car that you have in mind may not always possess all these characteristics. So it still matters that the Santro you are getting should be in a good condition.

My advise is instead of worrying over which is the best car within the budget, go for one that allows you:
1. Reliable point to point transportation with basic creature comforts (read: AC if the climate is hot and you need one)
2. Ease of maneuvering within a congested city traffic
3. Ease of parking wherever you want to (at your residence, office, market etc)
4. Can be scratched a few times without bothering too much about repair bills or resale value.

As long as the car you are picking up satisfies the above criteria, forget about whether it's a Maruti 800 or a Skoda Fabia. In fact a M 800 might actually be a better (read: more practical) choice than even a Santro.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 07:34   #14
SRG

Thumbs up

Point taken honeybee. I will look out for car that's better n practical. You were right, since I don't know anybody here I am purchasing car from a dealer. I will try to be cautious and use the check list while finalizing any car. Thanks a lot every one for guiding me. I will update soon on final decision.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:27   #15
BHPian

I would advise against buying a used CNG/LPG car unless you know how the vehicle has been used. Most CNG users tend to run the car exclusively on CNG, switching to petrol only if the gas tank runs dry. Gas doesn't have the lubricating/cleansing properties of petrol, and it shows when you open up an engine that has been run purely on gas. Everything inside will be gummed up, and 'fried'. I use that word because that is what I feel best describes the look.

If you pick up a CNG car, make sure to alternate fuels, i.e. a tankful of gas followed by a tankful of petrol. Also try to get a car with factory fitted kit.

It's not like Santros are hard to find. All in all, it would be much better to find a petrol Santro and add a CNG kit from a reputed installer, for more peace of mind. You never really know what you're getting when picking up a used car, and better to pick up a car that's as stock as possible.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote