Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:15   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,195 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

@volkman- I checked the VW India site and it says 1.6L 4 cylinder petrol so I think you should be good!

All the best- if you don't need a big boot, the Polo will be more than adequate (coming from a Swift owner, so I know what I am talking about!) You can use the money you save to make some cool mods!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:38   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Thanks. Considering that you own a Vento petrol and the feedback you have given has brought now bit of consfusion in decision as earlier in the thread the view was citing the petrol version as "guise is just about average in terms of performance".

My requirement currently is city driving and mostly maneuvering through the traffic here. No requirement of a large boot space etc.and not much of inter state driving.
In that context, the decision was tilting to the 1.6 Polo.

My booking will be done in the last week of Feb.

Cheers!
Too bad 1.6 Tdi Polo is not available.
It would be the ideal choice.
Anyway it should be either a Polo 1.6 Petrol or Vento TDi.
Best of luck.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,058
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@volkman- I checked the VW India site and it says 1.6L 4 cylinder petrol so I think you should be good!

All the best- if you don't need a big boot, the Polo will be more than adequate (coming from a Swift owner, so I know what I am talking about!) You can use the money you save to make some cool mods!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Too bad 1.6 Tdi Polo is not available.
It would be the ideal choice.
Anyway it should be either a Polo 1.6 Petrol or Vento TDi.
Best of luck.

Thanks for re-opening this thread. The decision on 1.6 Polo holds good.


Cheers,
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 00:19   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
blueraven316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,109
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Dude, I get VWs coming to my store regularly and recently we planned a remap on a Vento TDI so I had the car for 2 days for me to feel the engine, to suggest what to do in terms of how much power to add in which portion of the power band. (though its a very narrow band it still revvs easily to 4500 rpm)

I have driven the Vento 1.6 petrol , its quick and all but just does not have the grunt of the diesel vento. In Fact not even close in terms of performance. But, the only thing I loved about it is you can slow down at a speed bump and come down to 10 kmph and the car will not even jerk a little moving out on the 3rd gear which you can't get on a TDI due to obvious Turbo lag.

1.6 polo is nice as long as you like a silent engine and very good performance.

If you can live with the Vento's engine noise (only outside the car) then it's a rocket.

And, if you really serious about performance, a 160 Wheel Horse Power should not be any problem, and as such the car has the right suspension to handle much more speed than it already has.
Only thing I feel is the braking is not at par with the Skodas with ABS likes of RS 1.8TP
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 09:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,058
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Dude, I get VWs coming to my store regularly and recently we planned a remap on a Vento TDI so I had the car for 2 days for me to feel the engine, to suggest what to do in terms of how much power to add in which portion of the power band. (though its a very narrow band it still revvs easily to 4500 rpm)

I have driven the Vento 1.6 petrol , its quick and all but just does not have the grunt of the diesel vento. In Fact not even close in terms of performance. But, the only thing I loved about it is you can slow down at a speed bump and come down to 10 kmph and the car will not even jerk a little moving out on the 3rd gear which you can't get on a TDI due to obvious Turbo lag.

1.6 polo is nice as long as you like a silent engine and very good performance.

If you can live with the Vento's engine noise (only outside the car) then it's a rocket.

And, if you really serious about performance, a 160 Wheel Horse Power should not be any problem, and as such the car has the right suspension to handle much more speed than it already has.
Only thing I feel is the braking is not at par with the Skodas with ABS likes of RS 1.8TP
Thanks. Will vist your sore with the 1.6 Polo.


Cheers,
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 17:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,058
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Oh now it has truly become a dilemma but now with a twist. German Vs Japanese is the new one.
Was in the process of booking the Polo 1.6 this week when the news of the JAZZ prices were unleashed!
I intend to have the choice of keeping the car for three years and could opt for another after that. (That's part of the company policy on lease)

Are there any pointers now to stick on to the Polo booking or opt for the Jazz X variant?

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 09:03   #22
BHPian
 
D'Artagnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

The polo is a bit uncomfortable to get in and out of the car. Boot space isn't great and the ride is a bit bumpy. It's good within the city but since you are looking for an all rounder the Vento gets my nod.

And I think the polo comes with only 3cyl, looks good but you are better off with a vento.
D'Artagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 10:04   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,195 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

What sort of dilemma is this? It's the same car!

The only things extra you get in the Vento over Polo 1.6 are the boot and the climatronic. And maybe 50 mm longer wheelbase translatng into better legroom in back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Fuel efficiency should be less in Polo as it has a powerful engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really. What we have to realise is that the Vento has a superior 4 cylinder diesel engine, which simply isn't offered in the Polo. Where the Polo's 3 cylinder unit is unrefined and suffers from heavy turbo-lag, the 4 cylinder in the Vento has negligible lag and offers stunning performance. It is indeed the best in class.
He is clearly saying he will go for the 1.6, which is a 4-pot engine. The 3 cylinders are in the 1.2 petrol and diesels only. So this is not a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
My pic:
Vento TDI Trendline: It will fit your budget.
Absolutely! This is what I was going to suggest. Apart from an appalling lack of safety features (no ABS/airbags even as option) this is something you can really play with- check Mikon's Black Mamba thread to know what I mean!

Quote:
I mean Vento in petrol guise is just about average in terms of performance. Even if you don't have usage to justify it, but can afford the car, you should go for the diesel.
Even as a petrol Vento owner, I agree with this sentiment. The main reason I opted for this car is because of the AT, not available in diesel. The TDI with its 250 Nm torque is a dream to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
@camchennai
@abhiautomobile
Thanks. If it is Vento would definitely choose the TDI and ruling out the petrol. Would the resale value of TDI be less compared to the petrol?
If you've ruled out the Vento petrol, you've ruled out the Polo 1.6 yes? ANd the 3-pot Polo engines are not really that exciting. So TDI it is then?

Edit: just saw the last post. Polo 1.6 vs Jazz is a bit of a no-contest. Jazz wins hands down!

Last edited by noopster : 28th September 2011 at 10:07.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 12:32   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,058
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Edit: just saw the last post. Polo 1.6 vs Jazz is a bit of a no-contest. Jazz wins hands down!
noopster, you are wrong in this case
I have booked the Polo 1.6 after TD'ving the Polo and the Jazz. Yes the Jazz has all the space, etc but it is not of much utility to me. May be a 'good to have' feature.
The let down of Jazz over the Polo1.6 was the driveabilityfactor in highways and more importantly ( to Bangalore) was the Jazz did have the underbody scraped in most of the humps here!

Would take delivery of the 1.6 in week 44.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 12:38   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,195 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Good to know. I am of course happy that my car is better - are you saying the Jazz is overhyped then?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 13:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,058
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Good to know. I am of course happy that my car is better - are you saying the Jazz is overhyped then?

The Jazz is an overall good car, no doubt! It has a lots of 'nice to have' features and not the 'must to have', in my case.
Added to that the GC of Jazz in the city where I drive is not favourable to it.
Polo1.6 is a car for the highways and is 'fun to drive' in the city.

This is the breaking factor for buying the Polo1.6 over the Jazz.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 20:06   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 71
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Jazz is an overall good car, no doubt! It has a lots of 'nice to have' features and not the 'must to have', in my case.
Added to that the GC of Jazz in the city where I drive is not favourable to it.
Polo1.6 is a car for the highways and is 'fun to drive' in the city.

This is the breaking factor for buying the Polo1.6 over the Jazz.

Cheers!
Congrats volkman! Well I am in the same dilemma of Jazz X vs Polo 1.6 so would love to have your inputs since you have just test driven both.
Can you elaborate more on the comparison of both on the city driving aspect, such as low end torque, bumper to bumper traffic, etc.?
morphique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 21:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,058
Thanked: 15,572 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
Congrats volkman! Well I am in the same dilemma of Jazz X vs Polo 1.6 so would love to have your inputs since you have just test driven both.
The low end torque is just average it needs to be worked to perform.
The below par performance of Jazz comes when you are on highway, it feels under powered at speeds >110km/h. However in city it is great to drive but needs continuous working on gears at lower speeds.
The greatest disadvantage of the Jazz is its GC. It scrapes through most humps in Bangalore and needs to be articulated carefully to avoid underbody being scraped. Jazz would score above Polo in space, better FE and equipment level.

The Polo 1.6 scores over Jazz in all the drive ability aspects in both City and highways. You can drive her even at 2nd gears in higher speeds in city driving . It is a true fun to drive car! Suspension and GC combination makes it to avoid the under body scarping as well.

However I suggest you have a TD of both as they are basically individual preferences and driving styles.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 15:39   #29
BHPian
 
subodh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 211
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Congrats Volkman. Didn't know that there would be so much difference between the driveablity of both these cars. The engine is pretty powerful in the Jazz but the handling in the Polo would be better. Jazz overall is a sensible buy considering its high fit and finish, space, looks, Honda Reliablity which is a big plus point.
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 20:24   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The low end torque is just average it needs to be worked to perform.
The below par performance of Jazz comes when you are on highway, it feels under powered at speeds >110km/h. However in city it is great to drive but needs continuous working on gears at lower speeds.
The greatest disadvantage of the Jazz is its GC. It scrapes through most humps in Bangalore and needs to be articulated carefully to avoid underbody being scraped. Jazz would score above Polo in space, better FE and equipment level.

The Polo 1.6 scores over Jazz in all the drive ability aspects in both City and highways. You can drive her even at 2nd gears in higher speeds in city driving . It is a true fun to drive car! Suspension and GC combination makes it to avoid the under body scarping as well.

However I suggest you have a TD of both as they are basically individual preferences and driving styles.

Cheers!
Have I missed your ownership thread by any chance my friend?
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??! GreenDay Technical Stuff 161 19th August 2014 00:21
"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline theragingbull Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 189 28th February 2014 13:16
My German rockstar Gaadi, Silver Volkswagen Vento - Ownership Experiance mailmaldi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 27 29th January 2013 16:24
My first German Beauty: VW POLO Trendline TDI nawalsingal Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 31 18th December 2012 15:07
German (Polo) or Japanese (ANHC) hrmanju1 Sedans 31 31st January 2010 13:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks