Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 16:43   #166
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 573 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Shri, firstly congratulations on the new baby. I do not know how i missed this thread!
Secondly, I agree with Noop. Why the 5th alloy? It would be sitting in the boot waiting for that occasional puncture. Why waste 4k there?
Bout the tyres, even I am not sure. Need to check Noops ride and finalise for my Swift. The tyres need to be changed in a short while now.

Noop- Why the Swift for the Saturdays meet? What happened to the Vento?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 17:14   #167
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Reading this thread after a long time, I kind of expected that you would have gone to SX4 by now

Anyways.. my Ikon had Michelin XM1 for 3.5 years. Zero issues. Once the front right had five punctures and the front left had three. But I didnt realized it for weeks.

Now Scorponok has Mich PrimacyLCs (not XM1+, sorry mdsaab). Very comfortable and low tyre noise. FE increase..um so so, nothing spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Noop- Why the Swift for the Saturdays meet? What happened to the Vento?
Because GTO told so.

I have seen the alloys on Noops's smaller ride, they really rock, man.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 18:32   #168
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Just inquired the price of Michelin XM1+ 185/70/R14 cost is Rs 4500 per tyre. Price quote is from Darshan tyres. I haven't heard about ONYX alloy wheels, the ones I have heard and seen are Lenso, HR,League, Plati, Neo, Apollo
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 00:36   #169
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Just inquired the price of Michelin XM1+ 185/70/R14 cost is Rs 4500 per tyre. Price quote is from Darshan tyres. I haven't heard about ONYX alloy wheels, the ones I have heard and seen are Lenso, HR,League, Plati, Neo, Apollo
An extremely useful post indeed.
I would go for alloys from these brands too. Mainly Lenso, Neo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Reading this thread after a long time, I kind of expected that you would have gone to SX4 by now

Anyways.. my Ikon had Michelin XM1 for 3.5 years. Zero issues. Once the front right had five punctures and the front left had three. But I didnt realized it for weeks.

Now Scorponok has Mich PrimacyLCs (not XM1+, sorry mdsaab). Very comfortable and low tyre noise. FE increase..um so so, nothing spectacular.
Na the swift is better than the SX4, but i get your point.
Another little mix up there by me. and i stand corrected, i remember @dot saying good things about the XM1's and they sort of stuck in the head. So i thought that Scorpo had them too. But it's Primacy LC's.
sorry for the mixup @dot.

Last edited by mdsaab : 9th June 2011 at 00:43.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 10:25   #170
BHPian
 
shridhar.s.i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 205
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Guys, In michelin XM1+, we have a size 195/70 R14
Thus 195 will give me decent roadgrip and 70 profile will ensure smooth ride and warranty will not be compromised (looks like win-win situation to me)
the difference is +1.45% only
Recommended rim size is 6,
minimum being 5 and max being 6.5
And i have planned i will postpone alloys fo last quarter of this year, tyres take priority

So my question is whether the above ones will fit in existing stock R14 steel rims (i know its 5J but just to confirm)
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 10:49   #171
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Guys, In michelin XM1+, we have a size 195/70 R14
Thus 195 will give me decent roadgrip and 70 profile will ensure smooth ride and warranty will not be compromised (looks like win-win situation to me)
the difference is +1.45% only
Recommended rim size is 6,
minimum being 5 and max being 6.5
And i have planned i will postpone alloys fo last quarter of this year, tyres take priority

So my question is whether the above ones will fit in existing stock R14 steel rims (i know its 5J but just to confirm)
I would say YES. they would fit on the existing rims. and the XM1's are a very wise choice indeed. You have struck the perfect combo this time round.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 16:40   #172
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Guys, In michelin XM1+, we have a size 195/70 R14
Thus 195 will give me decent roadgrip and 70 profile will ensure smooth ride and warranty will not be compromised (looks like win-win situation to me)
the difference is +1.45% only
Recommended rim size is 6,
minimum being 5 and max being 6.5
And i have planned i will postpone alloys fo last quarter of this year, tyres take priority

So my question is whether the above ones will fit in existing stock R14 steel rims (i know its 5J but just to confirm)
195/65/R14 is the correct up-size. Mod Jaggu was running them on his Vdi.
Stock rim is 5J. You would need minimum 5.5J. So you have to look at changing the rims as well.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 13:08   #173
BHPian
 
shridhar.s.i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 205
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Stock rim is 5J. You would need minimum 5.5J. So you have to look at changing the rims as well.
I tend to differ here, as per the Website tyre specification, The above tyres can be run on 5J, i am not sure if rim change is required indeed...
Screenshot attached below
Attached Thumbnails
Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here-tyremichelin-xm1.jpg  

shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 13:39   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
I tend to differ here, as per the Website tyre specification, The above tyres can be run on 5J, i am not sure if rim change is required indeed...
Screenshot attached below
Buddy refer the swift tyre upgrade thread. I got the info from there.

Refer the post below from Jaggu

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1314412
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 08:48   #175
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Sridhar,

What did you finalize ? Tomorrow is 17th JUNE your car's delivery date.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 13:09   #176
BHPian
 
shridhar.s.i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 205
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Getting the basics right

Well, tyres will be michelin xm1+, but whether 185/195 i will go to shop and take the shop owner's comments as well, if they say 195 is an overkill for steel rims, i will stick to 185

I have ordered followng basic accesories
1. Wheel Caps - Maruti Swift - Rs 1600
2. Bumper Moulding - 500
3. Body Side Door Moulding - Rs 1200
4. Matting (with spikes) for front / rear/ boot - Rs 900 - He said these wont jam up under the pedals since spikes will reduve mat movement (i wil post detail pics later)
5. Door Guards - Rs 300 (Some of you might say this is waste, i agree but i just loved the design so chose it)
6. Perfume (Bottle) Cologne Fragrance - FREE
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 15:36   #177
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,666
Thanked: 9,197 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

All the best man! You have all of us holding our breath here. And do wish your Dad a very happy birthday
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 15:45   #178
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Getting the basics right

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post

Door Guards - Rs 300 (Some of you might say this is waste, i agree but i just loved the design so chose it)
Actually they will be very useful. Specially in our office parking (the worst scratch I have ever got was in that parking lot of ours)

Infact get a more few sets and paste it along the front and rear bumper bends. These days pesky two wheelers have no respect and will scratch the bumpers at those points. BTW, is this what the bumper molding (point no 2, Rs500) is for?


Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
6. Perfume (Bottle) Cologne Fragrance - FREE
So something is free.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 16:41   #179
BHPian
 
shridhar.s.i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 205
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

@Dot-Yes point 2 is for the same, but they are standard bumper mouldings Maruti provides and they fit the curves better than aftermarket door guards

Just one more update
I inquired about window visor + rear spoiler
They quoted Rs 1500 and 3500 respectively
Do you thing i should stick to MGA, coz outside (Poona Motors) they charge RS 1000 for visors + Rs 2500 for Spoiler, but i just want to be sure they are of good quality..i will inquire in car cupid as well before i go ahead with the next round of purchases

Last edited by shridhar.s.i : 16th June 2011 at 16:41. Reason: spelling correction
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 17:16   #180
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Do you thing i should stick to MGA, coz outside (Poona Motors) they charge RS 1000 for visors + Rs 2500 for Spoiler, but i just want to be sure they are of good quality..i will inquire in car cupid as well before i go ahead with the next round of purchases
I am sure you will figure out/ someone will confirm the prices, but please also check if the procedure for the spoiler is also the same (no drilling etc) and that you are comfortable with it.

Congrats again, wish your father a very happy bday and dont forget to take your camera along during delivery time (most of us forget it in a hurry!)
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Little Rann of Kutch-Gujarat is everything but little: Photologue robimahanta Travelogues 35 22nd April 2014 12:52
Finalized Swift: How useful are Rear Sensors? lambuhere1 Hatchbacks 3 12th July 2007 22:46
Hi Guys need a little help here with an Astra. Sankar Sedans 11 23rd July 2006 19:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks