The MINI brand has launched its first Indian showroom at Mumbai. Part of the Infinity Cars group, it is located at Santacruz (Map). This showroom will be followed by two others in New Delhi, and around 5-6 showrooms all over the country by the end of 2012.
The brand was launched in India at the Auto Expo 2012 and was covered extensively here: MINI Launch (MINI Cars Launched @ Auto Expo 2012).
Here are the ex-showroom prices (identical all over India):
Mini Cooper: Rs. 25,50,000
Mini Cooper S: Rs. 28,60,000
Mini Cooper Convertible: Rs. 30,70,000
Mini Cooper S Countryman: Rs. 32,80,000
Mini Cooper S Countryman High: Rs. 35,90,000
The prices have increased from those announced at the Auto Expo, due to the duty hike for Completely Built Unit (CBU) imports. The increments range from Rs. 60,000 to Rs. 80,000 across the model range.
- Around 100 cars have already been booked.
- Deliveries will start in May.
- 20-30 Cars will be delivered each month.
- Only available with petrol engined automatics. No manual transmissions for India (unfortunately!).
- All MINIs come with speed-sensitive electric power steering.
- The MINI brand was internationally re-launched about a decade ago.
- India is the 100th country where MINI cars will be sold.
- This is the 3rd brand of the BMW group in India (other two being Rolls-Royce and BMW).
About the Showroom:
- Located at Savoy Chambers, Linking Road, Santacruz, Mumbai (Click here for Map).
- Space to display 5 cars within a total area of 12,000 sq. ft.
- An international cuisine restaurant will be opened within the showroom premises shortly. (First Fiat and now MINI! Showrooms are turning out to be lifestyle centres now-a-days).
- The showroom will have live band performances, etc. in the evenings.
- Service centres are located at Chembur and Worli.
About the cars:
- 1.6L petrol produces 122 BHP @ 6000 RPM and 160 Nm of torque @ 4250 RPM
- 6-speed automatic
MINI Cooper S:
- The "S" is the performance variant of the Cooper
- 1.6L petrol produces 184 BHP @ 6000 RPM and 240 Nm of torque @ 1600 - 5000 RPM
- It also has an overboost function which changes the turbo pressure and fueling to put out 260 Nm when needed (eg. during overtaking)
- 6-speed auto transmission is a bit of a bummer for the driving enthusiasts hoping to take this go-kart for a spin
- Differences over the regular MINI Cooper include : Turbocharged engine, different interior trim, air-intake bonnet scoop, larger wheels, rear spoiler and tweaks to the cooling system & chassis
- This is the MINI you should pick to drive if you ever get a chance to!
MINI Cooper Convertible:
- Same engine specs as the MINI Cooper
- Retractable soft-top
- Active (i.e. pop-up) roll-bars are an addition for roll-over safety
MINI (Cooper S) Countryman:
- Shares the same engine as the Cooper S
- 1.6L petrol producing 184 BHP @ 6000 RPM and 240 Nm @ 1600 - 5000 RPM
- 6-speed automatic transmission
- This is the only 4-door MINI. It's also the biggest MINI, enabling it to have "real" rear seats.
- Rear seats can flip forward to enable more storage space
MINI (Cooper S) Countryman High:
- A variant of Countryman with the following features added: Fog Lights, Sunroof, Bluetooth and USB enabled sound system, Harman Kardon Speakers, Centre armrest, Full leather interiors and different alloy wheels
Click Here for for detailed pictures of each of these cars from our extensive AutoExpo 2012 coverage.