ArticlesPre-delivery Inspection & Check List
You are obviously excited about the delivery of your new car, but WAIT! Many have paid a huge price for the resultant haste, and its best to take some necessary precautions before driving away in your new machine.
Team-BHP enlists all that you should check for as a part of the pre-delivery inspection:
We recommend visiting the dealerships stockyard and checking your car prior to registration. Once it is registered in your name, there is little you can do. Check the car manufacturing month/year, especially when buying in the first quarter of any year. Fiat India was notorious for selling cars that have been manufactured up to 18 months earlier. Ascertain that the year of manufacture is current. Best way is to ask the dealer for the "Form 22" certificate (issued by the manufacturer). You will find the engine / chassis numbers on this certificate, while the month / year of manufacture are on the "road-worthiness" certificate (part of Form 22).
If the odometer is disconnected, in all probability, the allocated car has been used as a test-drive vehicle. Also check for any repair jobs / body damage; damage to some cars is inevitable in transit and most repair work is glaringly obvious.
IMPORTANT : Check the tax calculations on the dealership invoice. Overcharging for RTO / octroi / lifetime taxes is a popular scam at many Indian dealerships. Pay only the actual charges due to the authorities and not a rupee more.†
1. Confirm: the date of delivery with your dealership. It is best to go there only after the car has been prepared and is ready. If you have a preference for a particular day / time (for auspicious reasons), inform the sales person.
2. Daylight: We recommend accepting delivery in broad daylight, since the dark can conceal a lot. You may also not get good service in the evening since dealership personnel are in a hurry to wrap the day up.
3. Documentation: Ascertain that you carry any required documentation with you. This may include forms, receipts etc.
4. Payments: If any payment formalities are to be completed, carry along the relevant PDCís / Cash / Credit Cards.
5. Third Person: Itís always a good idea to take a relative / friend along for suggestions, observations and comments.
6. Memories: Take a camera along.
7. Music: Carry a CD / cassette if your car is equipped with a stereo.
8. Gift: Take a token gift along for the sales guy.