Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 17:40   #106
Senior - BHPian

guys it can't be possible that so many collectors have never seen this car on the road for 10yrs, I am pretty sure this car is not in mumbai anymore. Harit I may divulge the whereabouts of the other ponton (its a red 300 Adenauer convertible, I have seen it, and made an offer ) only if you get me drunk on some beer maybe, maybe.
Old 17th October 2008, 20:09   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Some comments from Harit.

Quote:
Amol has got it slightly wrong and no amount of Beer will bring out the other Ponton. That is because it is a 220S convertible we are looking for, not a 300.
Again he is slightly wrong that the car is not a Mumbai car. The gentleman has his palace in Mumbai and also owns other exotic machiney which is rarely seen on the roads. Perhaps he has a house outside Mumbai and keeps them there. By the way, as you may have read, I was spotting cars since the mid 1970's. And during all that time, I have seen this car only once before, for service at United Motors. So she is really rarely on the road.
Then again, there are several 300 Ponton type of convertible Mercs in India. In Mumbai there is a famous one, now red, earlier blue. Pranlal has at least 2 (maybe 3?), then there is one in Indore, then there was a blue/green one in Mumbai, then Mallyas car which was bought from Rashtrapati Bhavan, and I am very sure that there must be some in Delhi. Now you have seen a red one, we shall drink to that hopefully soon, maybe...........maybe...........I will then tell you where that is. And it will never be for sale!!!
Old 19th October 2008, 14:13   #108
BHPian

The Coupe (in Pakistan) shown in the pictures has very sadly gone into a worse state and pretty soon will be a lost cause.
The car was taken to Rawalpindi from Lahore where a restoration was supposed to commence, but the all too familiar story has played itself all over again. There are some recent pictures of the car on a pakistan car site, will try to look for them and post if I can track them down.
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:19   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
The Coupe (in Pakistan) shown in the pictures has very sadly gone into a worse state and pretty soon will be a lost cause.
The car was taken to Rawalpindi from Lahore where a restoration was supposed to commence, but the all too familiar story has played itself all over again. There are some recent pictures of the car on a pakistan car site, will try to look for them and post if I can track them down.
That's terrible. Do share recent pictures with us.

Some comments from Harit.

Quote:
Referring to the Merc 220S convertible, so sorry to hear that the car in Karachi is on its way to heaven. But these are not unusual events, many good cars have been killed over here also.
Scooby mentioned that if he could, he would buy one. Attached you will see an advert for one such car. It can legally come to India, it is right hand drive. I have no idea about the cost and I also do not want to know, but if someone is really keen the car can come. As you know, an E-type Jag came recently.
It would be great if someone from India were to buy this. All contact details are shown.

Harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-00.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2008, 11:53   #110
BHPian

Finally traced the Coupe pictures.
The first two are as she was about 12-15 years ago. At least she was restorable, but the later two pictures are about six months old.
It will be a brave soul who will be able to spot a ponton Coupe in the stack of rubbish, but believe me it is there.

What a sad end to a lovely automobile.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-bhp.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-bhp1.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-bhp2.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-bhp3.jpg  

Old 30th October 2008, 01:07   #111
BHPian

Here are 2 photos of 2 more Mercedes Benz cars. The second photo of the 320 4 door cabriolet is in a Delhi collection to this day, I am not sure where or what the first one is. Photos courtesy of Andrew Blake taken during the early 80s.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-mercedesbenz.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-mercedesbenz-320-4d-cabriolet.jpg
Old 30th October 2008, 12:04   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Here are 2 photos of 2 more Mercedes Benz cars. The second photo of the 320 4 door cabriolet is in a Delhi collection to this day, I am not sure where or what the first one is. Photos courtesy of Andrew Blake taken during the early 80s.
Same car in second photo? Pic courtesy xoticars

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc01.jpg

I remember reading about Wadhwan cars in an old Auto India issue. They still retained some cars, including this Mercedes and a Crossley I think. I also remember some mention about that German Club badge on the Merc.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 30th October 2008 at 12:08.
Old 1st November 2008, 01:46   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Same car in second photo? Pic courtesy xoticars

Attachment 65052

I remember reading about Wadhwan cars in an old Auto India issue. They still retained some cars, including this Mercedes and a Crossley I think. I also remember some mention about that German Club badge on the Merc.
The second photo is the same 320 indeed, running local pistons and still going strong but the body wood needs major attention unless its been rebuilt by now.
Am I right in presuming that Wadhwan is in Gujurat?

Here is a study in the results of omission, commission and climatic destruction of the Nepalese 540K, which went on for years, these cars really need to be kept in buildings, no matter what. Thankfully, due to the efforts of Mr Seth and Mr Manvendra Singh, the car was saved from total destruction.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-2.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-5.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-1.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-9.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-10.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-4.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-6.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-8.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-7.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-3.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-11.jpg
Photos mine and Andrew Blake's
Old 4th November 2008, 01:27   #114
BHPian

Hey

Quick question.

What's a good price for a fairly good condition 126 280se 1983?

no major work at all, just cosmetic stuff inside.

Waiting.

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2008, 21:20   #115
BHPian

Do not remember the origin of this picture. Was passed on to me 6/8 years back, the car was for sale then.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-19.jpg  

Old 9th November 2008, 22:25   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Do not remember the origin of this picture. Was passed on to me 6/8 years back, the car was for sale then.
Was this car later repainted white? Because Ive heard of a similar on- later painted white- owned by a friend's grandpa in madras. Direct import so I presume it was LHD too. He sparingly used it for fear of our roads/traffic! 'not sure if they still have the car although the gent had passed away.
Old 9th November 2008, 22:32   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Was this car later repainted white? Because Ive heard of a similar on- later painted white- owned by a friend's grandpa in madras. Direct import so I presume it was LHD too. He sparingly used it for fear of our roads/traffic! 'not sure if they still have the car although the gent had passed away.
Do not have a clue ? Like I said, this picture was given to me years ago.
Old 10th November 2008, 23:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Ponton in Alibaug !

Saw this Ponton at a workshop in Alibaug today. She's obviously come for a body / paint job, as she's got weld marks all over. Grille is either missing or removed for work.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-phone-picture-110.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-phone-picture-109.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-phone-picture-108.jpg  

Old 11th November 2008, 20:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Saw this Ponton at a workshop in Alibaug today. She's obviously come for a body / paint job, as she's got weld marks all over. Grille is either missing or removed for work.
Its a 180b.Except for the non original dashboard car seems to be pretty complete. I have seen this car in bombay many times.

Last edited by the mole : 11th November 2008 at 20:41.
Old 11th November 2008, 21:08   #120
BANNED

This Ponton was owned by the Dempo Group of Companies in Goa. Not sure when it was sold and to whom. Was a shade of grey before, not sure though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks