Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: 1st service for the Octavia - Now or later???
Service strictly as per the service manual 19 63.33%
Service earlier than recommended 9 30.00%
No difference either way! 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2004, 14:00   #16

i prefer earlier than recomended
Old 8th July 2004, 14:17   #17
Team-BHP Support

well, just back from the Skoda ASC at Sewri.

Spoke to the service manager regards to the early service. His advice was to wait for atleast another 1000km - 1500Km before the first service.

I also got the break up of the charges, there are 2 options:
Option I:
Oil: Mobile Synthetic @ Rs.575L x 5 L= 2,875/-
Oil Filter: About Rs.420
Fuel Filter: Rs.2,490/-

Option II uses regular mineral oil at Rs.125/Litre.
Filters remain the same.

However, the manual states that the fuel filter is simply to be checked and cleaned, NOT replaced. This is the ASC trying to make a quick buck. When I pointed this out to the manager, he admitted that replacing the fuel filter at the first service was only on a need-be basis, not compulsory.

Hence, your service could work out to Rs.3,295/- for the synthetic or even as cheap as Rs.1,045/- if you go for the regular oil.

Not too bad if you ask me.

Anyways, I've decided not to do the first service right now and wait for atleast another 1,000km or 1 month, whichever comes sooner. However, i have left the car at the ASC to sort out a sticky reverse detent. Also, I'm keen to see what kind of service they provide.

Stay tuned...

Rtech

Old 8th July 2004, 14:44   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Option I:
Oil: Mobil Synthetic @ Rs.575L x 5 L= 2,875/-
Go for Option 1. Its the best lubricant available off the shelf worldwide, and will deliver advantages like no other.

Interesting to hear about the fuel filter - Remember a similar experience with the Auto Hangar? I think these service stations are going to dread Team-BHPians walking through their door and showing 'em how to do it. Heres to being informed!!

GTO
Old 8th July 2004, 19:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

GTO,

For sure I'm going for the synthetic lube. Pays off big time in the long run!

Rt
Old 9th July 2004, 01:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ July 08 2004,12:47)]I also got the break up of the charges, there are 2 options:
Option I:
Oil: Mobile Synthetic @ Rs.575L x 5 L= 2,875/-
Oil Filter: About Rs.420
Fuel Filter: Rs.2,490/-

Option II uses regular mineral oil at Rs.125/Litre.
Filters remain the same.
U Can get a 4litre can from outside at 1800rs.y dont u take mobil1 Super SYN 4liter can and take it for your service.
i have been using mobil1 in my zen and it really works.
if u go for your service earlier than the specified time,then u have to be careful on ur next service as potherwise u may exceed the interval.
so i think it wud be better if u drive for some more time .

satya
Old 9th July 2004, 12:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]U Can get a 4litre can from outside at 1800rs.y dont u take mobil1 Super SYN 4liter can and take it for your service.
yea, I was thinking the same thing speedsatya. I gotto check the prices in the market. Remember, this is a diesel so maybe the oil is more expensive than the regular Mobile 1. I believe GTO said its around 500 per liter.

Rtech
Old 6th September 2004, 19:09   #22
Team-BHP Support

Well, to update this post, I finally completed the first service on the Octy this Saturday. The car had 5,467 Km's on the clock.

Friday: Called up the Autobahn workshop in Sewri and asked for the same service advisor I had before. Its always better to stick with one guy. He remembered me from the last time I was there and immediately scheduled my car on Saturday. This after i had spoken with the rececptionist who told me that it would be atleast 5 days before they can take my car due to the backlog.

Well, I was assured that the car would be back in the evening on the same day, so I agreed to the Saturday service. As I had work, i requested them to pick up the car from home, which he agreed to at once.

Saturday: 10am their driver comes to pick up the car.
1300hrs. I call up to make sure I'll have the car back by this evening as I needed it on Sunday.
1800hrs. the car is delivered back to my house.
Aside from the oil and the oil filter, they had waxed the car, buffed out a small scratch on the rear door and Amourall 'ed the dash and tyres.

As I mentioned here earlier, the ASC tries to make some extra money off its customers by charging them almost Rs.3,000 for a new fuel filter even though the service book says to simply check and clean it, not replace. Well, I guess knowing the service advisor paid off, as he told me that he would not change it, just clean it this time.

Total bill for the first service came to Rs.3,457. The bulk of that was due to the Mobile 1 synthetic oil: (5Litres @ Rs.575.00 = Rs.2,875.00).

I was really impressed with the work done and more so by the efficiency and professionalism shown. The worst thing to see after a service is grubby paws on the bonnet and windscreen, and I was really happy with the way they returned the car with the scratch removed, the interior vacuumed and the body waxed.

damn...I believe this is the first time I actually have no complaints on getting my car back from a service.

Rt
Old 6th September 2004, 19:45   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ Sep. 06 2004,17:39)]The car had 5,467 Km's on the clock.

The bulk of that was due to the Mobile 1 synthetic oil:
Hey Rtech,

Howcum you decided to switch over to mobil 1 (isnt it called delvac for deisels?) at ~6k-km rather than at your 10k-km service ? (assuming ur services are at 5,10,20...)

Good to hear of the skoda service being of such high standards!

cya
R

Old 6th September 2004, 21:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

hey rtech, why didnt u buy the can outside???

another thing guys how do u convice parents to shift to mobil 1

i wanted to shift to mobil 1 from looong time, but my dad says no, he sticks to castrol and only castrol, even for the sonata

i even showed him a safari wihich ran 1.8 lac km!!! on mobil 1 and runs like new, even that didnt change is mind! he says the cost is too high and since we dont keep the cars for long time whats the use? "will the resale value increase if we keep using mobil 1 ? "he says

no that my elim had done 10 k kms , i am shifting to mobil 1, wont have any probs right guys? rtech? v12? coz me shelling out everything from my pocket,
Old 6th September 2004, 23:14   #25
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Great news about Skoda service man! I never expected them to wax the car as vaccuming the interiors is a routine job but waxing...wow !
Old 7th September 2004, 11:48   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Hey Rtech,

Howcum you decided to switch over to mobil 1 (isnt it called delvac for deisels?) at ~6k-km rather than at your 10k-km service ? (assuming ur services are at 5,10,20...)

Mobil 1 can be used in petrol AND diesel engines. All the CDI mercs are run on Mobil 1.

Delvac is an engine oil developed exclusively for diesels. So it will be a better choice for diesels than Mobil. Problem is supply. Its comes in extremely extremely limited quantities, and the Volvo operators use that up for their trucks. They also run their trucks on Mobil 1 when delvac supplies are short (translated all the time)

Aadix, the best thing you can do for your car is run it on Mobil 1.

GTO
Old 7th September 2004, 12:12   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hey rtech, why didnt u buy the can outside???

another thing guys how do u convice parents to shift to mobil 1
Well, I figured that I'd keep the dealer happy, even if it did cost me 300 bucks more. The thing is, if you go about buying this stuff from outside, the dealers kinda take a dislike to you as this is where they make their money on a "free service" and may take it out on the car, so why bother. Ofcourse, if it was a much larger difference, I would have bought it from outside.

As far as the mobile 1 is concerned, well, when it comes to the vehicles in my house, I am the boss...the parents leave the maintenance to me, no questions asked. Plus I paid for it myself, so they really have no reason to ask!!

Aadix, what your dad says has some truth in it. If you regularly sell off cars, say every 3 years or so, then you really don't enjoy the long term benefits of a really good oil. We personally keep vehicles for a long time - 8 years minimum - hence only put the best in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]no that my elim had done 10 k kms , i am shifting to mobil 1, wont have any probs right guys? rtech? v12? coz me shelling out everything from my pocket,
Aadix...NO! Do not put Mobile 1 in your bike! The oil made for a bike is different than that made for a car. A bike's clutch and gearbox are enclosed in the engine and use the same oil. Using an engine oil made for cars will cause your clutch to slip.

The best oil I've found for my bike is Castrol Power 1 semi-synthetic oil. Its really good and not very expensive. About Rs.180 for 2 litres or so.

Rt
Old 7th September 2004, 12:14   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Aadix, the best thing you can do for your car is run it on Mobil 1.
Yup, I second Rtech. Its only for your car and not the bike.

I use my cars till they fall apart. Mobil 1 is the only way to go for me.

GTO
Old 8th September 2004, 01:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ Sep. 07 2004,10:42)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]no that my elim had done 10 k kms , i am shifting to mobil 1, wont have any probs right guys? rtech? v12? coz me shelling out everything from my pocket,
Aadix...NO! Do not put Mobile 1 in your bike! The oil made for a bike is different than that made for a car. A bike's clutch and gearbox are enclosed in the engine and use the same oil. Using an engine oil made for cars will cause your clutch to slip.

The best oil I've found for my bike is Castrol Power 1 semi-synthetic oil. Its really good and not very expensive. About Rs.180 for 2 litres or so.

Rt
hi rtech

mobil 1 has been launched for bikes too!! there was a full page ad in last month's overdrive with all the distributors phone nos,i called mine ,went to his shop ,
it's a small one litre bottle of 20w50, dont remeber the price though, was in a hurry and the guy was taking a lot of time to tell the price

btw did u see that mobil 1 5w50 topic in xbhp? why was everybody giving it a postive rating?

isnt power one 10w30 rating??? i heard a lot of bad reviews abt it, check xbhp/bajajpulsar *archives

Old 8th September 2004, 02:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ Sep. 08 2004,00:15)]btw did u see that mobil 1 5w50 topic in xbhp? why was everybody giving it a postive rating?
isnt power one 10w30 rating??? i heard a lot of bad reviews abt it, check xbhp/bajajpulsar *archives
Hi Aadix,

To me it seems like you are relating the grade of the oil (20W50 etc) to the quality of the oil....which is incorrect.

check out the engine oil bible, it should explain what the "20W50" etc mean..

cya
R

Most Viewed