Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2016, 19:50   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016

Mod Note: Our Duster Facelift & AMT Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Big shoutout to Vid6639 & Anshuman for shooting these pictures & their coverage of the Auto Expo. Thanks for sharing!

Renault showcased the Duster facelift which is going to launch later in 2016. The Duster looked old at the time of launch and it looks even older today. A facelift might only help so much; competition has intensified and there are more monocoque SUVs on the way:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-0.jpeg

In the new Cayenne Orange colour:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-cayenne.jpg

While the shape of the headlamps is the same, the elements inside have changed. No more circles inside. The radiator grille changes from 3 thinner slats to 2 thick slats, while the Renault logo grows in size:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-1.jpeg

Subtle changes on the side (rims, roof rail, ORVM):
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-4.jpeg

Different tail-lamps, a new bumper (2 parking sensors instead of 3) and a larger skid plate:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-6.jpeg

No sheet metal changes (easy for existing owners to update their cars). Like the headlamps, the tail-lamp's outer shape is the same. What's changed are the elements inside. Waterfall LED strip:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-7.jpeg

After-market'ish 16" rim design. I didn't like the older Duster's wheels and I don't like these either:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-9.jpeg

In green. Renault says that the facelifted Duster has an upgraded 'T4 Electrical & Electronics” architecture and a new “CMO10” engine compartment:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-11.jpg

Bigger skidplate in full silver with two black inserts. Number plate is now positioned on the skid plate:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-12.jpg

Larger skidplate at the rear too:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-13.jpg

ORVMs with integrated blinkers & a carbon-fibre finish that looks so tacky & out of place!
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-14.jpg

New jumbo-size roof rails with Duster branding:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-14a.jpeg

How they look from the rear:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-14b.jpg

One simple badge, versus the earlier 3 (reference image):
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-16.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2016 at 15:29.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 21:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016

Yuck! Green body with peach coloured handles. Can't get more gawdy than that:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-0.jpg

We hope better sense prevails and a more neutral silver is standardised across the range:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-0b.jpg

Duster owners rejoice! ORVM controls are finally where they belong (not below the handbrake). They are electrically foldable. Driver's window now gets auto up/down with anti-pinch:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-0c.jpeg

It's the same dashboard with some changes (mainly to the center fascia). Ugly steering now gets silver on all 3 spokes. Whoever chooses these colours at Renault sure needs a change of job:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-1.jpeg

Duster stamped on the LHS. Looks neat:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-1a.jpg

Same outdated instrument console. Belongs to the 80's:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-2.jpeg

The new center fascia with piano black finishing. Among other changes, the hazard light & central locking switches are more logically placed. I'm not even going to comment on the dark pink rings around the air vents :
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-3.jpg

More neutral chrome rings here. With the touchscreen in action. HU gets a reversing camera with guidelines:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-4.jpeg

Air-con controls now look like they're with the times! Climate control finally makes an entry in the Duster. Outdated recirculation slider knob is gone!
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-5.jpeg

Not much has changed here. Only the 2WD is at the 12 o'clock position ('auto' moved down on the right):
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-6.jpg

Will soon be available with an Automatic! This is an AMT, not a torque-converter. It was easier for Renault to simply add the AMT to the existing 6-speed gearbox than develop an all-new transmission. It won't be perfect, although AMTs are less jerky with high-torque engines (as the 109 BHP diesel is). Hopefully, Renault keeps the premium realistic. That would greatly expand its appeal. Has a manual mode as well:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-7.jpeg

Center console now in silver:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-8.jpeg

Driver finally gets an armrest for himself! Also check out the seat upholstery:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-9.jpg

A look at the rear bench. Rear doorpads have lost the big door handle:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-10.jpeg

Same boot, but there's a big change...
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-11.jpg

The AWD has its spare wheel located inside the cabin! This isn't new - just pointing it out as the 2WD has it under the vehicle:
Renault Duster Facelift @ Auto Expo 2016-12.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2016 at 10:57.
GTO is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 22:08   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Auto Expo Section!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 22:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The spare wheel is now located inside the vehicle! This is surely more convenient than the earlier arrangement where it was mounted below the vehicle:
Somehow, I find this arrangement little tedious in case your boot is load to brim or even if you have a lot of luggage in all shapes and sizes and you encounter a flat tire.

I recall the days in my WagonR with Tubed tires when we had to struggle talking out all that luggage and then remove the spare wheel.

In the Ertiga the spare wheel is externally held through a frame below (assume the same set-up in the current Duster) and I found this easier to remove or replace. The only little challenge was the bending the body to do all this but still a better opposed to taking out all that loaded luggage.

The brighter side with the new set-up is that the Tire and the Spare Wheel will never be exposed to muck and will need zero attention barring periodic pressure checks.
paragsachania is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 22:31   #5
BHPian

That interior designer definitely took the "how to make interiors ugly 101" an entire bloody semester. Pink rings!! Renault is expecting a pillow fight in there, don't they?

Love the new air con system and hopefully their AMT is up to par. Quick n00b question - why would AMTs be less jerky in high torque engines?

The green looks like the perfect colour for this car. The new Orange colour seems to be just to keep up with the atrocious fad going on these days.
Mad Max is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 22:32   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Somehow, I find this arrangement little tedious in case your boot is load to brim or even if you have a lot of luggage in all shapes and sizes and you encounter a flat tire.
Easier to lift smaller luggage bags than carry & position the punctured tyre back under the body. Tell a frail person / lady to do it and see the reaction . After all, these are 215 mm tyres on 16" rims - they are heavy!
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 22:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking what if Duster belonged to Tata Motors, we would definitely had another classic with Safari but what Renault is doing is literally demeaning the Duster, I seriously hoped that after the changed Market Dynamics after the launch of Creta, Renault will do something maverick and yes they have done so in the form of Pink Rings and Peach coloured handles.

This is a masterclass on 'How to ruin a Brand'.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 22:45   #8
BHPian

Yak..yak...yak. This Duster is uglier than ever. Renault should've just dropped this facelift altogether. Nothing much has changed on the exterior, except the noticeable ugly front chrome strip and the ginormous Renault logo. Interior...starting from the weird colors combinations and those hideous pink accents...everything is awful. A big flop written all over it. The only thing that can save is the AMT whenever it makes it to the market. But again by then there might be a lot more options for the customers to choose from.
thatsdileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 22:58   #9
BHPian

Thanks GTO!

So the interiors have not improved much as anticipated. But the re-positioning of ORVM controls, inclusion of anti-pinch up/down for driver's window, ACC, driver arm rest are positive changes IMHO.

If we are looking out for a wheel in the compact SUV segment which needs to be used both on city roads and on partly off road conditions, I think Renault Duster would still stand out as a winner for most of the potential buyers.

Regards,
Cruiser_D
Old 4th February 2016, 23:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

The colour scheme and some of the interior choices were not too my liking. It looked like change for the sake of it.

A few of points to add:

1. The sides of the front seats have a carbon fibre texture which was weird.

2. The area below the handbrake is now gloss silver. Looks really odd.

3. When Renault launched the Duster AWD the interiors got some soft touch plastics. The cars on display didn't have any soft plastics even though one was AWD and other was 6 speed AMT.

4. Notice that there is a front driver armrest. The AC blower for the rear seats has been done away with the introduction of climate control.

5. There's quite a few improvements but they should have fixed the others like the seat height adjust mechanism and cable headlight leveller.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th February 2016 at 23:04.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 23:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

My eyes, my eyes! What colors. That aside I am TRULY excited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not much has changed here. Only the 2WD is at the 12 o'clock position ('auto' moved down on the right):

Will soon be available with an Automatic! This is an AMT, not a torque-converter. It was easier for Renault to simply add the AMT to the existing 6-speed gearbox than develop an all-new transmission. It won't be perfect, although AMTs are less jerky with high-torque engines (as the 109 BHP diesel is). Hopefully, Renault keeps the premium realistic. That would greatly expand its appeal.
This is awesome - an AMT-AWD you say? That is my ultimate dream come true - my upgrade / vehicle change path is now finally clear. Ideal car for the cities, and AWD for getting you out of the occasional bother. Truly go-anywhere vehicle for the mango man!

Have they done something about the long clutch travel in the MT?
Old 4th February 2016, 23:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My eyes, my eyes! What colors. That aside I am TRULY excited.

This is awesome - an AMT-AWD you say? That is my ultimate dream come true - my upgrade / vehicle change path is now finally clear. Ideal car for the cities, and AWD for getting you out of the occasional bother. Truly go-anywhere vehicle for the mango man!

Have they done something about the long clutch travel in the MT?
AMT is only available for 2WD variant, now for AWD.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 23:13   #13
BHPian

Thanks guys for sharing.

Renault had done a tremendous job with this facelift.

One less headache for me while choosing my next car.

Duster out of the list.
mrbaddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 23:23   #14
BHPian

An AMT will make me forgive every other travesty that this 'upgrade' represents. Maybe. I'll wait for the price tag though.
Old 4th February 2016, 23:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

The location of the spare wheel, from under-floor, to inside the car; is it for the 4x4 variant only?

Or is the stepney location common for both 4x4 and 4x2? If the Stepney location is common for both variants, this means Renault has commonised the rear floor, between the 4x4 & 4x2. That would mean very good savings on manufacturing costs for Renault!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks