Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 21:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Kia Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

If Sorento doesn't cost a bomb, it'll be so hard to resist getting one. Does anyone have any rough idea about the launch timelines for these in India? Kia plant in Andhra (on NH-44) is like a war-zone with a million JCBs and other heavy machinery working round the clock. So, I am guessing a lot of these will be here before EOY.
Old 7th February 2018, 22:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

I for one, am ready with my booking amount for the KIA SP concept! If it came with the 1.6 diesel 6 MT, that'd be my upgrade from the i20.

The Rio is an i20 under the skin and I can see the source of the new i20's inspiration. The Grand Carnival indeed looks like the big daddy of MPVs but it's low stance will definitely take a hit on roads here. Overall, an amazing line up and a very promising start.

I'm already a prospective KIA customer!
Old 7th February 2018, 22:40   #18

The KIA SP Concept looks very cool. I look forward to seeing the production version of the SUV. Having said that, I wonder how KIA is going to position its vehicle compared to Hyundai?

In my opinion with exception of few cars the designs look a generation old and find Hyundai's design more appealing than KIA.
But we never know with great pricing and right product, KIA must be able to get a foothold in the Indian auto market.
Old 7th February 2018, 23:13   #19
BHPian

This is one awesome looking line up of cars from KIA. Who so ever is the designer of the wheels of KIA cars, I should say has got taste!!! splendid looking wheels on each of the cars that were displayed.
TorqueTwist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 00:34   #20
Team-BHP Support

Kia has an amazing lineup, and their cars come closest to the European design philosophies when compared to the other Eastern brands!

Loved every single car displayed at the Expo, with the exception of one - Kia Mohave, which looks like a Hyundai from the 90s. Stinger is the most amazing model on display and I hope they do consider launching it as a flagship brand image builder.
Old 8th February 2018, 00:44   #21
BHPian

What an amazing line up! I hope they price cars competitively and does what JIO did to the telecom market!
Nevertheless, these cars all have powerful numbers on paper. Interesting to see how much of the market they capitalise with the growing number of enthusiasts. Will need to read and watch out for their reviews in terms of built and handling. Great stuff. Also, hope they sponsor sports in India like they heavily do around the world.
Old 8th February 2018, 01:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am so excited with Kia finally coming to India. I have already announced to my family that our next Honda City replacement will be a Kia
Old 8th February 2018, 01:17   #23
BHPian

Brilliant line-up! Add the SP concept and Tata Q501 to the Hyundai Creta and things begin to spice up in that segment which Hyundai has had all to itself for a while now. And the Renegade is a likely newcomer there too!. Yum! I wouldn't be surprised if their combined might pushes Compass.

The other interesting unit there was the Cerato. Looks to have the muscles (and the length) to offer serious nightmares to the C stalwarts.
Old 8th February 2018, 05:17   #24
Team-BHP Support

This is amazing, they got the entire line-up on display
Other than entry level mass market range, I foresee the SUVs to do extremely well - the Sportage and Sorento could make up for Hyundai's failure with the Tucson and the Santa Fe. And the Stinger GT can be a game changer in sports sedan space!
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 07:10   #25
BHPian

It will be very interesting to see how Hyundai positions Kia in the Indian market. When they entered the US market, Kia, despite of its attempts to have an independent identity was very much treated as an entry level version of Hyundai. Kias' were priced below their Hyundai siblings and generally offered similar or better warranties. Fast forward to today, Kia is not longer considered the cheaper sibling. In fact, Kia Optima has a stronger appeal than Hyundai Sonata - both are essentially the same cars with cosmetic differences. Ditto for some other cars in their lineup. I hope Hyundai brings in newer Kia models to India than just repackaging existing Hyundais.

Last edited by torque!! : 8th February 2018 at 07:11. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 8th February 2018, 08:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post
This is one awesome looking line up of cars from KIA. Who so ever is the designer of the wheels of KIA cars, I should say has got taste!!! splendid looking wheels on each of the cars that were displayed.
And that my friend would be...the one and only Peter Shreyer - formerly of VW group fame with cars like the Audi TT and the new Beetle under his belt.
No wonder, the new KIA design language looks AWESOME. He is now the chief of design at Hyundai-Kia.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/con...reatest-hits#1

PS: I may be biased, as I own Sorento GT Line . Love it!
SoumenM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 09:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

That is an amazing line up from Kia. Kia means business here, 15 of their existing model and India specific Concept SUV. Welcome to India, Kia!

By the way, I am eager to know that which models will be launched in India? SP Concept Suv looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing this SUV as the ready product.
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 09:25   #28
BHPian

Kia indeed is aggressive in their launch and target to sweep Maruti off the pedestal.

The CKD's are expected to start arriving by Jan'19.
Marshall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 10:18   #29
SDP
Team-BHP Support

First upon all, wonderful job Kia for showing the commitment towards the Indian market in no uncertain terms. 15 models from their international line-up on display! That's something. Having said that, I believe they should have showcased not more than just 5 carefully chosen models. Anybody who has read through this thread or visited the Expo, can you list down all 15 models on display just from memory? I would say, almost no one would. Most would remember just 4-5 and that's the point.

Anyways, here's what i thought when I read through the thread:
  • SP Concept - Gorgeous and the most promising. Have left detailed comment here on the dedicated SP Concept thread. On a lighter note, while I was checking out the thread yesterday night, my little daughter commented "Papa, they are naming a car after you!"
  • Picanto - Entry level hatch. A big pie of the Indian market is just that product segment ..too crowded and fiercely competitive. One shouldn't try to barge in unless you have something really really unique to offer. Didn't really feel Picanto has anything unique to offer. They can strip it down and price it ridiculously low just to get foot in the door. But "lowest priced hatch" is definitely not a badge to aspire for (something the Tatas have painfully learnt with the Nano).
  • Rio - This could compete with the Swift/i20/Figo/Polo etc. 99BHP sounds nice. Understated and looks very "Hyundai". 1600Kgs for a hatch sounds a bit too much to me. I believe most models from the competition weigh about 1000 Kgs. So although the power figures are impressive, the performance would be mediocre if the weight is indeed 1600Kgs.
  • Stinger GT - Loved the stance. 365BHP - 510 NM - RWD - staggered set-up ! Nice looking car and not too flashy for the specs it offers. I genuinely doubt, they would launch it in India. They might try the CBU route and do a "Jeep Cherokee", but I doubt Kia as a brand can pull that off the way Jeep did.
  • Sportage - Compact SUV with 182BHP-402NM AWD! Wow! The 0-100 timings are unbelievable. This could be a game-changer and something to look forward to. Would be a loud wake-up call for EcoSport and rest of the hatch-on-stilts "compact-SUVs". Would be interesting to see how they position the SP concept relative to the Sportage.
  • Cadenza - This one is lower spec-ed than the Stinger GT and more 'classy' in terms of overall design. 289BHP. I doubt, they would bring it here.
  • Stonic - Hatch-back based compact SUV. Super-compact SUV. I will pass.
  • Cerato - Mid-sized sedan. 150BHP. Should compete well with City/Ciaz/Rapid. I believe, this would come to India.
  • Cee'd - Weird name, but impressive specs. 201BHP 265NM. Proper hot-hatch even by international standards. Wish it had some distinctive design. All hatches from Kia seem to come out of a common mould.
  • Mohave - Proper SUV with very good specs, but looks really dated and sticks out like sour thumb in the entire lineup.
  • Sorento - 7 seater SUV. 197 BHP 441NM. From the pics, not very clear how big this one is. Depending on the size and feature-set, it might compete with Compass/XUV/Endeavor/Fortuner.
  • Grand Carnival - MPV. Looks good just like the Crysta. Would be happy to see this on Indian roads.

Last edited by SDP : 8th February 2018 at 10:25.
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:00   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Stinger and Cadenza
2 good looking cars in the expo which is otherwise filled with ugly vehicles all around! Engine and transmission specs look good too. Love the Stinger - RWD and finally a low slung car after ages! Hope Kia launch the Stinger here, will be a great alternative to the overpriced Germans!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 8th February 2018 at 11:01.

Most Viewed