Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2018, 11:30   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kia Motors @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Anyways, here's what i thought when I read through the thread:
  • Sportage - Compact SUV with 182BHP-402NM AWD! Wow! The 0-100 timings are unbelievable. This could be a game-changer and something to look forward to. Would be a loud wake-up call for EcoSport and rest of the hatch-on-stilts "compact-SUVs". Would be interesting to see how they position the SP concept relative to the Sportage.
  • Sorento - 7 seater SUV. 197 BHP 441NM. From the pics, not very clear how big this one is. Depending on the size and feature-set, it might compete with Compass/XUV/Endeavor/Fortuner.
On the Crossovers – The Sportage will be in a segment higher and go against the Tucson and Jeep (probably can hit the American with some imaginative pricing), and Sorento can slot in the position vacated by the Santa Fe.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*] Sportage - Compact SUV with 182BHP-402NM AWD! Wow! The 0-100 timings are unbelievable. This could be a game-changer and something to look forward to. Would be a loud wake-up call for EcoSport and rest of the hatch-on-stilts "compact-SUVs". Would be interesting to see how they position the SP concept relative to the Sportage.
Sportage is in the Tucson category and hence pricing may not be in the Ecosport range.

Quote:
[*] Sorento - 7 seater SUV. 197 BHP 441NM. From the pics, not very clear how big this one is. Depending on the size and feature-set, it might compete with Compass/XUV/Endeavor/Fortuner.
Its a great UV, I expect the pricing to be in the Fortuner range.

Quote:
[*] Grand Carnival - MPV. Looks good just like the Crysta. Would be happy to see this on Indian roads.
Have driven this vehicle quite a lot and trust me, it is one of the most spacious, versatile and refined MUVs out there. Quality of the interiors and seats are top notch too.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queryanalyzer View Post
K900/K9 is probably the the only one that is missing.
I guess the Premium Luxury Sedan - "Quoris" and the Compact MPV - "Carens" (or "Rondo" in some countries) are missing as well.

KIA is one of the Top 5 Brands in terms of sales volume in the Middle East. Cerato, Optima, Rio & Sportage are their top selling models.

Below is their vehicle line up in the UAE:

Kia Motors @ Auto Expo 2018-untitled.jpg

Source: http://www.kia-uae.com/

Last edited by cbatrody : 8th February 2018 at 11:34.
cbatrody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:35   #34
BHPian

Their line-up looks wonderful. Any idea on service? Is Hyundai going to cover it?
Old 8th February 2018, 11:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, here's what i thought when I read through the thread:
  • Rio - This could compete with the Swift/i20/Figo/Polo etc. 99BHP sounds nice. Understated and looks very "Hyundai". 1600Kgs for a hatch sounds a bit too much to me. I believe most models from the competition weigh about 1000 Kgs. So although the power figures are impressive, the performance would be mediocre if the weight is indeed 1600Kgs.
The 1600kgs mentioned is the gross weight and not the curb weight. Gross Weight includes the weight of the passengers and cargo.
In India we usually use kerb weight. So keeping in that mind the curb weight should be around 1000-1100kgs.

Last edited by SDP : 8th February 2018 at 12:18. Reason: Trimming the quote post :)
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 12:58   #36
BHPian

Realistically speaking, KIA may just launch the SP concept initially and then bring in the entry level hatchback like Picanto and then Rio and may be Cerato. I don't think they would be able to sell the other big bad SUVs and the sporty sedans in here due to the presence of Toyota/Ford and the Germans respectively. Also, not sure about their production capacity in their upcoming facility in Andhra Pradesh.

Is it very hard for Hyundai to plonk that 1 litre turbo charged Petrol mill in i20, to replace that meek 1.2 L NA Petrol motor?
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 14:23   #37
BHPian

Such a wide range and with this interest and investment, i am sure they will go big in India. Most of these cars look pretty good too. I have seen few Kia's in the far-east while travelling and they look good in quality and had wonderful paint job. They could be a good choice for Indian consumers.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 16:09   #38
BHPian

So Kia is here, and I must say they have got all their arms and ammunition ready to get in the great war going on in the Indian car industry. We all know that only a few of the cars on display will end up on Indian roads but that will be interesting to watch. With Hyundai at its back and good global reputation, Kia will surely see some good numbers here. I am already seeing some potential customers on this thread itself. My pick for India will be -
SP Concept
Rio
Stinger GT
Sportage
Cadneza
Sorento
Old 8th February 2018, 16:31   #39
BHPian

It feels like that Kia Motors is serious about India, displaying a wide range of models at the Auto Expo. It seems that Kia Picanto, Kia Rio are quite similar to Hyundai i10, i20 & I believe Kia would be hoping to get a high percentage of its sales from these two models. The Picanto looks a bit better than the i10, on the other hand I feel that the i20 still looks better than the Rio. The rear tail lamps on the Kia Rio seems to be inspired from the Mahindra KUV100 (or is it the other way round).

The rear tail lamps of the Kia Rio:

Kia Motors @ Auto Expo 2018-kia-rio.jpg

The rear tail lamps of the Mahindra KUV100

Kia Motors @ Auto Expo 2018-mahindrakuv10003.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 8th February 2018 at 16:39.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 16:49   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful lineup. I always wanted them to enter our market and now we dont need to wait that long. Wish they price it well.

Stinger GT - They added the side reflector to meet the US regulation (as per the review by YouTuber Doug. But could have kept it small. Even he went nuts with it. And there are many discussions on Kia forums on how to get rid of it).

Cadenza - 345 section tire? Was that a typo?
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 02:10   #41
BHPian

Think I'll echo what many have said here. Kia really brought everything but the kitchen sink it seems. In terms of really stamping their mark in the minds of the Indian car buying public, this is certainly one way to do it. By pretty much having your entire global product portfolio on show. I imagine more than anything this'll be of biggest benefit in enticing dealers. I would guess they would be pretty heartened to see the new brand bet the farm with the whole range rather than drip feeding products to make tentative early steps into a new and highly contested market.

I'm also curious by the duality of the styling. It's either really funky or rather drab and middle of the road (a la traditional Toyota styling).
Old 9th February 2018, 23:36   #42
BHPian

Kia Borrego/Mohave.. is that vehicle still being sold? I remember when Kia made so much noise back in 2000's about how they are creating this exclusively for US market. It was launched just before or during recession and was a big disaster.. basically sold for only one year before removing entirely from line up. It was not even favorably reviewed either at the time of launch. Not sure how it is doing now in its markets.
chpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 21:53   #43
BHPian

A wide product range from Kia to cater to different catagory of Indian customers.
To me the rear design of all the cars are very good looking as well as the aesthetically pleasing and proportionate side profile.
However the Kia signature grill at the front may not go well with Indians just like the Aston Martinsque grill of Figo and Aspire failed.
Old 13th February 2018, 23:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpk View Post
Kia Borrego/Mohave.. is that vehicle still being sold? I remember when Kia made so much noise back in 2000's about how they are creating this exclusively for US market. It was launched just before or during recession and was a big disaster.. basically sold for only one year before removing entirely from line up. It was not even favorably reviewed either at the time of launch. Not sure how it is doing now in its markets.

As a personal vehicle, it is doing quite bad. The only people I know who use the Mohave are the Dubai Police. It is the perfect vehicle for their needs. As a personal vehicle, people tend to choose the feature rich and much, much better looking Sorento.

Last year, in the UAE, Kia launched a faclifted Mohave. The car turned out to be a sales disaster once again. IMO Kia should discontinue the car and turn their focus on to the Sorento in the SUV segment.

The Mohave is to Kia what the Santa Fe is to Hyundai in India - Big, practical, good to drive but a sales disaster.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Could not resist. Here is KIA Stinger Super bowl 2018 commercial.

Most Viewed