Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2018, 16:33   #16
BHPian

re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

The red adorned Yaris doesn't seem to make the car look good, especially from the front. Whilst the Yaris adorned in other colors looks appreciable.

Whats with the bulging out rear lights and the central armrest extending into rear space!!?

Besides the model shown in this thread, The Toyota Yaris(Not the sedan version in this thread) is supposed to help Toyota lift the Manufacturer's Title in 2018 WRC season, with the help of Finnish drivers!
Old 8th February 2018, 16:40   #17
BHPian

So finally, an exciting sedan from Toyota to compete in a segment where the competitors enjoyed Toyota's absence all these years. A big thumbs up for 7 airbags in this segment. I am sure dual frontal airbags would be standard across all the variants. And, did I just see a retractable seatbelt for the rear center passenger? Or is it a conventional lap belt tucked up nicely? Talking about the seats, my personal preference would be ventilated driver seat over an electrically adjustable one. As pointed out, the tires look hugely out of place for a vehicle of this size. Whatever, this is overall a nice package from Toyota and I am pretty hopeful that it would sell in good numbers
Old 8th February 2018, 16:55   #18
BHPian

Looks like whatever break Honda India engineers were expecting after working on the next-gen Amaze, CRV and Civic will get cancelled after the debut of Yaris if not already. City still continues to be Honda's best-seller and major sales driver, which I think will soon be under threat with Yaris running on Indian roads from May. Only if Toyota can add a sunroof to the overall package, Yaris will overpower all the other cars including the Verna which already is quite feature loaded.

As many have pointed out though, a whole lot still depends on how Toyota defines the pricing and model wise feature availability. Given our love as a country towards SUVs and diminishing interest on sedans, I think Toyota will keep it 0.75-1.5 lakhs cheaper than say the Creta and hence stay in the City or Verna territory.
Old 8th February 2018, 18:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dont know if its just me but this car looks so unexciting. Its seems like one of those products which is good but not great or outstanding at anything. Somehow its 3/4th angle reminds me of Nissan Sunny.

Few years back it would have been better positioned but in current market it goes against 3 good products City, Verna and Ciaz which are doing well. So the potential to carve a success are lesser in my view. But then T brand can do wonders. Lets wait and watch.
Old 8th February 2018, 18:18   #20
BHPian

I think over the years, the Indian buyer has started giving a lot of weightage to styling as part of the overall buying decision. Other companies like Tata, Hyundai have re-invented themselves in the way they style their products.
Another important factor that is important for the Indian buyer is the image they project when they buy/use the car. This image was once only about price and size, but it is now also about style and fashion.

Keeping this in mind, this Toyota is too ugly, too practical, too straightforward to really take the market by storm. No doubt it will do decently well, but the market has moved on Toyota, you should move as well.
jalsa777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 18:24   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The 15" wheels seem too small for the sedan and 16" would have been better. Toyota says that the 15" wheels are more suited for the Indian road conditions.
Yes, that is why, keep launching the Innova Crysta in 17 inch wheels, go back to 16 inch and then bring the 17 inch wheels back...makes sense?

Looks unexciting to me and Toyota being Toyota won't price it as a VFM offering and it will still sell as the reliability is still unmatched by any manufacturer.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 19:49   #22
Team-BHP Support

Excellent preview! Covered almost like an official review. The real Toyota quality used to start from the Corolla, but that segment is almost non-existent in our market. With the Yaris, they have an able competitor to the likes of the Honda City.

It's after ages a Toyota has managed to generate some buzz; hope they don't do a Ford Fiesta with the pricing.
Old 8th February 2018, 20:08   #23
BHPian

Happy to see Toyota bringing in one of the completed product to India in the C-segment. Going by Toyota's standards, all the versions of this car will have ABS, ESC and front dual airbags as standard. Also if the rumor is correct, they are planning to have automatic in all the variants of this car which makes the segment more competitive. Also a big thanks to Toyota for launching the car with 7 airbags and all the useful bells and whistles.

Toyota should take leaf out of Verna's pricing and keep the prices on par with its competitors. If priced well then it will be tough times ahead for the trio (City, Verna and upcoming Ciaz Facelift). They should not be greedy this time as we have already two worthy competitors ruling this segment for a long time now. They got away with the Innova pricing because of the segment it is catering and also there is no proper MUV to compete in that segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Only if Toyota can add a sunroof to the overall package, Yaris will overpower all the other cars including the Verna which already is quite feature loaded.
The reason for missing sunroof is due to the roof mounted AC in the Car. Also the sunroof is of not much use for our weather and pollution in the cities.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 20:32   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

This car is just the perfect vehicle to give Toyota a piece of the C+ segment. I am myself inclined to wait a bit longer and check this car in the CVT variant. But my gut feeling is that Toyota would screw this big time. It has always taken pride in over pricing its cars compared to the rest of the players in the segment. With the Innova and Fortuner, they could get away with it and the Altis was more of a lone runner in its segment. My feeling is they will price this at a premium to Honda city specially when it is boasting of so many segment first features.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 20:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This car is just the perfect vehicle to give Toyota a piece of the C+ segment. I am myself inclined to wait a bit longer and check this car in the CVT variant. But my gut feeling is that Toyota would screw this big time. It has always taken pride in over pricing its cars compared to the rest of the players in the segment. With the Innova and Fortuner, they could get away with it and the Altis was more of a lone runner in its segment. My feeling is they will price this at a premium to Honda city specially when it is boasting of so many segment first features.
Exactly my thoughts!!! CVT Automatic + 6 Airbags + 1.5 L vvtI engine + ISOFIX + Cruise Control + paddle shifters +rear bench for 3 + Some segment firsts + TOYOTA ahem = 9L-13L.

"Sonu ke Teetu ki Sweety" movie dialogue fits apt for it. "Bhai, Itne acche log hote hai kya"

The other alternative which fits the bill for similar (read not same) requirements is Ecosport Titanium plus AT. Knowing Toyota, they can make even ecosport look VFM.

Prove me wrong Toyota!!!

Last edited by headbanger : 8th February 2018 at 21:07.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 20:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am afraid this is another Etios in the making if Toyota does not price it well. The interiors are too plain jane and even the exterior styling is nothing to write home about. Yes it is a Toyota but then so was the Etios. This car will compete against some very seriously good cars in this very looks and price sensitive segment and IMHO all its competitors look a lot more contemporary than this new Toyota Yaris sedan. So I don't think this will be such an easy segment to crack for Toyota.

Last edited by SPARKled : 8th February 2018 at 21:00.
Old 8th February 2018, 21:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
The other alternative which fits the bill for similar (read not same) requirements is Ecosport Titanium plus AT. Knowing Toyota, they can make even ecosport look VFM.
Off topic but isn't Ecopsort Titanium an extremely VFM offering aready? Which other car even comes close to that equipment level at that price point?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 22:00   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the Yaris should knock the wind out of the current C/C+ segment champions provided TKM prices their product well. But is it likely? Not according to me. I think the car will be priced at 9-12L, depending on trim, ex-showroom.

This is similar to what the Corolla and the Altis were priced about a decade ago. With a Honda City that cost me approx. 8.5L on road back in '02 now priced at 2x of that money today (the new model is a more refined machine) I will not be surprised if the Yaris costs about as much as a City on road and maybe a tad bit more.

TKM likes to believe they are a cut above the rest in India. And in most cases they aren't too far from the truth. The very good to excellent overall ownership experience is what people sign up for when they pay that extra for a T badge. For some the premium is worth it and for some it isn't.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. But the current C segment leaders surely have a fight on their hands.
Old 8th February 2018, 22:34   #29
BHPian

This car will need to be priced really well in order to do decent numbers. If priced on par with City, Verna or Ciaz, all of which are significantly better looking than this Yaris, then it's a tough sell story.

At this segment price point, say 10L to 15L OTR, we are talking about non first time buyers who are upgrading. And, so the looks play a big role in car selection.

City is the typical middle class salaried folk's aspirational car, and it's been there since almost two decades. It's a solid car, runs beautifully, got awesome resale and very importantly looks like a proper exec (manager sahib) car.

Toyota needs to get better designers.

cheers
lazy.

Last edited by lazy : 8th February 2018 at 22:35.
Old 8th February 2018, 22:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Is the 1.5 a reworked version of the Etios petrol ?
Toyota Etios VX Ex-showroom Pune is 7.71L. I think a nice starting point for the Yaris would be 8.99L Ex-showroom for the base. I would be happier (And a potential customer too) if they simply discontinue V/VX versions of Etios and offer the Yaris in the "E" Trim instead.

Last edited by sajo : 8th February 2018 at 22:59. Reason: Added points.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed