Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2018, 23:39   #61
BHPian

re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

To be honest, the interiors of Yaris already look outdated. Most people on this thread are saying that it's better than the Etios and so that's how low the comparision is! Wonder how the outdated the interiors will look 3-4 years down in 2021-22. Honda have been coming up with new generation of the City every 5 years and Toyota don't like to do that, do they?
Old 14th February 2018, 00:24   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Majority here seem to suggest Toyota has to play the value card to make the Yaris even a reasonable success. But I beg to differ.

Toyota has a huge brand recall among the middle and upper middle class across age groups. The looks are neutral and I feel majority of the office goers would be OK with it. Throw in the features coupled with Toyota's fuss free ownership, I see a winner on Toyota's hands. IMO, at the least they will price it on par with the City.

I don't think Toyota will ever look to undercut Maruti or Hyundai, their perception of self worth is much more!
Dont think thats true. The fuss free quotient is lot higher with Maruti. And with the Ciaz on offer and ranking high numbers, the Yaris will be tough to sell. Toyota loyalists might buy it, but the Ciaz undercuts it in both price and the legroom part.
Old 14th February 2018, 00:25   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
To be honest, the interiors of Yaris already look outdated.
Reminds me of the interiors of Chevy Sail. Not much design theme or flair seen.

However - it would still sell as the overall package (As a Toyota) looks rather competent, unless they get the price horribly wrong.
Old 14th February 2018, 05:20   #64
BHPian

It will surely sell around 4000 copies every single month Guaranteed. That's brand Toyota. Competitors envy. Toyota has pretty much led the sales in each and every segment it sells, barring Etios/Liva because Indian mass market prefers show-off blings to Safe body structure.

With the kind of features Yaris possess', its a sure shot seller. Mind you, Toyota is least bit interested in volumes and are more interested in margins. So do not think they will pit Yaris against Origami Ciaz as competition is always against equals. Toyota is a premium brand, even in India and can afford to price it at a premium and people will still lap it up without second thoughts.

I sincerely believe Yaris will compete against City on all fronts and simply let Ciaz take the volume. Toyota would want to win the Margin war and not the volume war.

Proud to be a Toyota Fanboy, just because it cares for me and my family and puts safety ahead of blings.
Old 14th February 2018, 07:44   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
To be honest, the interiors of Yaris already look outdated. Most people on this thread are saying that it's better than the Etios and so that's how low the comparision is! Wonder how the outdated the interiors will look 3-4 years down in 2021-22. Honda have been coming up with new generation of the City every 5 years and Toyota don't like to do that, do they?
I personally don’t feel that the City’s interiors ooze quality; unlike the previous gen City the current one looks busy inside out with too many design elements. IMO Japanese/Korean models normally get a generation change every 5 years or so (compared to 7-10 years for Euro models) because their designs generally age pretty fast. Though nothing special from a design point of view, the Yaris look pretty good for its segment – probably more on function than form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Reminds me of the interiors of Chevy Sail. Not much design theme or flair seen.
I think they chose beige due to our market’s notion of beige = premium, but black interiors would have elevated the overall look.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-yaris1273_9_l.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
However - it would still sell as the overall package (As a Toyota) looks rather competent, unless they get the price horribly wrong.
That’s what I think too, unless they try and play the premium tag a bit too much like how Ford did with the Fiesta sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Dont think thats true. The fuss free quotient is lot higher with Maruti. And with the Ciaz on offer and ranking high numbers, the Yaris will be tough to sell. Toyota loyalists might buy it, but the Ciaz undercuts it in both price and the legroom part.
Fuss-free quotient is pretty high with brand Toyota as well. That’s probably the only reason that something the Etios still sell in our market. I think if the Yaris works, the main competition will be the City and not the Ciaz; the latter is only a diesel option I doubt if the petrol-only Yaris will have an impact, whereas City’s bulk of the sales are from petrol variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
With the kind of features Yaris possess', its a sure shot seller. Mind you, Toyota is least bit interested in volumes and are more interested in margins. So do not think they will pit Yaris against Origami Ciaz as competition is always against equals. Toyota is a premium brand, even in India and can afford to price it at a premium and people will still lap it up without second thoughts.
Toyota a premium brand? It’s as premium as a Honda or a Hyundai. Playing in a mass-market volume segment with just high-margin aspirations is a sure-shot recipe for failure. I think they are starting it right (though pretty late) in a crowded segment with car well-loaded with features. Now they have to back it up and show its value against the likes of the City – and pricing will be the key factor.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 10:01   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
I have never owned a Maruti and hence cannot compare but can definitely vouch for Toyota. I am with my third Toyota in 8 years and I don't have anything to complain with respect to service, maintenance and reliability. The old innovas were bullet proof and the Crysta too, after the initial niggles has served well going strong at 45k km in 2 years.

I have spent a whole day in the back seat of a friend's Ciaz and the leg room apart, the comfort was quite poor (I am a 6 footer for your reference). So, I don't believe more leg room = more comfort. Anyway, we will know the result soon since as per ACI, Yaris should be out in showrooms in a couple of months.
Old 14th February 2018, 14:57   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyotas a pretty damn fuss free! The Etios rattles lesser than an equivalent Maruti (or even a Maruti that's a segment higher), but at the same time - the Ciaz has truly hit the ball out of the park.

Personally I feel it looks nicer, and has nicer interiors than the Yaris too - and if the Yaris is not well priced, the Ciaz will continue leading the show! The rear seat may not be as comfortable (short seat base, poor headroom), but if that was the case - the Etios would be raking in numbers!
I'd still pick up the Yaris over the Ciaz, but that's because I am a 6 footer. For others, they would pick up the Ciaz without a doubt.

In terms of service, I found that Toyota adds on a lot more 'value add' items as compared to Maruti, so that is a minus point in Toyota's favour though the company responds blisteringly quick to email complaints.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 09:42   #68
BHPian

Why in the name of all things holy are there so many design lines on the front of this Yaris?

Everything else in the segment looks so 'statesman' like. I feel people looking for a sedan want something that look regal when they're driving, and this IMHO looks like..... I don't even know what it looks like.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-ciaz-front.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-city-front.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-verna-front.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-yaris-front.jpg
qr20de is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 10:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

Why is the dashboard like a 6 lakh hatchback? Why does Toyota always mess-up in the interiors department? Not one car where the interiors feel segment leading! Etios siblings, Corolla (in comparison to the Civic discontinued), Innova (in comparison to Hexa).
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 11:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
Why in the name of all things holy are there so many design lines on the front of this Yaris?
Toyota and Lexus for that matter, likes complex and myriad design elements. Maybe its done to make the car look more interesting and not dull or boring.

The latest fad here in Kerala is to make the face of a Crysta or a Fortuner look a bit like Lexus. And the makers of the chrome butterfly bits are in for a kill.

Yaris should look better in black. Just masking that body coloured bit on the grille itself makes it better looking I think.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-p2070396.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 14:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

If i was Honda or Hyundai, i wouldn't be too worried having seen the Yaris.
The current city looks a lot more modern than the Yaris and Honda have the next generation model lined up for 2019. That would be light years ahead of the Yaris i feel. Toyota cannot afford to price this at a premium or else they will be digging their own grave. Also i feel bullet proof reliability of toyota is a bit overrated, Honda, Hyundai & Suzuki all make very reliable cars.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 16:32   #72
BHPian

I don't know about the market, but I must confess I had a pang of regret for not having waited for Yaris. I like:

-four disc brakes
-seven airbags
-cruise control
-peppy petrol (just a guess considering it is developed version of the one on Etios)

Which other car offers all these? Honda city comes close.

And icing on the cake - Toyota service! I would have sat back and enjoyed it for the next 10 years or more in peace.
jhaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 16:56   #73
Senior - BHPian

Having experienced first hand the build quality, reliability, durability and fuss free ownership experience associated with Toyota, I would buy the Yaaris eyes closed, if I were to purchase a car in that segment.

But I agree with the sentiment, that Yaaris look a bit dated and the competition is formidable too. I would be really interested to know how a full blown Toyota offering performs in a relatively mass market segment that is also concentrated. Although Yaaris would be my pick for the segment, and even if it were priced on par with the competition, I expect no more than 1.5k - 2.5k shipments per month for it.
Old 16th February 2018, 17:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

Unlike the Innova which still does not have any real competition (international brand of repute and a global competitor and not local home grown brands) Honda, Suzuki and Hyundai are no push overs. They thought they will taste instant success with the Etios but just see what they got in the face of tough competition. Even now the Yaris sedan is just a Jack of all trades so I just can't see it succeed against the already formidable existing competition.

Last edited by SPARKled : 16th February 2018 at 17:07.
Old 21st February 2018, 07:30   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Yaris may not get diesel option at all.

Readying a BS-VI-compliant diesel engine would entail additional investment and, with demand flagging, Toyota may not see the business case for one.

Quote:
The Yaris will be offered with the option of a six-speed manual or a seven-speed (step) CVT, and will also feature some segment-firsts, such as a powered driver's seat and front parking sensors, among others. Toyota's City fighter is expected to be priced between Rs 8.4 - 13.5 lakh when it is launched in the month of May.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks