Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 23:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Unlike the Innova which still does not have any real competition (international brand of repute and a global competitor and not local home grown brands) Honda, Suzuki and Hyundai are no push overs. They thought they will taste instant success with the Etios but just see what they got in the face of tough competition. Even now the Yaris sedan is just a Jack of all trades so I just can't see it succeed against the already formidable existing competition.
Nailed it. Honda and Hyundai have fantastic offerings (dare i say better) in this segment. Toyota cannot be serious if it thinks its going to get 50% plus market share ! No way is that happening. Innova and Fortuner do exist in unique segments where the other majors don't have comparable offerings.
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:09   #77

I think Ciaz will fade out slowly as market shifts towards petrol. City is due for new model late next year. Yaris is anyways not exciting be it interiors or even exteriors. I still firmly believe Honda City with its iVtec engine will remain a king until electric vehicles become the norm on Indian roads
Old 22nd February 2018, 13:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Yaris is stepping into a competitive segment, it may not be as fierce as small car segment, but still a remarkably competitive one.
Ciaz engines are barely adequate but known to be efficient for average motoring, with car also having a spacious rear seat and an impressive size. City needs no introduction as the car even after two decades has a premium image for its class, something Yaris wont be able to take away quickly I guess. Verna has improved in its latest avatar, a very pleasant surprise was the manner in which Verna's biggest weakness (Ride and Handling) got addressed by Hyundai. Verna also feels better built than City/Ciaz, has a smooth petrol and segment best diesel, both power-plants available with convenience of automatic transmission. On safety front, City and Verna fare well IMO.

Where will Yaris slot in ? Is there anything in Yaris that stands out amidst rivals ? Space, efficiency, value for money package are crowns rightfully in hands of current player/s. After initial excitement of finally having this car in India subdues, logic starts to take precedence. Yaris probably will be consistent and score more than reasonably well in all parameters without excelling at any one and hence Toyota has kitted it out well it seems. Still, this boils down to pricing. Toyota has already felt the heat with Etios twins. Hope they dont burn their fingers again with ridiculous price tag. IMHO, pricing near to or at par with City will be blunder, slot it below City/Verna and grab volumes from Ciaz and City/Verna. I am not sure if this news is true, but if it is, Vios may not have a diesel variant. I doubt if Yaris could give City a tough time. At best, if priced well, Ciaz could see a dent in sales as for a bit more amount, the badge shifts from Maruti Suzuki to Toyota.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd February 2018 at 14:02.
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:10   #79
BHPian

I think eventually Yaris will gobble up 40% of petrol market share in C2 sedan segment. I read somewhere that if they are looking to sell around 2000 units of Yaris and anything above that is a bonus for Toyota. 2000 Units should be around 30% of the C2 sedan segment in petrol and I think they will easily achieve this number.
Old 23rd February 2018, 00:13   #80
BHPian

The general consensus seems to be that the Yaris has its work cut out against its rivals. But I feel that if Toyota play their cards right, they have a potential success.

The City-Verna-Ciaz trio is a formidable one, but each one of them has a serious shortcoming. The Verna is cramped, the Ciaz underpowered and the City too expensive. The Yaris seems to be a jack of all trades and Toyota has immense brand equity. In terms of sales too, Ciaz sales have slowed down a bit, the Verna is in its initial euphoric phase and the City isn't invincible anymore.

I, for one hope to see it succeed in the market and put some pressure on Honda and Hyundai.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 14:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
It will surely sell around 4000 copies every single month Guaranteed. That's brand Toyota. Competitors envy. Toyota has pretty much led the sales in each and every segment it sells, barring Etios/Liva because Indian mass market prefers show-off blings to Safe body structure.

With the kind of features Yaris possess', its a sure shot seller. Mind you, Toyota is least bit interested in volumes and are more interested in margins. So do not think they will pit Yaris against Origami Ciaz as competition is always against equals. Toyota is a premium brand, even in India and can afford to price it at a premium and people will still lap it up without second thoughts.

I sincerely believe Yaris will compete against City on all fronts and simply let Ciaz take the volume. Toyota would want to win the Margin war and not the volume war.

Proud to be a Toyota Fanboy, just because it cares for me and my family and puts safety ahead of blings.
The powertrain is imported from Indonesia & their targeted volume is 1.5k ~ 2.0k / month. Hence I would not be surprised if their pricing is higher than even the City.
vijit.gangwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 08:15   #82
BHPian

Lot of discussion on how 8 to 16 lakh sedan category will span out with launch of Yaris. My two cents -

1. Ciaz - Will continue to be the cheapest offering all features (except those related to Safety). With good rear seat space and Maruti's known after sales service, it will manage to stick to its volumes after launch of facelift.

2. Vento / Rapid - Will continue with their current volumes.

3. Verna - Their petrol variants will see a slow death. Only reason for people to buy Verna would be their refined diesel engines. Verna along with City will see decline in volumes.

4. City - They have their task cut out. Honda is giving good fight to Vios/Yaris in South East Asian markets. But in those markets, Honda comes with all safety features like VSA and HSA. Their task is cut out with the next generation release - match Yaris in Safety and Quality to stay relevant. Having the sweet iVtec alone is not going to help counter Yaris.

5. Toyota - People buying City ZX variant will be the target for maximizing their margin and profit. They will offer a car which is niggle free, loaded with safety features and having decent rear seat space. Their brand image along with lower maintenance cost (lower TCO) will pull lot of people away from City.

What about Pricing? Yaris top variant along with its Safety features and Brand image, in my opinion, will be priced at least 50k to 75K higher than City ZX. Will there be takers? Of course, and the cost of ownership over 5 to 6 years will easily compensate for the extra price people have to pay initially.
Simhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 12:22   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Yaris continues its road test , spied in Bangalore.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-newtoyotayarisindiaspy.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 20:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Had gone to a Toyota dealer to enquire about the Yaris launch. I was told it is expected to be launched around end of April with deliveries to begin around June. The base model price itself, as informed by the Toyota guy is estimated to be around 13 big ones since the bottom variant might come feature laden including the 7 airbags.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 21:43   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The base model price itself, as informed by the Toyota guy is estimated to be around 13 big ones since the bottom variant might come feature laden including the 7 airbags.
Maruti would be celebrating such price and features by Toyota, as this would ensure Maruti keeps selling it's mediocre repainted (minor change??) Ciaz for as long as it wants because who needs safe cars in India.
Old 4th March 2018, 23:09   #86
BHPian

Toyota Yaris @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Maruti would be celebrating such price and features by Toyota, as this would ensure Maruti keeps selling it's mediocre repainted (minor change??) Ciaz for as long as it wants because who needs safe cars in India.

If this is the approach and attitude of Maruti then they will have themselves bracketed or slotted again. Ciaz was their attempt to break out of the small car mould and they will be walking into a similar trap again.

More and more people are getting safety conscious and the auto makers have to cater to that.

It is best to say no to such automakers if they do not provide us enough safety features. Bikes without ABS or Cars without enough AirBags/ all Disk Brakes and other safety mechanisms.

Regards
Bharath

Last edited by bharath79 : 4th March 2018 at 23:37.
Old 5th March 2018, 07:40   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had gone to a Toyota dealer to enquire about the Yaris launch. I was told it is expected to be launched around end of April with deliveries to begin around June. The base model price itself, as informed by the Toyota guy is estimated to be around 13 big ones since the bottom variant might come feature laden including the 7 airbags.

I really doubt it! During the launch Toyota would have made a buzz around the fact that 7 airbags are standard, which they did not. Secondly, Toyota will target to rival the Honda City at some level, meaning they would have variants that compete with the the most popular variants in the City, like the V ( around 11-12 Lakhs) and V CVT ( 14 Lakhs).

Keeping the base variant at 13 L ( on road ) would mean ceding ground to the City, New Verna and the Ciaz from day one.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:03   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update ! I would take the dealer's report with a pinch of salt.
Few Things to note regarding the Yaris launch is
1. Toyota is already late to this segment , they had been complaining for half a decade that they cannot match the price for this segment. Now that they have planned to enter the market I am sure they have done their homework.

2. Toyota will be aware regarding the shrinking size of the segment thanks to new found love for the Compact SUV segment .

Anything above 3-5% above City pricing , I think Toyota should forgot decent volumes . Anything closer to City pricing /20k-30k over City pricing is what Toyota should target .
karanraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 04:20   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Abroad (and perhaps in India too) 'Used Car Salesman' is virtually a general term used for any extremely sleazy and untrustworthy person. Unfortunately in India the same applies to New Car Salespersons as well.

The guy was just trying to dissuade you from waiting for the Yaris and probably wanted you to buy something already available with him, plain and simple.
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 00:06   #90
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Toyota Yaris Ativ sedan spotted testing in Bangalore

Looks like the Yaris official site for India is up. https://www.toyotabharat.com/showroom/yaris/

It does not have all details of variant-wise features, but still has decent amount of information for first timer. Some 1st in segment features like 7 airbags, TPMS, power driver seat controls, TFT MID etc are highlighted.

Last edited by Caffeinated : 10th March 2018 at 00:11.
Caffeinated is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks