Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2004, 20:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

My track day in a Porsche and a Ferrari 360M

This is something that I did a couple of years ago june 2002 in the UK. I enrolled for an afternoon track course at Thruxton Uk. The deal - 6 laps in an MG saloon car, 3 laps in a Porsche Boxter or an SLK , 4 laps in the Ferrari and six laps in a formula renault singe seater followed by a high speed ride in an MG touring car...here goes

MG ZR - sweet car - main purpose was to supervise you going around the track and ensuring that you got familiar with the line. Amazing how important it is, if you get one thing wrong, it all goes for a six especially at chicanes.

Porsche Boxter - Then moved to a boxster, was offered an SLK but after having driven Mercs, it was a no brainer which to decide. This is one perfectly balanced car, I really liked this car, it was as if you are totally in harmony. The car really went hard.

Ferrari 360 M - They originally had planned to put me in a rhd 360 F1 but the car blew a connection and some one dropped a screw inside and no one dared turn the engine. I was switched to an lhd manual, no problem for me. The car is wide, got a detailed briefling and then engine on - boy what a sound, first lap was uneventful, more to get familier, by the third lap I was allowed to get the car upto 200km/h on a straight. Loved the shove as you put you foot down. What amazed me was the cornering power at a chicane, I for got to brake in time so I took a risk and went in fast and powered out. AWESOME, did not miss a beat (but my heart did). BTW, in all the above cars, you had an instructor sitting shot gun. There were some idiiots - saw a ferrari brake in a corner - so stupid! To sum up, thrilling but the car is really an exotic road car, lacks the raw pleasure of a Porsche 993. You are aware that the car costs a bomb so be careful!!!!

Formula Renault - boy, you feel every vibration, every bump. It is not easy, no power brakes etc. Took a lap to get used to it. Suddenly you realise that you were on your own, so I began to push harder, boy it was fun, again the challenge was at the curves, boy it held on.

Got out and into the MG touring car - boy we were hitting corners at 120kmph, the driver slid the car into corners, it was around 5.30 and I was the last person so he could push hard.

Boy, it was an experience worth all the 290 pounds that was spent. I had a great big grin on my face. The kind that you have after a great honeymoon

WOrth a look - www.thruxtonracing.co.uk, they now have a Porsche 996 turbo and a lambo is on order. Next time ? I would like to return and push an Elise around for 14 laps or go to ROckingham and spend a day with thr Lotus handling team pushing an elise to its limits - but that costs 500 pounds

My life amibition - a BMW M3 around the Nurburgring
Old 28th February 2004, 23:45   #2
BHPian

Nie one..i have been trying to do this for sometime now, but i dont know if we have anything like this in US here..we have motor speedways where you can go on a given day and i think rent the track and do shit with your own car and stuff, not with rented cars..

I had read about this(not the same place, but a diff one) which had many more exotic cars to chose from..this was back in 2000 i think..and that time it got me thinking about something like this in india, but ofcourse you need a bank and not a bank account to pull something like there..but it would be fun, i wounder how many people would pay 10,000rs or more for 30 mins or more of adrenaline rush?? I would..but i dont know..

But it was great..I would love to do this some day and would check it out when I am in london next time around..

but I have u r 1 lucky son of a gun..

l8r
Old 29th February 2004, 00:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

That's really awesome. I wouldn't mind spending 20+K ( Rs. ofcourse) for that sort of thrill.

200kmph on Thruxton is really impressive considering the fact that it isn't that big a track and that you'd done just 3 laps on it.

Really worth it.......

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 29th February 2004, 00:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey youre real lucky dude

I' wouldnt mond spending 290 pounds for such thrills . Next time I make a trip round UK I surely will save up and try this out

Cheers
Old 29th February 2004, 23:52   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

OMGGGGGGGGGG Ajmat,

That is just amazing - A pick of the very best brands from UK, Germany and Italy (a ferrari no less)...and to top it up with a single seater racing car..Where do I sign up? I have heard rave reviews from a load of people about thruxton. Apparently the most professional racing school in the UK.

Butttttttttttttt how about some pictures? How about a longer write-up on the laps spent behind the wheel of the Prancing Horse and the Formula renault?

GTO

Most Viewed