Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2011, 22:08   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Mahindra Adventure" Launched! Multi-Day Great Escapes, TSD Rallies and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@GTO: I started offroad because it was cheaper than trying to race in the racing circuit.
Of course, your largest expense in track racing is a set of tyres. One hard weekend and you're looking at 20,000 - 40,000 in tyre replacements

I still insist though, offroading is not a cheap sport. When it comes to track racing, you mostly use your family sedan. However, your Jeep or Gypsy cannot serve as the only car of the house. Therein, you've spent 2 - 7 lakhs on a special purpose vehicle. Then, there's the cost of repair after offroading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Try targeting the ladies, its imminent that the the guys will land up there.
Smart suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This is indeed a great initiative and as Fazal saab a great marketing strategy to get people to buy your vehicle and also create a cult following.
True. Why doesn't Maruti wake up and organise some OTRs for Gypsies?
Old 21st May 2011, 22:38   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Mahindra Adventure" Launched! Multi-Day Great Escapes, TSD Rallies and more

Good job team Great Escape So finally its announced, so can we have more details about the hiring part please.
Old 21st May 2011, 23:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Good job team Great Escape So finally its announced, so can we have more details about the hiring part please.
Good job guys, i am in for Sakaleshpur, Mysore and Chikamagalur, give us a group discount please.

Jaggu by the way what you are hiring? NGCS 550?
Old 22nd May 2011, 00:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

I'll hire a Thar but seriously how do we go about? Interesting option, say north east fly in drive a Thar and fly out, is it a possibility?
Old 22nd May 2011, 00:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I'll hire a Thar but seriously how do we go about? Interesting option, say north east fly in drive a Thar and fly out, is it a possibility?
interesting option, and i too liked it say if the vehicle breaks down in the middle of the event, we can just simply get down and fly back and if the damage is caused due to the driver mistake, then we can pay for it, but if the vehicle breaks down due to its own fault, we don't have to pay for it.
Old 22nd May 2011, 01:13   #21
BHPian

Super initiative M&M! Now the target is to make at least one event lined up north. Where can I get more details??
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really great news for the off-roading community. I am sure this will get more people involved into the sport and no better way than M&M taking the lead in making this a broad based series of well planned events. One may have difference of opinion on the nature of trails, but few can argue about the excellent logistics & arrangements that M&M is able to pull off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Bijoykumar Y, former Editor - BSM, will be leading the Mahindra Adventure initiative.
So, the "adventure" is now the umbrella brand? And MGE is part of that brand?

So, Vinod N will be full time into THAR and not organizing MGE's? That would be sad as Vinod ensured some super trails in the MGE's that he planned.

Quote:
- Non-Mahindra vehicle owners will get a chance to participate in the Great Escapes, by hiring the Thar / Scorpio / Bolero.
Quote:
Quote:
This is great..!!! SUPER. More details on the hiring process & the fine print would help.

Look forward to participating in some of these adventure outings :-)
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:22   #23
BANNED

How much is the rental hiring for a Thar?
Can a complete newbie to offroading attempt this or is this advised only for experienced people?

--Ragul
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
but if the vehicle breaks down due to its own fault, we don't have to pay for it.
Err..Sirji, How can the vehicle break down due to its own fault? It has no brains to think on its own and act up - get the drift ?

For all you care, it may guide you in totality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
How much is the rental hiring for a Thar?
Can a complete newbie to offroading attempt this or is this advised only for experienced people?
--Ragul
I guess, we may know the details of hiring soon - Infact, I'm eager to hire one for the EXAMM 2011 as well

My dear friends BD Sir, Vinod, Spike, Nitrogary, where are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Although I agree MGE is no hard core stuff, I must also state that Indian offroading scene is still in its nascent stages.
I guess NOT!!

We've had the Xtreme Raid for many years. Currently there are competition offroad events too, this side of town.

A sore point is that vehicle manufacturers have hardly taken to the sport to promote their brand and improve their vehicles. Its SAD but TRUE!

Quote:
You missed my point, Indian off roading is at an embryonic stage compared to off roading in the west.
Not embryonic..but i get the drift!

Quote:
I still insist though, offroading is not a cheap sport. When it comes to track racing, you mostly use your family sedan. However, your Jeep or Gypsy cannot serve as the only car of the house. Therein, you've spent 2 - 7 lakhs on a special purpose vehicle. Then, there's the cost of repair after offroading.
GTO: To take a family sedan on the track serves no purpose - A Track car done up to specs with a 6 point seatbelt, Full Roll Cage, etc would be much much more expensive than the cost of repair after offroad. And the cost of repair after offroad is optional unlike the cost of preparation and running the track car, everytime!

An interesting point - This year, a MG413W and a MM540XD did Chennai - Bangalore - Avalaconda - Bangalore - Chennai - A trip of around 1000 kms and all we did spend on was fuel. No damages, no cost of repairs.

So, if one is careful, not to bugger the vehicle, one will not have any, i repeat, any damages at all.

Glad we differ to understand different POVs.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2011 at 12:38. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE function, instead of typing back-to-back posts. Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
High Points

- Bijoykumar Y, former Editor - BSM, will be leading the Mahindra Adventure initiative.

- The Great Escape is all set to double the number of events from 10 to 20 in 2011-12, and add several new locations.

- Multi-Day Great Escapes planned, such as the Monastery Escape (10 days), Royal New Year Escape (6 days) and Spice Escape (2 days).

- Non-Mahindra vehicle owners will get a chance to participate in the Great Escapes, by hiring the Thar / Scorpio / Bolero.

- To launch a TSD (time, speed, distance) rally. The ‘Monsoon Challenge 2011’ is scheduled for July 2011. A total of 1500 km will be traversed in 3 days with Rs. 10 lakh prize money.

- Mahindra Adventure will also enter official teams in the Dakshin Dare, Raid de Himalaya and Desert Storm.

NOTE : Schedule of events attached to this post.

Hey GTO thanks for initiating this. The whole idea is to equate Mahindra = Adventure! This year we are being ambitious. Under the leadership of Bijoy we are trying to do some thing different. Please note this year would be learning for us and hence except great escapes all are prototype events. Guys like you all mustr attend and help us make it even better next year. Lets hope we will do a good job. wish us all the best!!

P.s- Prize money to the winner is 5 Lakhs and runner up's get thier share too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
It's a good concept no doubt about it. My concern is that has MM done their homework right? If MGE is a benchmark, then i'm scared. They will need to get the training part right. Their existing guys (not people like vinod or BD), but the others don't know the difference between a 4x4 and their elbow.

They should take some regular off road guys to these event and make them marshals/trainers etc. Or atleast get their guys trained.

Note: M&M guys, please take this in the right spirit if you reading it. It's healthy criticism.
Tejas, we shall take care about the briefing process and make it more serious and effective. This time we have professionals to assist us and I am sure you will see the difference.

On recovery techniques front, some work needs to be done.

Quote:
Bijoy - a thorough car guy - is leading the show.
Considering that you will be renting a vehicle, and subjecting it to abuse (and potentially damage), I don't expect it to be cheap. Offroading is NOT a cheap sport if you consider the $$$ spent at the garage. And this is positioned as a lifestyle initiative, a segment that isn't necessarily price sensitive.

True GTO. We all know how much we spend on our vehicles. Specially if it a Scoprio or even a Bolero and if you use genuine replacement parts it is bloody expensive!!

Apart from an entry of Rs.3000/- what do you think should be the rent for say a Scoprio?

Consider who would drive it would be a first timer and would trash the vehicle every time.

Quote:
A smart marketing strategy from Mahindra. There is a brain who has finally worked this out, high time. Mahindra vehicle on rent, is like an extended, fun filled, paid-test drive with a carrot at the end of the event.
Try targeting the ladies, its imminent that the the guys will land up there.
Regards,
Our effort is to bring other to taste what 4x4 means and what an SUV can enable you to do. Essentially shall help converting a car guy into an SUv guy...thus increasing the size of SUV market

Quote:
P.S: Don't see Hyderabad in this year's MGE schedule

Hyderabad has been the destination for past few years. Hence thought would do justice to my home town Vizag

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
This is really great news for the off-roading community. I am sure this will get more people involved into the sport and no better way than M&M taking the lead in making this a broad based series of well planned events. One may have difference of opinion on the nature of trails, but few can argue about the excellent logistics & arrangements that M&M is able to pull off.

So, the "adventure" is now the umbrella brand? And MGE is part of that brand?

So, Vinod N will be full time into THAR and not organizing MGE's? That would be sad as Vinod ensured some super trails in the MGE's that he planned.
:-)
Thanks Khaan Saheb. I am certainly the part of 3 member core team who will be leading this initiative. This year events would be even tougher considering past MGE standards. Look forward to seeing you in Sakleshpura.

Yes Mahindra Adventure will be the umbrella brand and multiday escapes along with great escapes will be a part of it.

THAR is the face of all the adventure activities hence forth.

Quote:
My dear friends BD Sir, Vinod, Spike, Nitrogary, where are you?
teamiee iam very much here. Shall see you in a escape in TN soon
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

Apart from an entry of Rs.3000/- what do you think should be the rent for say a Scoprio?
Vinod considering that Avis charges 2000 per day for 4X4 Safari and 2500 for a Pajero/Endeavour, I think you can work out the maths. I know replacing with original parts is expensive so why not keep the something like car rental and then a rally insurance kinda thingy which the participant has to pay else all damage to the vehicle they pay out of their own pocket.

Any extra expenses can always be accorded to the marketing budget. Afterall this is a brand building exercise and not supposed to be a profit centre from the word GO! Think Long Term!
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Err..Sirji, How can the vehicle break down due to its own fault?
Vikram, say for example, what if the axle or CV joint breaks? how can driver, be a cause for such breakdowns?
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:15   #28
BHPian

I think one important point we are all overlooking is that unlike the west, we DO NOT have designated off road trails and tracks.

In my opinion and experience this will be the major limiting factor for 4x4 sports in india.

Right now we get away as it is still unregulated, but with bigger and more publicized events coming up, this is bound to be a problem if you get my drift.
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:23   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
interesting option, and i too liked it say if the vehicle breaks down in the middle of the event, we can just simply get down and fly back and if the damage is caused due to the driver mistake, then we can pay for it, but if the vehicle breaks down due to its own fault, we don't have to pay for it.
Why do you always have to think about breaking down and then repairs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

Consider who would drive it would be a first timer and would trash the vehicle every time.
Quote:
Vinod considering that Avis charges 2000 per day for 4X4 Safari and 2500 for a Pajero/Endeavour, I think you can work out the maths.!
Quote:
Vikram, say for example, what if the axle or CV joint breaks? how can driver, be a cause for such breakdowns?
5k per day + fuel by the user, for a Thar Crde is quite reasonable. Regular wear and tear has to be covered. Intentional damage/damage caused due to ignoring the marshals instruction etc should be footed by the user. Darn difficult to implement though. Let me put on my thinking hat and get back to you on this
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:23   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Vinod considering that Avis charges 2000 per day for 4X4 Safari and 2500 for a Pajero/Endeavour, I think you can work out the maths. ....
Considering that these will be M&M vehicles, I think 2K is a reasonable price for an A/C Scorpio 4x4, 1800 for A/C Bolero & 1750 for Thar. (per day rates) + fuel by user

Quote:
....5k per day + fuel by the user, for a Thar Crde is quite reasonable. Regular wear and tear has to be covered. ...
That's really steep..!!!
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks