Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 10:45   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: 4x4 Nature Riders OTR at Belthangady

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
@Tsk - The Scorpio and the Safari have the same issue with the electronic switch. Best thing to do is to do a little prayer to respective Gods before using it. 2 times out of 3 that has worked for me in my Safari. Haven't you faced it?
Nope, even done 2-3 foot water crossings on 4x4, it always engages.
Couple of people I know had an issue where the fuse went kaput, but replacing fuse fixed the problem.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:50   #17
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope, even done 2-3 foot water crossings on 4x4, it always engages.
Couple of people I know had an issue where the fuse went kaput, but replacing fuse fixed the problem.
Not that lucky myself. Last time I tried crossing a river it didn't work well but crossed it anyways. Since then it has been working fine in slush. Could never explain it. Have found someone who will try making it a stick-shift so that should solve it.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Wow.. great write up.. Sharat.. i felt as if i was sitting in the back seat Experiencing all the fun
Old 5th August 2011, 12:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant report there monsieur, made for a wonderful read. I wonder where you chaps stock up so much energy that after a long day at the OTR,all the winching and clicking, you still drove back home. Phew !!

BTW did that puny looking SWB get stuck anywhere at all ?

Quote:
Giving lifts at 1:30PM is not a good idea, so I didn’t stop.
I am sure you meant 1:30am .
Old 5th August 2011, 13:32   #20
BHPian

wow, fantastic write up Samurai.
Loved the pics, The jeep passing next to the waterfall is just too good!
The machines, The water, The dirt, The weather, The food...Bliss
Old 5th August 2011, 14:36   #21
BHPian

Amazing narration Samurai. OTR seems extreme fun!

Sad to know about the Scorpio's inability to compete in such conditions.

Please do share a bit more on the SWB mutt.
Old 5th August 2011, 14:45   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow man, super duper OTR. And the best part -- only 21 vehicles. Imagine with those itself you finished late. What would have happened if there were 50+ vehicles.

Honestly, the hills/forests of Karnataka offer some of the most diverse & beautiful terrain for offroading during the monsoons. The terrain, from pictures, looks awesome and I am sure it would have been even more fun there.

And you really couldn't miss this one -- just 100 kms trip from your place. Unfortunately the Banglore folks had to miss this one :-(
Old 5th August 2011, 15:17   #23
BHPian

Samurai-san,
Everyone of your OTR reports continue to inspire me no end!
If one day, I become a jeeper, you for sure will be one of the greatest motivators!

Awesome report. Couldn't take my eyes off till I red the word "Concluded".
Thanks. Hope to see more.
Old 5th August 2011, 16:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant OTR. I really loved the bit where the waterfall was crossed and the lunch point view!! no big animals were encountered?
Old 5th August 2011, 17:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant write up supported by speaking pictures Sharath. Every time i read and see the pics of OTRs down south im just mesmerized by the sheer beauty of the the terrain.
I loved the Waterfall part and the water crossings. How dod the MM550s do on this trail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Wow man, super duper OTR. And the best part -- only 21 vehicles. Imagine with those itself you finished late. What would have happened if there were 50+ vehicles.
Ask me. We have seen many times what happens with 50 or 60 and even70+ Vehicles. Option is not to take so many Vehicles along or dont attend OTRs with so many vehicles. The smaller the group the better.

Quote:
Honestly, the hills/forests of Karnataka offer some of the most diverse & beautiful terrain for offroading during the monsoons. The terrain, from pictures, looks awesome and I am sure it would have been even more fun there.
Amazing terrain, supported by awesome weather. So heavenly and envious.

Even i. like Tanveer have noticed that Scorpio 4X4s are quite feeble. Is there a glitch which is being revealed in the waters or slush. I guess M&M should address it asap.

Im told the Chevy Captiva is quite an offroad performer with hill descent control etc etc. Anyone who has done offroading with the Captiva?

Sharath, love the square fog lights on your front fender. Can you tell us what company and cost of the same too. Id very much like to install these on the front and even on the rear of my Jeeps.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st August 2011 at 10:46. Reason: fixed the quote tags. :-)
Old 5th August 2011, 18:14   #26
BHPian

YAAOW (Yet Another Awesome Otr Writeup)!
Thanks for taking the time to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Sharath, love the square fog lights on your front fender. Can you tell us what company and cost of the same too. Id very much like to install these on the front and even on the rear of my Jeeps.
@Gogi: been eyeing these for a while.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2032763

I think they are available in the same lane as Atlas in the light shops
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 18:26   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am wondering, why is it, that on every OTR, the scorpio 4x4 stops working? I guess it goes kaput if splashed by water?
Scorpio 4x4 has failed in every event I have attended, including MGE. So, no big surprise there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Btw, how long was the stretch from Didupe to Samse? Is it fully a forested region or do you pass through villages? Is it trekkable by any chance? I guess we need permissions to do so.
NO idea, in OTRs we have no sense of time or distance. Last 15-20kms was totally forest, until then there were villages. Yes, we had paid hefty fee for each vehicle before permissions were obtained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Not fair Sharath, You write so much about the "Strange Rover" and keep talking about it but not a single picture from the front to back up your claim.

Am sure many of us would be rather intrigued about the "strange" front.
It has huge carrier on the hood, covering the entire hood. Yes, I confess I somehow missed shooting it since it was always ahead of me. When you are a driver in an OTR, it is hard to play serious photographer at the same time. I did miss lot of photo moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Brilliant report there monsieur, made for a wonderful read. I wonder where you chaps stock up so much energy that after a long day at the OTR,all the winching and clicking, you still drove back home. Phew !!

BTW did that puny looking SWB get stuck anywhere at all ?

I am sure you meant 1:30am .
Sorry, fixed the time. The energy comes from soaking in the pristine environment whole day. It acts like adrenalin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
wow, fantastic write up Samurai.
Loved the pics, The jeep passing next to the waterfall is just too good!
The machines, The water, The dirt, The weather, The food...Bliss
Thanks, you forgot leeches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
Please do share a bit more on the SWB mutt.
It belongs to a mechanic in Samse. Don't know any technical details since he was not sharing much details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
And you really couldn't miss this one -- just 100 kms trip from your place. Unfortunately the Banglore folks had to miss this one :-(
Would you miss the next one? They have plans for more before the monsoon ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
If one day, I become a jeeper, you for sure will be one of the greatest motivators!
Thanks, now don't call me a Jeep evangelist, ha, ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Brilliant OTR. I really loved the bit where the waterfall was crossed and the lunch point view!! no big animals were encountered?
No, animals generally keep a long distance from human trails.

Quote:
I loved the Waterfall part and the water crossings. How dod the MM550s do on this trail?
MM550? Hmm, they did well I guess, why do you single out MM550?

Quote:
Looks like you didn't read the last part of my report, I drove through blinding fog in the night. There are JCB lights, but extremely good as fog lights, that usage was discovered last year. They cost around 400 bucks each.

See this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2032763

Also see some of the followup posts in the next page there.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 18:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Soumya and Sharath. The link you guys posted is very useful indeed. (Please note i have thanked you using the Thanks Button)

I have a pair of unused Neolite Fogs which i had bought for the CJ but never ended up fixing. These Neolite 714s are ideal. Ideal as using four at least for the front and a couple as reverse lights. Add to that the JCB lights with indicators (JCB headlights) as seen on Fazalbhai's Jeep ( i think even he has these Neolites) its going to be Diwali in front of my Jeeps. And at a fantastic price. Apparently, those JCB headlights can be used as fogs with a low and high beam option. Opera House, here i come (in a few days).
Might just try the Hilux ones too, two for the price of one almost!!

Last edited by V-16 : 5th August 2011 at 18:50.
Old 5th August 2011, 22:35   #29
BANNED

hi soumya, sharath , samurai, this post is an adrelanine rush stuff , i am too excited reading i can well imagine what fun u must have had there, i wish i was in your part of country, i am longing to join a team as urs up north here,can some one suggest mea good club or contact of some one near chandigarh,
superb effort guys\
Old 10th August 2011, 10:57   #30
BHPian

An amazing adventure on the wheels. Very excited reading the report and seeing the photos. Now, I feel like buying a 4x4 . Kudos to all the participants and for sharing your experiences.

Most Viewed