Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 17:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Track Day With The BAAPs

Well written Soumya. Good you came without your Jeep or there was no one to take the pics.

The Gypsies had a good time going round and round the track. Thanks to Imran for the detour and going thru the slush pit, which was 12" to 20" deep. Paras had to go 18" down to fetch his shoe.

The last Jeep to go thru this was Amol with Tejas's jeep and he just flew over the slush with one major bump, but was cake walk for that monster.

Had a great time with friends from Mumbai after a long time. Looking forward to many more OTR's .

Cheers!!
Old 7th September 2011, 21:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
To make way for the mudslinger
and his 1 liter LPG powered gypsy...
As Mudslinger achieved feats with his gypsy that Papa would not want to do with the 550

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4669.jpg

Name:  IMG_4670.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  96.5 KB

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4671.jpg

Followed by Imran S

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4621.jpg

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4622.jpg

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4624.jpg

And Ibrahim

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4632.jpg

The Papa brigade needed to make its position clear
And out came Pradeep Nair, the genial owner of Automissions

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4640.jpg

Bolting Like a bat out of hell

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4655.jpg

And showing that skills

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4642.jpg

only get better with age

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4648.jpg

This was followed by some mating dances on the track

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4661.jpg

Which went on for a while

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4614.jpg

By then it was time for me to head back to Mumbai, which I did after bidding adieu to my dear BAAPs

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4533.jpg

for making a great day awesome

Track Day With The BAAPs-img_4553.jpg

and proving that...offroading is all about camraderie and spirit and the enormous fun we have when we keep our friendships bigger than our tyres and our egos are smaller than our engines...

---fin---
genesis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 21:50   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis
and proving that...offroading is all about camraderie and spirit and the enormous fun we have when we keep our friendships bigger than our tyres and our egos are smaller than our engines...
---fin---
You said it boss. That is the essence of this wonderful sport. Makes things slow down and provide for that time & space to have fun and camaraderie all around. And with friends, it just becomes super special -- something like they say, money can't buy.

Rest all things like engines, vehicles, tyres etc are just incidental & peripheral things which let us have fun to pull each other legs :-)
Old 7th September 2011, 22:00   #34

Masquerading as Gogi! Is that even possible?

And since I am in the asking mode and you guys will help me, also looking for Spark Plug Cable Set. I made mine with my own two hands & have made a mess of it... Any chance of getting originals?

A Mahindra dealer since donkeys years at Shivaji Nagar, Pune shut shop some months back. I used to hound him for spares & he would always tell that they are available & that he shall have to search for it & that he is busy at the moment & that I should try again later. The agony of building a Jeep!!!
Old 8th September 2011, 03:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Great Fun you all had! Nice to see that all participants enjoyed.
Firstly, we missed you Scooby boss. Pradeep said you would be coming but we waited and waited for you to turn up. Your cell was also out of reach.

Quote:
But, How come no one has really talked about the place and the preparations and efforts put in by Pradeep?

Sir how can you even think that we have left Pradeep out of this. Read below my earlier post quoted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
All in all it was a slush fest. There was no other terrian but slush and that was very very challenging. In the summer, it would just be a dirt track which would not be very challengin for an offroader but rains dramatically change the equation. I loved it though im a bit weary of getting into this deep slush but who had a choice.

We reached on time, finished on time and had a good meal of barbeque and other stuff. Very well organized by Pradeep. Thank you for having us over.

My highlight was to see old friends and some serious offroaders come together as one and to get to see the camaraderie once again was simply the icing on the cake......the mud cake (pun intended)

I would like to do this more often, with the same group, in the same spirit. All of us offroading, helping stuck people get out laughing, sitting, eating together. Hopefully this is just the beginnig of this age old camaraderie which has otherwise become so scarce.

Quote:
This place used to be a brick kiln, which uses clay which is very chikni, besides there is a portion which still grows rice in the season, and thats the area youll found to be like 'quick sand'.
I find a Great Potential for the place, and the determination Pradeep has, just that he is working within limited resources and so everything seems to be getting delayed. Imagine the oval and one parrallel stretch being a tarmac with slaloms and all and the rest being a dirt track.
Aha! the mystery is solved. I was wondering what kind of soil this thick pasty clay like stuff was. Now i know. No wonder it was like visiting a mud spa. Thankfully it was not filthy as even after the full cake of mud on out legs and what not, after a wash, i felt no itch or skin trouble.
Another highlight was the Amazon like river running at the place we got stuck. It looked a place out of an old bollywood/hollywood film. Anaconda-10 or Rambo-342 could be shot here.
Old 8th September 2011, 07:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Out rightly hilarious!
A passionate, romantic thriller to the end.
A must read. Bound to sell over a million copies.
Soumya at his debuting best.

________New York Post
Old 8th September 2011, 07:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
There were two layers of this soil Fazal bhai, the top was deceiving and the lower was quick sand. It looked like wet hard packed sand and one foot in it got you instantly down to knee deep clay like slush. Not ordinary mud but real sticky clay like. It was almost impossible walking through, leave alone driving through it. Crazy stuff but great fun and a definite nightmare if one was alone or even with one or two vehicles. Gotta be careful and walk the slush before hand like we do when tackling a tough obstacle.
Gogi Bhai,

What a sinking feeling the second one has, sucks you in.
Wanted to share this U tube Croatian slush fest, from FB.

Regrads,
fazalaliadil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 09:54   #38
BHPian

Great Narration, Shoumo da, would love to see more of the "Cavity". When is the grand unveiling ceremony?

Andy
Old 8th September 2011, 11:49   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Great narration Sowmya. Didn't wanna comment earlier and break your continuity.

It was a good otr after a long long log while. Met up with old and new friends and best of all finally drove my own jeep after nearly a year (yeah, the classic was sold a year ago :( )

Very happy with the outcome. Still lots of work to be done though.

Coming back to the track day. It all started with a call from pradip saying that "dude! it's raining like crazy and you guys need to come here for a great track day. just come here and i'll organize food and stuff."

A few calls and everyone was on board and the numbers grew from there.

Hadn't met up with a lot of non bombay offroaders since a long time. Even during examm, we hardly interacted due to all the work. So this time it was great to catch up with the alibag gang of mohan and pune boys: kishore, nishant, kunal, ibu, shubhendra, james and amit. it was nice to see new faces: rohit and all.

OTR was short and sweet as outlined by the rest of the people.

The people, the camaraderie, the cars, the constantly changing weather, the challenging terrain, the gentle ribbing if cars' did not make it through and the not so gentle ribbing if i didn't make it through :P and the super barbecue lunch was what made my day!

That "amazon" river should be crossable after a few months and we should attempt it then (after one "volunteer" walks it through).

Once my jeep is ready i'm gonna go and attend all OTRs. Although my jeep rebuild has bigger tyres & massive ground clearance with SPOAs & what not but i know what i am doing and i go into details and gather knowledge and am not worried to get my hands dirty. I am no jeep whisperer but i will be able to help myself if the vehicle breaks down. So Fazalji, arka, sharath, khan, jaggu, NIOC boys, etc plan something in nov, dec. By then the jeep should be fully tested and worked in. I wish that all the non OTR attending commentators on FB and like get their 4x4s out for a change and join in in the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Great Narration, Shoumo da, would love to see more of the "Cavity". When is the grand unveiling ceremony?

Andy
Hopefully a month or so.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 8th September 2011 at 11:59.
Old 8th September 2011, 12:05   #40
BHPian

Regrets, regrets, regrets, sorry to miss this Track Day as my both the gypsies needed some repair so I spent that sunday at workshop.

Guys we need to do this again @ same place, pls plan something.

I really enjoyed the narration & pics but not feeling good for not being the part of star cast.

Cheers!

Alok
Old 8th September 2011, 12:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post

---fin---
Perfect way to end it Sowmya!! Sorry buddy but I couldn't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerranch View Post

Had a great time with friends from Mumbai after a long time. Looking forward to many more OTR's .

Cheers!!
You bet Chief. Looking forward to the next one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
G
That "amazon" river should be crossable after a few months and we should attempt it then (after one "volunteer" walks it through).

Once my jeep is ready i'm gonna go and attend all OTRs. Although my jeep rebuild has bigger tyres & massive ground clearance with SPOAs & what not but i know what i am doing and i go into details and gather knowledge and am not worried to get my hands dirty. I am no jeep whisperer but i will be able to help myself if the vehicle breaks down. So Fazalji, arka, sharath, khan, jaggu, NIOC boys, etc plan something in nov, dec. By then the jeep should be fully tested and worked in. I wish that all the non OTR attending commentators on FB and like get their 4x4s out for a change and join in in the fun.
One definitely needed all that and more to go through the slush.. It couldn't have been possible otherwise. Skill is needed no doubt, but at times all the skill in the world is rendered useless if you don't have the tools to support it, this was one such example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Regrets, regrets, regrets, sorry to miss this Track Day as my both the gypsies needed some repair so I spent that sunday at workshop.
We missed you buddy..
Old 8th September 2011, 12:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerranch View Post
W
The Gypsies had a good time going round and round the track. Thanks to Imran for the detour and going thru the slush pit, which was 12" to 20" deep. Paras had to go 18" down to fetch his shoe.
Not offroading on a SHOE String budget . Must have been a very expensive shoe since Paras spent a good 10 minutes in trying to pull his show out..

One of those lighter moments when camaraderie must take a back seat just for a few good laughs
Attached Thumbnails
Track Day With The BAAPs-img2011090400530.jpg  

Old 8th September 2011, 13:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post

One of those lighter moments when camaraderie must take a back seat just for a few good laughs
Prasad,

Envy you guys living close to one of the best off roading terrain (western ghats) in the world.
Regards,

Track Day With The BAAPs-img2011090400530.jpg
Old 8th September 2011, 13:14   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Prasad,

Envy you guys living close to one of the best off roading terrain (western ghats) in the world.
Regards,

Attachment 606418
Hahahaha! Funny thing is paras is pure veg!
Old 8th September 2011, 13:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Hahahaha! Funny thing is paras is pure veg!
That was until he got the taste for crab meat.

Most Viewed