Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 22:02   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011

Have fun guys (offroad and also in the camp) , not able to make it due to exigencies. Will try and join at-least once for Palar before I leave.

Spike
Old 8th November 2011, 10:00   #137
Senior - BHPian

Write-Up & Pics

Vishnu & Amrth,

Please give the write-up and pics/videos of the weekend OTRs.

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th November 2011, 10:09   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c
Vishnu & Amrth,

Please give the write-up and pics/videos of the weekend OTRs.

Regards,

Arka
I have only a few pics of my car and 3 videos. Didn't take too many this weekend but will do a write up of whatever I can remember / whatever I observed.

Didn't Sathya and Narmada take pictures?

I could be the official video person next time if you wish since I'm usually not doing much anyway.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 8th November 2011 at 10:11.
Old 8th November 2011, 10:46   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
I have only a few pics of my car and 3 videos. Didn't take too many this weekend but will do a write up of whatever I can remember / whatever I observed.

Didn't Sathya and Narmada take pictures?

I could be the official video person next time if you wish since I'm usually not doing much anyway.
Hi Vishnu,

Please give a write up.

I will be collecting the Pics and Videos from Satya & Balaji.

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th November 2011, 12:42   #140
BHPian

Write up.. That to me ArkA... Had I known to replicate an event into words I would have been a screen play writer for TOPGEAR

Anyways since I know some tidbits of English let me put this up, but very sorry folks I have no videos nor pics to articulate.

Team 1:- Arka, Vishnu, Sid, Ganesh, Vijay, Satya & Narmada, Sanjay....
Team 1.1:- Major Roy, Abinandhan, Ali & their friends
Team 1.2:- Vikram, Dr Jones , Lokesh

All these members of the teams are a league of Differential Gentlemen, BTW A lady too...

Day started off with me ringing up Arka to see if the plan was on, much to the delight the plan was very much in place and I was supposed to meet them up in their usual adda for a quick lunch. As planned we met up at the designated place and got to meet Team 1. After a quick round of intro, I felt like I know these guys for years!!! thats the way these DG's are. Amazingly down to the road, not even a slight high lift in their air...

So we started off towards the first OTR spot, where we did few obstacles, nice and neat. Since I was pretty much getting used to the dry sand OTRS, I was amazed to see how these DG's had carved technical obstacles out in the nowhere. They know all the combinations of approach and exits towards these obstacles in and out. The best part is try talking to Arka when someone is in mid of an obstacle, he'd still listen and answer to your questions on the other hand also shout the instructions to the driver. Multi-tasking or Spotting...

Vijay and Arka were generous enough to offer me a drive in their machines to try on the obstacles. Oh BTW how can I forget Vishnu, the benchmark setter for softroader machine, which he didn’t mind putting to any task. Day ended with a great delight, and then we moved on to Adventure Zone for the night camp.

Night Camp was the meeting point for T1 & T1.1 . We all reached there by 7.30 in the evening. Boy oh Boy!!! what a camp, nice place to really have a day off with these crazy DG's. One heck of a night we had with delicious food and about 7 gallons of the third most popular drink overall in the world, after water and tea We also had water and tea. To be very frank we never talked about jeeps/gears/differential/axels/TPC also not all about missing one person in the group, which was Vikram. We only discussed about how great the weather was, how to should fight against corruption, who should be the next PM Etc...Etc... So whatever we discussed was highly confidential so.. let say!! we called it the day at 3.30 am, went back to the shack and woke Satya up (poor guy had just left us 20 mins ago, to catch some sleep) and then we slept by 4.30.

Just to highlight the etiquette of the staffs of adventure zone, we were woken up at exactly 6.30 for bed tea!!! I really felt like getting up and trashing the poor fellow, but that was just a feeling, no offense thou.. Next person to wake us up after an hour or, so was the Highly Missed Vikram, another DG. So we scrambled all the way out to the loo's and were back in the machines by an hour with a good breakfast, we set off towards the Palar river bed. One the way we were mislead by a manual GPS system and the somehow Dr Jones rescued us from the lost path...

So after a long flight in the endeavor me and Vishnu reached Palar river bed, by then Vishnu's enthusiasm to have fun with his endy on the slush of palar died down. Somehow after a while he was back on the track trying out few high climbs and mostly towing out few breached zippers of the sands...By mid noon we had a vehicle breakdown which took the whole team with most of the efforts from Arka, Major Roy, Ali and Vishnu (the holy, who got us food) going till 7.30 in the evening to get the jeep up and running.

As for me, special thanks to the whole team for putting up with me..and Vishnu for dropping me back in one piece... Terra Tigers do roar aloud!!!

Last edited by Twinn : 8th November 2011 at 12:47.
Twinn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 15:26   #141
BHPian

Thank you Amrit for the writeup! I have a lot of work pending that was to be done over the weekend that I am doing only now. WOuld not have been able to do it until tomorrow. Was very entertaining to read

Had a fun 2 days with everyone! I didnt take too many pictures or capture many videos this time out for various reasons but I am uploading what I have anyway. My Endy did just a few obstacles this time. Just 1 and a half at kelambakkam and palar was just a mess. Even thinking about it makes me tired. Long story about day 2. Anyway, my Endy was struggling with the climbs at Palar. Was just too heavy I think. I'd get to the top and as soon as my front wheels were over I would start digging in. Could have used more momentum I suppose but I was scared of hurting the front suspension or bumper. Also didnt try a few obstacles in fear that I would get stuck. I will get braver over time though.

On the first day it rained a little and resulted in this amazing rainbow. Coincidentally my car was parked right under it so just couldnt resist taking a couple pics.

The last pic turned out really funny as it was taken from a weird angle or circumstance that made me look about 8 feet tall and my Endy like a hatchback.

Here are some videos and Pictures from my end: (they might still be getting processed by youtube so give it some time if it still is)

Attached Images

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 8th November 2011 at 15:33.
Endeavour333 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 18:07   #142
Senior - BHPian

Like the rainbow of offroading lazing over. awaiting the pictures
Old 8th November 2011, 18:16   #143
Senior - BHPian

Endy333 - sorry to sound rude - but is the last pic a PS job/lens effect, or are you taller than a endy?!! Heard from Deep you didnt fit inside a Gypsy, I think I can see why...

PS - endy looking cool!!
Old 8th November 2011, 18:50   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Endy333 - sorry to sound rude - but is the last pic a PS job/lens effect, or are you taller than a endy?!! Heard from Deep you didnt fit inside a Gypsy, I think I can see why...

PS - endy looking cool!!
lol not a PS job. I'm 6'8" this pic makes me look even taller somehow though. Showed it to everyone there after I saw it and they all had a good laugh.
Old 21st November 2011, 08:25   #145
BHPian

chennai offroaders / Arka and co
i've got some good news for you guys. There's one superbly maintained ( exterior, interiors and tyres are in immaculate cond. no idea about the engine/GB/TC's condition. got to do a TD to confirm the same ) army mm 550 parked in a mechanic shed in saidapet. the vehicle has been registered as tn 04 A xxxx. Had it not been for my recent buy, an i20, i would have pounced on this army beauty. I though that i would share this with you guys so that the jeep atleast falls in the right hands.
Interested offroaders can contact me for directions to this super beauty's meachanic shed.
even if you don't have an idea of buying her, just have a look.
she is bea-u-ti-ful !
cheers
WC
Old 21st November 2011, 09:06   #146
Senior - BHPian

^^:
Please post pics or the persons contact number here.
Old 21st November 2011, 09:39   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
The last pic turned out really funny as it was taken from a weird angle or circumstance that made me look about 8 feet tall and my Endy like a hatchback.
You should stand next to Arka next time, that will give us a comparo. But you are one TAAALLLL dude.
Old 21st November 2011, 09:42   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You should stand next to Arka next time, that will give us a comparo. But you are one TAAALLLL dude.

John, Arka is "small" besides VISHNU

Infact, the preferred guy to walk a water trail henceforth is Vishnu.
Old 21st November 2011, 09:51   #149
BHPian

headers
i'm really sorry. i don't have that guy's contact details. Anyway, i know that his name is Murugesan.
Attaching the route map to the shed.
good luck

and also, it would be written " jeep sales " on both the sides and the rear of the soft top.

- WC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mm 550 location.pdf (217.1 KB, 337 views)
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 17:33   #150
Senior - BHPian

Kelambakkam Part#1

Hi Guys,

First Lot of pics from 05-11-2011; courtesy Satyaveer.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011-dsc_0244.jpg  

Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011-dsc_0248.jpg  

Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011-dsc_0249.jpg  

Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011-dsc_0252.jpg  

Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011-dsc_0255.jpg  

Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011-dsc_0256.jpg  

Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011-dsc_0259.jpg  

Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011-dsc_0264.jpg  

Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011-dsc_0265.jpg