Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:59   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Off-Road in Chennai-- Thunder Down Under 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Shuben sir - I am there..Please come, shall I consider you as my passenger?
Amrth Sir,
I am in. will cal you in eve.
Sorry everyone for this OT conversation.
Over & out.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 19:26   #167
BHPian

Is the weekend OTR still on? Can the meeting time and place be confirmed please?

I am confirming my participation on both days.
Old 8th December 2011, 08:38   #168
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is ON:

Meeting point is Tidel Park @ 12:00 noon this Saturday

welcome to another great weekend!!
Old 10th December 2011, 08:04   #169
BHPian

Won't be able to make it today sorry. Still in Bangalore. Planned to leave really early to make it in time but decided not to in the last minute. Breakfast at McDonald's and lunch at papa John's. Jam packed day
Old 10th December 2011, 09:11   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Won't be able to make it today sorry. Still in Bangalore. Planned to leave really early to make it in time but decided not to in the last minute. Breakfast at McDonald's and lunch at papa John's. Jam packed day
You could meet us at AZ if you want to. We will be there 7pm onwards.

BTW, Bangalore to Chennai is 3 hours right?

Cheers
Old 10th December 2011, 23:27   #171
Senior - BHPian

Good to see some hulchul in chennai off road scene. Looking forward to your latest excursion
vinod_nookala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 23:38   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
BTW, Bangalore to Chennai is 3 hours right?

Cheers
Yeah, right, with a tractor AWD.
Old 12th December 2011, 10:37   #173
BHPian

Had a GREAT OTR on sunday where we did relatively tame obstacles for Jeeps and Gypsies but they were pretty intimidating to me. I didnt think my Endy would complete many of them but it completely surprised me and did even the toughest obstacles! I definitely think that my removing of the rear ssway bar aided rear traction due to articulation tremendouslly! It did have some other effects though: due to the higher than usual articulation now possible, the U joint in the driveshaft / propshaft was scraping the fuel tank skid plate quite badly when the right rear suspension was compressed more than previously possible. The sound of it scraping was just awful, especially for me. You'll hear it loud and clear in the following videos.

I had been in Bangalore the previous day so could not join the group on the 10th but made it out on the 11th. I called Vikram (Headers) early in the morning to ask him what the plan was for today and when they were going to leave for the days OTR. The plan initially was to do Palar but he said that we might do something else instead. Since the Endy struggled in Palar the last time, I knew I wasnt going to get to do many obstacles there so some other OTR spot sounded really exciting! I drove to AZ as fast as I could hoping they weren't going to leave without me but when I finally got there I see Vikram first, who tells me that we might not even go offroad today because everyone is tired after staying up until 5 and 6 AM the previous night! To add to my disappointment, half the team was still asleep, including the "Dinosaur" AKA Arka.

Waking him up had apparently been quite the Challenge but nevertheless I went to the tent to try to get him to make the OTR happen. Thankfully, He was already awake when I got there and just laying in bed. The OTR was ON! I went back to where Vikram was with a valiant smile on my face and told him the good news. After about half an hour, once all were washed, fed, and ready, we headed out to a spot just 2 minutes from AZ.

The first obstacle was a test of ADR angles (for me atleast). The entry was a small sharp hill, followed by a gully crossing where we had to go down and a sharp climb back up that tested approach angles. When I was in the car it loterally looked like I was driving into a wall. My front bumper scraped here. There is no video of us going through it the first time but there is of us coming back out of it which I have not yet uploaded. Will upload soon.

Second was another ditch sort of obstacle, easier than the first. I crossed with no problems. This was more part of the trail that it was an obstacle really.

Third was where the real fun was at. A lake bund with steep climbs, several crevices and channels that tires could get lost in. We went all the way over, down the other side and back up and down again from the other side. 2 climbs, 2 descents. Lickily my ramp angle was sufficient for this obstacle. Although it did scrape a little bit, I didn't get beached on top. First time through we took the easy way up and over and the Hard way back. The hard way had a huge crevice that when front right wheels fell in, the left rear would lift atleast 3 feet in the air! Happened to me. So first time through was pretty easy for everyone even though a few wheel went pretty high into the air. Arka was giving Vikram a hard time the whole day about too much wheelspin, making Vikram repeat obstacles if he had not done it to his satisfaction.

The second time around, Arka said we are going to go up on the hard slope, the part of the slope that had the deep crevice! It looked impossible and I was even more doubtful when even gypsies with mud terrain tires had to try 4 or 5 times to get up! After much contemplation and questioning about the right line to take, I finally gave it a shot. To my amazement, the Endy went up in the first attempt! I think the others were shocked too. On the way down I ended up lifting a wheel a few feet off the ground as well. The real drama was on the way back down the hard slope. I dropped my right front straight into the crevice and my car tipped to the right quite dangerously! I also apparently lifted my left rear about 5 feet in the air! I would love to have seen that but sadly that part is not seen clearly in the video. You can see me holding onto the side of the car though as I soil myself and think of the possible repair bill.

My run:

Vijay Lifting a wheel as well:

This was duly followed by Major Roy doing the obstacle in 2 wheel drive on bald tires. Showoff

Next was a V-rut obstacle with a tough exit point, especially for open diff vehicles.

Vikram's gypsy with lockers breezing through it:

Sathya in Arka's Jeep in a tough spot on the Exit:

Video of my Endy doing it is there as well but it has not been uploaded yet. Will post when uploaded.

Vijay displaying some textbook technique: (just uploaded, might have to wait a while to be able to watch it)

That was the last obstacle, so we just drove back through the trail doing "obstacles" 1 and 2 again as it was a part of the trail.

Video of all of us exiting the trail at the last obstacle is there but not uploaded yet. Will post when uploaded.

I had a great time and was immensely surprised with the abilities of my Endeavour I was so charged up after the OTR that I was literally trembling from the adrenaline (especially after a near toppling situation). It took atleast an hour to bring myself back down to normal after this OTR. Fantastic experience.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 12th December 2011 at 10:56.
Endeavour333 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 12:22   #174
BHPian

Me doing the V-rut obstacle:

The whole crew exiting the OTR trail:
Endeavour333 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 13:05   #175
BHPian

Place looks nice hope you guys had a good time.

Endeavour333 thanks for the video
Old 12th December 2011, 13:46   #176
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Had a blast - Keep it up.

Next OTR is on Mid January 2012. Those who failed to make it this time, please try and join for the next one.

The day 1 was at the Kelambakkam quarry which had gypsy HL sill deep water at certain places. It was fun..

Arka made quite a few of us wet by his deeds though his intentions were different.

Vijay had a wonderful time and was the real envy of all around !!

Neoranjit did his first proper OTR in his newly prepared MG410W and he had a BIG SMILE on his face.
headers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 06:06   #177
BHPian

big smile indeed and thanks a ton to arka for making that happen
neoranjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 13:03   #178
Senior - BHPian

guys not fair for office goers... where are pics!! utube is blocked... (but saw @ home today morning) --- get some story going guys... place looked eerie compared to palar/kelambakkam... where is it?
Old 13th December 2011, 19:55   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
guys not fair for office goers... where are pics!! utube is blocked... (but saw @ home today morning) --- get some story going guys... place looked eerie compared to palar/kelambakkam... where is it?
Quote:

Waking him up had apparently been quite the Challenge but nevertheless I went to the tent to try to get him to make the OTR happen. Thankfully, He was already awake when I got there and just laying in bed. The OTR was ON! I went back to where Vikram was with a valiant smile on my face and told him the good news. After about half an hour, once all were washed, fed, and ready, we headed out to a spot just 2 minutes from AZ.
AZ is a place called Adventure Zone, in Chennai, where the guys usually spend the night. Also, Satya and Narmada have the pics from the day. Narmada said that she would get Satya to upload them soon

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 13th December 2011 at 19:56.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:28   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To add to my disappointment, half the team was still asleep, including the "Dinosaur" AKA Arka.
Arka, a T-Rex ?, then you are the Brachiosaurus. Great to see you participating and enjoying in your Ford.
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks