Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 19:33   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th

By some divine chance if I could make it, I would need two things:

The timelines for the OTR (start, assembly at Lonavla, departure for Rajmachi, lunch, return to Lonavla)
Ride in one of the mean machines from and to Lonavla (probably for two)
Old 27th February 2012, 12:29   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Although you are entitled to your opinion, you have to understand that 2 minds don't think alike. Also in this case most of the novice guys want to try their hand at something challenging. As you have mentioned 'you do not go there with the intention of scratching the car'. Like wise most guys just want to avoid scratches as far as possible, everyone going there knows that if its unavoidable, it will happen. So keep the spirit in mind and keep your words encouraging. We don't need a critique here and its not about guts and glory its about having a good time.
Off Roadie i perfectly understand that two minds are not the same. The point here is people have assumed off roading is all about breaking, scratching a car. I am not saying you go and conquer mount everest in your first attempt, all i am saying is dont assume things seeing the 4x4 events and what regulars do. I dont see an "avoid" in any of the posts, all i see is i dont want scratches. If you think i am critique then so be it and i never said its about guts and glory. Guts is what everyone here have by thinking about soft roading and as far as the glory goes..its for the wannabe's. The good time will come when the fear is out of the mind, till then the mind will not be relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Actually, you got that spot on. I do use my Endy on the street, and love the looks it gets.. especially when you tell someone admiring the shiny black beast that it's almost 2 years old. Pushing it to the limits on the expressway, climbing stairs at Zoo Zoo hill, splashing through the water at Dapoli, and jumping off the massive speed breakers on Baner Road are also activities she generally indulges in. Some of them corrode her from inside, some of them hurt her shocks, but that's all part of the game, isn't it? Actually, she does pick up some scratches even when simply parked on the street.
Thats everyday driving for you...

Quote:
However, getting a whole rash of scratches on the body simply because you felt like pushing through thick brush, to me, seems a lot of pain for no gain
Its not about pushing through thick bushes..no one likes doing that. I was talking of the normal path with overhanging branches and some tight spots where bushes are too close. What do you then, stop the car and try and back up. I agree with you about lot of pain and no gain..but there are times without pain there is no gain.

Quote:
So, yes, to some it might be boring... but I guess there are enough like-minded folks who take pleasure in the simpler things
Its not boring at all..but the attitude and the air on this thread is not exactly one of confidance, it has fear. I did'nt learn and start enjoying Off roading from when i was born..but had the confidance and lack of fear even on my first offroading experience. Simple is good but when done with fear can spoil things too.

Guys dont get me wrong but its concern that i have for everyone here. I treat all the folks here as part of an extended family and if i do come across wrongly then my apologies for the same. I am only saying what i would to even my own brother, if he wants to experience off roading.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:35   #123
Senior - BHPian

Good luck for Rajamachi. I guess will be dry and much easier than Monsoon. May be you can use this opportunity to do some recces for monsoon season opening.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:42   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
I guess we will be starting early from Mumbai and Pune (6/7 am) hence I would suggest following.
1. Mumbai and Pune team meet at Ramakrishna hotel in Lonavala town (around 9 am). Have break fast at the hotel and then move together to Rajmachi from there
2. Whatever food stuff people bring along with them can be had at a mid way point towards Rajmachi. We will mostly reach Rajmachi in couple of hours including break?
3. Lunch is available from the locals after reaching the vilage at Rajmachi base
4. At 3/4 pm start back the return journey.
I agree, Pawana was a different case, given the fact that there was no place for breakfast. Besides that, I love the breakfast at RK's, and the pithala bhakri you get in Rajmachi village.

Ideal plan should be :

1. Start from Pune at around 8am
2. Park and Breakfast at RK's 9am
3. Leave for Rajmachi at 10am
4. Offroading, breaks, softroading, breaks and photu sessions
5. Look for place to settle and have lunch at 12pm
6. Journey back to Lonavala at 1pm
7. Reassemble at Lonavala at 2.30pm
8. Leave for pune at 3pm
Old 28th February 2012, 13:18   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Guys dont get me wrong but its concern that i have for everyone here. I treat all the folks here as part of an extended family and if i do come across wrongly then my apologies for the same. I am only saying what i would to even my own brother, if he wants to experience off roading.
See your tone in this post is a lot more supportive/conducive, in the previous one you came across as being a little cocky, hence the replies from Siddesh and Me.
FYI this is the first thing Snow (my scorp's nick name) conquered.

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-tn_026-marismek-pangong-29c.jpg

All she had was 2 senior citizens and me for company.

AT Throttle King
Plan sounds good, I am just hoping and praying that I can make it.

Last edited by Off Roadie : 28th February 2012 at 13:20.
Off Roadie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 14:21   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I agree, Pawana was a different case, given the fact that there was no place for breakfast. Besides that, I love the breakfast at RK's, and the pithala bhakri you get in Rajmachi village.

Ideal plan should be :

1. Start from Pune at around 8am
Guys please consider that there are few bikers from Pune including me who will have to take the old Pune Mumbai road hence may require additional time compared to cars using expressway. So bikers may require some lead time.
Old 28th February 2012, 14:23   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Guys please consider that there are few bikers from Pune including me who will have to take the old Pune Mumbai road hence may require additional time compared to cars using expressway. So bikers may require some lead time.
I think we will all take the old highway, what say guys?
Old 28th February 2012, 14:41   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
See your tone in this post is a lot more supportive/conducive, in the previous one you came across as being a little cocky, hence the replies from Siddesh and Me.
FYI this is the first thing Snow (my scorp's nick name) conquered.
My apologies for sounding cocky, but it was concern that maybe came out wrongly.

I hope you agree that pictures make things look far easier than they actually are and in practicality you need to have a clear focused mind that concentrates on the path and not other things. It maybe a way i see it too and thats what i was trying to convey. Soft roading does include light obstacles, climbs and decents, which do require focus from a person doing it for the first time. I am sure with experienced folks guiding everyone will have fun.

Here is my Fortuner and Thar on their maiden OTR trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-allan-again.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by speedy : 28th February 2012 at 14:44.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 00:45   #129
BHPian

Speedy, offroadie, those are awesome pics... Would love to post some of Samara's baby steps too here, but let's keep this about Rajmachi for now... for those really interested in some of the stuff she's been up to, do visit my Ownership thread.

As an amateur, here are some learnings from mistakes committed (and thankfully, recovered from):
1) Wading into a lake is fun - but make sure you never slow down and let the water get into your exhaust pipe. Dapoli was scary - when the lake turned out much deeper than we expected.
2) Climbing stairs is fun - but remmeber, most stairs are NOT built to carry a SUV, only tiny human beings. Caving in is a huge posssibility.
3) Wading into slush or swampy mud with a SUV full of screaming kids is fun, as long as you are sure your 4L can pull you out - OR you have a earthmover on stand by. Once stuck, pressing the pedal to the floor will only compound the problem, take it real slow and easy, letting the tires gently roll you out.
4) Going up the hill is easy, getting down is easy - the worst part is reaching the top and knowing you have no way of turning around without exposing the SUV to a very real possibility of turning over sideways and hurtling down the hill to the cemetary ominously staring at you from the bottom of the hill... as we figured out on the South slope of Vagator hill.
5) And finally, after all that fun, there's no time to relax and ponder - because washing your baby down to her squeaky clean avataar is a lot of hard work.

Look forward to getting some useful tips and learning some techniques from the experienced folks... something I have sorely missed on my solo adventures.

I have never been to Rajmachi myself, but I have heard a lot. With all those SUVs lining up, we should get some amazing pictures. Samara is a sucker for pics. Samara loves splashing water, and jumping... so if there's undulating terrain with gentle humps, I am sure she'll love to get her 4 feet up the ground... Baner road is fun, but too obvious if you set up cameras for pics If there's any chance of small springs or lakes, that sounds fab too. And once we reach Rajmachi, who knows, maybe she'll be in the mood to brush aside the undergrowth and clear the path for the other babies behind?

Made some very good friends in my first TBHP meet (Pavana), and I look forward to meeting them, and more, soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I think we will all take the old highway, what say guys?
I agree. It's a lot more fun than the expressway.

Last edited by siddheshb : 29th February 2012 at 00:50.
siddheshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 14:52   #130
BHPian

Siddhesh, kudos!!!!! I give you a score of 150% on the "taking initiative" parameter

Sad that I couldn't join. I and Endeavour333 would have been there if we were in the whereabouts, giving Samara company.

And man, what a group that has already formed!!!

I just can't wait for the pics and especially the Endy vs Fortuner report
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 15:56   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
I just can't wait for the pics and especially the Endy vs Fortuner report
Guderian Sir will hate me for this, and Monaro might side with him, but as far as I am concerned, the Endy vs Fortuner shootout has a foregone conclusion

On a more serious note, I would very much like to push the Endy as much as I can, and see how it performs against the Fort!

Last edited by siddheshb : 29th February 2012 at 16:08.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:26   #132
BHPian

Tried despartely, to spare me for my Wife's cousin's marriage. All the efforts in Vain.
Got to attend it in Hyd, on 11th. How unfortunate to miss such a wonderful meet.

Will be badly missing the Classic and BD sir.

Last edited by Maverick79 : 29th February 2012 at 18:30.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:34   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Tried despartely, to spare me for my Wife's cousin's marriage. All the efforts in Vain.
Got to attend it in Hyd, on 11th. How unfortunate to miss such a wonderful meet.
So kids will be without headmaster this time? or ? It's second smiley in my case(Sorry, only two per post allowed). Really wanted you to be a part of this. Anyway, can't argue with HM, can we? Hope there are no more dropouts.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:41   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb

Guderian Sir will hate me for this, and Monaro might side with him, but as far as I am concerned, the Endy vs Fortuner shootout has a foregone conclusion
Meaning??? Ok just remember that when you're going through a slippery area, some left foot braking while being on the throttle will help a lot with traction. The added resistance makes the torsen multiply the torque required to overcome the braking force 3 times and transfers that to the other wheel. The fortuner does NOT have a torsen differential in the rear! So use the torsen to your advantage! The Endy will have more grip on a level surface that the fortuner. Even when a wheel is in the air and you need more traction use the left foot braking technique to get more traction.

If you are stationary and have wheels spinning here's what you do:

1) apply left foot brake firmly
2) apply a good amount of throttle while gently easing up on the brake
3) the more braking force you use the more torque is transferred to the wheel that has grip so don't ease off the brakes too much. Go with about 50% throttle and slowly ease off brakes only until you feel forward motion. Then once you get moving again you can release brakes. (FYI, when the transfer case is locked, handbrake and normal brake will act the same except hand brake is much much weaker. So just use normal brake)
4) be amazed as you start to see forward progress

Also even on a slippery flat slope, a little left foot braking goes a long way to adding traction. The engine is more than capable of overpowering the little brake pressure and climbing the slope. Finally don't forget to use 4L if needed. 3rd gear Low = 1st gear High. 4L 1st gear will also give you the torque to overpower strong braking force.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 29th February 2012 at 18:46.
Endeavour333 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 19:38   #135
BHPian

No offence meant. I maybe wrong.

I wonder if SUV's like Endy/Safari/Fortuner are built for hard core off roading. IMHO Jeeps like the Thar maybe the Landy are the vehicles for this sport.

Besides these SUV's you guys own cost upward of 20 lakhs where as the Thar is some 8 lakhs!

Will be a topic to talk with Behram Sir and you folks during the MEET!

Rock on guys, cant wait for the meet to happen!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks