Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 21:09   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav75
I'm adding myself to tentative list, as the date is still a bit far away and I'm not sure of my plans for that weekend.

Updated list:

Venue - Rajmachi
Type - Softroading
Date - 11th March 2012, early morning start

Confirmed:
1. siddheshb + friend, F150, Nandu Sir + wifey – Endy (Samara)
2. Throttleking, Kiran moralfibre, nawalsinghal - Safari
3. Guderian - Fortuner (Admiral)
4. MonaroCV8, Racer_X, amitwlele, JD - Fortuner
5. jaysmokesleaves - Safari
6. ebonho – Bullet (Doppie)
7. Satan, Behram Dhabar - Gypsy
8. Shubhendra - Pajero or Mahindra Classic (plz confirm which one)
9. ObsessedByFIAT - Hunk (might get along an aspiring TBHPian friend with a Bullet)
10. Turboholic - CJ3B / Suzuki Shogun (Depends on how many bikes are there)

Tentative :
1. Off Roadie & Daddy (kind of rhimes) - Snow (Scorpio 4wd)
2. selfdrive - Passenger seat (with siddheshb)
3. The VTEC guy - Thunderbird
4. nilanjanray - Fortuner
5. Swanand Inamdar
6. ninjatalli
7. Kpbhatt-- Kalpesh ( with Throttleking?)
8. xtreme power - ATV
9. sierrakamat - Grande
10. Nav75 - ZMA.
Add me to the tentative list..
Old 1st March 2012, 12:15   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Guderian Sir will hate me for this, and Monaro might side with him, but as far as I am concerned, the Endy vs Fortuner shootout has a foregone conclusion

On a more serious note, I would very much like to push the Endy as much as I can, and see how it performs against the Fort!
Since when did the fun turn into a show of one upmanship between the Endevour and a Fortuner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Good luck and let us know how it goes
Excellent tips Endeavour. This will help many of the folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
I wonder if SUV's like Endy/Safari/Fortuner are built for hard core off roading. IMHO Jeeps like the Thar maybe the Landy are the vehicles for this sport.
None of the cars are really built for hard core offroading, but they can do their job. I have seen Endevours and Safari's break down where as the Fortuner has sailed back home without a scratch. I am talking of purely what i have experienced. The Fortuner i have only heard of Bumper breakage and nothing more. The Landy and the Thar also have had their fair share of breakages, so i wont rate any SUV as company prepared hard core offroaders, you still build one to offroad. Please dont make this a Showdown of Endevour against a Fortuner as it would just spoil the fun element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naduchitnis View Post
Besides these SUV's you guys own cost upward of 20 lakhs where as the Thar is some 8 lakhs!
Its not about the price at all, i have seen people offroad with Rs 60 Lakh Suv's too. I did the Examm trail drive recce's in the ML with 19" wheels. I just think its personal choice of a person and categorisation based on a price bracket is wrong.
Old 4th March 2012, 09:56   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Since when did the fun turn into a show of one upmanship between the Endevour and a Fortuner..
A friendly shoot out is a lot of fun too - and if you see the tone and the number of smileys (restricted though they are), and the banter we've had around the Endy and the Fort (just like the Pepsi and Coke wars), I think you'll realize it's not upmanship, it's three friends pulling each other's legs. Have a great day
siddheshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 11:16   #139
Senior - BHPian

One week to go. Should we start planning the meeting points and the times.

Is there a safe place enroute at the foot of Rajmachi where i can park my hatchback and then hop on to any of the monster SUVs. Thinking of Plan B incase all the SUVs starting from Pune have no spare seats.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:45   #140
BHPian

back from the nice ride to Dapoli Ladghar beach. Enjoyed riding so much this time, I feel I should take my Bull to rajmachi than Buffalo :P
Old 5th March 2012, 10:46   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a more serious note, I would very much like to push the Endy as much as I can, and see how it performs against the Fort!
This statement got me wondering..

Quote:
A friendly shoot out is a lot of fun too - and if you see the tone and the number of smileys (restricted though they are), and the banter we've had around the Endy and the Fort (just like the Pepsi and Coke wars), I think you'll realize it's not upmanship, it's three friends pulling each other's legs. Have a great day
I like the part of the coke and pepsi wars... I'll keep my Fortuner out of this...
Would someone be carrying mild recovery gear with them?. Incase Shubendra or Throttleking are not carrying, my tow ropes can be borrowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Is there a safe place enroute at the foot of Rajmachi where i can park my hatchback and then hop on to any of the monster SUVs. Thinking of Plan B incase all the SUVs starting from Pune have no spare seats.
Amit you can park the car at the Della Adventure parking lot and hop in with the others. The other thing that can also be done is since the meeting point is Ramakrishna for breakfast. Their parking lot is also safe to leave the car.

Last edited by speedy : 5th March 2012 at 10:47.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 11:12   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
back from the nice ride to Dapoli Ladghar beach. Enjoyed riding so much this time, I feel I should take my Bull to rajmachi than Buffalo :P
Noooo plzzz.... you have a lot of passengers, remember? And after all, we also need your Buffalo in the line up for the photo session!

I really wanted to join the Dapoli trip... but my 18 year old Sleek would probably not be able to keep up with your bulls!
Old 5th March 2012, 11:20   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Noooo plzzz.... you have a lot of passengers, remember? And after all, we also need your Buffalo in the line up for the photo session!

I really wanted to join the Dapoli trip... but my 18 year old Sleek would probably not be able to keep up with your bulls!
Dont worry, I will bring my Buffalo. We do a short ride on Saturday to satiate my apatite :P
Old 5th March 2012, 11:36   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333

Meaning??? Ok just remember that when you're going through a slippery area, some left foot braking while being on the throttle will help a lot with traction. The added resistance makes the torsen multiply the torque required to overcome the braking force 3 times and transfers that to the other wheel. The fortuner does NOT have a torsen differential in the rear! So use the torsen to your advantage! The Endy will have more grip on a level surface that the fortuner. Even when a wheel is in the air and you need more traction use the left foot braking technique to get more traction.

If you are stationary and have wheels spinning here's what you do:

1) apply left foot brake firmly
2) apply a good amount of throttle while gently easing up on the brake
3) the more braking force you use the more torque is transferred to the wheel that has grip so don't ease off the brakes too much. Go with about 50% throttle and slowly ease off brakes only until you feel forward motion. Then once you get moving again you can release brakes. (FYI, when the transfer case is locked, handbrake and normal brake will act the same except hand brake is much much weaker. So just use normal brake)
4) be amazed as you start to see forward progress

Also even on a slippery flat slope, a little left foot braking goes a long way to adding traction. The engine is more than capable of overpowering the little brake pressure and climbing the slope. Finally don't forget to use 4L if needed. 3rd gear Low = 1st gear High. 4L 1st gear will also give you the torque to overpower strong braking force.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Just FYI the brake-throttle technique works even for open diff vehicles and even clutch based LSDs like the Pajero or Safari. However just not as effective as it would be for a Torsen LSD equipped vehicle.

For an open diff vehicle with 2 wheels in the air, applying braking force will result in the exact amount of torque required to overcome that braking force being transferred to the wheel with grip. Only difference in a Torsen equipped axle is that that same torque gets multiplied 3 times and transferred to the wheel with grip.

So all vehicles stand to benefit from a little left foot braking while in slippery conditions.

ENJOY!
Old 5th March 2012, 13:33   #145
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am going to be offline for all of next week, unless i get data services on my phone while roaming. The good news however is that I can now add myself to the confirmed list of attendees. I will be driving into Lonavala from Aurangabad or Lonar Probably on Saturday night so will meet you guys at the Meeting point at Lonavala. Will call up Throttle King or Guderian to know the details.

Updated list:

Venue - Rajmachi
Type - Softroading
Date - 11th March 2012, early morning start

Confirmed:
1. siddheshb + friend, F150, Nandu Sir + wifey – Endy (Samara)
2. Throttleking, Kiran moralfibre, nawalsinghal - Safari
3. Guderian - Fortuner (Admiral)
4. MonaroCV8, Racer_X, amitwlele, JD - Fortuner
5. jaysmokesleaves - Safari
6. ebonho – Bullet (Doppie)
7. Satan, Behram Dhabar - Gypsy
8. Shubhendra - Pajero or Mahindra Classic (plz confirm which one)
9. ObsessedByFIAT - Hunk (might get along an aspiring TBHPian friend with a Bullet)
10. Turboholic - CJ3B / Suzuki Shogun (Depends on how many bikes are there)
11. Off Roadie with Mom, Dad and a whole lot of luggage - Snow (Scorpio 4wd)

Tentative :
1. Nav75 - ZMA.
2. selfdrive - Passenger seat (with siddheshb)
3. The VTEC guy - Thunderbird
4. nilanjanray - Fortuner
5. Swanand Inamdar
6. ninjatalli
7. Kpbhatt-- Kalpesh ( with Throttleking?)
8. xtreme power - ATV
9. sierrakamat - Grande
Old 5th March 2012, 14:10   #146

Would love to go - however my MM540 which i just purchased (finally!) and is going through a restoration will not be ready :(.....
Old 5th March 2012, 15:25   #147
Senior - BHPian

Meeting Time and place.

Below is an approx schedule. Let the discussions now shift to timings.
We can continue to add names as the discussion progresses.

Meeting Place: Foothills of the climb.
Meeting time: 530am or earlier.
Climb starts: 600am latest.
Latecomers can play catchup.

As advised by Satan, and I agree, its best to climb early as it will get horribly hot thereafter.
Should attempt to reach back down by 11/1130 am latest.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:51   #148
BHPian

Re: Meeting Time and place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Below is an approx schedule. Let the discussions now shift to timings.
We can continue to add names as the discussion progresses.

Meeting Place: Foothills of the climb.
Meeting time: 530am or earlier.
Climb starts: 600am latest.
Latecomers can play catchup.

As advised by Satan, and I agree, its best to climb early as it will get horribly hot thereafter.
Should attempt to reach back down by 11/1130 am latest.
Yes, I agree, it will be good to leave from Pune/Mumbai by 500/530, so as to reach the foothills of Rajmachi by 600/630. Gives us plenty of time then to explore and take pictures before the heat takes over.
Old 5th March 2012, 16:14   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I agree, it will be good to leave from Pune/Mumbai by 500/530, so as to reach the foothills of Rajmachi by 600/630. Gives us plenty of time then to explore and take pictures before the heat takes over.
Ohh, I thought we will reach Lonavala around 8ish, have breakfast there and then leave for Rajmachi.
Old 6th March 2012, 01:08   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Ohh, I thought we will reach Lonavala around 8ish, have breakfast there and then leave for Rajmachi.
Actually, I havent been to Rajmachi - so I will defer to you folks. Whatever works for most of you should be right! And yes, I do want to have breakfast

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks