Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 13:43   #241
BHPian

Re: Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Did anyone of you actually try going on the rocky trail (a dried stream) whose pics i can see? that would have required 4x4. Actually how many of the vehicles that participated were actually 4X4. Because one must not get very bold with a 2x4 vehicle. understand the limits of a 4x2 and you would do well.
The boulders were too large, IMO, to attempt a crossing without leaving metal and paint behind. Especially if the tires do not have independent suspensions...
Old 13th March 2012, 14:03   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb

The boulders were too large, IMO, to attempt a crossing without leaving metal and paint behind. Especially if the tires do not have independent suspensions...
Independent suspension is much worse for offroading. Solid axle gives better articulation, travel, weight distribution, and keeps the underbody away from the rocks. The only example where independent works is in the case of the landrovers because of their air ride suspension system that mimics the behavior of a solid axle Offroad and gives an independent suspension ride and handling on road. To an extent the Modern toyota Landcruisers and US Prados do the same with a hydraulic system that once again tries to mimic the solid axle 4x4.
Solid axle is worth about 3 to 4 inches of lift on an equivalent independent suspension 4x4. This is why 99% of serious offroaders have solid axles.

The next level is talking about suspension systems and suspension geometry. Torsion bars, like on the front end of the Endeavour and Fortuner have the least travel. Next best are leaf springs and the best are coil springs. The new Scorpios actually come with coil springs on all 4 corners which Is pretty impressive. Just wish the Scorpio was built tougher and more reliable though.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 13th March 2012 at 14:05.
Old 13th March 2012, 14:24   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
A sedan with decent ground clearance should be able to make it to Rajmachi during the dry season with a little bit of tip toeing around. However the surrounding tracks are strictly SUV territory.
Yes you are right to an extent because this is not strictly 4x4 territory. I dont think there is a sedan with GC like those offered in SUVs. Maybe the SX4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
U dont need independent suspension to make a formidable offroader. IN fact you dont need independent suspension at all i feel. You first need to get good MT tyres as with HT tyres, your approach even with a 4x4 is restricted. Out 4x4 section is full of such examples where Thars with HT tyres have failed to impress.... a Thar anyways fails to impress me except on the tarmac but thats my opinion only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Independent suspension is much worse for offroading. Solid axle gives better articulation, travel, weight distribution, and keeps the underbody away from the rocks. The only example where independent works is in the case of the landrovers because of their air ride suspension system that mimics the behavior of a solid axle Offroad and gives an independent suspension ride and handling on road. To an extent the Modern toyota Landcruisers and US Prados do the same with a hydraulic system that once again tries to mimic the solid axle 4x4.
Solid axle is worth about 3 to 4 inches of lift on an equivalent independent suspension 4x4. This is why 99% of serious offroaders have solid axles.

The next level is talking about suspension systems and suspension geometry. Torsion bars, like on the front end of the Endeavour and Fortuner have the least travel. Next best are leaf springs and the best are coil springs. The new Scorpios actually come with coil springs on all 4 corners which Is pretty impressive. Just wish the Scorpio was built tougher and more reliable though.
I wouldn't say is is worse for offroading. In fact many of the formidable offroaders, re-built, are done so with IS. Zuki world is full of them but thats another ball game and the IS meant for cars is not offroading 4X4 specific. That is more for comfort and we are talking handling and go anywhere capability. For offroading i feel the solid Axel vehicles are good enough unless you are entering some competitive sport somewhere in the Amazon.
Old 13th March 2012, 15:06   #244
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't say is is worse for offroading. In fact many of the formidable offroaders, re-built, are done so with IS. Zuki world is full of them but thats another ball game and the IS meant for cars is not offroading 4X4 specific. That is more for comfort and we are talking handling and go anywhere capability. For offroading i feel the solid Axel vehicles are good enough unless you are entering some competitive sport somewhere in the Amazon.
I cant figure out if you're supporting my point or going against it :P
If you are saying whats better for the kind of light trail driving here then it really doesn't matter what kind you have, I suppose comfort would be better so IFS. For harder stuff, Solid axle is the indisputably superior in terms of traction available at the wheels. I was thinking of getting a solid axle swap for my Endy but apparently that has never been done before for the model, not even in Australia, the capital of 4wd. I'm just going to settle for 32" MTs and a rear ARB air locker Cannot wait till those 2 are on my beast.
Old 13th March 2012, 15:14   #245
BHPian

Dr. Sahib thanks for the pics, the one with everyone's backs has really come out well. I would have pm'd you to post it in a day or so. Your description on everyone's driving style is spot on and there is nothing more to add.

To everyone else who was at Rajmachi, I'm loving the way we were cheering complimenting each other out there and back on the forum, way to go guys.

Shutterbugs, thanks for all the lovely pics and videos.

Quote:
Yes you are right to an extent because this is not strictly 4x4 territory. I dont think there is a sedan with GC like those offered in SUVs. Maybe the SX4?
Well sir there was a Ritz that had made its way all the way to Rajmachi, the only difference was that he was taking it nice and easy while we were having a blast charging through. I am sure you would have a blast crawling up and down the boulder strewn stream, it offers an excellent test for man and machine.

Guys lets not get technical on this thread.
Off Roadie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 15:22   #246
BHPian

Quote:
To everyone else who was at Rajmachi, I'm loving the way we were cheering complimenting each other out there and back on the forum, way to go guys.
Oh yes, the spirit of competition and camarederie is what sport is all about, isn't it? Loved the shootout!
siddheshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 15:41   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Oh yes, the spirit of competition and camarederie is what sport is all about, isn't it? Loved the shootout!
Very well said, I remember how everyone clapped when Doc went uphill in first attempt. Whatever we did, was significant for us, and was appreciated by us.

BTW siddhesh, I took one apple from you, but didnt eat, when I reached home, I gave it to my daughter she was very happy!!!
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 15:43   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
I cant figure out if you're supporting my point or going against it :P
If you are saying whats better for the kind of light trail driving here then it really doesn't matter what kind you have, I suppose comfort would be better so IFS. For harder stuff, Solid axle is the indisputably superior in terms of traction available at the wheels. I was thinking of getting a solid axle swap for my Endy but apparently that has never been done before for the model, not even in Australia, the capital of 4wd. I'm just going to settle for 32" MTs and a rear ARB air locker Cannot wait till those 2 are on my beast.

no im niether supporting nor going against it. Im just saying to each his own. Also im saying that IS would be for real hardcore stuff where its a lot of other mods with the IS otherwise id any day support the Solid Axel over an IS. I have seen what my CJ and MM550 can do.
Old 13th March 2012, 16:10   #249
Senior - BHPian

I wasn't talking about taking the boulders, but looking at the trail/kachcha road that you guys must have taken, I thought I could have taken the Ikon there, as long as the trail went.

Yes, it was probably a mistake to sit with my back to the road, because otherwise I too would have spotted you guys as soon as you got off the Endy. I saw the Endy pulling up at the side of the road and then reversing into the parking lot, but because it involved turning my neck around at a very painful angle and that our food had already arrived, I focussed back on the table just to realize I couldn't know who alighted from the vehicle. That's how I missed you.

Anyways, I think the jacket is going to be a part of my attire for such meets, so hopefully next time it's not as difficult to spot. Perhaps I could stick a Team BHP sticker on to its back!
Old 13th March 2012, 17:06   #250
BHPian

[quote=ajnagpur;271092

Running & clicking the offroading thrill was equally exciting.
sierrakamat (Doc), you rock with your Grande. Your SUV is very tastefully accessorised & looks HOT. Your punches & one liners were hilarious & you crushed everything that came in your way while offroading
Very happy to meet you all siddheshb, sierrakamat (Doc), vtec_guy, Monaro CV8, Ninjatalli, RacerX OffRoddie, honeybee, ninjatalli and all others that I missed to mention.
Looking forward for more adventures & meets![/QUOTE]
A BIG THANK YOU to all of you for appreciating the GRANDE as most people dismiss this highly underrated vehicle as another peoples carrier whereas for me it is a four door sierra with a dicor engine.
As for the one liners and punches thanks for taking them sportingly(without the verbal banter i would be concentrating more on my busted knee and my fractured painful spine) the laughs act like analgesics.
By the way till i saw the pics i thought Samara was Sids better half and throughout the day was wondering how i have not met her in the small group.
Anyways Samara looked no less stunning on the rock sunbathing with her glares on.
For all the serious offroaders the title of the trip includes'' SOFTROADING '' so thats what we did and enjoyed it to the core .
again a few pics courtesy Harish Kunte from dombivali the AGNI missile is from chembur
Attached Thumbnails
Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dscf2155.jpg  

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dscf2153.jpg  

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dscf2233.jpg  

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dscf2224.jpg  

sierrakamat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 18:45   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Anyways, I think the jacket is going to be a part of my attire for such meets, so hopefully next time it's not as difficult to spot. Perhaps I could stick a Team BHP sticker on to its back!
Are you going to sit with your back to the entrance again?!
Some of us have not met you so just to be safe, go with a sticker each at the back and front.
sorry, could not resist
Old 13th March 2012, 19:22   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16

no im niether supporting nor going against it. Im just saying to each his own. Also im saying that IS would be for real hardcore stuff where its a lot of other mods with the IS otherwise id any day support the Solid Axel over an IS. I have seen what my CJ and MM550 can do.
Hey I don't mean to argue or anything but I don't want you or other people to be misinformed or mislead. Also sorry for this OT Convo I swear this is my last post on this topic.

If by "IS" you mean independent suspension, the sentence "IS would be for real hardcore stuff" Would be incorrect. I feel like I'm trying to convince you of gravity or something. This is all I am going to say, not posting on this again.

Really did not mean to be rude or anything, sorry if I came off that way. Maybe all this is me just not understanding what you're trying to say. Sorry if it was a misunderstanding on my side.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 13th March 2012 at 19:30.
Old 14th March 2012, 08:52   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Are you going to sit with your back to the entrance again?!
Some of us have not met you so just to be safe, go with a sticker each at the back and front.
sorry, could not resist
Good point LOL

Yeah, a sandwich board advert for Team BHP. Wonder if I could then charge for the advertisements.

How about shaving my head and painting it with the Team BHP logo?

More than anything else, this short meet convinced my wife Team BHP members are quite decent folks in real life, she was actually surprised to see a doctor too! And it has made her too fall in love with SUVs. Maybe I can convince her to partly finance a new Thar or a used Grand Vitara maybe...

Talk about the power of Team BHP
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 12:06   #254
BHPian

adding some more pictures on public demand

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dsc01408.jpg

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dsc01427.jpg

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dsc01495.jpg

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dsc01531.jpg

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dsc01555.jpg

Rajmachi Softroading Trip March 11th-dsc01556.jpg
ajnagpur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 13:07   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
adding some more pictures on public demand
Thank you so much AJ, now I can go back and work normally. Your daily dose of pics, gets me going
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed