Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 16:46   #46
BHPian

Re: Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...

And before going back home,headed straight to 3M and got my baby washed and shaft propellor cleaned thoroughly as advised by General Saab.

Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...-20120708_114823.jpg
Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...-20120708_160248.jpg
Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...-20120708_162003.jpg
Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...-20120708_160235.jpg
Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...-20120708_174902.jpg
Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...-20120708_174852.jpg
Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...-20120708_174841.jpg

Lets plan the next drive now!!!

Last edited by kedarwalke : 10th July 2012 at 16:52.
kedarwalke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 18:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
How did the Stock Dunlop tyres perform. Was there any cause for complaint or is it recommended to upgrade to shoes like Michelin Lattitude or Yokohama Geolandars?
Hi scorpiobharat,
The stock Dunlops were fairly OK till the slush and clay began. Thereafter once the treads were filled with the sticky clay it was as good as a bald tyre on a stainless steel surface (to add special effects - slathered with oil !). I have experience with Geolandars on my earlier Scorpio and have driven 4X4s with Geos A/Ts and would state that they are far more 'gripper' and thanks to the tread pattern does throw out clay in between the treads at times. Softer rubber of the Geos helps in these situations. The only sorrow with the Geos and Yokos in general is that the side walls are thin - as thin as papier mache. And during OTRs stony projections can rip them apart. I had 3 ripped Geo tyres on the Scorpio at various times just by driving around Mumbai. Ripped driving in areas where road construction activities were on or rough neighbourhoods and couldn't spot steel rods and other projections in time. But even then, yes, I would still say that the Geos would be better than the stock Duns.
No clue about the Michelins. But yeah we would have loved to have MTs of any make. We were crying for them after the first incline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
you guys should pick up better tow ropes for these big boys.
BTW Nice pics
Hi davids4x4mm550 (nice moniker !)
Thanks.
Actually that 'rope' you see was there just for the effect and was/is actually Kedar's dental floss.
Seriously - Admiral has a 5 ton capacity steel wire rope with hooks & safety clips. Didn't take it out for the snap or action as was keeping it in reserve in case everything else failed. And the actual reason - cleaning a steel wire tow rope dragged in clay is a nightmare !

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaji View Post
I would love to go on a drive like this if someone is doing this stuff in or around Bangalore...
Thanks Yaji !
I thought you had plenty of places around Bangalore ? I have been to quite a few places years ago with Jeeps in college - Hessargatta, Ramnagara etc. I am sure you'll find something.
And if all else fails - just come to Mumbai/Thane/Pune during the next drive !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
(Was the incident reported to the Home Ministry during debriefing later that day?..)
On a serious note.. did you notice how the Fortuner changes character in LL mode. Feels right invincible then doesn't it?!
Hi Manuuj,
Thanks mate !
Of course I did mention about the Damsel-i-D to the LoH. I wouldn't take a risk you see. Because long time ago during an office outing had taken a few colleagues (of the feminine persuasion) in the Scorpio and the giggly bunch had left behind an ear ring, a very feminine bracelet and a hairband in the vehicle. The LoH discovered the items next to her seat the very next day morning and I hadn't cleaned the Scorp after that drive (stupid, very stupid, me). And was quizzed in a tone which suggested that she suspected me of having converted the vehicle into a mobile house of ill repute ! So never take chances after that episode, not knowing which damsel leaves what behind - though of course I did mention that the Rajmachi damsel was about 70 years old, all grey haired and too ill to walk and had a brood with her...

Oh yeah in LL the Fortuner is something ! Suddenly you don't miss speed. The crawling with that growl is just good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Here is my report. I did not click many pictures as others were, I had just come to drive my Fortuner(After a very long time). I did click a few.
Hi Abhay, Thanks for the pithy report and nice snaps ! Await your videos eagerly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
The Endy has 2H, 4H and 4L. I have only once needed the 4L setting, when I was carrying a full load of passengers, and we got stuck in foot deep muck. I am assuming HL is similar to the Endy's 4H? The reason I am asking is I am thinking of doing a Rajmachi run by myself something this month, and want to make sure I am not taking on more than my Endy can chew
Hi Sid,
The TC/4X4 system of the Endy is almost the same as the Fortuner I guess except the Toyota's AWD system and the Endy's LSD.
OK coming to the Rajmachi run I don't think the Samara your Endy will have any difficulty handling the slush, clay and inclines (especially since you have the Geos (wink, wink)) but what bothers me is its length. There were a couple of turns (and one atop a blessed clay filled incline) which are pretty sharp and could pose a bit of a challenge where you might sweat a little. I guess you'll reverse and plunge ahead etc but doing that on that slippery incline (to boot) could be a pain. So do take care of that and keep your Endy's nose and rear in view when you maneuver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
1. Everything went as per...

2. It was a very good experience and in no way a two wheel drive could had made it.

3. I was last in the convoy and again last to put up the report and pictures,
sorry for that.

4. I have few videos of HG,Monaro and abhay's fortuners but will upload in a couple of days.
Hi Kedar,
Thanks for the sharp report and the lovely snaps ! Yeah it was great fun and thanks for having joined in the clay stomping !

1. Everything was truly chop chop.
2. Someone could try it though - like that wallowing Safari which originally was a 4X4 but career reduced to a 4X2 thanks to that popped out front shaft.
3. Ha ha - nice touch that...!
4. Eagerly await that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
1. And before going back home,headed straight to 3M and got my baby washed...
2. Lets plan the next drive now!!!
1. How much did that cleaning up cost you Kedar ?
2. Let's get cracking on another drive during the monsoons !

Last edited by Guderian : 10th July 2012 at 18:36.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 18:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Sid,
The TC of the Endy is almost the same as the Fortuner I guess except the Toyota's AWD system and the Endy's LSD.
OK coming to the Rajmachi run I don't think the Samara your Endy will have any difficulty handling the slush, clay and inclines (especially since you have the Geos (wink, wink)) but what bothers me is its length. There were a couple of turns and one atop a blessed clay filled incline were pretty sharp which could pose a bit of a challenge where you might sweat a little. I guess you'll reverse and plunge ahead etc but doing that on that incline to boot could be a pain. So do take care of that and keep your Endy's nose and rear in view when you maneuver.
@Guderian Sir, Samara's already been to Rajmachi - the difference would be only in the slush and nature of the surface, not the lengths really? She's done a lot of water too - especially in Dapoli when we took a big plunge in the lake by the beach, so I am hoping this is one damsel you wouldn't need to pull out from distress
Old 10th July 2012, 18:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
@Guderian Sir, Samara's already been to Rajmachi - the difference would be only in the slush and nature of the surface, not the lengths really? She's done a lot of water too - especially in Dapoli when we took a big plunge in the lake by the beach, so I am hoping this is one damsel you wouldn't need to pull out from distress
Hi Sid, Edited my post - what I wanted to mention was the need to maneuver on a slippery surface and with that length...the combo could be a pain...especially one spot I remember with a sharp incline and a sharp curve to the right. But then it'd be fun though. And Samara would be one Damsel that doesn't requires any rescuing for sure !

Last edited by Guderian : 10th July 2012 at 18:46.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 19:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Yaji !
I thought you had plenty of places around Bangalore ? I have been to quite a few places years ago with Jeeps in college - Hessargatta, Ramnagara etc. I am sure you'll find something.
And if all else fails - just come to Mumbai/Thane/Pune during the next drive !
Well i have been to all those places on a bike and even in my earlier scorpio but driving a 4X4 in monsoons on such terrain would be quite another thing i suppose. One can confidently explore terrain which one would dare not on a 2WD scorpio. I have had experiences where the scorpio had to be pulled out with the help of a tractor and even a 407.

Another thing is about company One also needs to have people in company who are not always bothered about getting the car dirty and also bothered with the thought of driving an expensive vehicle through the slush !...
Old 10th July 2012, 19:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaji View Post
Another thing is about company One also needs to have people in company who are not always bothered about getting the car dirty and also bothered with the thought of driving an expensive vehicle through the slush !...
Look no further sir...come to the West.
And join us in the next mud-drive being planned before the end of this monsoon !

And incidentally - for the folks who wanted a snap of the Safari in trouble - I think the snap below was the closest anyone came to snapping it. Thanks Kedar. This is a snap of the long incline. Just after the point where we were standing began the sharp portion of the incline. Here 3 of us (L-R: 2nd from left - Abhay, HG & Monaro. Rest - unidentified worthies who were bandying about unsolicited advice - and had to be at a point of time asked to shut their traps !) are trying to figure a way out to get the Safari out - before moving into action. Couldn't really take a snap of the Safari, the sweaty chap, his terrified wife and bawling kids - felt sorry for them and us ! But you can just about make out one part (left protion) of the now famous Safari - next to Monaro's right shoulder/arm (red T-shirt).

Four Fortuners & A Day of Simple Adventures...-32.jpg

Last edited by Guderian : 10th July 2012 at 20:18.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 22:26   #52
BHPian

Lovely thread thank you all for sharing.
General Saab that dental floss is really strong it had me in splits.
Old 11th July 2012, 05:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Thats me.

Oopsy!
My Bad..
I've requested a correction in the names.

BTW, here's Kedar's real pics
Attached Images

Monaro CV8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 06:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Nice pics and even better narration Herr Guderian!
Any pics of the stranded Safari and/or its rescue attempt ?
Hi Ojas, Thanks for the kind words. Guess the story & reasons for the lack of snaps of the Safari has been explained as above - and all we could manage was the single snap or so from a distance from Kedar's lens. The group displayed great sense of judgement - shall we say ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
BTW, here's Kedar's real pics
Nice Monaro ! But I and the rest of the good folks here are waiting for the real juicy stuff from you and Kedar. The videos ! Keeping us hanging around are you and making us pine for it ?
Old 11th July 2012, 10:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Admiral has a 5 ton capacity steel wire rope with hooks & safety clips. ...
Guderian,

If this is that type like the image below, with hooks on either side, I would suggest you retire that and get a tow rope rated 9 tons or above:

(image from Google)

5 ton is inadequate for your vehicle - remember, you are having 2+ tons and lets say pulling another Fortuner is another 2+ tons, that itself comes close to the capacity of your rope; where will the tow force be accounted for? Ideal to have a tow rope rated at least 3 times your vehicle gross weight.

I had one of these steel rope a long time back - the pain of moving it around (weight + handling difficulty + storing, to name a few) and the realization of the capacity vs likely use, moved me to tow ropes; this was also when I was made to understand the necessity about going for the correct rating.
HappyWheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 14:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
If this is that type like the image below, with hooks on either side, I would suggest you retire that...
Hi HappyWheels,
Thanks for the info.
Yes, have decided to go in for a heavy duty canvas tow
strap/belt with D shackles. Getting it through a friend from a factory which is into OHC operations. Been informed that it has a rating of handling 20 Tons.
Only issue- making space for it. Both inside Admiral and the house !
Old 11th July 2012, 15:34   #57
BHPian

This post may look out of place here, but to me, makes absolute sense. Intend is not to offend anyone but to put my views straight forward.

I am against the idea of wasting precious fuel in the name of fun and adventure. What ever may be ones excuse. May be one has the money to buy the machine and the fuel, but spare a thought on what you do with it. just smoke it out for fun?? Not a great idea guys.
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 15:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Great reporting from all you guys. Loved it. Thanks for sharing. Somehow missed the thread as well as the actual drive. Not that i was invited.

Perfect setting for the beasts.

Quote:
Yes, have decided to go in for a heavy duty canvas tow
strap/belt with D shackles. Been informed that it has a rating of handling 20 Tons.
General seems like you are taking the job of saving damsels in distress seriously looking at the equipment you plan to purchase.
Old 11th July 2012, 19:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Great reporting from all you guys. Loved it. Thanks for sharing. Somehow missed the thread as well as the actual drive. Not that i was invited.
General seems like you are taking the job of saving damsels in distress seriously looking at the equipment you plan to purchase.
Hi Amit, Thanks for the kind words.
Yeah, it was a quick affair. Didn't send out invitations. For the reception - zaroor ana !

Rescuing damsels with a 20T tow strap ? Say - what kind and size of damsels do you think I go after ?

In the meantime awaiting Kedar's and Monaro's video clips eagerly. Poke...poke - a gentle reminder guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
This post may look out of place here, but to me, makes absolute sense. Intend is not to offend anyone but to put my views straight forward.

I am against the idea of wasting precious fuel in the name of fun and adventure. What ever may be ones excuse. May be one has the money to buy the machine and the fuel, but spare a thought on what you do with it. just smoke it out for fun?? Not a great idea guys.
Hi vinair,
Sincerely respect your thoughts and ideas.

Aloha !

Last edited by Guderian : 11th July 2012 at 19:53.
Old 11th July 2012, 23:32   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Ahh okay..my mistake then. If 4L is the low Range setting then there should be no problem. I guess there are no locking Diffs then?
Ahem, since nobody has commented on this, let me butt in.

Fortuner 4WD is a full time 4WD vehicle, so it needs a center LSD to enable it to drive on tarmac. When you lock the diff, you are merely locking the center LSD, the front and rear diffs are open.

The Endeavour 4WD on the other hand is a part time 4WD. That means it doesn't have or need center LSD. When you engage 4WD, it is same as a locked center LSD. In addition, Endy has rear LSD, while Fortuner has rear open diff.

Fortuner in HL or LL => front diff open, center is locked and rear diff is open.
Endeavour in 4H or 4L => front diff open, center is locked and rear diff is LSD.

On paper, Endeavour has better 4WD system for offroad usage. The only other vehicles in India with similar setup is Safari and some army MM550s.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th July 2012 at 23:33.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed