Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 14:17   #46
BANNED

Re: Off-Roading in India & Forest Land Use

Lets keep aside what we differ on , we will settle it somewhere off line

But till then lets have a practical view

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Not pleading ignorance of law, that is not an excuse just not knowing because no one informed me. How the heck should i know?. ==== Im sure you will agree that that there should be prominent signages in prominent places so that people are made aware and ignorance is not used as an excuse in the future.

Quote:
=== I am not saying that anyone be allowed to jump the light. Im just saying, put a light at least, so everyone knows there is a signal People do follow signals when they are present.
'They' are NOT going to DO it , from whom are you expecting such things ??
So , then what ?? whats the way out ??

Its our fault too , we ( Me including first ) were sleeping till some one from us faced the music , we never realized this ( entering forests ) was an Issue .

There are also certain seemingly 'Non Issues ' ,we must also be very aware in terms of Laws ,rules & regulations

Quote:
My point is that if you are not allowed to take your vehicle in the forest, go upto a point where you can and then trek it the other way (now dont go walking into Sanjay Gandhi National park or the Gir forest.....even at your own risk). Enjoy the forest, the greenery and conserve it as much as possible. Im not propogating an otr in the forst im propogating enjoying it and for that the government has to get up and face adventure tourism. Trekking, camping etc. and a road or a pathway to get there.
Yes this sounds reasonable , we need to curb our habits.
Just Last Sunday I had been to a place far off the regular route ,there was a dense forest & first thing struck me was this > Where I am heading ? < . I stopped the LR & we ( all three me ,wife & son ) ventured on foot . I think even that may not be allowed but then it will certainly make a difference, if at all some issue arises .

Quote:
I think we must carefully choose whom we want to go out with.
Yes I agree 100% & this is 'The' first thing / Rule for an OTR

Thanks Gogi Bhai , Lets meet somewhere & settle few things

Sudarshan
Old 22nd September 2012, 15:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

'They' are NOT going to DO it , from whom are you expecting such things ??
So , then what ?? whats the way out ??
I have stopped expecting anything from governments long time back Rajubhai.

Quote:
Its our fault too , we ( Me including first ) were sleeping till some one from us faced the music , we never realized this ( entering forests ) was an Issue .
Yes agree! Its now a question of what came first the chicken or the egg. But each one must be aware of their own responsibilities.

Quote:
There are also certain seemingly 'Non Issues ' ,we must also be very aware in terms of Laws ,rules & regulations
Only hardened die hard criminals and poachers give two hoots for the law. While we ourselves must be self reliant and be aware, so alos the authorities cannot shy away and not bother about not informing us. Anywhere abroad one goes, the information is top notch. See even the boards on the expressway, most are written in such small script that one needs a magnifying glass to read the content even when one is parked right below the board and then one finds out that "Do not park here" is written

Quote:
Thanks Gogi Bhai , Lets meet somewhere & settle few things
Sudarshan
LOL!! That sounds like a threat. anyways i am on if you would couple the threat with home cooked meal.
Old 24th September 2012, 19:45   #48
BHPian

Not all forests have rules prohibiting the use of Diesel vehicles per-se, and the few that do are only serious about implementing the rule in a specific area where OTR wouldnt be practical in the first place. So that in itself is not an issue. Petrol vehicles have some advantages in forest use, but that is irrelevant in this spec discussion.

Regarding OTR's in forests: well I have never been a huge fan of these because of the disturbance that it causes to the delicate forest.

There are some Revenue Forests like around Hosur which are more open to this sort of activity. But please exercise extra care when organizing OTR's even here.

Quote:
I see that the Palar challenge now gives an "Adventure Zone Green Team Award" for collecting plastic bottles along the way.
Is this true? This is a great idea!
Old 24th September 2012, 20:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

Is this true? This is a great idea!
Yes it is and Gulbarga team of jeepers won the prize. We in Bangalore are thinking seriously to adopt in our future OTRs
dwaraka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 18:52   #50
BHPian

Re: Report: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa

Not being a spoil sport but!

1. such activities within the forest areas or near areas which have green cover, should be totally avoided...I understand that this is a sport, but a state like Goa which has banned mining partly because of damage to environment surely should not have approved this activity.

2. A country fighting for water resources, surely does not need its rivers muddled and dirtied by cars driven through them

3. I read in some posts above that this was private land, so I just see it as a money spinning venture with minimum or no regards to the damage caused to the surroundings (read nature).

Sorry, if my post is harsh, but this is my personal opinion and I surely do not support such extreme activities which damage our environment which is so close to a collapse, especially in a country like India where laws are made and broken at the whims of a few rich guys.

Mods, you can remove my post if found offending, this is my personal opinion

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 21:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Looks like your reply on the RFC thread is moved here.

Personal opinions are subjected to Risks (do not take it personally)

I agree with all you said, but we need to be aware than any kind of an entertainment that we mankind indulge in, has its repercussions to mother Nature.

If we look at RFC and the way it was organised, the organizers have considered the extent of damage and how to revive that. I have not been there nor any way obliged to the organizing committee, But I can say that most of the events that we offroaders conduct we are aware and make it a most important task to clean up what we mess around with.

When I have the same questions in my mind, I would generally introspect and ask myself, What is my carbon foot print to the Nature and what am I doing to reduce it

Last edited by Twinn : 28th August 2014 at 21:30.
Old 28th August 2014, 22:19   #52
BHPian

Quote:

1. such activities within the forest areas or near areas which have green cover, should be totally avoided...I understand that this is a sport, but a state like Goa which has banned mining partly because of damage to environment surely should not have approved this activity.

you are surely having a wrong notion about the mining ban mate, it was damage to the public exchequer, more then anything else, that invoked the mining ban.

3. I read in some posts above that this was private land, so I just see it as a money spinning venture with minimum or no regards to the damage caused to the surroundings (read nature).

Sorry, if my post is harsh, but this is my personal opinion and I surely do not support such extreme activities which damage our environment which is so close to a collapse, especially in a country like India where laws are made and broken at the whims of a few rich guys.

Regards
Dieseltuned
with all the above mentioned concerns, i am sure you have joined the wrong forum mate
whitemm550 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 23:28   #53
BHPian

I think it also comes down to everyones perception of what constitutes as "off roading". We are developing all the time as a nation, and this will bring with it changing set of rules and regulations.

1.Are we merely taking our vehicles off road to improve our own skills and to test the capabilities of our vehicles (competition and sport)? Or is the purpose to get to explore lesser known regions and appreciate nature? (Maybe)People and authorities are more likely to be accommodating towards the latter.

2. Members within the off roading community who own, or have legal access to areas where offroading can be combined with say other activities like fishing, boating and camping should seriously think about this. Of course a token amount for upkeep and maintenance can always be charged to all using such kind of " offroad parks" or premesis.

3. Defined green lanes / off road tracks (which is already the case in a few countries ) WILL happen sooner or later.

4. Is there enough being done to promote off roading as a bonafide Motorsport, to the Motorsport associations and to the general public in our country?

5. Campaigns like "don't lock up India", similar to what is being done in Australia can also be carried out if things really begin to go pear-shaped for us off roaders
Bump-Stop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 11:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
with all the above mentioned concerns, i am sure you have joined the wrong forum mate
I think an other side point of view is also needed to bring balance to the discussion. Since Dieseltuned (a contradictory handle to his post ) has raised this issue, it would be nice, as part of the RFC organising team, you can also explain the efforts that you had put in to minimise the ecological impact at RFC
mallumowgli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 13:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
I understand that Team-Bhp is a car community, irrespective of whether you are an off - roader or a normal commuting joe like me.

Sir, very kindly request you to answer all my questions and what precautions this event had taken before questioning my intentions on joining the forum.

Forums are always for healthy discusssions and it is always a two way traffic 'mate'. Learn to respect other people's views.

and yes, as another member 'mallumowgli' also pointed out , please publish the list of things that this event had put up to minimise the ecological impact.

Regards
Dieseltuned

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 1st September 2014 at 13:57. Reason: added to the post
Dieseltuned is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:46   #56
Team-BHP Support

Going of a marked trail in temprate or cold areas does permanent damage.

However there is absolutely no evidence of irreparable damage in wet tropics.

Due to this reason you will find stiff penalties in place for green laning in cold countries.

In tropics such events are common and impact on environment due to offroading is minimal.

If there was a significant impact there would be no forests left in elephant corridors.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 17:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At a very high level, if you draw parallel or a tangent, its not very different from 35,000 to 1,00,000 people spending petrol/diesel on bikes/cars/public transport and sitting inside a building with lights that can, say, light up entire chawls in mumbai and may be more for a day or a week, and - AND - say around 1,00,00,000 television boxes switched on for anywhere from 2 hours - 8 hours, and notwithstanding the 50,00,000 or more social media posts post that are posted on electrically powered personal devices.... hmm need i say more?

No one dare says anything blasphemous about 11 Indian men getting screwed by 11 whites all over again since 1600s, so why this?

Its entertainment for few - Religion for few more - lets leave it at that.
svsantosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 17:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
At a very high level, if you draw parallel or a tangent, its not very different from 35,000 to 1,00,000 people spending petrol/diesel on bikes/cars/public transport and sitting inside a building with lights that can, say, light up entire chawls in mumbai and may be more for a day or a week, and - AND - say around 1,00,00,000 television boxes switched on for anywhere from 2 hours - 8 hours, and notwithstanding the 50,00,000 or more social media posts post that are posted on electrically powered personal devices.... hmm need i say more?

No one dare says anything blasphemous about 11 Indian men getting screwed by 11 whites all over again since 1600s, so why this?

Its entertainment for few - Religion for few more - lets leave it at that.
Santosh,

With due respect, tsk's answer is fairly spot on - nature can heal itself in our tropical forest conditions.

Cricket has about zero relevance to this thread.
Old 1st September 2014, 17:39   #59
BANNED

Your love for the environment is as confused as your objections.

I've always been amused at people's "LOVE" for the environment. Bit egoistic of MAN to think he could make an impact on MOTHER NATURE.

Quote:

Why? What does offroading have to do with mining? How are the two even remotely comparable? Would tearing up some paths do repairable damage to the soil? Does the grass not grow there anymore?
Quote:
2. A country fighting for water resources, surely does not need its rivers muddled and dirtied by cars driven through them
What does water resource and getting a few streams muddy have to do with each other? Any idea about water table, rivers, dams, etc? Or just shooting your mouth off?
Quote:
Did you see any pictures, videos, or get any reports of the participants and/or organizers leaving trash behind, or doing any environmental damage?

Of course, from your post, just tearing up a mud road would be considered damaging.
Quote:

Regards
Dieseltuned
It's OK to have an opinion, but when your opinion includes baseless accusations based on "Your" perception, be prepared for some brickbats to follow.

Cheers
Old 1st September 2014, 18:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, very kindly request you to answer all my questions and what precautions this event had taken before questioning my intentions on joining the forum.
and yes, as another member 'mallumowgli' also pointed out , please publish the list of things that this event had put up to minimise the ecological impact.
Dear Diesel Tuned,
thanks for your concerns. firstly, we at RFC India, were the first organizers, who got the participants to sign a 'environmental charter', basically, a list of do's and don'ts of things that are connected with the environment, a glossary of things which would help in protecting the environment, failing to adhere to the same would result in a 10-20 points penalty, or in the worst case scenario, a total disqualification from the stage. we also had a full time 'environmental steward', a very senior ranking, retired forest officer, who was with us, throughout the event, and his task was to keep a eagle eye on any environmental outrages, if any and report them to the organizers, and last but not the least, we had given a undertaking guarantee to the government to prevent any environmental damage.

and sir, we are pleased to say that the govt of Goa, has appreciated our efforts in preserving the environment, in spite of organizing, such a huge adrenalin pumping international motoring event, and has welcomed us by being a partner in our efforts to organize the event in Goa, in the years to come.
REgards

Quote:
i see no disrespect in my comment to you earlier. i just see a chronic tendency ti find faults at anything and everything happening around you, cheers mate, all of us are friends and are supposed to stay so, because a common thread binds us all together.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st September 2014 at 19:03. Reason: back-to-post post
whitemm550 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed