Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2012, 18:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Taprobana 4x4 Challenge 2012 (Rain Forest Challenge’ Srilanka)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hey octaneoverdose,

Thanks for sharing these pics! Some of them are really scary to say the least.

I'm wondering about one thing though. I see couple of images where the vehicle is almost submerged completely. My question is: How do they survive after that? Wont the electrical and electronic equipments get damaged after such a stunt?

I may sound foolish to some experienced folks out here but just couldn't figure out how they can recover!!

best,
R-six
Thank you for the pics and write up. The diesels do not need much modifications as long as the Air intake is above water. These are basic machines how the old world war II Jeeps and the Land Rover Series I & II were built. The diesels can wade better as they have the torque to push through water.

The 1st Runner Up Mervyn Lim is running a Suzuki Jimny with a Nissan SR 20 DET. Where his engine control is relocated on the roof plus he is running unichip performance. The brethers, EGR and Oil dipsick is sealed. The breather hose connected to inlet. His engine was running through out the crossing.
LKCRUISERS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 18:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
How much does it take to build such machines in india?

If possible post specifications of these machines.

The whole body is submerged in water? now this is what i call a perfect offroading machines.
The first attached pic is a 1968 Willys CJ5. Axles Toyota LC II - US$ 1000. Toyota 1KZ Engine and Transmission. US$2500. Warn 8274 - US$ 3000. Tires US$ 500 ea. Coil Conversion US$ 2500.

These are approx figures.

There are two ways to build . to win or complete the event. Indika Sanjaya who won the event this year started competing on a Land Rover Series II in 2004 with leaf springs. He has gradually modified to suit his driving since then.

So first to build a vehicle that can complete the event. Then to address the limitation of the same where the driver skills have reached the modifications.

To start it all you need a reliable production class vehicle before considering the mods. The Gypsy is a light vehicle which will not need a powerful winch to recover, but the small engine power has to be applied in the right places. A MM540 is robust, but the power has to be tweaked to carry its own weight, plus will need a good performance winch.

The CRDI engines in the Mahindra is promising but, I would go with a DI with a bigger Turbo, and Injector and Pump modifications. You can get up to 150 hp out of 2.5 diesels if they can be boosted and the fuel manged. Further regardless of power the right final drive ratio has to be matched for the 35 inch tire size.

The Unimog 411 in my yard has a 1.7 litre diesel, and it can pull a prime mover.
LKCRUISERS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 18:32   #18
BHPian

Prolog SS 1 Competition between
IndikaSanjaya & Navin Marapana (Team 105) from Sri Lank
MervinLim and Hamizan Hamid (Team 129) from Malaysia

This is not the full SS but few min of the first SS

matchless is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 22:19   #19
octaneoverdose

Old 14th November 2012, 17:46   #20
octaneoverdose

Old 14th November 2012, 18:01   #21
octaneoverdose

Old 14th November 2012, 19:32   #22
BHPian

Flag off video

Last edited by matchless : 14th November 2012 at 19:33.
Old 16th November 2012, 19:46   #23
octaneoverdose

Old 17th November 2012, 18:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneoverdose View Post
I was surprised to watch the way they recovered no panic both driver and co-driver were cool, the co-driver jumped out from driver window and started the recovery procedures, co-driver was very fast and was planning the next move on the run. Both were brilliant.

It was like an exercise that they do every morning, within 2 to 3 min the land rover was ready to continue the SS and they finished it.

They were using a Gigglepin it was very fast and helped fast recovery.
Old 17th November 2012, 19:14   #25
octaneoverdose

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchless View Post
I was surprised to watch the way they recovered no panic both driver and co-driver were cool, the co-driver jumped out from driver window and started the recovery procedures, co-driver was very fast and was planning the next move on the run. Both were brilliant.

It was like an exercise that they do every morning, within 2 to 3 min the land rover was ready to continue the SS and they finished it.

They were using a Gigglepin it was very fast and helped fast recovery.
Yeah! Really!! Usually when a vehicle rolls over, one tends to lose focus on the camera. It is so sudden and there's so much panic. but with Ranga (team 106) and his co-driver i was almost confident of canning this shot. Im glad I managed it.

Ranga's co-driver Ravindra Sanjeewa is an amazing guy. He's extremely swift and agile. Like you put it rightly @Matchless, he literally thinks on his feet. (too bad I couldnt resist the pun here)

You'll see in another video soon, how this bloke climbs up a tree almost eight feet up the ground, and reaches for the next tree to fasten the straps for the anchor point. I missed shooting the sequence almost... because the tree I am talking about was the one I was leaning against. Luckily we had grabs from another cam. Arriving shortly

Old 20th November 2012, 17:58   #26
octaneoverdose

Press coverage in Local Media
Taprobana 4x4 Challenge 2012 (Rain Forest Challenge’ Srilanka)-islandpaper.jpg

Taprobana 4x4 Challenge 2012 (Rain Forest Challenge’ Srilanka)-daily-news.jpg

Old 22nd November 2012, 23:37   #27
octaneoverdose

Old 26th November 2012, 19:58   #28
octaneoverdose

Old 30th November 2012, 20:21   #29
octaneoverdose

Old 3rd December 2012, 19:00   #30
octaneoverdose

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks