Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 15:25   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore

Details received from Tata Motors as below. Guess you can just turn up at the event (no prior registration necessary).

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-tatasafaristorme.png
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 15:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore

Does it have a section where the check engine light comes on?

jokes apart, will see if I can visit them. any other BHPians?
PS: bit late, no?
Old 9th January 2013, 15:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Kicking up a Storme - The Safari Storme Extreme Drive Bangalore

TML today formally launched the Tata Safari Storme at Lalit Ashok, this was mainly for the dealers and media, the launch coincided with the kick starting of the "Tata Safari Storme Extreme Drive" a simulated 4x4 terrain event, this was held at a ground near HBR Layout (very difficult to locate).

I was one of the lucky few who got an invite from Prerana Motors to accompany their team to drive the Storme over obstacles in the event.

Here are a few of the pictures:

At the Launch
Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-01-1024x768.jpg

These are from the Extreme Drive on terrapod
Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-1.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-2.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-3.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-4.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-5.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-6.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-7.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-8.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-9.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-10.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-11.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-12.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-13.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-14.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-15.jpg

This event is to to be held over the next two days (10th and 11th Jan) at the same venue from 10 am to 8 pm, TML was very happy to host any Tbhpians if they wish to take part.

The drivers are rallyists and take passengers around the obstacle course and then one gets to drive the Storme over a few of the obstacles

It is very dusty, so one need to take care of those Dslrs if he wants to take pics.

Softdrinks and water along with some refreshments will be served to visitors.

If any of you want to go, you can contact Karthik from Prerana Motors and refer my name to him, he will assist you. His number is :9686698062.

The address of the venue is
Ayudha Puja Ground, near Rama Temple, Kacharakanahalli, 1st Block HBR Layout, Bangalore -560084.

Directions from hebbal Flyover:

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...via=1&t=m&z=16

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 9th January 2013 at 16:05.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 13:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Just returned from the Xtreme drive.

Not much crowd, probably due to weekday.

After you sign an indemnity letter, you get a chance to be a passenger when the professional drive the Strome on those simulated conditions. Some of them are really scary.

I am surprised at the articulation, really good.

Seems driver went too off the track, and the result.
Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-img01640201301101138.jpg

It then slipped and sat on the differential guard.
Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-img01641201301101139.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-img01642201301101141.jpg

Finally, got to experience the 360deg drifting. Excellent. Surprised to see such a huge beast doing this stunt.

You have to experience the thrill.

And last, you get a photo frame of yourself with the beast!
Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-img01649201301101206.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-tmp.jpg
mjothi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 14:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Banga

This seems to be a very interesting event. Hope they hold one in Hyderabad as well.
Old 10th January 2013, 15:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Banga

Quote:
This seems to be a very interesting event. Hope they hold one in Hyderabad as well.
Imran, the next destination for the Extreme Drive is indeed Hyderabad, so guess the Hyderabad members can gear up to experience it next week.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 16:02   #7
AVR
BHPian

I went for the event when it happened on the 21-Nov, 2012 in Ahmedabad. Good fun sitting through it and also getting to drive through the entire course except the axle twister ramp. Got talking to the guy who took us around and he said they've had a few tumbles and topples in the Chandigarh/Gurgaon event. Not sure to what extent though.

The Storme does these obstacles quite easily. Hardly seemed to be any concern for the torquey 2.2 and 4L. The sideways ramp is a good experience as haven't really tried something like it in my old Safari purely because the tilt seems a bit too much.

The drivers do really abuse the vehicle and if these Stormes are actually surviving all the events without any major damages, that'd be a good thing in favor of the Storme.

I so wish they had offered a LX 4wd. I would have been driving one today in that case.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 17:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Are these stunts only posible with a 4x4 Storme? Or can one do these with a 4x2 also?

If not, which ones cannot be done by a 4x2?

Also, is it normal for a 4x2 Storme to climb a pretty steep slope (from a standing start - albeit with a runup of about 5-10 meters) in 2nd and even 3rd gear without touching the acelerator (2 people on board)?

Or does it mean there is something wrong (drag) with the clutch setting?
Old 10th January 2013, 18:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are these stunts only posible with a 4x4 Storme? Or can one do these with a 4x2 also?

Almost all these obstacles can be tackled by a 4x2 Storme or the current Safari.

The only obstacle which might pose a problem is the steep climb and descent, not because the incline is too much or too steep, but because it is a fabricated structure and one cannot race up the slope to have momentum, that obstacle was crossed using the low ratio simply for the crawling speed (safety), but if the same incline was on a hill road, I am sure a 4x2 could climb if done in the right speed and run up.

Quote:
Also, is it normal for a 4x2 Storme to climb a pretty steep slope (from a standing start - albeit with a runup of about 5-10 meters) in 2nd and even 3rd gear without touching the acelerator (2 people on board)?

From my experience in my Safari in 4x2 mode, some hill climbs tended to feel unpassable at lower RPMs, but at the correct engine speed and momentum of the vehicle, such inclines can be cleared.

Coming back to the event, I heard quite a few of our members experienced the drive today, looking forward to more pics and adventures.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 10th January 2013 at 18:19.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 11:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

All the obstacles, can be done on a 2WD Safari. Only that the 4x4 with the low ratio gives you better control (no ABC) over rumblers and articulation obstacles. The drift, especially can be done effectively only with a 2WD Safari, or the 4x4 in a 2WD mode.
Quote:
The 2WD might climb the incline, but the real catch is going down. You need a low ratio for adequate control over your vehicle. As, using brakes is not advisable.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 22:42   #11
BHPian

I got a chance to attend the event and is a nice effort from Tata Motors. The people are friendly and the Sales Team is ready to answer your questions. For the extreme drive part, the expert drivers drive the vehicle and explained the driving part of Storme in details. I felt the vehicle can handle the abuse in a well manner. My Son enjoyed every bit of it.

After that I along with one of the Team-BHP member got a chance to take the storme for a quick drive. He already owns a Safari Dicor GX Version.

For me being a sedan driver, the gear shift was a little stiff. Driving dynamics is good. I can't compare it to a sedan and it should not be. You have a good commanding view from Storme

You have a lot of space in first and second row. There were some squeezing and rattling sound from third row seat.

I didn't like the beige color as it gets dirty quickly and was already filled with dirt. Again the color and all are subjective.

I am not a fan of lot of gadgets in a Car. I always looks for functional way. So it has the gadgets that I needed. The one thing I may missed is the cruise control since I drive long trips.

Since I am 5.6", I didn't find the steering wheel issue.

Being an owner of existing dicor, my friend told me that his dicor has smoother gear. Also he said that the front seat is a little hard.

In short, I liked storme as an SUV not as a sedan.

It is easy to drive in city with less turbo lag

Small Turning radius - I will say one of the best

Good Suspension

Good Breaking

Commanding view

Strong Built

Good space in First and second row

Short gear throw

Cons---

Stiffer gear

Squeezing and rattling sound from Third Row

Some ergonomics in fittings - Like hard edges in some points

This are my personal view while doing a short trip.
g_prajeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 00:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
Being an owner of existing dicor, my friend told me that his dicor has smoother gear. Also he said that the front seat is a little hard.

Squeezing and rattling sound from Third Row
@Prajeesh, reason for both - the Storme that was given for TD is also being used for all those "stunts". All three vehicles have seen far more abuse than a regular Safari. Hence these problems.

I drove the white one on Thursday for some time, sitting in both front/driver & rear seats alternatively.
Old 15th January 2013, 11:36   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I attended the event on 10th with fellow bhp'ns condor and jeeva. . And, thank you Lukeskywalker, for letting me know!

There were three Safari Strome's and 6 off-road obstacles.

1. The Rumblers:

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-dscn8625-copy.jpg

The Safari had to navigate over some logs put up in the track. You didn't absolutely need the 4x4 here, but still low ratio enabled the driver to just crawl through the logs, which means, less stress for the axles, suspension and more comfy for the passengers. However, I might have liked the safari to crawl a bit more slower, with no ABC. Maybe cause of my Jeep!

2. The 45deg Incline and Decent:

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-451.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-45.jpg

This was also done in 4x4 low, with no ABC. The track had enough traction, so, it could also be done in 2WD with brakes while coming down. But, again, 4x4 'L' did it cooly.

3. The sea-saw:

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-sea-saw1.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-sea-saw3.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-sea-saw2.jpg

This is one thing that I have never done in my life. It was like going up a steep climb and then, immediately going steep down. However, in the Safari, all the while, it was stationary! The Sea-saw was fun!

4. The Articulation Obstacle:

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-articulation.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-articulation1.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-articulation2.jpg

With rear LSD's, this was where the Safari truly showed its color as an Off-Road vehicle. Even with one of the front wheel and one of the rear wheel in air, the Safari differentials were not left helplessly open. It just crawled through! This IMO, will not be possible in a Jeep with open differentials. Well, would be definitely possible the Jeep way (momentum) even with 2WD, but, the Strome, made it look eaassyyy. IMO, The articulation, considering a very good handling SUV, was good.

5. Dwindler:

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-dwinler.jpg

Here, two wheels of the Strome were put on a ramp. Tata called this the Dwindler.

6. The 45 degree climb, sideways:

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-45side.jpg

For a tall SUV, the Safari did well here. I guess Tata was trying to showcase the sidewise roll over angle. However, it was good. The drivers also did a good job, by keeping the vehicle stationary for a minute, so that the passengers could sink into the feeling.

7. Finally, the drift and doughnut!

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-drift2.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-drift.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-drift1.jpg

This was really fun!. Slot into 2WD, turn the steering, and floor the accelerator! What impressed me most is the stability of the Strome. Even during sudden steering inputs during the doughut to do it the other way, the Strome was composed! Niceee...

------------------------------------------------------------------

After which, we took an elaborate test drive, which also helped me understand the low ratio of the Safari, and how it could be used on-road to cross dividers! Coming back, we got a nice photo of all of us, with the Strome.

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-photo1.jpg

Experience the Tata Safari Storme : Terra Pod event @ Gurgaon: EDIT: Now in Bangalore-phoyo.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 21:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Wondering if the driving in the Delhi event was in 2WD or 4WD - considering the loose soil there.

Also, would the Storme climb that gradient in 2WD, with acclerator input, or will it not ?
Old 16th September 2013, 19:24   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Also, would the Storme climb that gradient in 2WD, with acclerator input, or will it not ?
Condor Ji, yes the strome 2WD can easily do that gradient without any clutch slip, IF sufficient traction is there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks