Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 10:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Offroad Carnival 2012 - A Late report

Sharath,

Better late than never. I remember having a chat with you about the issue with the spotting on trail 2.

Thanks for taking photos of my Thar - since I was driving, hardly had any photos.

Sadly I will not be in town so won't be participating this year, but looking forward to meeting sometime when you are in Bangalore next.

Cheers,
Manas
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 10:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sharath fantastic report as always pal and made for a good read.

Quote:
So I moved ahead in the trail and made my peace with him. After I came home, I got his email address from a friend and sent him a detailed explanation and formal apology. I never got a reply, may be it went to his junk mail folder. But I felt some closure only after that.
Hats off truly a gentleman, it's seldom that you come across people like this who make an extra effort.
rjstyles69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 21:33   #18
BHPian

Sharath,

You missed my 540 ... Grrr.
It was being driven by my wife. She was the last one to clear the treacherous trail 4 in one go. I know she is a good offroader but I strongly suspect 4.88 ratio to be the culprit here, as Madhkris was also able to cross it pretty much after the terrain was very badly spoilt. As the trails were fresh, many a Thar and 550s,540s and Gypsys went up without a complaint, after the 10th vehicle, the trail was getting more and more difficult and we set up a winch point volunteered by Lambda.

Andy

Last edited by Grace : 17th January 2013 at 21:33. Reason: splchk
Old 19th January 2013, 12:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
A cleanly modded Gypsy, I never understood that logo though.

Attachment 1038706
I believe it's the logo of the modifier, the name "Motormind" is more visible branded above the grille in this pic of yours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Great job in the image department, by the way...
Batfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 12:10   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvivek View Post
In fact, I was using brakes and clutch too, too often in the first 1 hr or so. I started gaining confidence on the 4l and crawl capability of my vehicle only after this obstacle. It was a very good learning that way.
Nothing beats a hard core trail and company of fellow offroaders, when you want to learn quickly. The fundamentals I was taught in 2007 in my first training event, is still etched into my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvivek View Post
Thanks for the lovely video. Its a collectible for me to relish as my first professional offroad event.BAOTR2013 here I come...
Couple photos in the last trail are also of your Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Well composed, crisp, with a story telling character, is how I would describe your photography.
Thanks. However, I was very disappointed with the photographs. For some stupid reason, I set both my cameras in JPEG mode. So I lost lot of details when it came to post-processing. This time I will be more careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
For a moment, I thought I was caught in a time warp ... the Bangalore OTR is going to happen next weekend, and the OTR report is already out . Then, read the title again !
Well, I figured it will be a good to post the report before the 2013 event. It will be more confusing if I post 2012 report after 2013 event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
You missed my 540 ... Grrr.
It was being driven by my wife. She was the last one to clear the treacherous trail 4 in one go. I know she is a good offroader but I strongly suspect 4.88 ratio to be the culprit here, as Madhkris was also able to cross it pretty much after the terrain was very badly spoilt.
Well, we were never in the same trail, so I could never catch your jeep in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
Great job in the image department, by the way...
Thanks. But I am not too happy. I consider this average compared to my other OTR images. I should have used raw as usual.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 15:47   #21
BHPian

Yes Indeed. I feel so bad that I am not part of 2013 OTR . I tool lived the OTR once more in my mind and heart. It was a great one even though the trail was unforgiving for the vehicles.

My BIL and me were in the classic named BEAST and it did all the obstacles without much problem. Yes the stage 3 obstacle tried to stall us but some how came out of it unscathed.

Babu
Baburajs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 13:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now we enter Trail 2

To be continued...
Hi Samurai, this thread is about 7-8 years old and look so different from the current off-road scene in bangalore. You can see the NEW THAR's across the city but any other vehicles that you were using in 2013 are rare, most of them are vintage now.

I am also surprised that the new boys with THAR have a lot of chatter about small niggles on the vehicle. It's unmatchable to the kind of problems you guys would have been facing with very little electronics.

I am new to OTR, bought my THAR 2020 in April '21 - AX AC D MT

I am exploring all the possible trails around bangalore to learn, also going to far off places for 2-3 days of off roading is pretty tough given the work schedule.

By any chance if you can find the google maps location, can you please share the same, I would love to explore this trail.
ishanvyas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 15:05   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishanvyas View Post
Hi Samurai, this thread is about 7-8 years old and look so different from the current off-road scene in bangalore.
It is exactly 10 years ago, it is about the Jan 2012 event. Those were different times, we could tolerate damages lot more because the vehicles were old and custom built for offroading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishanvyas View Post
By any chance if you can find the google maps location, can you please share the same, I would love to explore this trail.
This is a private land owned by a politician who is in news lately for doing a controversial trek. So you can't trespass, even if you have the coordinates.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th January 2022 at 15:11.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks