Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Off-Roading with a Hovercraft @ ECR

That would have been WOW!! I can definetely drive down to Chennai for this. Please Loop me in for this experience.
After watching only videos and in How is it Made Shows, it would be great to step on it mate.
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
OK sir. You tell me kitna door jayegi and I will do the math.

Kitna Door Jayegi(in kms)/25 = Kitna deti hain

BTW just thought of a couple of more things:-
What fuel are you using?
Under ideal conditions, how fast can it go?
We want to do this test / trials for our stats. But like I said earlier we can't find a suitable place along the seashore to do this. But if someone can suggest a length of shoreline near Chennai then I could tow the craft to the place and we could do all the tests there.

We use petrol for this mixed with oil. 5ltrs:100ml.

Normal Cruise Speed: 21mph / 32kmph
Top Speed: 40mph / 64kmph
All the other subject to operating conditions.
On a full tank of 25ltrs it could theoretically run for upto 32miles or 2hrs.
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Interesting stuff man. Wonder what the feeling would be to ride this without having to look for ruts, water puddles and everything else that can be thrown at it.

What about the safety gear, does it have any at all apart from the regular helmet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
We want to do this test / trials for our stats. But like I said earlier we can't find a suitable place along the seashore to do this. But if someone can suggest a length of shoreline near Chennai then I could tow the craft to the place and we could do all the tests there.
Your best bet would be to drive along ECR and find an isolated spot to test this.
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

A hovercraft? Wow !!!

Now that's a different kind of fun and I'm positive it is very addictive.

Do you have plans to offer joy rides on the beach to people, like the jet ski's are rented out in Goa?

I'm curious to know how much would this retail at. Do share the price and the specs.

An official team bhp test drive would complete this thread.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd April 2013 at 11:17.
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

I'm curious to know how much would this retail at. Do share the price and the specs.
Please read carefully from start, it retails at around 30 lakhs. i am sure you was gawping pics in detail

Shubhendra
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

A true off-roader even when it is on road. I would like to drive one. I think some resort on the west coast had a Hovercraft ride as an attraction. Dont remember which
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
What about the safety gear, does it have any at all apart from the regular helmet ?
No Safety gear other than the killcord that one has to attach to the wrist while driving. Somewhat similar to the cord on a treadmill it will abruptly stop the engine if pulled with a jerk. One of my colleagues had a nasty tumble when he tried to turn the craft without banking into it. The craft turned one way and he fell out of the craft the other way.

Your handle would suit me buddy. But the Mods don't allow a change of handle.

Note from Support - Please use the EDIT button to add more content to your post (within 30 mins of creating the first post) instead of submitting back-to-back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd April 2013 at 19:05. Reason: Posts merged
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Can it operate on surfaces which are not level? Like, say, a road which is cambered and banked.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th April 2013, 09:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

^ I don't think so, Sutripta!
For a Hovercraft to maintain it's relative position on a cambered or banked surface, it will either need to have Jets on the sides or it's fan will need to be swung around on a pivot to provide both a sideways and a forward thrust. Even if these were to happen, the craft would be extremely difficult to handle. It may be able to do short banked stretches on the basis of momentum alone, but it will continuously be slipping sideways. A very dangerous situation for the driver and occupants, IMO.

While I TOTALLY AGREE with the O.P. (Aabid) that a hovercraft is a brilliant vehicle for exploring swamps, marshlands and other similar (but Flat) regions, it can hardly be used for any Off-Roading at all.
Hence, the title of this thread is Misleading.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 10:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^ I don't think so, Sutripta!
While I TOTALLY AGREE with the O.P. (Aabid) that a hovercraft is a brilliant vehicle for exploring swamps, marshlands and other similar (but Flat) regions, it can hardly be used for any Off-Roading at all.
Hence, the title of this thread is Misleading.
Agree with you 100% but I couldn't find a suitable existing title or thread within the forum to post this. So I left it to the mods.

Sorry for the back to back posts, done in a hurry. My comment was directed at Mallumowgli. I like his handle and I wanted to say that it would fit me perfectly.

Last edited by aabidansari : 4th April 2013 at 10:42. Reason: addendum to the post.
Old 4th April 2013, 21:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
it can hardly be used for any Off-Roading at all.
Hi,
Was pointing out (in an non offensive way) that let alone off-roading, a hovercraft is difficult to operate even on good quality roads!

Hovercrafts really show their mettle on swamps, marshes, and other shallow waterbodies, esp. if those have lots of flora.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 23:33   #27
BHPian

Hi,
Will the Nylon skirts brush against the terrain during usage? Is it durable that way? Especially on rough terrains?

How high can it go on full throttle (vertical height off the ground)? Can it exceed the nylon skirt's bottom?
Old 6th April 2013, 04:26   #28
BHPian

I do not see any number plate(s) ! Does one need to take the hovercraft to the RTO (Regional Transport Office) and register it?

http://www.tn.gov.in/services/rto.html

http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/taxtables.html
Old 4th May 2013, 17:57   #29
BHPian

After reading the present article, I would like to know more about the HC. As Oliver Twist would say, Please Sir, I want to ride the HC and if possible own it.
Could you let me know more about your craft.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:29   #30
BHPian

Okay, okay, . To answer some of your queries -
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Hi,
Will the Nylon skirts brush against the terrain during usage? Is it durable that way? Especially on rough terrains?

How high can it go on full throttle (vertical height off the ground)? Can it exceed the nylon skirt's bottom?
The skirts do brush against the terrain. However, if the throttle is increased there is sufficient lift to clear the ground. But that is not an issue at all. The skirts are very durable and get damaged not by erosion but rather by getting cut or torn if it gets snagged on some sharp or jagged objects. Spare skirts are available and can be replaced in segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
I do not see any number plate(s) ! Does one need to take the hovercraft to the RTO (Regional Transport Office) and register it?
I don't know about this buddy. I guess there would be some sort of registration required. If I find out I shall post about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_m0 View Post
After reading the present article, I would like to know more about the HC. As Oliver Twist would say, Please Sir, I want to ride the HC and if possible own it.
Could you let me know more about your craft.
Just what exactly do you want to know Ashwin. Would be more than glad to give you the info. As far as the ride is concerned, I am trying to talk to various people to see if I can offer it to the adventure enthusiasts on hire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
@abidansari,

There is a lot of queries on HC and you need to answer this. It is a crime to talk and show something on TBHP and not reply to our eager questions. Mods will decide the punishment.
There.....queries answered. Sorry guys, didn't mean to be uptight about this. Was tied up with a lot of work otherwise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks