Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...

S01D03 - Rajmachi

Thanks a lot to HG, Monaro, Manish, Karan and Kedar for a wonderful experience. Apologies to the 2K+ people who have already gone through this thread and my posts being late. Mods please excuse the back to back posts as I am sure that I will be using the 30 snaps limit.

It all started with a group of like-minded people who cherish pushing their respective machines to the limit. This event was no different. It had its own share of fun, slips, clutch smell and what not.

Started from Aurangabad at 1600 hours on Saturday 29 June 2013 and anchored in Amchi Mumbai at 2200 hours. Had some (surprising) lousy food at Oye Punjabi en route. Took a strategically planned 6 hour sleep as there was a big day planned ahead and my first organised off road event. Did not want to be drousy all through.

Now this is the best part of it all - everyone reached on time and a standing ovation to all for the same. Started off from Airoli Toll Gate @ 0600 hours. Drive to Kamat's Lonavala was wonderful. Coming from a drought affected area, greenery, drizzle, low clouds, fogs and 22*C temperature is pleasing. Kedar and Monaro joined us from Lonavala and Pune respectively. Quick breakfast and and fun begins.

Entered the route to Rajmachi from Dela Adventures. There was a group of lady traffic police recruits on a march. Hundreds of them. Everyone is wondering what are so many Fortuners doing here at this hour! You should have seen the look on their faces. I had an inferiority complex - "focus man - focus" I thought.

The starting trail was concreted. I never wanted that. I should have been here last year and maybe things would have been better I wondered. I wanted mud, rocks, slush, rivers and this was just the opposite. Have faith in God - maybe there are such things further after all. And there was - more than what I wanted - and even more backbone breaking than I thought.

So the concrete ends, and gravel started. Then the rocks started. Then the sharp rocks started. Then came the first slushy slope. It was very small in comparison to the monster slope ahead. "Ha-ha" here comes the fun. Mine is a VSC 2012 Fortuner, this is nothing for me. Plain jane H and 1 gear and I started slowly to reach the edge and brake - wait - Brake ! God Brakes ! ! Locked the steering to right but it will still go left ! I literally slipped - with no traction, no friction and no steering for at least 1 meter ! SO much fun! Time to pull up socks and not to take things for granted !

Moved ahead and then came the first river crossing. Asked Guderian for instructions. No HL, no nothing, Just 1st Gear and move. Crossed it in a jiffy. No drama here and then came the monster slope.

Wait.

Enough words for now - let the pictures do the talking.

Parked at the Expressway Truck Bye for some snaps and a time check !
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-3.jpg

Parked at the Expressway Truck Bye for some snaps and a time check !
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-5.jpg

Karan and his monster
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-6.jpg

Scenery 1
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-2.jpg

Scenery 2
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-4.jpg

Partners in the upcoming crime - Karan, Akhil, Guderian and Manish
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-8.jpg

Scenery 3
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-9.jpg

Breakfast at Kamat's Lonavala. Self shot from Sony DSC-W220. Glare on the left comes from flash reflecting from the tissue paper glass. L-R Akhil, Guderian, Manish, Me and Karan
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-1.jpg

Concrete roads end and this is the gravel part.
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-10.jpg

Lined up for a quick brief and some snaps
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-11.jpg

Scenery 4
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-12.jpg

First obstacle - this is the effect of a landslide that had happened recently. It was tough to maneuver through but not impossible. Everyone helped each other and also the Ghuspait Pajero Sport was guided through.
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-13.jpg
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-14.jpg
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-15.jpg
Ghuspait Pajero Sport is narrower than Fortuner. He came through in a breeze.
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-16.jpg

Route map en route
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-17.jpg

This stream followed the entire route
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-18.jpg

Karan at the Jungle trail
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-19.jpg

Manish enjoying some slush. Apologies for the shake, it was difficult to stand still on the slush, so much that the image stabilization on my canon lens did not work!
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-20.jpg

Halted before the first river crossing. Waiting for the bikers to go through. First in line was Monaro:
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-21.jpg

Next came in Karan
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-22.jpg

This is Manish and his friend Akhil
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-23.jpg

My turn !
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-24.jpg

Kedar joining the party
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-25.jpg

Make way for Guderian !
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-26.jpg

And this is the monster slushy slope I was talking about. Monaro, Karan with his brand new set of Conti AT's, Manish with his Dunlops HT and I made it through. Then it rained heavily and some bikers ruined the tracks. This is where Guderian tried a lot and the wheels and steering had a mind of their own and HG could not do anything. One cannot defeat physics and all you need in off roading is traction and momentum. Both were not available. It was a wise decision to back off as there was no point in burning clutch and damaging the gearbox. Remember the Ghuspait Pajero Sport - made it through as it was wearing Apollo Hawks AT and had clocked only 1.7K kms. Then comes one uncleji in JH registered Land Rover Discovery 4 who commented on lack of skill and incompatible Fortuner for such a mere nonsense slope !. He went ahead, and huffed, and puffed, and tried, and then realised that there was too much weight which actually Monaro and Karan told him about, down came the passengers and then again uncle huffed, and puffed, and tried, and then realised that it was better to shut up, turn around and run away. Akhil has the videos and requesting Manish to upload them please.
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-27.jpg

This is the amount of mud that had a mirror effect on Guderian's shoes
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-28.jpg

No this is not Paneer Butter Masala with dried and fried bay leaves
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-29.jpg

Now that some of us were not able to conquer the monster slope, we all decided to go back. This is the trail that we used:
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-30.jpg

And the customary derrier shot:
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-31.jpg

End of upload limit and to be continued...
Ahmed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:10   #32
BHPian

...S01D03 Continued

All smiles after a great day
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-32.jpg

Tripod shot 1
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-33.jpg

Tripod shot 2
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-34.jpg

Karan proposed the vada pao offer. We relished the same on Rajmachi Point at Khandala
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-35.jpg

Karan again. Shot from Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens. This basic telephoto lens gives good results at times. A Hoya UV filter is a must though.
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-36.jpg

Manish and his beast.
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-37.jpg

Monaro reacting to the LR D4 Uncle's Fiasco
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-38.jpg

Akhil - you just got snapped dude! Candid shot
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-39.jpg

Monaro again. Wanted to capture the rain drops as well... almost there...
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-40.jpg

Akhil again on Manish's ride
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-41.jpg

LR-D4 was the topic here again
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-42.jpg

Planning for Wadapav.
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-43.jpg

Karan's Monster - rear 3Q
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-44.jpg

Guderian signing off
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-45.jpg

After Kedar and Guderian left - time for some fun which was left. This is me with the donuts: I am being honest here, I was hell scared to do this after seeing Manish just drift away to glory! Hats off Manish - you indeed have b*lls of steel
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-46.jpg

Manoro's Turn
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-47.jpg

Manish
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-48.jpg

Karan
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-49.jpg

Scenery 5
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-50.jpg

Scenery 6
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-51.jpg

Manish's beast posing for a photoshoot
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-52.jpg

Megaladon - that's how an SUV should look. Mean and dirty !
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-53.jpg

Scenery 7
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-54.jpg

Videos please now gang ...
Ahmed is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:56   #33
BHPian

That's Admiral passing through a landslide,

Ahmed going down the slope,

kedarwalke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Cool article with some amazing write ups(as expected!).

Rated it 5 stars and must say that the pictures are awesome.

Kedar, have you changed your tail lamps to a different model? if so, can you please post the cost, make and close up snaps please.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:51   #35
BHPian

Excellent write up and awesome photos. I can't wait to hit this trail , not sure how a 1990 Mahindra 4*4 will climb this, Can't wait to check it out. You mentioned that the cops are not allowing vehicles to pass? Any suggestions how to clear this hurdle, is there any specific timings they are there or any other work around? Because I am sure this trail is only going to get busier in the weeks to come.
Vishbull_6157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 08:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Cool article with some amazing write ups(as expected!).

Rated it 5 stars and must say that the pictures are awesome.

Kedar, have you changed your tail lamps to a different model? if so, can you please post the cost, make and close up snaps please.
Hi getsurya,
Many thanks for the words of appreciation and rating, on behalf of the bunch !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
Excellent write up and awesome photos. I can't wait to hit this trail , not sure how a 1990 Mahindra 4*4 will climb this, Can't wait to check it out. You mentioned that the cops are not allowing vehicles to pass? Any suggestions how to clear this hurdle, is there any specific timings they are there or any other work around? Because I am sure this trail is only going to get busier in the weeks to come.
Hi Vishbull 6157,

Gracias for the kind words - from the team !

To my mind comes the fact that the Mahindra 4X4 jeep would be able to do it very easily thanks to its light weight and should clamber up like a mountain goat. Just ensure that the tyres are a just a wee decent. But doesn't really need to be mud chomping Godzillas.

About the timing it's best that you get there very early - by about 0700 hrs or so and get started. And no its not the cops but forest dept guys and sometimes village vigilantes and they get there late. And once you get on the trail and move on, they can't do much about it on return.
Further, if you can manage, best done on a weekday. On Sundays the trail resembles a village fair !
On weekdays the vigilantes would also be missing.
Have fun.

Last edited by Guderian : 4th July 2013 at 08:56.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 16:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

And some final snaps and vignettes of the OTR from my side !

The two who decided to turn back. After locating the spot for the photoshoot. Awaiting the rest:
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-dsc02390.jpg
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-dsc02391.jpg

- Like Faust, Monaro lost his sole ! But it was no deal with the devil or Mephistopheles. Or was it ? Monaro & his Fortuner was able to clamber up Devil's Back with no difficulty. And while helping Manish to go up the incline and stomping around the slush, he realised that his sole had departed.
And he had to ask a comely lass from the Pajero to give him a hairband. The lassie was rather surprised looking at Monaro's head. Not too much of a hirsuitical profusion there - but then the mystery was solved for her when Monaro bent down and tried to re-attach the sole back to his shoe using the hairband. Monaro promised his sole to the Devil and hence he was able to go up the incline nary a drop of sweat, me thinks.

- All the fine snaps from Guderian's camera almost didn't get taken. Prior to the OTR run, at the breakfast table the camera and the hat were left in the care of the team as I stepped to go to the loo for a well earned bout of bladder squeezing. On return found the team, standing outside the restaurant, all ready to depart for the trail and the last points of the equipment or the lack of it being discussed with the first few legs turning towards the vehicles. That's when a honourable breakfasteer came running out and mentioned to us that someone's camera was left behind. I looked at the others, wondering as to who could it be who was rich enough to leave a camera behind without a care in the world. And then the breakfasteer mentioned that it was lying on the table along with a smelly old hat. Mine !
By the time I collected it from the table & got back, the crowd of my good friends went into a profuse apology mode. Fine friends these I thought, and worse, what if they forgot critical points of driving at the tight corners of the trail ? Nice, comfortable thoughts to begin the drive. And they too had the same thoughts about me and my forgetfulness I was told later !

- Wistful looks on our faces as we watched the Pajero dash up the slope of the Devil's Back with not a iota of doubt in its mind. And all of us conferring later as to the reason why it could do it so effortlessly. Torque, power, suspension, age of the driver, girls accompanying them were all offered as the reason. Finally settled on the brand new tyres as the acceptable reason - much to the relief of all. Yeah right - there should be some good, plausible reason for a product from another brand doing marginally better than ours. Harrrumphhh !

- The sense of foreboding when the Discovery 4 began its climb, knowing fully well that the Chump driving it would get down after the conquest and rub our noses in the mud till there was nothing left of it. And the huge relief when it wallowed like a whale and couldn't move an inch after a point. It was not restrain and but the sheer slippery surface of the incline that prevented the troop from breaking into a wild jig !

And my last snap - Of the line up from a different angle:
Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-dsc02400.jpg

Au revoir, my friends, till the next drive !

Last edited by Guderian : 4th July 2013 at 17:04.
Guderian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 19:08   #38
BHPian

Herr Guderian,

The lost sole..
Well, after the gut wrenching climb over the Devil's Back, that sole did give up!
But not the soul to climb every mountain, swim every sea...

Rajmachi remained unconquered this time.
next time, we will see the other end.

BTW we still need to look under the hood of that Pajero Sport, for all that its got!

A big shout out to all me mates who were a part of this excursion - HG, Karan, Manish, Kedar & Ahmed bhai!

cheers..

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 4th July 2013 at 19:22.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 20:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

So old shoes were the main reason for the 2 Fortuners not being able to climb up? In mud, all that LL torque won't help at all unless the tyres are right.

How did the Conti's perform compared to the stock Dunlops? I know they were new, but was there a difference?

Something to keep in mind - my tyres have done 50K++, so I shouldn't try anything too adventurous in mud or slush.
Old 5th July 2013, 06:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
1. The lost sole...

2. Rajmachi remained unconquered this time...

3. BTW we still need to look under the hood of that Pajero Sport, for all that its got...
Hey Monaro,
1. You are solely responsible for that. The look on that girl's face when you asked her for the hairband was priceless ! That alone made the OTR worth everything for me.

2. Oh no. Rajamchi was indeed conquered by you guys who went up. We just decided to go back not wanting to strain to the limit.

3. Nothing under the hood. Just in the wheel wells. Better treads. Stick to the official party line ! And the fact as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
So old shoes were the main reason for the 2 Fortuners not being able to climb up? In mud, all that LL torque won't help at all unless the tyres are right.
Hi Nilanjan,
That is correct. But it was only my reason. My tyres were tired and spinning away like potters' wheels. Kedar didn't attempt the slope thanks to the crowd build up and the need to get back in time for a prior commitment. His tyres were/are good and could have gone up easily.
Right said Fred about the LL/HL/or any L being useless in mud and clay. Traction is God.

Last edited by Guderian : 5th July 2013 at 06:06.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 11:15   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
And the clay was partly removed from the carpet in the cabin by a wet cloth and the remanent allowed to dry which will be dry scraped with a brush next week and vacuumed.
Where as my matting got pretty much VIP service at home & now is hanging around sun bathing

Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-photo.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Manish and his beast.
Attachment 1105408
IMO his Fortuner should have been named as "Manish" instead of him, then it would have been more apt to call " Manish and his beast"

Last edited by karan561 : 6th July 2013 at 11:17.
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 21:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

And the final videos of the escapades on the Devil's Back at Rajmachi are here !

All thanks to Manish (bhp) who received it from his friend who got it from his friend and his friend who's a friend of...you get the drift and hence the delay of the delay in the delay etc.

Admiral's attempt at proving that politicians are slippery as the clay on Devil's Back. In the end it was concluded that both were equally slippery & politicians being additionally - slimy.

And here is -
1. The Pajero Sport ambling up the slope effortlessly. Yeah, yeah thanks to better tyres.

2. The Land Rover Discovery - 4's moment of sorrow - Part I.
Almost made it - but not quite !

And the Discovery 4's final surrender to the slope:

Adios !

Last edited by Guderian : 7th July 2013 at 22:02.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 23:12   #43
BHPian

Wow guys! What an outing! Only sitting and watching it gave me so much thrill, cant imagine what it must've been for you guys out there! Nice to see the mammoths in their natural habitat (Referring to the Fortuners and the trail okay.)
The sedan-owner in me can only manage a "Sigh, Someday".
Btw, the LR guy tasted his own medicine? It was only about skillful driving here I guess, otherwise LR D4 should have made it ya?
powerband_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 10:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerband_rider View Post
Wow guys! What an outing!

Btw, the LR guy tasted his own medicine? It was only about skillful driving here I guess, otherwise LR D4 should have made it ya?
Hi powerband_rider,
Thank you. Yes it was a thrilling drive.

To be fair to the Discovery-4 driver - if you carefully see the clips you'll notice that the Discovery's tyres too were absolutely mirrored and shiny and hence no grip at all and spinning away to glory. To my mind he was also done in by the tyres. Must be a well/long run set of tyres or at some point of time when changing the tyres he must have opted for H/Ts instead of A/Ts. Couldn't latch on to its specs.
Old 21st July 2013, 23:04   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
To be fair to the Discovery-4 driver - if you carefully see the clips you'll notice that the Discovery's tyres too were absolutely mirrored and shiny and hence no grip at all and spinning away to glory. To my mind he was also done in by the tyres. Must be a well/long run set of tyres or at some point of time when changing the tyres he must have opted for H/Ts instead of A/Ts. Couldn't latch on to its specs.
Was at the JLR showroom a couple of days back & had the opportunity to have a closer look at the Discovery 4 tires;

Fortuners, Clay & Art of Pottery at Rajmachi Trail...-photo-1.jpg

^ These were Good Year Wrangler HP's, they are highway all season type

Last edited by karan561 : 21st July 2013 at 23:09.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed