Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:30   #16
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: When Offroaders Chill at Kodachadri

I visited Kodachadari yesterday and can relate to every word that Samurai has said. We did it on bikes. 3 stops in all on the way up to give our air cooled engines some rest. We were hoping that coming down would be like suicide but we managed it pretty well.

On a different note - for people wondering what all life forms inhabit these areas here is one of the more beautiful specimens -

Blue Bottle Butterfly
When Offroaders Chill at Kodachadri-wp_000287.jpg

There is a butterfly sanctuary just before entering Kollur from Kundapura side. Wanted to visit that too but I thought of keeping some things for making the next visit interesting.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 15:30   #17
BHPian

Samurai,
Great write up and Nice pictures.
I had trekked to this place in 1994 and your travelogue really brought back memories of this awesome place !
Thanks for sharing
srikrishna717 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 13:58   #18
BHPian

Thanks Samurai San, for the Visual treat.

This is how we noobs get stung by 4x4 off roading.

Had a plan to go for Force Gurkha, went for a 90Hp Punto Instead.

Now waiting to accumulate to enough Vitamin M to buy a Thar DI .

That being said, thanks again for the Share
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Visited Kodachadri recently. The trail there is pretty much what we see in the pics posted by Samurai. A person who has not visited the place may think that the local jeep drivers are trying to monopolize the route, but they are not entirely un-justified. The path is narrow. With the kind of drivers we come across - specifically, people who over-estimate their own capabilities - letting everyone to drive up will surely create a disaster. Traffic will be blocked more often than not. The initial stages of this problem is already being seen with guys trying to go up on bikes. At sharp turns, they stop to let the jeeps pass. What they dont realise is that they often stop exactly at the point where it causes problems to the jeeps to pass.

While there is some monopolization today, at least the traffic keeps moving. It is like a necessary evil.

One more good thing is that there is Forest Dept check post coming up. Hope they help control things and reduce pollution / trash on the hill.
Old 31st March 2016, 16:24   #20
BHPian

Hello! I have planned an off-road ride to kodachadri. We are going by bikes.
One of my friend is planning on getting his Audi Q5 for the climb. Will it be able to complete the climb without any problems? Will the locals allow him to take the car for the climb?
Old 31st March 2016, 18:43   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Freak_911 View Post
One of my friend is planning on getting his Audi Q5 for the climb. Will it be able to complete the climb without any problems? Will the locals allow him to take the car for the climb?
I have answered it here. It is a matter of convincing the locals drivers that you won't get stuck and block the business traffic.
Old 31st March 2016, 19:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Freak_911 View Post
Hello! I have planned an off-road ride to kodachadri. We are going by bikes.
We had been to Kodachadri last December, the roads are narrow with big ruts which can beach even the jeeps if you do not know the line.
I strongly recommend not to take the Audi up there. It can cause serious damage.
If your friend still insisting on driving his Q5, better do a recce in the local jeep and then decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks