Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 11:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advanced Desert Driving Course in Dubai, UAE - A Report

Thanks to all for the appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is an amazing experience you have shared!!
Thanks. Would love to do this some day. wish the Rupee was a bit more powerful!
Tell me about it! Since the time we planned the trip and actually went there, the dirham went up by 2.5 rupees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Super! Thanks for sharing and request if you can share some of the techniques here. This is now on my bucket list!
Sure will share them in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Congratulations for the whole experience! It's a very rare opportunity. Must be something.
I am surprised as how decently priced the whole package is. 1100 AED is approx Rs18000. Not bad, i say.

I hope to do a similar thing, but only with a Merc G-wagon!
Do they offer that vehicle?
Nope. Only the toyota land cruiser. But they have an option where you can get your own vehicle and they would cut their fees (don't know by how much). So if you can hire a G wagon, you are in business.

The problem is that our license doesn't let you drive on the roads. Thus, you will not be able to rent a vehicle with our license nor will you be able to drive till the desert. Plus, insurance for desert driving will be high and not be covered with regular rent policy. So you will need to take a special insurance. Thus, only way is if a local friend can hire the vehicle on his name and you pay for insurance.

Also their land cruisers have a roll cage and trainer brakes so that added safety margin is also there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
What a brilliant move! I have been visiting Dubai so many times and it did not strike me to do something like this. I will do so at the very next opportunity I get to visit Dubai.
Regards,
Ashok
Yes, it's a must do and a lot of fun. But you need to know a bit of offroad else they will not make you do the big dunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Brilliant, Need to applaud you on this.

I myself was planning this but after an year from now. Anyways you saved me the R&D part with clear cut write up.

Loved the pics as well. And as an additional info, I think all the driving schools in Dubai under Road Transport Authority has this course, at least most of them.

Cheers
Thanks. Most RTA approved schools requires you to bring your own vehicle which is an issue for Indian tourists. I didn't come across any course where they supply you with one but if they do, then nothing like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hats off for your narration. Rating it 5 stars

Can you shed some light on this International Driving Permit? How is it different from an Indian International Driving Permit?
It's the same. I meant the International Driving Permit issued in India. They accept this permit to drive in the desert or on the Dubai autodrome but not on the public roads.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 8th January 2014 at 11:25.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 11:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

First of all congrats on your certification "I4WDTA Certified Trainer".

Intersting information. And looks worth every AED spent. Could you please elaborate on the International Driving License part? Indian International License is not valid?
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 12:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
First of all congrats on your certification "I4WDTA Certified Trainer".

Intersting information. And looks worth every AED spent. Could you please elaborate on the International Driving License part? Indian International License is not valid?
The international driving permit issued by the India is not valid in to drive on public roads in UAE as far as i know. There's more information on this thread which says that you can drive if you are on a tourist visa. I'm not too sure about that and suggest you ask the embassy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...thread-19.html
Old 8th January 2014, 12:22   #19
Team-BHP Support

Nice thread and great captures. Seems like you have loads of fun in the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Then i had to follow the technique to self extricate myself. Wonderful technique it was though my left leg and arms were sore after that but the vehicle came you easily. The technique requires a lot of patience. I'm hoping i can try this technique in muck as well. They also explained the technique to use if one is driving an automatic vehicle.
What is this technique? Great if you can share this.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 12:48   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nice thread and great captures. Seems like you have loads of fun in the sand.

What is this technique? Great if you can share this.
When we get stuck in mud what do we do? 1st gear > rev > reverse gear > rev > repeat so that the vehicle goes a bit front back and the rocking motion and added momentum will get you out.

What they say is that this revving and inadvertent clutch slippage with it will cause damage to the clutch. So this what they suggested:
  • First shift from H to L.
  • If you are stuck facing uphill, select reverse gear and if facing downhill, select 1st gear. Always let gravity help you. If on flat ground select where you have more space to back up or go in front after getting unstuck.
  • Then depress the clutch and start turning the wheel in one direction. Let's say left and immediately release the clutch. No accelerator input. Since you are stuck, the wheel will barely move to the side.
  • Keep repeating this. press and release while giving constant turning pressure to one side.
  • You will probably need to do it 30-40 times till you reach full lock on the left.
  • Once at full lock, start same process by starting to turn right.
  • By the time you reach straight position you will feel the car jumping every time you release the clutch.
  • By the time you reach half way to the right full lock position, the car will jump out of the hole it's dug itself in.
  • If not repeat again.
  • So it's basically just pumping the clutch whilst turning the steering.

My car that was beached till the chassis for the entire length came out in this fashion but my arms and left leg were sore after that.

Hope my explanation made sense.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 13:02   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When we get stuck in mud what do we do?
==========
Indeed and it is just superb info for self recovery! Thanks once again.

Very interesting and definitely should try in mud also to see how it works. Just 2 weeks back i was watching some action in a beach in Kerala and this would have saved atleast one Pajero owner a huge bill
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 13:06   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Forgot to mention about automatics.

Select low and 1st gear in automatics and hold the RPM at 1500 and keep trying to turn the steering. You may need to keep giving jerks on the steering to make it turn.

Haven't seen or tried this technique; this was explained to me.
Old 8th January 2014, 14:08   #23
F50
Senior - BHPian

Great thread and experience Tejas.

Exactly a month back I was in Dubai and went for their touristy Desert Safari. I was observing the way he drove, what lines he took, what gears he used (usually 2nd, rarely used 3rd) Judging a dune is very important.

Initially he wasn't talking much but later opened up. Talked a lot about 4x4 scene in India, engine options, comparison of LC with the likes of Patrol, H3 in the dunes.
F50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 17:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The international driving permit issued by the India is not valid in to drive on public roads in UAE as far as i know. There's more information on this thread which says that you can drive if you are on a tourist visa. I'm not too sure about that and suggest you ask the embassy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...thread-19.html
To Clarify

With the International Driving Permit issued from India, you can drive a "Rental Car" in UAE, provided you are on a "Visit Visa"

"Rental Car & Visit Visa are the key which meanse, that you can't drive a privately/individual owned vehicle and once you become a resident in UAE, even driving a Rental Car is not permitted even if you hold any "international driving permit".

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 14:12   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Awesome experience, backed by a fitting report, Thanks Tejas!

Would be great if you can highlight the differences you felt between the two Landcruiser generations.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 14:56   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Awesome experience, backed by a fitting report, Thanks Tejas!

Would be great if you can highlight the differences you felt between the two Landcruiser generations.
Thanks.

I just drove the older generation one. The newer one was the support car.

I did ask the instructor the difference between the two and he said that the older one is what he preferred and was the proverbial workhorse.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 16:41   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did ask the instructor the difference between the two and he said that the older one is what he preferred and was the proverbial workhorse.
Hahaha! That's what I thought. The older one is lighter, simpler and more functional. The 200 is bloated, with a focus on on-road luxury.

But then, people said that about the 80 vs 100 series too.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 17:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
First shift from H to L.
  • You will probably need to do it 30-40 times till you reach full lock on the left.
My car that was beached till the chassis for the entire length came out in this fashion but my arms and left leg were sore after that.

Thanks for the recovery technique. Just one question. By following the above method the car wil stall 30-40 times. I mean i'll have to re-start the car this many times. Did i get this correct ? Does it have any effect on the battery if i have to start the car 30-40 times in quick succession ?

I got stuck on a sandy beach in my Fortuner. The front left and rear right dug in and other two diagonal wheels did not have any traction. The central diff. supplied power only to the wheels which had lost traction and they were just spinning. I know its the limitation of my vehicle for this condition but will the above technique help for this situation also ?

Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 18:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Thanks for the recovery technique. Just one question. By following the above method the car wil stall 30-40 times. I mean i'll have to re-start the car this many times. Did i get this correct ? Does it have any effect on the battery if i have to start the car 30-40 times in quick succession ?

I got stuck on a sandy beach in my Fortuner. The front left and rear right dug in and other two diagonal wheels did not have any traction. The central diff. supplied power only to the wheels which had lost traction and they were just spinning. I know its the limitation of my vehicle for this condition but will the above technique help for this situation also ?

Thanks
No the vehicle doesn't stall.

As soon as you get stuck, you should follow this technique rather than digging in more.

Even though your wheel has no traction, the act of turn the wheel sideways gives a bit of bite laterally and also causes some sand to be pulled under the wheels as well.

Give me a few of weekends more and I'll simulate this recovery and video record it for better clarification.
Old 12th January 2014, 12:49   #30
BHPian

Amazing write up!Is the clutch released fully?If so won't it stall?I've always preferred the 100 series over the 200(Looks too bloated IMO)

I remember back when I used to live in the middle east the Land Cruiser was advertised as the King of the desert.I really didn't understand why till I actually experienced(As a passenger) it on the dunes.Absolutely phenomenal.

Do they have any Nissan Patrols doing duty?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks