Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2014, 17:50   #1
BHPian

The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa

UPDATE: The report of the RFC Event, along with pictures can be found at this link :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...lenge-goa.html

------
As per information received directly from the organisers:

Quote:
The RFC has seven editions worldwide and India is the eighth country to become a part of the RFC Global Series.

One of the world’s top 10 toughest challenges and the most internationally represented 4X4 off-road motorsport event, the Rainforest Challenge (RFC) is now entering India with RFC India’s first edition set to take place in August 2014. The event will be held over a period of 10 days from 7th to 17th August and will witness contesting teams struggling to survive through rugged terrains of the rainforests of western India.

The event has been introduced by Cougar Motorsport. The announcement about India’s entry to the RFC Global Series 2014 was made in Delhi on 4th Feb, with RFC Founder Luis J.A. Wee handing over the RFC India Flag to Ashish Gupta of Cougar Motorsport.

The Rainforest Challenge was first launched in the jungles of Malaysia in 1997 with an aim of giving an avenue to daring off-road driving enthusiasts for competing with like-minded people. Adventurers from all over the world have participated in this challenge where competitors are taken through mud, drenching rain, steep slippery slopes, deep ruts, gullies, flooded rivers, and landslides that are demanding and dangerous. Over the years, RFC has not only become an annual international off-road challenge of Malaysia, but has also been replicated globally in countries like Italy, Russia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Tunisia, China and Australia.

Over 50 teams, both Indian and foreign, are expected to participate in the first edition of RFC India. Participants will have to complete 30 Special Stages (SS) designed by experts from RFC Malaysia across a multitude of obstacles where the challenge is to complete each SS in the fastest time and score the highest points. The Prologue stage will be followed by the Predator and Terminator stages that will be laid inside and on the fringes of the jungle. The final stage of Twilight Zone will be an overnight drive across uncharted jungle territory.

Following the announcement of the launch, registrations for RFC India 2014 have also started. Entry Forms can be downloaded from the RFC India website www.rfcindia.in
The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-scene-rainforest-challenge-2013.jpg

The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa-1.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th September 2014 at 16:53. Reason: Linking to the report thread ;)
kicksperliter is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 19:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The 2014 Rain Forest Challenge @ Goa

Yes, it is true. TBHP has received official word on it.

But I am wondering about the vehicles. The foreign participants will be importing their rides, that much is obvious. What about Indian participants, will we see Thars, Gypsies and Jeeps at the event? Will they stand a chance, or even pass the scrutiny?
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 21:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

What I'm wondering is, how they get through the paper works and legality of conducting an event of such size in such terrain. Would be keeping a keen eye on that. It would really help other similar themed events around India.

This should be a boon and and set a benchmark to all off-roaders in the country.

Hope to see improvements in all relevant automotive segments.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 12:58   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Updated the opening post with more information from the press invite*

This is taking offroading to an entirely different level in India! Expect to see a lot of folk start preparing their rides already. Serious stuff, am sure we're going to see familiar names from the forum participating.

An existing thread on the Sri Lankan event with pics etc. - Link
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 13:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This is GREAT news & will revolutionize the off-road scene like never before. Look forward to more details like cost & criteria of participation, vehicle entry conditions, etc etc.

Am sure most off-roaders will be salivating at the prospect of taking part in an Indian RFC. I look forward to this event and who knows, even take part :-)
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 15:30   #6
BHPian

I don't think none of the production class 4WD vehicles can take the beatings thrown at it. A purpose built competition vehicle will help one gaining entry to RFC. Will Gypsy chassis +1.6L Engine+10 lakh for all additional work help gain entry to RFC?
Old 29th January 2014, 15:56   #7
BHPian

As far as the talk goes, there are quite a few criteria s one has to meet when it comes to vehicle technicalities.

Coming to cost, I did read entry for participants would be 1.5L, and set criteria's of the vehicles shall be scrutinized by the organizers. Now, the cost plays a major factor here for Indian participants.

I am sure there are already few seasoned offroaders lined up for participation from our very own Bangalore.

I shall meet them and check out their machines they are currently working on (mostly Gypsies).

Moreover, I would like to put forth an important factor. Western Ghats has been notified as Protected Ecosystem and Green zone, which means no commercial activities to be undertaken which could be a threat to the western ghats.

Considering this fact, would the organizers get permission? Just a curious thought.
kicksperliter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 17:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Updated the opening post with more information from the press invite*

This is taking offroading to an entirely different level in India! Expect to see a lot of folk start preparing their rides already. Serious stuff, am sure we're going to see familiar names from the forum participating.

An existing thread on the Sri Lankan event with pics etc. - Link
This is another thread, based on 2013 oct after participating in this event.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ge-2013-a.html

Last edited by matchless : 29th January 2014 at 17:30.
matchless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 18:20   #9
BHPian

Want to appreciate the effort of organizer to initiate an another competitive event in India.

Based on my experience you can not expect foreign competitor/Vehicle, first issue bring vehicle in and taking out of India, is a big challenge.

I think it would be competition among Indian offroader with RFC Badge. Like Khan stated looking forward for other details about the event.

And with proper preparation, spares and team, any vehicle can take the beating.
Even vehicle with 1.3 Lt have secure podium position in Malaysian RFC.
matchless is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 20:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, it is true. TBHP has received official word on it.

But I am wondering about the vehicles. The foreign participants will be importing their rides, that much is obvious. What about Indian participants, will we see Thars, Gypsies and Jeeps at the event? Will they stand a chance, or even pass the scrutiny?
When I went to RFC Malaysia for the first time I wanted to put my car back into the container and send it back to Sri Lanka when I saw the rest of the vehicles and their mods. Do not be fooled by this, as the Mods are not necessarily essential to the terrain but some times to the size of their bank account.

RFC Style event is all about SS (Special Stages) and many of them where you keep adding to the total score by surviving each stages till the end. Most of the high powered over modified machines are good for bragging rights at the start line they often do not make it to the end. Example RFC 2013 Super Modified Jeep Wrangler from Korea did not survive the prologue.

In Sri Lanka, the local champion dominates over any Malaysian who come here, where only in 2011 Loo Foo Siong won the event, where he is the only Malaysian to win both RFC title and the Borneo Safari. and competing since 2000 at an early age of 19.

The trick is go with the knowledge that you have of the local terrain and conditions. This is your number one advantage. Being on the same region we suffer the dehydration at Palar river with 15+ stages in 2 Days. It is tough although the local teams do not even feel it.

So do not be worried about these cars, with big Turbo's and Horsepower rating with a lot of epic write ups about them.

My bet is on an Indian Team with an Indian Built Vehicle. These foreign teams have no idea what they are getting into although they may look like they know and seen it all. Use your home turf advantage. Best of Luck for RFC India.
LKCRUISERS is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 13:41   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Details are up on their website:

http://www.rfcindia.in/

Few quick glimpses from there:

7 Aug Scrutiny
8 Aug Scrutiny & briefing
9 Aug Opening Ceremony, Prologue SS
10 Aug Prologue SS Continues; transport to camp 1 (Predator)
11 Aug Predator camp with SS in the vicinity
12 Aug Rest & recuperation; transport to camp 2 (Terminator)
13 Aug Face off at Terminator camp with SS in the vicinity
14 Aug Transport to camp 3 (Twilight Zone)
15 & 16 Aug Thriller in the Twilight Zone, Hoisting of Indian National Flag
17 Aug Closing Ceremony & Prize Distribution

Competitor 4x4 vehicles (with 2 pax) 84,270
Touring Adventurers 4x4 vehicles (with 2 pax) 28,090
Service Team 4x4 vehicles 11,236
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 14:58   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Opening post updated with additional information that just came in!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 15:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

Going international! This would be very interesting, looking forward to see the rules and regulation part. Entry fee is a bit of a downer for people without sponsorship i guess. But then again, good things don't come cheap.
Old 4th February 2014, 16:15   #14
Team-BHP Support

It is clashing with The Palar Challenge, that is not good considering that most TPC competitors are the kind that would try for RFC.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 18:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is clashing with The Palar Challenge, that is not good considering that most TPC competitors are the kind that would try for RFC.
I don't think that there would be many drop outs from TPC because the cost to participate in RFC will be a barrier to entry. Participant entry fee alone is Rs. 84,000 per vehicle (2 pax.), plus boarding and lodging. Rough cost is attached below. TPC is only around 6000 per head but RFC is around 70,000 per head. A pretty expensive affair without sponsorship deals i'm afraid. I have also not mentioned the cost of preparing the vehicle but that will vary drastically from one to another.

Name:  RFC India Cost.png
Views: 5106
Size:  6.0 KB
Costs have been taken as per www.rfcindia.in
Endeavour333 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks