Team-BHP - Event Report - The 2014 Palar Challenge
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   Event Report - The 2014 Palar Challenge (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/154634-event-report-2014-palar-challenge-2.html)

Dear Arka and the Terra Tigers!

Just a note to thank you for putting together a simply outstanding event. One cannot even begin to comprehend the amount of time, effort and energy that must have gone into organizing an event on this scale. There was an exponential increase in the overall degree of difficulty over TPC 2013 and the Special Stages were brilliantly designed to really push the man-machine interface to the limits. The surprise element/booby trap component that every SS had at least one of ensured that teams were kept on their toes. Needless to say this also ensured that smug smiles were conspicuous in their absence.

I will now attempt to summarize our team's (Team 71 - Triveni Motorsports) experience over the 3 days of the competition:

Day 1: For us Palar hounds this was a welcome to remember. Our little stretch of the Palar was nothing like what we found in this neck of the woods. Having said that, our vehicles held up and we did fairly well through the day. The double climbs and the narrow ravines made for brilliant special stages. Although the terrain looked the same, no two special stages bore even the slightest resemblance to each other.

Day 2: In retrospect, this was the toughest day of the competition. The quarries seemed determined to draw blood and oil and the special stages were nothing short of diabolical. With all our prep, we thought we were ready for the rocks but for me, personally, I learned more about levers, moment arms and approach angles in that one day that I did over the last 3 years. As a team, I think we also learned that it pays to listen to advice and tips from the Marshals :).

Day 3 was classic, vintage Palar - at her worst. We thought it was going to be just another 'sand' day but, as it turned out, there is sand and there is SAND. To say that the special stages were brilliantly conceptualized and laid out would would be a gross understatement. There was no way, even with spotters on every ridge, that we could anticipate what we would find on the other side. This was seat of pants driving at its best. The longer distances between special stages were almost as good as a land navigation challenge and I would actually suggest something structured on those lines in 2015. A tough day and Mother P claimed her pound of flesh and quart of oil.

At the end of it all, we were knackered but all we could talk about was lessons learned and things to do for next year. Accommodation was good and the food was great. The overall camping atmosphere really added another dimension to the overall experience. There are always areas of improvement and I am certain you guys will give some thought to the feedback and perhaps incorporate reasonable suggestions. Having said that, there was nothing to detract from a great event.

I can only speak for our team but, as 4X4 enthusiasts, we came out here to match ourselves and our machines against the best. To that end, we got everything we came for and more. That's what one looks for in a competition like this. The man-machine interface is a continuum and, boy, did that envelope get pushed. Each SS was tough and technical but we knew it was doable - we just needed to find the right approach. And that's why we loved TPC, 2014. It was beyond merely tough, but it was not impossible. On a lighter note, the biggest things missing from 2013 were the water and the mud :).

Thanks again. We'll be back!!!!

Hi Guys,

The second set of pics from Sara Extreme 4x4 - A hard Day SS1.

Regards,

Arka

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 3534191)
Hi Guys,

The second set of pics from Sara Extreme 4x4 - A hard Day SS1.

Regards,

Arka

Very nice posts and pics. That gypsy in the 4th pic seems to have good articulation for SPUA. Any idea what suspension setup its running? also like its bumper.Could someone please tell me where that was sourced from?

Regards
Ronnie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3535860)
Very nice posts and pics. That gypsy in the 4th pic seems to have good articulation for SPUA. Any idea what suspension setup its running? also like its bumper.Could someone please tell me where that was sourced from?

Regards
Ronnie

That vehicle has Iron man suspension! It belongs to Sam Kurian Kalarickal and most of the parts of that vehicle was imported. You can contact Sam, through his shopline I believe its R&T Auto catalyst.

BTW if you are interested in the whole vehicle 2012 Model Maruti Gypsy For Sale - 5.5 Lakhs, yes its the same one in the pic :D The sale page is floating in FB, I am not sure if its available in Tbhp classifieds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinn (Post 3535880)
That vehicle has Iron man suspension! It belongs to Sam Kurian Kalarickal and most of the parts of that vehicle was imported. You can contact Sam, through his shopline I believe its R&T Auto catalyst.

BTW if you are interested in the whole vehicle 2012 Model Maruti Gypsy For Sale - 5.5 Lakhs, yes its the same one in the pic :D The sale page is floating in FB, I am not sure if its available in Tbhp classifieds.

Dear Twinn,

Thanks a lot for the info. Could make out the front grill is what is prevalent in the US Samurai. Damn I really do wish I could get a hold of this gypsy, but my wife and wallet won't allow. Especially since I already have one holed in my garage.��

Hi Guys,

The first set of pics from Sara Extreme 4x4 SS2 (TPC2014 day#2)

Regards,

Arka

Hi Guys,

The second set of pictures.

Regards,

Arka

Hi Guys,

The 3rd set of pictures from Sara Extreme 4x4 - SS2.

Regards,

Arka

Hi Guys,

The last set of pics from Sara Extreme 4x4 - SS2.

Regards,

Arka

Hi Guys,

The First set of pictures from Sara Extreme 4x4 - SS3.

Regards,

Arka

Hi Guys,

The second set of pictures from Sara Extreme 4x4 SS3.

Regards,

Arka

Hi Guys,

The Last set of pics from Sara Extreme 4x4 - SS3.

Regards,

Arka

Hi Guys,

The first set of pics from Sara Extreme 4x4 SS5 (Day#2 TPC2014).

Regards,

Arka

Hi Guys,

The second set of pics from Sara Extreme 4x4 - SS5 (TPC2014 Day#2).

Regards,

Arka

Hi Guys,

The Last set of pics from Sara Extreme 4x4 - SS5 (TPC2014 Day#2).

Regards,

Arka