Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2015, 09:42   #16
BHPian

Re: 4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India

Wow! What a compilation how I wish I would have lived in North india.

I could not find similar thread for south/west? I have come across a few namely Kodachadri in south.. Can someone who has done similar trips in south india put together for south? I visited Mandalpatti near coorg in My Bolero last year and it too was a similar experience. Apart from my Bolero which could make it till the end, I could only see 4wd jeeps making it as well. There were a few stretches where I could see that old jeeps had to stop, engage 4wd and start to move forward.
karthikd21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 12:26   #17
BHPian

Nice to see this thread and also that its alive. I started a similar one for pan India but was shot down for below reasons. I kind of agree with below mentioned views . Too much of publicity without proper facilities can be dangerous.

"Long long back, this idea was discussed on the forum. But we soon realised that it is a bad idea. Any publicly known 4WD trail will soon attract too many 4WD thrill seekers and start trouble with the locals. It is better to leave such knowledge with local offroaders of the area. And this was in the pre-Thar era"

"Hi, Very difficult to find 4WD only trails nowadays, which are publicly accessible, without any problems. I can safely say, there is no 4WD only trail in public land (not forest, or private property) in Wayanad.

Also, IMO, with the increasing number of Thar (ab)users , if at all such a trail is there, easily searchable information in the internet will spoil it, and render it unusable. Might even make it dangerous.

However, there are still virgin lands yet to be explored in the hands of the forest department.
ManuMacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 01:39   #18

I have been following this thread from the very beginning. It started really nice with Sumitro putting in few excellent destinations and Himadri adding a few more and both of them excellently raising the standard of the posts by matching excellent pictures. Pictures which set the wanderlust in me into day dreams. Of mountains, passes, treacherous roads, silt, sand, dust, soil, backbreaking conditions, ALL to go to some place which few have been to or few can dream of. Excellent thread Sumitro and a very noble intention at that. Let me admit it in public that my humble self, I, look up to your threads because they are educative, they contain valuable information, are always a good read and above all serve as an excellent guide for the next person. Brilliant thread Sumitro. Keep them coming.

I feel it is important to add here that I do not,repeat, I do not read them to sharpen my English language skills or to increase my stock of English words . Be it grammar, spoken or otherwise.

Lets have some 4x4 insights and some more nice trips as Sheel has also pointed out somewhere in this thread. Some from the tea gardens maybe. I heard they are really tough and tricky.

Thanks
Avrendu

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2015 at 09:35. Reason: Removing off-topic content - cleaning up thread
avrendu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 03:40   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread is on sharing the destinations which are not easy to reach. Now 'Not easy to reach' destination's are generally chosen by enthusiasts or true nature lovers. Not every XYZ tourist will choose such places. The good thing is if some one mistakenly chose any of these places without prior information of the place, he might land up in trouble. But this thread can be handy and helpful for many to reach a place with proper precaution's. Its not always about driving a 4wd. A traveler can get proper info on how he can reach there safely, be it 4wd, 2wd , by cycling, by trekking or even by hiring a local cab! For me happiness is in the journey, not in the destination, so the way through which we reach the destination is really important and it really matters!

I do not want to get into the 2wd or 4wd debate as i myself is not that experienced to comment on this and neither do i own a 4wd. May be i will some day! What i understand is where i struggled to go in my fwd low ground clearance car, if i had the option of an higher ground clearance Suv with 2wd or 4wd it would have been far easier for me. A simple land slide can turn a 2wd territory into a 4wd territory. If a guy like me want to visit any such place, then he will do it by hook or by crook. Now doing that without proper info can be dangerous where as with proper info and guidance one can do it rather safely. So i sincerely hope this thread get many valuable inputs specially from the Bhpians who are considered to be very experienced regarding hills.

As mentioned in the opening thread the road from Jorethang to Darjeeling or Kaluk via zoom some times require 4wd. I was unaware that these roads can get so dangerous during monsoons. I have heard people doing these routes in hatch backs. Now if i plan to visit that place in monsoon i will either avoid or venture that road in a suitable vehicle or will take better updated information from the locals about the current condition of the road ahead.

From my very little knowledge let me share one place which is really difficult for low ground clearance cars, where as with a proper suv it can be done quite easily specially when things go worse during monsoon. The place is called- Dzongu. Its location is in North Sikkim and can be reached through Mangan. This place is 16kms from Mangan. Its a village, away from the crowded civilization. If some one want to enjoy a pure Himalayan village with the wild Himalayan beauty it's the place for him. We did this place in hatch backs and sedans but i wont suggest anyone going there with hatch backs or sedans. For staying options there are no proper lodges or hotels but there are few nice home stays. Taking personal cars need permit which can be done from Gangtok or Mangan.

Sharing few pics-

The destination- Dzongu.
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-img_4699.jpg

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-img_4704.jpg

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-img_4710.jpg

Now the road which takes you there-

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-img_4708.jpg

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-img_4709.jpg

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-untitledd.jpg

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-untitleddd.png

And a small video for reference.

That's my small bit of contribution to this thread and hoping for many more to come.

Last edited by Samba : 20th October 2015 at 03:49.
Samba is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 13:42   #20
BHPian

I have been following this thread as I follow with avid interest all threads dealing with nice destinations where the journey is also part of the destination. "The sole purpose of this thread was to note down places which can be potential 4WD destinations." as Black Pearl said. I think that is how I will treat it simply.

There are many things and activities published these days that can be potentially harmful for the uninitiated. Even our PM demonstrated some yogas on the TV couple of months back and some of them if not done without proper supervision may actually weaken one's heart if there is a history of heart disease. In me Now I would not start throwing my legs in the air one fine morning if I have enough senses just because a seasoned veteran showed it on TV and made it look oh-all-so-easy.

There are people who have the resources to get a 4x4 at a drop of a wad of currencies and armed with that and a mere provocation from one thread in tbhp go on a trail like the ones discussed here the next day. After all, the Aesop’s fable of the goat’s futile jumping into a well without thinking of his capabilities or the circumstances are not be mere rhetoric.

I would love to read more about such destinations, knowing fully well that I may not be able to make it there. But then I have also decided that I would never be to the Moon, or to the top of Everest but I do read about these journeys and enjoy them. Do not take away that joy from me.

Let not the intrepid stop, for the fear that fools may follow. Let him rest a bit, take up his pen and let the world know that there is a world out there.

I shall wait quietly to read more about such journeys.
imove is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:36   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: A large number of off-topic posts have been deleted. Please stick to the thread topic, that is "4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India".

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:27   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imove View Post
...and a mere provocation from one thread in tbhp go on a trail like the ones discussed here the next day.
Many trails in the mountains of Eastern / North-East India run through private tea estates, where the benevolence of the tea estate owner allows for passage of vehicles to help communication by the local population; these do not take into account a large influx of vehicles driven by tourists. Tea estate managers may wake up one fine morning and block the road to outside vehicles for a few days, and since the road is privately owned, there can be no argument. This is similar to private roads through coffee estates in the Western Ghats.

Also, there are narrow trails where a single vehicle breaking down / getting stuck may mean blockage of the road for hours/days because recovery of the vehicle is tough if not impossible, inconveniencing and angering local folks because their only communication route is blocked.

Some trails run through forest land where a permit is required for access, but, the authorities being lax in enforcement, do not employ guards and gates to stop physical access. If, however, vehicles are found in these restricted areas, the consequences are bothersome, with penalties and impounding of cars, and even detention of driver / passengers. Getting into these roads just because there is no gate, without knowing that a permit is required, may cause problems subsequently.

It would therefore be prudent for the experts in these little-known 4wd destinations to classify these roads while listing the destinations, and tell readers what to expect when driving there with their own 4wd vehicles.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 22nd October 2015 at 11:30.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 15:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It would therefore be prudent for the experts in these little-known 4wd destinations to classify these roads while listing the destinations, and tell readers what to expect when driving there with their own 4wd vehicles.
The following post is a trail in West Sikkim. This is a birding paradise, absolutely unmanned Bear territory in deep mountain forest. Please do not venture here just for 4x4 sake. Another trip to Sikkim, this time just for birding and a good friend of mine and Tbhp member, Imove, an absolutely wonderful person, agreed to accompany me. Being an avid photographer himself, Imove stuck to me on all trails, both on foot and on 4x4. There were a few tense moments, 4x4 L engaged quiet a number of times. The road was all broken rocks and slush at times. All photographs here are shot at the end of the climb, a vast flat stretch of land amidst snow capped mmountains.
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-bhanjan.jpg
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-20160109_150415_1.jpg
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-20160109_155210_1.jpg
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-cloud.jpg
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-pinaki.jpg
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-me.jpg
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-20160109_154934_1.jpg
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-20160109_111153_1.jpg

Last edited by himadrimondal : 14th January 2016 at 15:49.
himadrimondal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 17:19   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
There were a few tense moments, 4x4 L engaged quiet a number of times. The road was all broken rocks and slush at times. All photographs here are shot at the end of the climb, a vast flat stretch of land amidst snow capped mountains.
Thanks Himadri for the update. Please share any video if you have. Also with the number of times you go to uninhabited places, it is high time to invest in a good quality dashcam
Old 14th June 2016, 03:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
6. Melli to Kaluk via Zoom, West Sikkim
This is not strictly 4WD route and our fellow bhpians gearhead-mait, PapaBravo and mi2n have done this route in Eon, Brio and Figo respectively. However, another fellow bhpian Rajarshi had to engage 4WD in his Thar on this route during the monsoons. So putting it up as a probable 4WD road. Here are the travelogues -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...st-sikkim.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bode-gods.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tism-fire.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Wonderful thread for the 4X4 enthusiasts.

One road needs special mention here:

The route to Kaluk through Legship - Chingthang - Kaluk. It's a shortcut of around 12 kms to Kaluk, but I could manage the first 3 kms in my EON and had to turn back afterwards. Later, while discussing with a local Sumo driver I came to know that the road is out of bounds for even Sumo. He said that even Sumo gets severe under body hits. They avoid that route and told me that I was lucky I didn't proceed further as the road deteriorates significantly afterwards.

Details of the route (along with video) can be found here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3631864

And map of the route, here:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/27.2...d27.232447!3e0

This can be a potential 4X4 road, that leads to a wonderful destination as well.
Wonderful initiative Black Pearl.

Somehow i managed to bump into this thread long after its inception and the route to Kaluk reminded me of the drive in 2013. I did not do much homework on the route from melli to kaluk and thought it would be a normal hill drive. But the show started from Reshi. I don't consider myself an expert in this field and with respect to 4X4 i am even less knowledgeable than a novice. I followed the signage and google also showed me the route through rinchenpong from legship. It was literally a horror show for my humble Manza. The road was mostly broken boulders and slush slush and slush. Those 12 kms took me more than 2.5 hrs to cross. The more i went through the worse it turned out to be. I would remember the terrible beating my Manza took. At that point of time i had only one way forward and i went about it. Though my Manza was not the car for such terrain it withstood the hits. The Manza withstood more pains a year later and it still delivers to perfection and i much admit its hell of a car.

The guys in the hotel told me "Yaha to sirf Bolero chalta hai, Manza kaise agaya" The hotel guys suggested the way back via zoom. Though many discouraged coming down via Zoom i thought it wont be worse than the route i took. Took the zoom route while coming down. I don't have many pictures to share as i was not prepared for this. Couple of pictures of the way up to kaluk. I am not sure if a 4X4 would have helped. Its for the experts to say

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-dsc_1010.jpg

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-dsc_1012.jpg

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-dsc_1136.jpg

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-dsc_1137.jpg
A.G.The Rambler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 00:43   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
Wonderful initiative Black Pearl.

Somehow i managed to bump into this thread long after its inception and the route to Kaluk reminded me of the drive in 2013.
Thanks a lot Anish for bumping this thread, it had not been updated for a long long time. This year has been horrible for me till date, not getting enough leaves to go to the hills. I wish the later part of the year will be better and I will be able to update this thread with a few exotic locations
Old 4th September 2016, 12:57   #27
Team-BHP Support

Posting a few videos of trail driving at a place called Pokhridara in East Sikkim. This place is on the way to Zuluk.

BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 12:13   #28
BHPian

Awesome thread. Planning for new Gurkha explorer to experience those. My lovable Bolero SLX 2wd have been tried in few such trails but achieved rarely. I need your help and guidance buddies for taking up final decision on Gurkha.
T2luvroads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 15:58   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2luvroads View Post
Awesome thread. Planning for new Gurkha explorer to experience those. My lovable Bolero SLX 2wd have been tried in few such trails but achieved rarely. I need your help and guidance buddies for taking up final decision on Gurkha.
I went to the local Force dealer to enquire about the new Gurkha but it has not arrived yet. I have left my details with them and they said I would get a call as soon as it arrives. Meanwhile, you can go through the thread on Gurkha 2017 -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ce-gurkha.html

Last edited by BlackPearl : 5th April 2017 at 15:59.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I went to the local Force dealer to enquire about the new Gurkha but it has not arrived yet.
Thanks for your reply. I know the proprietor of auto hi link dealership of force. One expedition model is arriving for demo on 15th this month. I even asked him to get one xplorer 5 doors. Hoping for the best. The main challenge of after sales service has been affirmed by him. In East he is going to get the 1st demo vehicle.

Last edited by ampere : 5th April 2017 at 16:39.
T2luvroads is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed