Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 16:46   #31
BHPian

Re: 4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ce-gurkha.html
I'm keeping a close follow-up of this thread started by vinair..
T2luvroads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 18:17   #32
BHPian

6. Melli to Kaluk via Zoom, West Sikkim

Been on this route in December 2015, no its not a 4WD route, although it's pretty steep and narrow, the tarmac is pretty good and I could drive up in my Swift dZire, although had to be on 1st gear all along, tried 2nd along a longish stretch and stalled. Had to burn a lot of rubber to get going again.

1100D has been on this in his Scorpio during Monsoon, and as per his travelogue to Chayataal, 4WD was not required. The local taxis too drive regularly without 4WD, although admittedly they know each bend like the back of their hands.
Old 5th October 2017, 12:12   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
The route to Kaluk through Legship - Chingthang - Kaluk. It's a shortcut of around 12 kms to Kaluk, but I could manage the first 3 kms in my EON and had to turn back afterwards. Later, while discussing with a local Sumo driver I came to know that the road is out of bounds for even Sumo. He said that even Sumo gets severe under body hits. They avoid that route and told me that I was lucky I didn't proceed further as the road deteriorates significantly afterwards.
4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-gyalshing_to_legship.jpg

We took this route in August, from Gyalshing to Legship. There were a few treacherous places on the route but the Thar managed it in 2WD mode. This will be a 4WD trail if it rains. A small video of the trail -

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
6. Melli to Kaluk via Zoom, West Sikkim

Been on this route in December 2015, no its not a 4WD route, although it's pretty steep and narrow, the tarmac is pretty good and I could drive up in my Swift dZire, although had to be on 1st gear all along, tried 2nd along a longish stretch and stalled. Had to burn a lot of rubber to get going again.
I never said it is a 4WD route, many people have done this route in 2WD hatchbacks and SUVs, in fact I have done this route in a previous gen Baleno! All I had mentioned is that if there is a landslide in this area, it becomes a potential 4WD route due to the steepness and lack of grip. Also most of the destinations in Sikkim can be done in 2WD vehicle if the driver is capable. In monsoon the scenario changes, but people from the plains hardly go to Sikkim during monsoon.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 5th October 2017 at 12:21.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 16:46   #34
BHPian

Here in Assam, one is never too far away from 4WD destinations. A simple detour from the main roads will ensure that one can have all the 4WD fun one wishes for. Two recent excursions:

Sonapur, Assam to Byrnihat, Meghalaya:

We took a detour from N.H. 37 at Sonapur and tried finding a way through the village roads to the Guwahati Shillong Highway. We did not imagine a stretch of around 15 kms to be covered in full slush. My Bolero's 4WD prowess (I am a complete novice when it comes to off-roading) were tested nicely with lots of swaying and sliding But we did get views like this:

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-dsc_0523.jpg

Treasured Wheels, Sonapur, Assam:

The last few kms to this car museum is a dirt track on a hill. On dry days, all sorts of cars reach this place but when it rains, its an exclusive 4WD zone:

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-20170815_110607_hdr.jpg

4WD destinations in Eastern and North Eastern India-20170815_111333_hdr.jpg
Treasured Wheels
gunin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:32   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

We took this route in August, from Gyalshing to Legship.

I never said it is a 4WD route

but people from the plains hardly go to Sikkim during monsoon
Drove to Pelling via Legship Reshi this November, true, memories of last monsoon is evident, even big trunks were hanging overhead at some places, and the funniest was the point where there is a narrow single car dirt track along the hill and one similar that goes down. After waiting and asking a local Taxi driver, it was evident that they were evidently one way roads! What a way of constructing one way roads indeed

Regarding Jorthang to Zoom, understood that, what I said was that yes, it's not strictly a 4WD route, and local small cars keep plying, but they, I have seen often take breaks along the route. This November, Soreng upwards the road is in shambles though. Siliguri Cabs prefer the Reshi Gate route they said. So not a very easy road either.

True, been to the Dooars in July, during the Cyclonic depression that moved from South to North like it was chasing me, Dooars too in the monsson, if such depressions appear, become very unpredictable, the entire route along Mahananda was blocked at several places, but that was still bearable but then the lashing rains through Murshidabad till almost Kolkata was more than unbearable, specially for people like us who drive alone with an infant now in tow, and have to reach Kolkata within an acceptable timeline. Gorumara to Kolkata took over 18 hours non-stop. Won't be driving long distance without checking forecasts in the future. Same happened in August again, drove to Odisha and there the cyclonic depression again, Puri was waterlogged all over and the rain decided not to stop. July, August I would prefer not to travel, leave alone to the hills until the boy is a bit older.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th March 2018 at 13:50. Reason: Removed Youtube from quoted text. Please avoid this, since it affects readability. Thanks.
themagicclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 13:57   #36
Team-BHP Support

Hi all need some guidance.

Bunch of offroad friends wants to make a trip to the North East regions of India. Right now there is no plan, apart from keeping about 7 to 10 days for the trip once you land or reach the base location. This would be a driving trip and logistics etc has to be planned, based on some basic suggestions you can share.

- Interesting places to visit in such a duration in the north east? A bit of offroading would be fun since the plan is to do it on vehicles with 4x4 capabilities.

- Specifics like location and accommodation details would be great.

- Which is the right season or months to visit? Starting from May till end of the year?

- Road conditions overall, to understand what kind of time frame needs to be kept for doing this trip in a manageable manner.

Non touristy, less traveled places would be preferred. Looking forward to all your suggestions.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:49   #37
BHPian

Dear Jaggu,

Some locations you can explore:

Arunachal Pradesh:

1. Pakke Tiger Reserve

2. Kibithu and Walong:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...l-pradesh.html

3. Dambuk- Anini circuit

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...l-pradesh.html

4. Mechuka

https://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/th...pradesh.53625/

Meghalaya:

1. Mawphanlur

Please note the places mentioned for Arunachal Pradesh will individually take around 7 days from Guwahati, Assam (Except Pakke).

Most of these places are way off the regular tourist circuits like Tawang, Cherrapunjee etc.

I request you to do some basic research on these places and based on your preference I will be able to give more concrete information about stay etc.

Thanks
gunin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 11:05   #38
Team-BHP Support

Jaggu - There is a thread by jaysmokeleaves, please see that, has ample locations and guidance.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed