Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2016, 19:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by parvezshah View Post
I have been informed that my vcross is expected to arrive around next weekend.
Parvez,

Are you positive that you'll get the delivery by this weekend? We don't even have a test drive vehicle in Hyderabad yet. We were promised a test drive in mid May. I see flexibly extendable empty promises here.
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 04:01   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Parvez,

Are you positive that you'll get the delivery by this weekend? .
Ya now even I am not sure maybe it was standard keep_you_excited hook any way I was told test drive vehicle is in bangalore but awaiting rto clearance this was supposed to be done last Saturday and will get vin number of my vehicle by Monday that is yesterday
parvezshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 15:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parvezshah View Post
Ya now even I am not sure maybe it was standard keep_you_excited hook any way I was told test drive vehicle is in bangalore but awaiting rto clearance this was supposed to be done last Saturday and will get vin number of my vehicle by Monday that is yesterday
I am not sure we we are talking about the same vehicle but I was just talking to the salesperson at Trident to check on Test Drive and he told me that there are three vehicles with them at the moment.

One is earmarked for TD/Display - the other two are for delivery to customers. If you have booked a white V-Cross then I believe your vehicle is here already

One more point to add to this thread. I checked the LSD/BTS not being included on the Indian V-Cross point with Mr. Somaiah from Trident - he categorically stated that the vehicle does in fact have BTS. A bit confused on this point now - guess we will only know when someone from Team-BHP gets his hands on the truck.
TwistedFaith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 09:29   #34
Team-BHP Support

The first lot is all silver & whites , at least that's what Punjab dealership has got. They expect Black ones to be shipped in coming week. Deliveries will start by mid of next week when they have RTO/ STA approvals. If all goes well I will get my black one by mid of next month
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 11:42   #35
BHPian

Hi everybody,

I've never been a car enthusiast but years on this amazing forum as a silent observer have made me a half-convert, which is saying a lot.

I currently drive the old 2006 petrol Getz and also have a wagonR. The former has served me well over the last ten years, the build quality is nice, the ride extremely planted and stable even upto 120kmph,the plastics would do shame to most sedans a segment or two higher.I do not intend to dispose it just yet.

A chance sighting of the Dmax Vcross bowled me over and I ended up booking it a week ago. Took a pretty long test drive yesterday and was satisfied with the drive. The quality of interiors weren't a patch on my Getz but I suppose it's a trade off to keep costs low. I found the plastics to be of the standard of XUV. Similar iterations in Australia, Thailand and the UK have much plusher cabins. Also stumbled across e 1.9L blue power version launched in Thailand which i thought looked amazing.

I'm looking at the vehicle largely as my drive to the mountains and fire other road trips. It seems to be good, robust vehicle and the international versions are well regarded.

I believe it's a darned good idea to offer a stripped down version to keep the ex showroom price low. I've decided not to go with the stock audio but to instead experiment with an aftermarket android auto system. And perhaps upgrade to 18" tyres. Shall seek guidance from esteemed members and gurus here at the appropriate time.

I certainly hope the dealers have adequate choice and inventory of aftermarket accessories as such a vehicle offers tremendous scope for the owners to experiment and project their personality via the vehicle. Sadly , at the moment, other than fairly standard, overpriced, accessories there is little on offer.

I'd originally listed my preference as Silver but may change that to brown in the coming days. Black is stunning but I can't see myself keeping it gleaming , which is why I opted for Silver. The SA at Krishna automobiles, Chandigarh, however has requested me to see the brown colour before I finally decide.

Thank you to everyone here for sowing the seeds of automobile enthusiasm in me

Manpreet
mani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 13:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The first lot is all silver & whites , at least that's what Punjab dealership has got. They expect Black ones to be shipped in coming week. Deliveries will start by mid of next week when they have RTO/ STA approvals. If all goes well I will get my black one by mid of next month
I can confirm this as well. On Sunday I was at Trident Isuzu to see the vehicle and noticed that all three are white/silver.

All are currently pending RTO clearance. It seems the ARAI paperwork has been submitted but some additional papers are still awaited. I was not able to understand clearly what those papers are - but it should be done by today/tomorrow according to the Sr. Sales Manager there.

Additional information - I brought up the LSD/BTC point again with the sales people - they once again confirmed that the V-Cross on sale in India has BTC. Reports that this has been removed from the India spec vehicle appear to be unfounded at least as per the sales people there.

Why I believe this to be possible is because the same post also mentioned smaller things like the ORVM not having integrated turn indicators - I was able to verify that this is very much present.

What I also talked about was the infotainment system. The dealership in Bangalore is not aware of any new schemes or deals by Isuzu and they claim that the vehicle will in fact ship without the ICE as decided at launch. He did agree to ask and get back to me when I mentioned that it was being discussed on Team-BHP that there was a change in plans at Isuzu based on customer feedback - but I can only confirm by wednesday.

The accessory list is still not available with Trident Isuzu either - they said I should check back by today (Monday) as they expect to get it from Isuzu at this time.
TwistedFaith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 13:18   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've decided not to go with the stock audio but to instead experiment with an aftermarket android auto system.

I certainly hope the dealers have adequate choice and inventory of aftermarket accessories as such a vehicle offers tremendous scope for the owners to experiment and project their personality via the vehicle. Sadly , at the moment, other than fairly standard, overpriced, accessories there is little on offer.
Do share what you pick finally , I am also considering apple car play/ android Auto over what dealers are suggesting but overall fit of others might not be perfect.

Don't worry about the accessories part, there's a lot of stuff to come , Isuzu has sort of partnered with 4x4 and dealers will soon have most of ARB / OldMan stuff ready.

Quote:
Black is stunning but I can't see myself keeping it gleaming , which is why I opted for Silver. The SA at Krishna automobiles,
I will continue with silver over brown if that's an option to make. With some help from office staff , I can afford Black

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th June 2016 at 13:19.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 20:18   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Will most probably get to test the Isuzu D-Max at an offroad track we are creating for another company. Expect a slush fest if it happens - this friday
Report on Monday!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 17:39   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Will most probably get to test the Isuzu D-Max at an offroad track we are creating for another company. Expect a slush fest if it happens - this friday
Report on Monday!
Eagerly awaiting this report now.

I asked on the official Isuzu facebook page for clarification on whether the Indian V-Cross has Brake Traction Control or not as there is still some confusion regarding this point.

They replied with a one liner saying the vehicle is equipped with ABS, EBD and Brake Assist.

Another person asked if that meant that they do NOT have BTC which was the 2016 replacement for LSD - they replied stating that they have already mentioned all the features of the vehicle.

I replied to that explicitly asking if that meant that the India vehicle would then basically not be having either LSD or BTC - they responded by deleting my reply - now whether the vehicle has the feature or not - I'm already pissed with this attitude.

I have a 100% refund guarantee from the Dealer on the downpayment - probably going to exercise that option on Monday. Strike one Isuzu. Learn to talk to paying customers in a civilised way.
TwistedFaith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 23:44   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedFaith View Post
I replied to that explicitly asking if that meant that the India vehicle would then basically not be having either LSD or BTC - they responded by deleting my reply - now whether the vehicle has the feature or not - I'm already pissed with this attitude.

I have a 100% refund guarantee from the Dealer on the downpayment - probably going to exercise that option on Monday. Strike one Isuzu. Learn to talk to paying customers in a civilised way.
Even I have booked it and now seriously considering to cancel it, because my own question was deleted from their facebook page. This kind of attitude certainly comes from a low IQ sales person or an incompetent manager who must be handling that page as an admin, if Isuzu is reading this thread, then please don't take Indian customers for granted. There is no point in giving a four wheel drive vehicle without LSD atleast. Offering this vehicle without such a feature will definitely put a big dent on the image of Isuzu as a brand .

Meanwhile, came across this video of abroad version of DMAX on youtube which shows the DIFF LOCK button on the dashboard itself and its use is demonstrated as well.

Last edited by The King : 3rd July 2016 at 23:51.
The King is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 18:14   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Even I have booked it and now seriously considering to cancel it, because my own question was deleted from their facebook page. This kind of attitude certainly comes from a low IQ sales person or an incompetent manager who must be handling that page as an admin, if Isuzu is reading this thread, then please don't take Indian customers for granted. There is no point in giving a four wheel drive vehicle without LSD atleast. Offering this vehicle without such a feature will definitely put a big dent on the image of Isuzu as a brand .

My interaction with the local dealership in Punjab for Isuzu has been amiable. They've been happy to let me take the vehicle for multiple test drives and have responded promptly and without obfuscation to my emails.I wrote to them yesterday regarding the BTCS issue and requesting a clear answer. I'm reproducing the relevant part of the email below:

"This is in regards to your query about V Cross whether having Brake Traction Control System (BTCS) , we would like to inform you that we do not have traction control system in the D-max V Cross in India at the given time at the same time we do have break assist in it. The same was shared with your good -self in the Brochure and at the time of booking the vehicle .There should be no ambiguity regarding this issue.

Further ,the Dmax V cross is an open differential so LSD is not needed in the Vehicle. Below is the Specification sheet for your reference and enclosed is the Brochure with Spec sheet included."

I'm not an avid 4WDriver but that's also because I've never perviously owned a vehicle capable of offloading .I don't know if a lack of BTCS/LSD on the Indian iteration of the vehicle is a deal breaker for you or whether it should be for me as well,but can't really fault Isuzu for any ambiguity on the issue.I have to say at the time of the TD, the salesperson was unaware of BTCS /LSD were part of standard offering, but an email by me yesterday been responded to with clarity.

I can understand many of the features and plushness of the cabin offered in say Australia vis a vis India is not the same but then that would push the cost northwards of the current competitive offering.It would be hard to kick start a segment at 15-16L ex showroom.I believe Isuzu is offering this to the non hard core offroaders like yours truly and should the segment kick up sufficient volumes, an updated, more loaded version may be introduced a couple of years (or thereaboutsdown) down the line.

In light of the above, I'm still considering whether I should continue with the booking. In all likelihood, I Will.

Just my 0.02¢

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2016 at 18:03. Reason: Fixing quote tag
mani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 09:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Even I have booked it and now seriously considering to cancel it, because my own question was deleted from their facebook page.
This does not look professional and do not think it is an acceptable gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Further ,the Dmax V cross is an open differential so LSD is not needed in the Vehicle.
I have also booked the vehicle knowing that there is no LSD and BTCS. I believe with LSD/BTCS it can do better than with open differential in some off-road conditions. As Mani said, seems like ISUZU want to keep the price as low as possible by cutting some of the features available in international models. What they could have done is introduce a higher variant(s) with other features like LSD/BTCS, Automatic. That would attract more buyers.

4x4 experts please comment on this: On a v-cross with open differential, can ARB air-lockers be added. I saw ARB air-locker reviews which says it is more effective than LSD/BTCS. If this can be done on a V-cross, how much would it cost? Though I am not ready do this immediately, this is to understand the
feasibility and if feasible I may want to do after couple of years of ownership
Old 7th July 2016, 09:44   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post
s.

4x4 experts please comment on this: On a v-cross with open differential, can ARB air-lockers be added. I saw ARB air-locker reviews which says it is more effective than LSD/BTCS. If this can be done on a V-cross, how much would it cost? Though I am not ready do this immediately, this is to understand the
Yes you can add air lockers. The kit should cost you approx 50-60 grand minimum.

PS: we did some real mild offroading with the isuzu - rather soft roading just to understand the car. Have a few videos, will try to upload today.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 11:14   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

So we managed to lay our hands on the isuzu v cross for a good while.

Unfortunately they arrived too early and the track that we were constructing wasn't ready by then. Therefore, we couldn't do the articulation, climb and descent testing on it.

However, we had a huge playground of slush and made the most of it including a few side inclines.

Few observations:

- Ride quality is exemplary. Suspension is a bit on the softer side but that's what gives it the ride quality and handling is isn't affected much either. I haven't driven on road to comment much on highway handling honestly but on bad grounds you can take tight and fast turns with confidence. Upgraded rubber would further enhance the safety feel in my opinion

- i find the steering a bit to heavy for my liking. I think could fatigue arms on long mountain roads.

- It takes a while to engage and disengage from H to L. I prefer the quicker stick shift rather than waiting for the beeping to end.

- An AWD option should be there.

- The crawl speed is not comparable to jeeps. Infact i found my pajero crawling slowly (slightly but significantly noticeable). Upgraded tyres (larger diameter) means the crawl speed will be further affected. Note: i'm probably expecting too much out of the vehicle and a part of my mind is comparing it to the torque wall of my jeep. So point to be taken with pinch of salt

- Build quality seemed very nice No rattle or squeak. NVH also satisfactory.

- Glaring omission of the rear tow point is just stupid!

- Visibility all around is very good and backing up isn't a problem with a vehicle this size.

- At low rpm at standstill in sticky terrain i managed to stall once and needed to slip the clutch a bit to get into power band to get out. Once in the power band she can keep going on all day.

- Articulation (rear) is good for a vehicle in this segment.

- Number plate is positioned badly on the front bumper. The rear part hangs low and we managed to crack it in a medium sized ditch.

Will i buy it?

Honestly i don't know. For a person from Mumbai, parking is a big issue to have as a daily drive. I'd love to have this as a fifth car but i just don't have additional parking.

But, it's there on the list. At the current price, it is a no brainer and with the amount of add ons available in the international market, she can really be transformed into a beast

For some reason my net connection is really slow and videos aren't uploading to youtube. A few random pics:

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-img_5838.jpg

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-img_5888.jpg

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-img_5893.jpg

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-img_5894.jpg

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-img_5895.jpg

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-rqwi5685.jpg

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 7th July 2016 at 11:18. Reason: added number plate point and corrected typos
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 11:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post
as a v-cross with open differential, can ARB air-lockers be added. I saw ARB air-locker reviews which says it is more effective than LSD/BTCS. If this can be done on a V-cross, how much would it cost? Though I am not ready do this immediately, this is to understand the
You've virtually echoed my line of thought here. I believe the positives of buying a relatively basic vehicle are that it can gradually be accesorised & modified as per budget, interest and usage. In that sense I prefer to pay a lower initial cost of ownership for bells and whistles previously unknown to this class of vehicles and yet derieve comfort from the fact that I've bought a vehicle that isn't averse to modifications should I develop an interest in hardcore offroading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Yes you can add air lockers. The kit should cost you approx 50-60 grand minimum.

That's welcome news. I'd be kicking myself for jumping the ownership gun if Isuzu were to introduce a model with BTCS say a year down the line. Should they introduce a BTCS equipped model in India, one can safely presume the enhancement in cost will not be less or at the very least be comparable to the cost of outfitting the vehicle with the aforementioned air lockers?

PS: we did some real mild offroading with the isuzu - rather soft roading just to understand the car. Have a few videos, will try to upload today.
Eagerly looking forward to your professional feedback and videos. Thank you, in advance!
mani is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks