Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2016, 13:04   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4

Quote:
On a v-cross with open differential, can ARB air-lockers be added. I saw ARB air-locker reviews which says it is more effective than LSD/BTCS. If this can be done on a V-cross, how much would it cost? Though I am not ready do this immediately, this is to understand the
feasibility and if feasible I may want to do after couple of years of ownership
Quote:
I believe the positives of buying a relatively basic vehicle are that it can gradually be accesorised & modified as per budget, interest and usage.
There's a lot of stuff coming via Isuzu dealerships very soon..that should take care of warranty part as well and should be competitive , I can't write more here for the time being.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th July 2016 at 13:05.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 11:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Even I have booked it and now seriously considering to cancel it, because my own question was deleted from their facebook page. This kind of attitude certainly comes from a low IQ sales person or an incompetent manager who must be handling that page as an admin, if Isuzu is reading this thread, then please don't take Indian customers for granted. There is no point in giving a four wheel drive vehicle without LSD atleast. Offering this vehicle without such a feature will definitely put a big dent on the image of Isuzu as a brand .
Now they seem to be responding to a similar question on their facebook page.

Do indian version has break traction control or LSD if not how do you call it as true 4X4?

Comments

Isuzu D-MAX V-Cross Thank you very much for your response. While we may not have the features (BTCS/LSD) on offer currently in India, we would consider these or other relevant features of similar purpose, for future versions.

ISUZU D-MAX V-Cross has a capable 4WD option, with shift-on-fly mode that can be engaged in 2WD, 4WD-High and 4WD-Low.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2016 at 18:05. Reason: Removing formatting tags
mohanaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 13:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
You've virtually echoed my line of thought here. I believe the positives of buying a relatively basic vehicle are that it can gradually be accesorised & modified as per budget, interest and usage. In that sense I prefer to pay a lower initial cost of ownership for bells and whistles previously unknown to this class of vehicles and yet derieve comfort from the fact that I've bought a vehicle that isn't averse to modifications should I develop an interest in hardcore offroading.
I was initially quite disappointed to read and then hear that the BTC has been removed from the Indian version...

But after reading this comment I sat down to think through what my usage will actually be like. I am not a hardcore offroader and I was not really buying the vehicle to participate in any OTR's.

It will be used mostly on highways with broken roads / muddy footpaths thrown in at worst.

Instead of cancelling my booking I too am thinking of taking the vehicle and using it - in case the off road bug bites me at some point, it is good to know that there is a possibility of putting on aftermarket diff locks. Not that I am likely to do it, but the fact that possibilities exist has convinced me to go ahead anyway.

On a separate note - wish there was some way to send feedback to Isuzu about the feacebook PR team - those guys are terrible.
Old 8th July 2016, 14:25   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedFaith View Post

On a separate note - wish there was some way to send feedback to Isuzu about the feacebook PR team - those guys are terrible.
This thread is being watched. Trust me.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 14:33   #50
BHPian

[Tejas@perioimpl]: did you get a chance to upload videos of your v-cross test. Eagerly waiting for them. Is there any official review coming up?
Old 8th July 2016, 15:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
This thread is being watched. Trust me.
Good to know

On a completely separate note but still connected to this thread...

The person I spoke to from Trident Isuzu did mention something else that I think would be of interest to everyone here.

While discussing the lack of BTC - he said that I should see how the car performs in the RFC. It seems Isuzu is prepping vehicles to participate in the RFC this year. Obviously they will be heavily modified, but it would still be interesting to see how they fare give the overhangs and LWB.
TwistedFaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 15:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I was initially quite disappointed to read and then hear that the BTC has been removed from the Indian version...

But after reading this comment I sat down to think through what my usage will actually be like. I am not a hardcore offroader and I was not really buying the vehicle to participate in any OTR's.

It will be used mostly on highways with broken roads / muddy footpaths thrown in at worst.
A vehicle as competent as a Fortuner for half that price. And this from someone like me who's always driven a hatchback. Unlike most people here who've had second thoughts after driving it, I test drove it knowing this is going to be my intercity vehicle which will give me the flexibility to take some road trips which I otherwise wouldn't. Additionally, the robust construction, low maintenance and decent in-cabin feel add to that confidence. I believe an XUV 500 (my initial preference) isn't a patch on the quality of this Isuzu vehicle. No offence intended to anyone. It's my opinion.

For 12.40 ex showroom I'm paying only slightly more than a fully loaded Honda City. For a cabin that doesn't have as many bells and whistles but has an acceptable quality level plus is open to customisation. But hey, look at the versatility of this vehicle - it's mind-boggling.

As far as getting thrown around is concerned, on Indian roads everyone, whether they're driving an 80L car or driving a 4L car, do get bounced. No two ways.

I also believe later iterations of the Vcross will not be offered at such a tempting price. It's only natural the cost will escalate with number of features.I can only say I would not have bought this vehicle at 15L ex showroom irrespective of BTCS and other features being offered on this. In that scenario my head would have overruled my heart. At this price point, my heart wins.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th July 2016 at 16:21. Reason: Fixed quotes
mani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 16:01   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post
[Tejas@perioimpl]: did you get a chance to upload videos of your v-cross test. Eagerly waiting for them. Is there any official review coming up?
Currently travelling. Didn't get a chance to upload videos.

Official reviews: the mod team can answer that.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 17:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While discussing the lack of BTC - he said that I should see how the car performs in the RFC. It seems Isuzu is prepping vehicles to participate in the RFC this year. Obviously they will be heavily modified, but it would still be interesting to see how they fare give the overhangs and LWB.
AFAIK they are not competing but they are participating in 'India 4x4 week' and will have a stall and might be a designed track to test their vehicles.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 18:50   #55
Team-BHP Support

Tejas thanks a lot for the detailed inputs. The following are in-line with what I had felt during our short stint with
the vehicle and I am happy that my observations closely matched with an I4WDTA certified stalwart

Quote:

Few observations:

- Ride quality is exemplary. Suspension is a bit on the softer side but that's what gives it the ride quality and handling is isn't affected much either. I haven't driven on road to comment much on highway handling honestly but on bad grounds you can take tight and fast turns with confidence. Upgraded rubber would further enhance the safety feel in my opinion

- It takes a while to engage and disengage from H to L. I prefer the quicker stick shift rather than waiting for the beeping to end.

- The crawl speed is not comparable to jeeps. Infact i found my pajero crawling slowly (slightly but significantly noticeable). Upgraded tyres (larger diameter) means the crawl speed will be further affected. Note: i'm probably expecting too much out of the vehicle and a part of my mind is comparing it to the torque wall of my jeep. So point to be taken with pinch of salt

- Glaring omission of the rear tow point is just stupid!

- At low rpm at standstill in sticky terrain i managed to stall once and needed to slip the clutch a bit to get into power band to get out. Once in the power band she can keep going on all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

Observations off-road:

1. For the inclines we faced, the low end torque seemed to be adequate. But it needed a bit more effort when compared to the Di Bolero
2. In spite of having rear leaf springs, the vehicle does not jump around like a Bolero 4WD
7. 4Low 1st gear could be a little more low, without any input (Accelerator,Brake and Clutch) the vehicle seemed to get down a slope faster than the Bolero
8. Rear tow hook has been a bad miss from the manufacturer. Hope they get this fixed in the next iteration
11. Shifting from 4 Low to 2WD mode took a long time to reflect on the console, though I could feel that the mode had already changed

We differed on the following point though-

Quote:
- Articulation (rear) is good for a vehicle in this segment.
Quote:
4. The rear wheels lose traction very easily in no load conditions
5. Articulation at the rear could be a bit more, need to check when loaded
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 22:14   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tejas thanks a lot for the detailed inputs.
Thank you.

We were using the obstacles designed for the mercs which lifted legs at the slightest hint of undulation. Thus, probably the inadvertent comparo and note.

But honestly wasn't bad for a pick up.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 22:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As far as getting thrown around is concerned, on Indian roads everyone, whether they're driving an 80L car or driving a 4L car, do get bounced. No two ways.
Sorry, that's quite misleading. A V cross even with 4 passengers bounces around the rear enough to give you a backache and head ache in no time, no 4 lakh or 80 lakh car bounces that much.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 23:14   #58
BHPian

I'm no automobile expert, Sir. It bounces no more or no less than any other car on crappy sections of our roads. And in such sections I'd rather be driving/sitting in a vehicle that throws me around a bit rather than one that decimates my investment in a car.

I drive to the mountains regularly, in all seasons, and at 12.4 Lacs I believe the Vcross will do a mighty good job than say a Honda city or anything that costs that much. In fact most of my friends who have fancy wheels costing an arm and a leg don't have the guts to drive their fancy wheels even upto a place like Manali, forget beyond it.

That said, it's my personal opinion and you're free to differ with it
mani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 10:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The first lot is all silver & whites , at least that's what Punjab dealership has got. They expect Black ones to be shipped in coming week. Deliveries will start by mid of next week when they have RTO/ STA approvals. If all goes well I will get my black one by mid of next month
Any updates on your delivery date? I'l be visiting the dealership today to get an idea. I believe they have delivered a few vehicles already. Did you get the AVIC 8200 NEX? I'm awaiting the delivery of your vehicle so at least the Chandigarh buyers/auto noobs like me get an idea how/where/what to accessorise!
Old 13th July 2016, 11:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm no automobile expert, Sir. It bounces no more or no less than any other car on crappy sections of our roads. And in such sections I'd rather be driving/sitting in a vehicle that throws me around a bit rather than one that decimates my investment in a car.
A Fortuner felt thousands of miles ahead in ride quality/bounciness as compared to the DMAX from the word go, same road, same everything and a Fortuner is known for its bouncy vehicle. My parents nearly had a headache sitting in the DMax on the same road. 100-150 kg of dead weight maybe might change that but a 100-150 kg might change the same in a Fortuner too.

Let's just agree to disagree.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks