Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2016, 21:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun

A couple of more videos while driving in the slush, Man i was scared at certain parts, The road was a bit narrow with steep fall both the sides directly into water, The slush at some points was getting very deep which was making the car slide and loose traction once a while, But all in all the car did route well, The guy in the i20 kept on going after asking me if i would follow, He had a tough time really and he did have some guts! Could see his car sliding again and again and wheel spinning big time!

Couple of Videos, Please excuse the quality since all this was with family on board!

Tanveer_2558 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 11:51   #32
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV-500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report

I coudnt find any other thread to post this, hence posting it here, hope you dont mind. We did test a XUV 500 awd yesterday in slush. This was the same place where this same XUV was stuck before and we found out that the AWD system had some problem and not working properly. The SC then changed few parts of this vehicle. Yesterday it worked all fine. Enjoy the video -

Uprasenjit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 23:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
I coudnt find any other thread to post this, hence posting it here, hope you dont mind. We did test a XUV 500 awd yesterday in slush. This was the same place where this same XUV was stuck before and we found out that the AWD system had some problem and not working properly. The SC then changed few parts of this vehicle. Yesterday it worked all fine. Enjoy the video -
I don't consider myself a very experienced off-roader but it looked like the approach angle at several points were just not good and hence the car struggled soo much, Nice video though, What problem did you face with the AWD system before?
Old 11th August 2016, 15:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
I coudnt find any other thread to post this, hence posting it here, hope you dont mind. We did test a XUV 500 awd yesterday in slush. This was the same place where this same XUV was stuck before and we found out that the AWD system had some problem and not working properly.
Where is this place you went to? I want to drive my Scorp there. Been a while since I went off-roading.
Old 11th August 2016, 15:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I don't consider myself a very experienced off-roader but it looked like the approach angle at several points were just not good and hence the car struggled soo much, Nice video though, What problem did you face with the AWD system before?
According to the owner- " The rear wheels were not getting torque even in AWD lock mode. They detected the problem with a pinion in the gear box/transfer case which was responsible for transfering power to the rear wheel.
Instead of replacing the problem component, Mahindra opted for a complete replacement fo the gear box and transfer case. Now the system is working as expected"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Where is this place you went to? I want to drive my Scorp there. Been a while since I went off-roading.
This is in Rajarhat, near EcoSpace building. Next time you are here call black pearl, he will happily take you there
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 17:33   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ From above video, it looks more of a traction issue.

I own a FWD XUV and have found myself in few situations both in slush and dry surface where vehicles tends to drift sideways like in video above. The other car I own, Alto used to get over similar situations easily.

From my experience, the issue is due to tyre loosing traction and due to heavier body weight of XUV compared to Alto.

One trick I usually do is to switch off ESP, slot in first and keep RPM ~ 1600 range. This makes the vehicle more responsive and momentum keeps you going through slush.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 23:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ From above video, it looks more of a traction issue.
The video posted above by Uprasenjit is after the AWD problem has been rectified. Yes at this time it was a traction issue but all the 4 wheels were getting power. However in the previous instance (video not posted) there was no power in the rear wheels and the car was behaving like a FWD one. That time we had to tow it out of the slush.
I was the driver in both the instances.
Old 7th August 2017, 02:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Looks fun right? Indeed it was!
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-webp.netcompressimage.jpg

The above picture was just one portion of what we crossed, We explored some amazing trails,

5 of us decided to head out, 4 of the xuv's were FWD & only mine was the AWD version, But i really believe good driver's are equally important to tackle the obstacles, An inexperienced driver in an AWD can get stuck at the same place where a experienced driver manages his throttle properly and crossed the same spot in his FWD, But sure having an AWD makes it a LOT more easier while going through such trails.

We kept on exploring, Then it reached a point where we had no mobile network, No internet, No GPS either to navigate, But that's what makes it a tad more exciting isn't it? The place was lovely, Have a look at the video below, It was like that specific day was meant for US, Perfect cloudy weather, Perfect trails, Wasn't raining most of the time so we could easily get down any time we wanted & some breath taking views that we crossed too!

The place we were exploring was near Vaitarna Dam.

Commentary from Madhu during the video.

We drove through many types of conditions in one single day,

My favourite, Nasik route
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-smooth.jpg

Broken Patches
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-patches.jpg

Good or Bad roads, XUV takes them well!
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-smooth-thin.jpg

kept going where ever the trails took us
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-trails.jpg

Views on both the sides were just great!
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-view.jpg

The whole ghat section was covered with fog
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-fog.jpg

The weather God's gave us their best
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1645.jpg

We kept following trails & the end destinations were simply amazing most of the times!
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1610.jpg

As if convoy of XUV's was not enough to get attention on the road, We even have TORC T Shirts now!
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1604.jpg

Those tyres weren't meant to what they were doing, But hey we came out of everything we went into (Atleast that specific day)
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1673.jpg

I love the sunset orange when its dirty! A shining sunset orange colour won't awstruck me the way a dirty one does!
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1613.jpg

Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1621.jpg

Another video,

It was quite a view!
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1680.jpg

Aahhh! Nice!
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1708.jpg

Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1777.jpg

Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1861.jpg

We saw many such spots!
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1863.jpg

I wonder what bhpian Madhu was looking at?
Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-img_1865.jpg

While we are at the topic of off roading, I was recently at a Mercedes Off roading event, I liked the trail and the GLS that i drove, Another experience was sitting at the back seat getting the passenger experience , However the driver was totally inexperienced which led to some funny, Scary moments, I remember the instructor sitting in the front telling me, God save us

Until next time, Ciao!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 10:43   #39
BHPian

[quote=Tanveer_2558;4247472]
I wonder what bhpian Madhu was looking at?
Attachment 1664488

We were engaged in some serious discussion about Uttarakhand floods. You see that is the kind of thoughts that strike you when you see water all around

Nevertheless this was one of its kind experience. I have driven this car for almost 90k in last 4.5 yrs now but have always been handling it like a sedan. Never abused it. This is the first time I tried venturing out and it turned out to be an extremely capable car. We din't do hardcore offroading but more of fun in slush and mud and the car behaved very nicely. We were roaming around aimlessly and venturing out in all possible trails that were coming our way. Believe me, this is addictive! I am now looking forward for the next one.
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 13:52   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks fun right? Indeed it was!
Attachment 1664457
We drove through many types of conditions in one single day,
Great pics and videos Tanveer. AWDs make a lot of difference when compared to the 2WDs and tyres also play a huge role. Recently we drove an XUV AT AWD shod with Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain tyres and the car performed much better compared to the XUV AWD shod with stock HT Tyres. A pic of the XUV AT AWD -

Mahindra XUV500: Having some AWD fun-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_1.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nevertheless this was one of its kind experience. I have driven this car for almost 90k in last 4.5 yrs now but have always been handling it like a sedan. Never abused it. This is the first time I tried venturing out and it turned
out to be an extremely capable car
I am glad after 4.5 years and 90k kms, You did what you should have been doing since day 1, Modern SUV's are pretty abuse friendly and my personal experience with both my XUV's mechanically has been just great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Great pics and videos Tanveer. AWDs make a lot of difference when compared to the 2WDs and tyres also play a huge role. Recently we drove an XUV AT AWD shod with Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain tyres and the car performed much better compared to the XUV AWD shod with stock HT Tyres. A pic of the XUV AT AWD -
Thanks man, Indeed AWD makes a LOT of difference, It will take you places where the FWD will surely struggle to go, I would never own a SUV with a FWD avatar, Even my first XUV was supposed to be an AWD but well i had to wait 8 months for that, Hence i was forced to get the FWD, Surely i have heard good thing about the scorpion on the XUV, OEM tyres are obviously more road focused ones, Nice picture there
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 12:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I am glad after 4.5 years and 90k kms, You did what you should have been doing since day 1, Modern SUV's are pretty abuse friendly and my personal experience with both my XUV's mechanically has been just great!
Yes. Perhaps I took a long time to realize this.But this car will be there with me for couple of years now and i will surely push it more. Personally I thought all our FWDs fared pretty well on the trail we experienced. I would be keen to push the car further and see where FWD gives up and AWD scores over it. Not that I have a doubt but it would be interesting to experience this. Lets try this out in our next meet.
Old 9th August 2017, 13:17   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
I would be keen to push the car further and see where FWD gives up and AWD scores over it. Not that I have a doubt but it would be interesting to experience this. Lets try this out in our next meet.
Yes, personally I feel that it always good to know the limits that one can push his vehicle. By limits, I mean till that point where it does not get damaged. With mud and slush it easy to check the limits as damage is usually minimum as long as one cleans the vehicle after the session. Saying that, we have experienced that the 2WDs give up much earlier than the AWDs. Here is a video of a 2WD XUV almost getting stuck in mud. It came out after a lot of effort. AT Tyres would have definitely helped here. The AWD XUV with HT Tyres did not have any problem in this place.

Old 9th August 2017, 15:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
Yes. Perhaps I took a long time to realize this.But this car will be there with me for couple of years now and i will surely push it more. Personally I thought all our FWDs fared pretty well on the trail we experienced. I would be keen to push the car further and see where FWD gives up and AWD scores over it. Not that I have a doubt but it would be interesting to experience this. Lets try this out in our next meet.
Check out the video below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Yes, personally I feel that it always good to know the limits that one can push his vehicle. By limits, I mean till that point where it does not get damaged. With mud and slush it easy to check the limits as damage is usually minimum as long as one cleans the vehicle after the session. Saying that, we have experienced that the 2WDs give up much earlier than the AWDs. Here is a video of a 2WD XUV almost getting stuck in mud. It came out after a lot of effort. AT Tyres would have definitely helped here. The AWD XUV with HT Tyres did not have any problem in this place.
Mud and slush is fine usually, 2WD's can be a pain at times, Have a look at the video below, That's my car parked right next to it with a even more slippery surface without any kind of issue & both the FWD car's which were trying to park were having a tough time. In short AWD is surely a WIN WIN to have, Also look at the second video when the rear starts sliding sideways with the front wheels spinning for traction, Again here i could easily go through it.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 9th August 2017 at 16:06.

Most Viewed