Team-BHP - Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/201958-pics-report-palar-offroad-challenge.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 4401475)
Hi Guys,

6th-9th September - The Palar Challenge

Regards,

Arka

The Palar Challenge - TPC2018

The 12th Palar Challenge TPC2018 happened on 8the Sept, 2018.
Assembly of the participants was at Motel Mamalla, where the participants were treated to a sumptuous idli,vada,dosa breakfast, and the initial briefing.

The competition stage was taken off and this was meant to be a fun filled off road event, with all the stages set up for what a completion would have been, but slightly on the easier side.

The drive to Palar took about 30 minutes and was done in an orderly manner with the convoy being led by a Terra Tiger (TT) marshal, and followed by the marshals.

The convoy consisted of mainly Mahindra jeeps and Thars and Gypsys. There was a Pajero and an Isuzu Vcross that wanted to check out the TPC. There were vehicles modified for pure and hardcore off roading, complete with mud tyres and roll cages, there were vehicles prepared for mild offroading by adding up a snorkel, AT tyres and removed bumpers, and there were stock vehicles.
All gathered with just one purpose - to have a fun filled and memorable weekend.

At the onset of the river bed, the first grouping was held and the types of terrain that would be tackled for the day was explained to the participants.
Although the event was not going to be a competition, 5 special stages (SS) were arranged apart from the tough Palar bed that the participants were going to drive through.

These 5 SS were arranged in lines of what a competition SS would have been, but in a scaled down version, and with no time limits and no negative marking or red flags. This was going to be a pure fun off road, where you could drive competitively if you wanted to get into the original TPC spirit, or drive and tackle the SS at your own pace.

Deflating tyres and briefing done, the entire group was split into 2 convoys, and led to different SS, so that by evening all participants would have covered and completed all SS.

The TT marshals were present at all 5 SS, with their vehicles, to guide the participants through the SS, and ever ready to provide assistance to the stranded.
The route through and around the SS was first demonstrated by a TT marshal.

Even though the event was not a competitive one, the SS arranged were tough, and few first time off roaders and novices initially refused to drive through the SS, but gained the confidence and the courage, as they watched the others tackling the stages and clearing them, and then plunged into to do these.

There were failures to get through in the initial attempts, but with proper guidance and encouragements from the TT marshals, even the first timers got to feel the thrill and exhilaration of clearing the SS obstacles.

I had been to the Palar thrice before this event, but the TPC was a different ball game altogether, and with the SS arranges with flags, your driving skills and the vehicle was put to the test and limit. Just wondering how it would have been, had the TPC2018 been a real competition.

The Race Dynamics tuning box equipped Thar came out with flying colors, not to mention the state in which I came out. Happy and with a state of achievement. clap:

Few photos of the event

The initial gathering for briefing, doubts clearing and deflating tyres.
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-briefing-1.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-briefing-2.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-briefing-3.jpg

The line up before being split into different groups
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-regroup-2.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-regroup-3.jpg

Tackling the sand dunes. One of the 5 SS
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-dune-1.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-dune-4.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-dune-5.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-dune-6.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-dune-gypsy-2.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-dune-gypsy.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-pajero-up-dune.jpg

A Gypsy tackling one of the SS, being guided to the proper approach
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-gypsy-dune.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-gypsy-down-rut.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-gypsy-rut.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-gypsy-1.jpg

A Gypsy gunning it up a SS
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-gypsy.jpg

A TT marshal and his vehicle watching over the participants
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-invader.jpg

Getting breached due to the lack of momentum, and needed to be pulled out
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-breached-red-thar-1.jpgPics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-breached-sand-thar.jpg

The jump required to get over the obstacle.
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-thar-jump-2.png
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-thar-clearing-rut.jpg

The grouping for lunch - Curd rice, chicken and vegetables.
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-line-up-1.jpg

One of the TT marshals cooling down after pulling out the stranded
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-thar-cooling-down.jpg

Climbing up a SS
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-rut-silver-thar.png
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-thar-jump-3.png

And the sun sets at Palar
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-sunset-palar.jpg

Dune bashing in the dark
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-dune-night-1.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-dune-night-red-thar.jpg

Time to call it a day, or night.
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-thar-calling-day.jpg

Few videos of the event.

A Thar takes the climb with ease.
https://youtu.be/b7lGAt9PRz4

The tough Pajero guided gently to tackle the rough
https://youtu.be/L7Vo-mdhECU

The Pajero in action
https://youtu.be/o9DC8NC8ork

After getting breached a couple of times, this participant finally gets it right
https://youtu.be/H_47q6bK7Pg

The right approach, speed and carrying the momentum gets you to the top.
https://youtu.be/JoEW2hSRvt0

An Isuzu VCross getting over his anxiety, and getting toughened.
https://youtu.be/Dd3eXl0X7n0

The evening came too soon, as the sun set across the other end of the Palar, but not before participants were allowed to tackle one last sand dune in the darkness, with only their headlights lighting up the path and the approach flags, and I guess a lot, including myself would be contemplating on getting a long LED bar fitted on the roof with additional LED fog lamps.

The event came to an end with the final grouping at the top of a sand dune, with all participants and vehicles covered in dust and salt, but with a wide grin from ear to ear. :D

Thanx to Arka and the Terra Tigers team for choosing the terrain, arranging the Special Stages, organizing and conducting this event beautifully, without any untoward incidents or breakdown.

This truly was an event where the ‘Novice gets Toughened’ and the ‘Tough gets seasoned’.

I am still in the ‘toughening’ stage and waiting for the next event

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX (Post 4463430)
The Palar Challenge - TPC2018

Thanks for sharing, brings back lot of old memories. One of the first Offroad competitions that used to happen in India.

The terrain and weather makes it really unique in India. As usual Arka and team has done an awesome job.

Great read. I am actually glad that TPC is no more a competition. It was a competition when no one else was. So it was unique that way. Now every event is a competition. So it was time for TPC to move on and blaze a new path.

I prefer challenging the terrain, in cooperation with other around me. Best way to make friends.

@CAPTAIN REX - Thanks for putting this up. Nice pictures and seems like you all had great fun. I participated once with Arka and his team in a similar event when i had my Thar - it was real fun and they took good care.

BTW, which is your Thar in the photos ? hope you undertook the challenge as well.

Swami

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 4463922)
Great read. I am actually glad that TPC is no more a competition.

I prefer challenging the terrain, in cooperation with other around me. Best way to make friends.

True that, Samurai. A competition comes with its own set of rules and vehicle specs, especially the need for the roll cages, towing equipment etc, which mine and a lot of other vehicles did not have, and not to mention making enemies, instead of friends. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami69 (Post 4464008)
@CAPTAIN REX - Thanks for putting this up. Nice pictures and seems like you all had great fun. I participated once with Arka and his team in a similar event when i had my Thar - it was real fun and they took good care.

BTW, which is your Thar in the photos ? hope you undertook the challenge as well.

Swami

Yes Swami, we had loads of fun. Mine is a silver Thar, and took up all the challenges and got through, few of them on the 2nd or 3rd attempts. Got stranded twice and had to be towed out. :)

The RD box in P2 made climbing up the dunes a piece of cake.

A few random photos.
The first 2 is of my Thar.

Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-img_6285.png
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-img_6284.png

Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-bmdu0263.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-ikvr2903.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-lhgb7608.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-nxte1900.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-vbed1703.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-kiwo1130.jpg

Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-smip5555.jpg
Pics & Report: The Palar Offroad Challenge-tixh3549.jpg

WOW! I had no idea that the TPC went non competitive.

TPC has been the foremost event in the country and i've always wanted to attend it but what kept me away has been the competitive format. Though i've organised competitive events, i personally do not like to participate in competitive events since it usually leads to damage to the vehicle and a complete digress in offroad driving techniques which goes against the main premise of as slow as possible and as fast as necessary. So in my book, competition is currently no no for me.

With this format, i would definitely explore the possibility of going to the famous Palar River bed next year.

It’s always great to see a good Offroad event report thread with nice pics and videos. Thanks a ton for sharing.

When I attended TPC there was no RFC in India and easily it was the toughest challenge. Also the scoring and system that Arka had was fail proof especially back in that era all we had was start-stop-wham-Bham type of events.

Sad to see it’s no longer a competition, however this format gives you unlimited options to explore obstacles which in my opinion is more fun! clap:clap:

This thread brings back a lot of memories. The fact that this was a fun drive format instead of competition is really encouraging. I think a format wherein one or two days offroad with a night meet and greet party and stay at a hotel nearby would pull in a lot of crowd from surrounding cities and states. One thing is certain, the palar terrian is unique and with Terra Tigers resources, it is an event that should grow irrespective of the format.