Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2020, 07:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Storm-riding at Ice house! Snow-wheeling trip up the Sierras in 4x4s

Incredible TL @ TSK. Quick question: Does the same route have a lot of snow in summer?

I find it apt to quote J Clarkson here:
Quote:
Land Rover to go anywhere; Land Cruiser to come back
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 09:46   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Incredible TL @ TSK. Quick question: Does the same route have a lot of snow in summer?

I find it apt to quote J Clarkson here:
Nope. Though snow may linger well into June and sometimes July if the March April have had lots of snow. Even then, the roads are mostly clear and you would find snow in the permanently shaded areas.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 08:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

That is the first time I've seen two vehicles operating in tandem to recover another vehicle. Its like two or multiple locomotives operating on a freight consist. Very nice. Being the USA, I guess the convoy were mostly gasoline powered?

How do manage fuel for trips like these? Do remote places like these have gasoline outlets?

I see A Toyota Tacoma in the convoy. How is it different to a Hilux?

Thanks for sharing. Must have been an experience, driving in such conditions.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 12:31   #19
BHPian

Wow, that was one heck of a one day trip. Great pictures. Its eerie to think that you were alone in a (very capable) car and last in a convoy driving through deep snow!

Thanks to you, your trip reminded me of a visit to Shimla's Kufri in 2012. We were a group of 10 people, returning back from the peak of the small hill (kufri). We went uphill on mules. While returning, it was getting dark. So no mules for us. We boarded the bed of a pick up truck (a bolero). It was snowing the whole evening. The path was ghat road with sharp turns (almost U turns). There was about 5 inches of snow (plus a lot of mule-dung beneath it). It was my first time being on a vehicle that was driving on snow, and that too on a ghat road. Even while we were boarding, the bolero was slipping with the brakes on. I was worried about the steep inclines ending with a cliff (U turn there). To my surprise, driver braked at about half distance, and we were gracefully sliding (downhill towards a cliff) without any indication of the driver trying to prepare to steer for a U turn. Upon reaching the apex of the turn, he tried reversing the bolero till the next turn!

The driver was very confident owing to his years of experience on the same path. But we were terrified. The snowfall, pitch dark valley, and we were on an open bed of a vehicle moving backwards! At the next turn, he got the vehicle straight. The reverse drive was repeated once more, and we were back to the base!
Needless to say, that was one very memorable drive for everyone there.
Old 22nd April 2020, 03:28   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That is the first time I've seen two vehicles operating in tandem to recover another vehicle. Its like two or multiple locomotives operating on a freight consist. Very nice. Being the USA, I guess the convoy were mostly gasoline powered?
How do manage fuel for trips like these? Do remote places like these have gasoline outlets?
Not mostly, but 100 %
This was not really remote. And USA there is a gas station even in remote locations. There do exist some parts in the western deserts where the nearest gas may be 100-150 miles away, like black rock desert
With around 300 miles of range its a good idea to carry gas
Storm-riding at Ice house! Snow-wheeling trip up the Sierras in 4x4s-20171029_132129_hdr.jpg

Quote:
I see A Toyota Tacoma in the convoy. How is it different to a Hilux?
From a capability wise, its almost the same the TRD Pro/Offroad versions have a real E-Locker. Its one of the most popular midsize offroad trucks out there. If it were a little bigger on the inside, we would have gotten one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bentley View Post
Wow, that was one heck of a one day trip. Great pictures. Its eerie to think that you were alone in a (very capable) car and last in a convoy driving through deep snow!

Thanks to you, your trip reminded me of a visit to Shimla's Kufri in 2012. We were a group of 10 people, returning back from the peak of the small hill (kufri). We went uphill on mules. While returning, it was getting dark. So no mules for us. We boarded the bed of a pick up truck (a bolero). It was snowing the whole evening. The path was ghat road with sharp turns (almost U turns). There was about 5 inches of snow (plus a lot of mule-dung beneath it). It was my first time being on a vehicle that was driving on snow, and that too on a ghat road. Even while we were boarding, the bolero was slipping with the brakes on. I was worried about the steep inclines ending with a cliff (U turn there). To my surprise, driver braked at about half distance, and we were gracefully sliding (downhill towards a cliff) without any indication of the driver trying to prepare to steer for a U turn. Upon reaching the apex of the turn, he tried reversing the bolero till the next turn!

The driver was very confident owing to his years of experience on the same path. But we were terrified. The snowfall, pitch dark valley, and we were on an open bed of a vehicle moving backwards! At the next turn, he got the vehicle straight. The reverse drive was repeated once more, and we were back to the base!
Needless to say, that was one very memorable drive for everyone there.
Yup, Himalayas are very very scary, whether you are the passenger or the driver. Far scarier than the west with well engineered roads in the mountains (though the off road trails get pretty tough and dangerous).

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th April 2020 at 10:12.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 15:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing write up! And indeed a hair raising adventure!

Many thanks to you for bringing these beauties to feast our eyes (which by the way has already turned green with jealousy ). I visited Kashmir (India's local snow store) in December in search of snow. I should say that I got served in plenty. However, not anywhere close to what you guys have on your plate.

Keep revving. Drive Safe and cheers!
Old 25th April 2020, 12:45   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Amazing write up! And indeed a hair raising adventure!

Many thanks to you for bringing these beauties to feast our eyes (which by the way has already turned green with jealousy ). I visited Kashmir (India's local snow store) in December in search of snow. I should say that I got served in plenty. However, not anywhere close to what you guys have on your plate.

Keep revving. Drive Safe and cheers!
Thanks! The GXs are truly marvelous. The joy of sitting in the prado cockpit and experiencing the full power of the V8 is truly sometime else. There are times, when I am just driving around with disbelief. This has been our dream vehicle for a long time(the landcruisers). That said, every time we fill up the 11mpg does dampen the cheer a little bit
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 14:29   #23
BHPian

Re: The Ditch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No recoveries needed, no sliding into places you are not supposed to slide into, and no getting stuck. Well it was no fun. I decided to be the pioneer.
You had me when I read these lines.

Snow upticks the beauty and adventure of such trips by many notches. Enviable experience with a short and sweet narrative I must say. Time well spent on a Saturday morning reading this!
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks