Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 20:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Offroading with the 2020 Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
The Obstacle are too tight. In a promotional display offroad track, spotting should not be needed. Was this a permanent offroad track or was it specially dug up for this event?
This is a permanent track. I guess since most drivers were novice, a certain safety protocol had to be maintained. Specially if one is driving a new vehicle over the obstacles.
If not done properly, one could damage the vehicle ( and yourself)!
Old 14th October 2020, 20:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
We could get test drives of Thar 2020 on road but couldn't test it in offroad track.
I was excited when i was offered to test drive Thar 2020 in bangalore's offroad track Dirty Drivez.
Some of us arrived a little before you did the drift. Did not realize there was a fellow team-bhpian at the wheel!

For me the overall experience of the TD was not all that great- not because of the vehicle, rather was left confused with conflicting instructions from the guy sitting next to us and the spotter.
Old 14th October 2020, 21:35   #18
BHPian

I have just one question - how did they manage to keep those rims so clean??

On the minuscule price difference between the petrol and the diesel, I am guessing this is the first time a petrol turbo is being compared to a diesel turbo, when the fuel prices are similar. The earlier comparisons were all between a NA petrol and a turbo diesel in an era where there was a significant price difference between the fuels. so there was definitely some aspect of the manufacturers cashing in on the preference for a Diesel engine.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 21:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
The Obstacle are too tight. In a promotional display offroad track, spotting should not be needed.
Spotting was a precautionary measure by dirty drivez team. Even salesmen were running next to Thar asking customers to drive carefully as one small mistake a lot can go wrong in a new vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If Mahindra actively arranged for this event with the new Thar by investing some funds for the event - its excellent. Good to see the marketing team leveraging easily accessible facilities for showcasing the car & providing an opportunity to experience something beyond the usual mundane highway test drive offered by a dealership. Credit to M&M sales/marketing teams.
Credit should be given to PPS motors bangalore who tried to take a different route than others dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
I have just one question - how did they manage to keep those rims so clean??
The last obstacle anyone would do will be water wading so.

Last edited by brraj : 14th October 2020 at 21:42.
Old 14th October 2020, 23:56   #20
BHPian

Wonderful report, Seems like a good fun event combined with the knowledge gain.
Old 15th October 2020, 00:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
In another conversation somebody said upsizing tyres would mess with ABS/EBD measurements calculations and proper functioning. How true is this?
Won't matter. The sensors aren't on the wheel itself.
Old 15th October 2020, 07:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
The biggest surprise for me though has to be almost minuscule difference between petrol and diesel. Have all other manufacturers been cheating us by charging 1l to 2l extra for diesel engines all these years? Or Mahindra is just taking a hit on diesels here. I hope these are not "introductory" prices.
The answer lies in the fact that this is no ordinary Petrol. It is turbo-charged and direct injected. Plus it is not one of those small and puny GDI engines put out out by the Korean cousins. This is a full blown 2 litre turbo-petrol - very similar in volume and construction to an unit you would find in an Audi A4, a Skoda Superb or a BMW 330i - all 30 lakh+ cars. Fundamentally the engine has almost every single innovative technology exactly as in these luxury cars, it is just tuned very differently for much lower output considering the off-road nature of the vehicle. The Diesel, on the other hand, has not revolved much other than the change to an aluminium block and BS6 emissions. For all these reasons, I actually expected the petrol Thars to be priced higher than the equivalent Diesels before the vehicle launched.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 15th October 2020 at 07:38.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 10:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I'm digging the steelies too. In fact I liked that Mahindra painted them white. Of course once novelty wears off, painting them is easy. Black would look great with bigger profile tyres.
Offroading with the 2020 Mahindra Thar-capture.png

Offroading with the 2020 Mahindra Thar-capture1.png

Picture credits: Overdrive YT channel

Yes! Maybe I'd go for the convertible top. But these white wheels with AT tires looks stunning!
Also, Red one would be my pick.

Offroading with the 2020 Mahindra Thar-20200723_094321_hdr.jpg
Bought the EcoSport this July. Yes, I am complaining that I'll have to wait a year or two to buy the Thar, but I'm not regretting.

Offroading with the 2020 Mahindra Thar-20191220_104922.jpg
My favorite car till date. Never had a problem with it. It kick started the traveller in me. Done Kolkata-Visakhapatnam(2018), Rajasthan(2019), and Delhi-Kolkata(2020) with it. Such reliable machine. Such comfort! And that cooled glovebox! Definitely the best in the segment for someone like me.

I'm planning to make a red car garage heaven. Will add some unique touch to them, so that they share something common. Like some white stripes to both.
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
On the minuscule price difference between the petrol and the diesel, I am guessing this is the first time a petrol turbo is being compared to a diesel turbo, when the fuel prices are similar.
I once saw, and smelled, a gasoline vehicle with occupants explode and burn. No survivors. Nasty deaths. Diesel fuel does not explode and burn. Throw a match into a cup of diesel fuel and it goes out. Of course, the chances of a gasoline vehicle burning down are rare. But mindless drivers, four-wheeling, mountain trekking all make fuel a safety consideration IMHO. I'd rather have a good diesel if it was available.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:20   #25

The marketing campaign of mahindra is surprising. I believe one must do some serious research before buying this vehicle for heavy or moderate off road purpose. The biggest concern for me is radiator placement which is put together just before front differential and notably lower. There is a off road video on youtube where thar 2020 has faced some serious issue while going moderate level off road. I've put link below do check it. I'll be digging more into this topic and keep you guys posted.

Sagar77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 13:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

No vehicle design can be idiot-proof. Moreover, almost no factory spec., road legal vehicle can be guaranteed to be able to withstand all types of extreme off-road abuse.

For any serious off-road use, a vehicle needs to be prepared in advance, vulnerabilities addressed, recovery requirements taken care of, and finally some driver training is in order.

Yes the radiator looks vulnerable but is it a critical flaw - No! Something easily taken care off with a properly designed off-road bumper and skid plate.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 16:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagar77 View Post
The marketing campaign of mahindra is surprising. I've put link below do check it. I'll be digging more into this topic and keep you guys posted.

https://Youtu.be/fe0YuC1Fklo?list=UU...m0mqe5vTP1EJTA
This car belongs to one of our fellow members and he has provided more details that is available in the official review thread. I’m somehow unable to reference the post here ( typing this from my phone )

Most Viewed